Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

rear derailleur protection?

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

rear derailleur protection?

Reply

Old 09-15-05, 09:08 AM
  #1  
gingerbread
Beginner Expert
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear derailleur protection?

i have a kona blast, it's a pretty strong bike but when im doing jumps and lips im always scared of bending or breaking the rear derailleur. I have done this once before and had to buy a new one. i cant see any other part of my bike breaking from the type of riding i do.
so i would like to know if you can get something to protect the rear derailleur?
cheers
gingerbread is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 09:29 AM
  #2  
shane45
Ouch!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No.
shane45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 09:47 AM
  #3  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,092

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
You could get a Rohloff internally geared hub and get rid of the rear derailleur altogether. Kind of expensive though.
freeranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 09:59 AM
  #4  
Totoro
King of the Forest
 
Totoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gingerbread
i have a kona blast, it's a pretty strong bike but when im doing jumps and lips im always scared of bending or breaking the rear derailleur. I have done this once before and had to buy a new one. i cant see any other part of my bike breaking from the type of riding i do.
so i would like to know if you can get something to protect the rear derailleur?
cheers

Some of my kids' bikes came with a metal bar that goes over the derailleur to give protection against falls.

Totoro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 10:04 AM
  #5  
MadMan2k
Canon fiend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,917

Bikes: old peugot frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Derraileurs tend to break if you smack them against stuff... either keep buying cheap ones or just go singlespeed so there's nothing there to break
MadMan2k is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 10:42 AM
  #6  
gingerbread
Beginner Expert
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Totoro
Some of my kids' bikes came with a metal bar that goes over the derailleur to give protection against falls.

yhe i think my 1st bike had one of them, ill see if i can get 1 to fit on mine
gingerbread is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 11:08 AM
  #7  
shane45
Ouch!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by gingerbread
yhe i think my 1st bike had one of them, ill see if i can get 1 to fit on mine
That thing is just one more useless POS that allows twigs and sticks to get caught in. Put one of those on, and you can start worrying about how many spokes you will need to replace every time you get a branch caught in it, as well as how to protect your derailleur.

The best protection is to simply carry a spare derailleur HANGER. Derailleurs seldom break - but the hangers certainly do.
shane45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 03:00 PM
  #8  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by shane45
That thing is just one more useless POS that allows twigs and sticks to get caught in. Put one of those on, and you can start worrying about how many spokes you will need to replace every time you get a branch caught in it, as well as how to protect your derailleur.

The best protection is to simply carry a spare derailleur HANGER. Derailleurs seldom break - but the hangers certainly do.
Exactly. All that thing does is keep stupid kids from knocking the derailieur out of adjustment by dropping the bike on the drive side. One good knock from a real crash and it's TOAST
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 04:44 PM
  #9  
cod3man
-default-
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 103

Bikes: 3 of them

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree, don't waste your time. Consider replacing your derailler the cost of learning. I have yet to break a derailler. Maybe hitting the gym and using the other side of your bike would help.
cod3man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 01:00 AM
  #10  
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?
 
Hopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,447

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can make a plastic formed deflector. However it will offet absolutely no protection to a derailleur if you cased a jump or land hard on your drive. It's main goal is to deflect rocks and if you slide and land light enough keep it intact. Here's an example of one my mate made.

Hopper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 09:00 AM
  #11  
DMN
Middle-ground Communist
 
DMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Isle of Wight - UK
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think theres a company called Rolfs Pucker Parts (some canadian company ) that make CND parts to stop your mech hanger being bent - it won't save the rear derailleur in a crash but will stop the mech hanger and rear derailleur bending into your wheel.
DMN is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service