Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Oh I know I'm going to get abused!

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Oh I know I'm going to get abused!

Reply

Old 09-15-05, 06:06 PM
  #1  
BJ Ondo
"Old & Slow Rider"
Thread Starter
 
BJ Ondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 85

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got a Fuji Monterey, it's to top of the "comfort bike line". I thinking of doing components swapping to change it over more to a "hardtail" MTB as it reminds me a lot of my old Raleigh Mt. Crestted Butte MTB I had back in the early to mid-1980's.

Is there any reason I can't do this from the "frame strength" aspect? I'll be changing the articulated stem for a solid MTB stem, dropping from a 28 tooth small chainwheel to a 24 tooth, changing to a more mountain bike style pedal and going from a 50mm to 100mm front suspension fork. I run 26x1.9 MTB tires on the rims and been following the mnt. bike riders in my local club on lot's of trails without seeing any serious damage to the rims or hubs. The bike has a 9 speed cluster, with triple chainwheel set up, currently 48/38/28 but I've found I really need lower gearing for some of the steeper hills.

LOL, except for telling me I'm "NUTS", is there anything else you'd change over, I'm more of a cross-country type rider, not interested in being able to thrash downhill, thanks all ideas, suggestions, even constructive critisisums are welcome!!
BJ Ondo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 06:10 PM
  #2  
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,607

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
The frame, a jump of 50mm is a huge change, and would risk the breaking of the frame at the head tube.
__________________
Signature
Dannihilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 06:32 PM
  #3  
BJ Ondo
"Old & Slow Rider"
Thread Starter
 
BJ Ondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 85

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
The frame, a jump of 50mm is a huge change, and would risk the breaking of the frame at the head tube.

Thanks, maybe you can answer another question for me, if the extra 50mm suspension in the fork would cause damage to the head tube on my Fuji Monterey, how come I ride with a guy who's got an old GT MTB that had a old "U Fork" and he's switched to a 150mm suspension fork and doesn't seem to have any problems, is that because it was possibly built with a heavier (thicker or larger) head tube than my comfort bike??
BJ Ondo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 06:55 PM
  #4  
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,607

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Originally Posted by BJ Ondo
Thanks, maybe you can answer another question for me, if the extra 50mm suspension in the fork would cause damage to the head tube on my Fuji Monterey, how come I ride with a guy who's got an old GT MTB that had a old "U Fork" and he's switched to a 150mm suspension fork and doesn't seem to have any problems, is that because it was possibly built with a heavier (thicker or larger) head tube than my comfort bike??
Because the geometry would most likely fit the 150mm fork.
__________________
Signature
Dannihilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-05, 08:55 PM
  #5  
Thor29
Senior Member
 
Thor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 757
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't matter if the frame is strong enough or not, if you put a 100mm fork on a bike designed around a 50mm fork, it will steer like a chopper. It will also raise the bottom bracket and stand over clearance significantly also adversely affecting the ride. Go ahead and ride it off road for now but save the money you would have spent on a new fork towards eventually replacing the bike with an actual mountain bike. Seriously, I'm not trying to be elitist at all - you will have much more fun on a bike that is designed to ride off road and it would be less likely to fall apart. A decent used mountain bike would be way better.
Thor29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 09:35 AM
  #6  
BJ Ondo
"Old & Slow Rider"
Thread Starter
 
BJ Ondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Posts: 85

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Monterey Comfort/Hybrids

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Thor29
It doesn't matter if the frame is strong enough or not, if you put a 100mm fork on a bike designed around a 50mm fork, it will steer like a chopper. It will also raise the bottom bracket and stand over clearance significantly also adversely affecting the ride. Go ahead and ride it off road for now but save the money you would have spent on a new fork towards eventually replacing the bike with an actual mountain bike. Seriously, I'm not trying to be elitist at all - you will have much more fun on a bike that is designed to ride off road and it would be less likely to fall apart. A decent used mountain bike would be way better.

Thanks, sounds like a smart opinion, ya looks like it's best just ride the Comfort Bike as is and slowly save the bucks for a true Mountain Bike!! LOL, I didn't take your statement as "elitistist" just as good common sense and trying to save a fellow rider from makining a expensive mistake, again thanks!
BJ Ondo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-05, 01:46 PM
  #7  
nodnerb
Senior Member
 
nodnerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wpg. Manitoba
Posts: 494

Bikes: Mountain Cycle Rumble. Mostly xt and raceface built. Dirt Jumper 3. Avid BB7s.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would probably just sell that bike and put the money toward a new mtb since it doesn't seem you would have missed the comfort bike anyway. Once you ride a new mtb, I doubt you'll go back to the comfort bike and it'll just collect dust.
nodnerb is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service