Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mud

Reply

Old 12-05-05, 05:53 AM
  #1  
AtlPirate
Deep In The Battlefield..
Thread Starter
 
AtlPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 153

Bikes: Jamis cross country 1.0 05'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes yes before anyone says anyhitng i forgot to take pics (im ah [email protected]##)
anywho, How much mud is to much mud? i have panaracer red whatever those tires are 2.1 anyway I hit my local favorite trail yesterday, after a week of rain, and holy crap i could not ride one part to save my life. Tires just kept going right out form under me, chain almost came to stop so much crap in the way.
AtlPirate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 06:06 AM
  #2  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My rear 'wet' tire is crossed with paddles\bars and I run 2.10 R to 2.3 F xc wide dispersed tread.

Get of the seat and ballance between the two tires -steering or drive.

Last edited by jeff williams; 12-05-05 at 06:56 AM.
jeff williams is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 06:39 AM
  #3  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 17,877

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
First, if it is that muddy it is probably a good idea to stay off of the trails. You are probably causing more damage to the trail and your bike than it is worth.

*climbing off soapbox now*

For mud I use Panaracer Fire XC mud pro tires. They are 1.8 so they are pretty narrow. This allows them to sink in and grab. It also allows for a little extra room for tire clearance once the mud starts sticking to the frame.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 05:09 PM
  #4  
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by AtlPirate
yes yes before anyone says anyhitng i forgot to take pics (im ah [email protected]##)
anywho, How much mud is to much mud? i have panaracer red whatever those tires are 2.1 anyway I hit my local favorite trail yesterday, after a week of rain, and holy crap i could not ride one part to save my life. Tires just kept going right out form under me, chain almost came to stop so much crap in the way.
The EXACT same thing happend to me. My panaracers caught crap loads of mud, so much that they stopped my wheel from spinning with all the mud in the v-brakes. DONT RIDE IN MUD...thats my warning too all of you, its not fun, and it took me 3hours to clean up my bike. I also completely screwed my front fork, and it didn't work.
blue_neon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 06:34 PM
  #5  
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?
 
Hopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,447

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just use my High Rollers Last race there was a quagmire at the bottom...... I tried someones bike with Maxxis Swamp Thangs on and it was a little bit bette at the bottom, but for the rest of the dry track it was so slow and slid like all hell in the dusty berms.
Hopper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 10:56 PM
  #6  
harris
Norcal 29er
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mendocino Norcal
Posts: 158

Bikes: Gary fisher Mt Tam 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Huh, I went for a ride this weekend, and it was pretty muddy, a couple people got stopped because of it. Me and my 29er just rolled right through and over it all. What now, fools!



harris
harris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 11:10 PM
  #7  
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,524

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Originally Posted by harris
Huh, I went for a ride this weekend, and it was pretty muddy, a couple people got stopped because of it. Me and my 29er just rolled right through and over it all. What now, fools!



harris
Uh, ok wheel size doesn't mean a darn thing when it comes to mud. You can keep your cumbersome beefed up cyclocross rig with limited tire choices.
Dannihilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 11:16 PM
  #8  
Blazinall91
Show Me What'cha got
 
Blazinall91's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: O'Fallon, Misery
Posts: 1,225

Bikes: old school Giant Attraction MTB (where it all started),old school Schwinn High Plains MTB (XC and long ride duty), Mosh DJ3 (BMX basher), and Trek Bruiser 1 (freeride and full of mods and still growing)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to me a 29er would feel like one of the vintage bikes with the big wheel in the front and it would just seem ridiculous, so i'll stick with 26
Blazinall91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-05, 11:51 PM
  #9  
harris
Norcal 29er
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mendocino Norcal
Posts: 158

Bikes: Gary fisher Mt Tam 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
Uh, ok wheel size doesn't mean a darn thing when it comes to mud. You can keep your cumbersome beefed up cyclocross rig with limited tire choices.
Haha, I beg to differ. Contact patch happens to be about twice as big as you guys on your cute lil bikes. The added volume makes it very easy to control in mud. But I don't wanna get into an argument. To each his/her own. I agree with the limited tire choices, tho. But not with the cumbersome beefed up cyclocross rig. My bike is a bit heavier than other trail hardtail rigs, but the heavy ass fork is alot of that. And my bike most definetly handles nicely. Have you ever tried a 29er? If not, please do try one before ragging on them.



enjoy your stay
thanks
harris
harris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 06:41 AM
  #10  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 17,877

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by harris
Haha, I beg to differ. Contact patch happens to be about twice as big as you guys on your cute lil bikes. The added volume makes it very easy to control in mud. But I don't wanna get into an argument. To each his/her own. I agree with the limited tire choices, tho. But not with the cumbersome beefed up cyclocross rig. My bike is a bit heavier than other trail hardtail rigs, but the heavy ass fork is alot of that. And my bike most definetly handles nicely. Have you ever tried a 29er? If not, please do try one before ragging on them.



enjoy your stay
thanks
harris
I have tried one out and even considered purchasing one at one time. I ended up deciding to stick with my "cute lil bikes" though. One of these days I may drop some cash and try a 29'er out for a couple of months. For the time being my lil bike does the job.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 07:03 AM
  #11  
AtlPirate
Deep In The Battlefield..
Thread Starter
 
AtlPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 153

Bikes: Jamis cross country 1.0 05'

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was not really messin up the trails, ause where i ride they are taking a bulldozer straight through all of the single track, making it big for the horses.
AtlPirate is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 07:04 AM
  #12  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 17,877

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
In that case ride them as much as you can while you can.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:00 PM
  #13  
harris
Norcal 29er
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mendocino Norcal
Posts: 158

Bikes: Gary fisher Mt Tam 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LowCel
In that case ride them as much as you can while you can.
AMEN!!! Hey lowCel, what did you think of the big wheels? I love how fast I can go through stuff where every one else is being bounced around or sinking. And the extra BB clearance is nice for those logs.

cheers
harris
harris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:12 PM
  #14  
Dannihilator
User Title
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,524

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Originally Posted by harris
Haha, I beg to differ. Contact patch happens to be about twice as big as you guys on your cute lil bikes. The added volume makes it very easy to control in mud. But I don't wanna get into an argument. To each his/her own. I agree with the limited tire choices, tho. But not with the cumbersome beefed up cyclocross rig. My bike is a bit heavier than other trail hardtail rigs, but the heavy ass fork is alot of that. And my bike most definetly handles nicely. Have you ever tried a 29er? If not, please do try one before ragging on them.



enjoy your stay
thanks
harris
Have tried several 29'ers, and just did not like them, just felt way too big and cumbersome to me(remember bmx background). You may find it working good in the mud due to the contact patch but remember all tire contact patches are the same in each category, but a 26" maxxis hookworm isn't going to work well at all in the mud unlike a 26" maxxis wet scream, which will make going through mud look like a slick on dry asphault. Contact patch has nothing to do with it, it all rides on tread design and mental effect. If race teams were really concerned about the contact patch a certain sized wheel and tire provides, they'd all be on 29" wheels. There are only two teams that use 29'ers as the race bikes, one is fischer, and since going to 29'ers there they haven't dominated like they did, mainly due to the weight penalty. The other team is an adventure racing team, there 29'ers seem to do well.
Dannihilator is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:13 PM
  #15  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 17,877

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by harris
AMEN!!! Hey lowCel, what did you think of the big wheels? I love how fast I can go through stuff where every one else is being bounced around or sinking. And the extra BB clearance is nice for those logs.

cheers
harris
Lets just say if I would have thought that the positives outweighed the negatives I would be riding one right now. I believe that for some riders they are great. This is not intended as an insult in any way, shape or form. Rather than starting an arguement I'll just leave it at that.

If I get to the point that I believe not having a 29'er slows me down I'll buy one. Until then I seem to do alright in the rough stuff, if it's too rough I'll bring my dually.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 02:14 PM
  #16  
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!
 
LowCel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 17,877

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by KonaRider24
Have tried several 29'ers, and just did not like them, just felt way too big and cumbersome to me(remember bmx background). You may find it working good in the mud due to the contact patch but remember all tire contact patches are the same in each category, but a 26" maxxis hookworm isn't going to work well at all in the mud unlike a 26" maxxis wet scream, which will make going through mud look like a slick on dry asphault. Contact patch has nothing to do with it, it all rides on tread design and mental effect. If race teams were really concerned about the contact patch a certain sized wheel and tire provides, they'd all be on 29" wheels. There are only two teams that use 29'ers as the race bikes, one is fischer, and since going to 29'ers there they haven't dominated like they did, mainly due to the weight penalty. The other team is an adventure racing team, there 29'ers seem to do well.
The place that 29'ers seem to dominate the most are on rigid single speeds.
__________________
I may be fat but I'm slow enough to make up for it.
LowCel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-05, 03:11 PM
  #17  
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Posts: 19,915

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by LowCel
First, if it is that muddy it is probably a good idea to stay off of the trails. You are probably causing more damage to the trail and your bike than it is worth.

*climbing off soapbox now*

For mud I use Panaracer Fire XC mud pro tires. They are 1.8 so they are pretty narrow. This allows them to sink in and grab. It also allows for a little extra room for tire clearance once the mud starts sticking to the frame.
Getting on my soapbox now in that In the UK, we have things called bridleways. As they sound- originally for horses, but Bikes are allowed on them- in fact that is all they are allowed on if you do XC. In the winter these trails are churned by horses and can be almost unridable. No more damage to be done to them as they are wrecked, but The path has edges that get wider apart-(The track gets wider through the People that do not want to get their feet or tyres muddy) Then you have the farm tractors wrecking them and the motorbikes.
As I say, these trails are almost unridable but that is what Mountain Biking is about in the UK in the winter, And bike setup and riding styles are different to the dry weather riders. If it is muddy Then I follow your example and use The Mud Pro, or the Conti Cross Country in 1.5. A narrow tyre to bite through the gloop to the firm surface underneath and get grip. Far better than a wide tyre that skates across the surface. Just to show you what is possible, the attachment shows how deep the ruts and mud can be. That back wheel is not cresting a hill- it is hub deep in a muddy rut and it is still riding
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-09-08 at 03:29 PM.
stapfam is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service