Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

28 spoke wheels for heavy rider

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

28 spoke wheels for heavy rider

Old 04-03-22, 10:07 AM
  #1  
gattm99
Rouleur
Thread Starter
 
gattm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: HARRISBURG IL
Posts: 741

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
28 spoke wheels for heavy rider

I'm a big guy with a specialized chisel that came with 28 spoke wheels. Having constant issues with broken spokes on the rear wheel. Thinking of buying a 32 hole XT boost hub and building up a new wheel, I have a new stans rim and would just have to buy spokes. Probably be about 100 dollars investment as i can build wheels. Or is there a strong rear wheel someone would suggest?
gattm99 is offline  
Old 04-03-22, 03:32 PM
  #2  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,051

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,126 Posts
Which Stan's rim? They make more than 1 you know.
cxwrench is offline  
Old 04-06-22, 04:34 PM
  #3  
tungsten
Senior Member
 
tungsten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 159

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / CroMag Wideangle/

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah which rim? But sure 32 hole better use non-butted 14 ga spokes and brass nipples.
tungsten is offline  
Old 04-07-22, 03:17 AM
  #4  
Attilio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 72

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Sorry to be a little... as the British call "cheeky" but why not just deal with the elephant in the room and lose weight? If you're that heavy you're breaking wheels then a wheelset is the least of your concerns because that means you're heavy enough to be breaking arteries, joints, pancreas, kidneys, heart and brains too. There isn't an organ that isn't negatively affected and won't be diseased in some way by obesity. It's such a prevalent condition that people think it's OK or normal and have a warped sensation of what constitute a healthy weight. Realistically nobody should be over 200lbs except the most muscular of over 6 footers and even then not by much. But the truth is that fat acceptance should be retitled "dialysis" or "stroke" or "life expectancy and quality of life reduction" acceptance because that's where it's going to lead yet nobody draws the dotted line 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Ignorance is bliss but it doesn't extenuate you or prevent the consequences of your actions.

I commend you for cycling but the real truth is that exercise does NOT help you lose much weight, almost all of your excess poundage is diet or should I say excess calorie related. Probably the easiest way to get yourself to a healthy weight is eliminating carbs and processed food, eliminating all alcohol as the new studies show there is no safe dose and it inhibits fat metabolism or burning, and intermittent fasting. Portion control is also helpful, if you wish to change nothing then start with eating just 75% of what you are currently consuming. Eliminate all sweet or sugary drinks too and NEVER eat in front of screens as that hijacks your attention making you eat way more than you think.

The resources are out there more than ever to help you. Strongly consider consulting with nutritionist and as always with any lifestyle change, talk to your doctor first.
Attilio is offline  
Old 04-07-22, 06:24 PM
  #5  
geomiko
Member
 
geomiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 39

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio View Post
If you're that heavy you're breaking wheels then a wheelset is the least of your concerns because that means you're heavy enough to be breaking arteries, joints, pancreas, kidneys, heart and brains too.
As the Brits might say, this is rubbish.

Not every cyclist is a 5 foot 7 120 pound TDF athlete, and even those guys wreck wheels. Stuff happens. A 28 spoke count is low for a rear MTB wheel. Combine that with an extreme riding style, and a few broken spokes isn't unheard of.

OP, as others have said, I'd try the higher spoke count, and get thicker spokes. Since you have some of the supplies already, why not try it out and see if it makes the difference. Could be a fun project and save you some heartache in the future.

Cheers
geomiko is offline  
Likes For geomiko:
Old 04-07-22, 08:21 PM
  #6  
Attilio
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 72

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by geomiko View Post
As the Brits might say, this is rubbish.

Not every cyclist is a 5 foot 7 120 pound TDF athlete, and even those guys wreck wheels. Stuff happens. A 28 spoke count is low for a rear MTB wheel. Combine that with an extreme riding style, and a few broken spokes isn't unheard of.

OP, as others have said, I'd try the higher spoke count, and get thicker spokes. Since you have some of the supplies already, why not try it out and see if it makes the difference. Could be a fun project and save you some heartache in the future.

Cheers
OP mentioned being heavy but let's be real. How heavy do you have to be to break wheels? Am 6'5", 185lbs and ride a LOT under many conditions, never broke a wheel. I had two friends (well only one now the other killed himself) that are obese and ride, one is quite fast but neither broke wheels. Let's face it the % of overweight/obese is so high that people think it's normal and that the world needs to change to adapt to their self destructive habits. If you're heavy and breaking wheels, it's not a wheel problem.

Absolutely not rubbish that every pound above BMI 25, especially 30 is shortening your lifespan and reducing the remaining quality thereof. Realistically most people's healthy weight is a lot less than that (flat stomach). If I had a penny for every person who said "it's all muscle" yet harbored a round beer gut....many act like it's so hard these days so I think BMI 25 is a good start as that gets you out of most of the metabolic danger zone once accomplished you can keep going below that with more tweaks.

Last edited by Attilio; 04-07-22 at 08:24 PM.
Attilio is offline  
Old 04-09-22, 03:16 PM
  #7  
cxwrench
Senior Member
 
cxwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 3,051

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,126 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
Yeah which rim? But sure 32 hole better use non-butted 14 ga spokes and brass nipples.
Wrong. Butted spokes will be more durable all other things being equal. A 14/15/14 will outlive a straight 14 pretty much every time.
cxwrench is offline  
Old 04-10-22, 02:53 PM
  #8  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 84 Posts
You can also have someone relace the wheels and provide 3-across spokes. There is more flex available and when I was doing tours in places where the nearest bike shop was 300 miles away I even built a set of wheels with 4-across spokes and never broke a spoke. You will have longer than average spokes so you will need to buy new spare spokes, just in case. Better and stronger premium grade spokes cost more but the added expense is relatively minor and a good investment.
Calsun is offline  
Old 04-12-22, 10:00 AM
  #9  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,437

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio View Post
Sorry to be a little... as the British call "cheeky" but why not just deal with the elephant in the room and lose weight? If you're that heavy you're breaking wheels then a wheelset is the least of your concerns because that means you're heavy enough to be breaking arteries, joints, pancreas, kidneys, heart and brains too. There isn't an organ that isn't negatively affected and won't be diseased in some way by obesity. It's such a prevalent condition that people think it's OK or normal and have a warped sensation of what constitute a healthy weight. Realistically nobody should be over 200lbs except the most muscular of over 6 footers and even then not by much. But the truth is that fat acceptance should be retitled "dialysis" or "stroke" or "life expectancy and quality of life reduction" acceptance because that's where it's going to lead yet nobody draws the dotted line 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Ignorance is bliss but it doesn't extenuate you or prevent the consequences of your actions.

I commend you for cycling but the real truth is that exercise does NOT help you lose much weight, almost all of your excess poundage is diet or should I say excess calorie related. Probably the easiest way to get yourself to a healthy weight is eliminating carbs and processed food, eliminating all alcohol as the new studies show there is no safe dose and it inhibits fat metabolism or burning, and intermittent fasting. Portion control is also helpful, if you wish to change nothing then start with eating just 75% of what you are currently consuming. Eliminate all sweet or sugary drinks too and NEVER eat in front of screens as that hijacks your attention making you eat way more than you think.

The resources are out there more than ever to help you. Strongly consider consulting with nutritionist and as always with any lifestyle change, talk to your doctor first.
What an asinine thing to post.
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-12-22, 10:18 AM
  #10  
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker
 
Kapusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,437

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Turner 5-Spot, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 2,029 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by Attilio View Post
OP mentioned being heavy but let's be real. How heavy do you have to be to break wheels? Am 6'5", 185lbs and ride a LOT under many conditions, never broke a wheel. I had two friends (well only one now the other killed himself) that are obese and ride, one is quite fast but neither broke wheels. Let's face it the % of overweight/obese is so high that people think it's normal and that the world needs to change to adapt to their self destructive habits. If you're heavy and breaking wheels, it's not a wheel problem.

Absolutely not rubbish that every pound above BMI 25, especially 30 is shortening your lifespan and reducing the remaining quality thereof. Realistically most people's healthy weight is a lot less than that (flat stomach). If I had a penny for every person who said "it's all muscle" yet harbored a round beer gut....many act like it's so hard these days so I think BMI 25 is a good start as that gets you out of most of the metabolic danger zone once accomplished you can keep going below that with more tweaks.
I have several riding buddies who regularly trash typical 32 spoke wheels and are certainly not overweight.

Heck, I just rode with a guy that could not be over 150lbs dripping wet, and he had just trashed a rear wheel.

But even if the OP is overweight (something you actually have no knowledge of), he came here looking for wheel advice, not to be lectured about something that is frankly none or your business.

And did I miss where the OP even gave his BMI?
Kapusta is offline  
Likes For Kapusta:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.