Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   Would a Specialized Bighit be unpractical for mostly XC riding? (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/121790-would-specialized-bighit-unpractical-mostly-xc-riding.html)

SFV Rider. 07-14-05 02:20 PM

Would a Specialized Bighit be unpractical for mostly XC riding?
 
As my search for a new bike continues, I realize that although I enjoy freeriding and downhill, I mostly ride XC and will continue to as well. I am going to keep my Hardrock and do a few inexpensive upgrades, but I have decided to get a new bike. I can get a pretty good deal on a slightly used one, this is why I ask.

zx108 07-14-05 02:28 PM

yes, the bighit is the farthest thing from an xc bike.

nmn25 07-14-05 02:34 PM

if you are looking for something that can be used for xc but also fr and dh, the look at the kona dawg or coiler series. Kona calls their dog series a blend of fr and xc. The coiler is a little more fr oriented but less so than the big hit. what is you budget. do you have to buy used. ultimately, the best way to figure what bike is best for you would be to test ride them and see which you like the best. back to your question, the bighit would be horrible for xc ( my friend have a 2005 and it is a PAIN to peddle).

x550x 07-14-05 02:37 PM

Well, if it has two wheels and pedals technically you could ride it XC. There is going to be a big penalty on weight. Suspension travel is way to much for XC. It's not the most nimble thing in the world. Geometry isn't very well suited for XC either. It doesn't sound like to much fun to me. The Hardrock would be much better. If you are keeping it why not have both??

SFV Rider. 07-14-05 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by zx108
yes, the bighit is the farthest thing from an xc bike.

This was my guess. Thanks.

SFV Rider. 07-14-05 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by nmn25
if you are looking for something that can be used for xc but also fr and dh, the look at the kona dawg or coiler series. Kona calls their dog series a blend of fr and xc. The coiler is a little more fr oriented but less so than the big hit. what is you budget. do you have to buy used. ultimately, the best way to figure what bike is best for you would be to test ride them and see which you like the best. back to your question, the bighit would be horrible for xc ( my friend have a 2005 and it is a PAIN to peddle).

Thanks. Would you say that a Stumpjumer FSR falls into the same category as dawg and coiler series? I guess I could spend a max of 2k, but I'd much rather spend around 1-1.5k.

SFV Rider. 07-14-05 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by x550x
If you are keeping it why not have both??

Good point... But Iím mostly keeping the Hardrock so I can leave it at my girlfriends house so I can go riding over there when Iím in her neck of the woods.. (great trails by her house :D) And I sometimes go over there unexpectedly and won't have my main bike with me. I need a good all around bike.

handlebarsfsr 07-14-05 03:11 PM


Originally Posted by SFV Rider.
Thanks. Would you say that a Stumpjumer FSR falls into the same category as dawg and coiler series? I guess I could spend a max of 2k, but I'd much rather spend around 1-1.5k.


the enduro is more like a dawg, the sx trail is more of a coiler class bike. it depends on which bighit you choose, some of the older bighits had 5.5-6.5" travel and could work as decent xc bikes, i know several people who ride 7" travel santa cruz bullits as xc bikes also.

CranxOC 07-14-05 03:37 PM


Originally Posted by SFV Rider.
As my search for a new bike continues, I realize that although I enjoy freeriding and downhill, I mostly ride XC and will continue to as well. I am going to keep my Hardrock and do a few inexpensive upgrades, but I have decided to get a new bike. I can get a pretty good deal on a slightly used one, this is why I ask.

In a word: yes. Go with an Enduro; best of both worlds.

zx108 07-14-05 06:44 PM

the enduro sx trail for bigger hit capability (that is right out of the 2005 catalog:) )

cryptid01 07-14-05 06:59 PM

SFV, I would look for a used 03 or 04 Enduro, they're strong, efficient frames and there're quite a few available on the used market lately, many as brand new warranty replacements.

SFV Rider. 07-15-05 12:16 AM


Originally Posted by CranxOC
In a word: yes. Go with an Enduro; best of both worlds.

Seems like it would be a good fit for me.. The Enduro is a competent climber?

SFV Rider. 07-15-05 12:18 AM


Originally Posted by gastro
SFV, I would look for a used 03 or 04 Enduro, they're strong, efficient frames and there're quite a few available on the used market lately, many as brand new warranty replacements.

Here's one on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1

The first picture cracks me up... :eek:

Raiyn 07-15-05 12:30 AM


Originally Posted by SFV Rider.
Seems like it would be a good fit for me.. The Enduro is a competent climber?

The FSR suspension design really helps it on the climbs

nmn25 07-15-05 06:56 PM


Thanks. Would you say that a Stumpjumer FSR falls into the same category as dawg and coiler series? I guess I could spend a max of 2k, but I'd much rather spend around 1-1.5k.
it is more similar to a dog than a coiler. The coiler will be much stronger and have more travel, but the specialized will be easier to climb and peddle. It sounds like the fsr is a little more xc oriented than what you want, the enduro would be better, but also more exspensive. look at the giant reign 3, it has longer (6 rear, 5+ front) travel, great components and the maestro suspension (easy peddling etc..) all for about 1600. here is the linkhttp://www.giant-bicycle.com/us/030....sp?model=11149

Maelstrom 07-15-05 11:48 PM


Originally Posted by CranxOC
In a word: yes. Go with an Enduro; best of both worlds.

Yep. Enduros are tough as nails. I have seen these used on the mountain with consistency. A bighit isn't bad if your goal is the downhill part, but if you mostly xc than bighits just won't cut it. :)

I would definately second an enduro if you still want something tough with fsr, 26" rear wheel :)

SFV Rider. 07-16-05 12:10 AM

I think I'm going to purchase an Enduro as soon as I find one that I like and in my price range. I'm about 5'7 165. I'm not sure if I'd want a small or medium frame.. I think i'll head over to the bike shop tomorrow and ride both sizes to see what fits me better. I'm a bit weary of buying a used bike, even though financially it makes more sense. They might even have a used one for sale.

I don't know if it's blind loyalty or a quality product... Probably both. but I like Specialized bikes.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.