Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   BAM! And the dirt is gone. (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/280480-bam-dirt-gone.html)

RyanReid 03-23-07 02:21 PM

BAM! And the dirt is gone.
 
I just rode to Canadian Tire and bought some "Easy-off BAM" to get rid of some rust on my chain. It says it removes soap scum, lime scale and rust stains so I though it deserves a try.

Now to my question...
Is it okay for me to use it on my chain? I want to wipe off the lube, spray it, let it sit ten minutes, wipe that off and then relube

LowCel 03-23-07 02:46 PM

Make sure you don't get any on your paint. Personally I wouldn't use it on my chain either but that's just me. I prefer simple green and a park tools chain scrubber.

FreeRidin' 03-23-07 02:55 PM

How much rust could your chain possibly have? You got your bike like 1 week ago.

Also what are you going to re-lube your chain with?

Simple Green and a little elbow grease would be a lot safer.

dminor 03-23-07 04:42 PM

Not a good idea. Wiping it off will not remove any residual degreaser, which will then contaminate and negate your lube.

If you are that worried about the rust, hit it with the wire wheel on your bench grinder and relube it or use either of LowCel's or FreeRidin's methods. Almost anything would be better than what you propose.

free_pizza 03-23-07 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by FreeRidin'
Simple Green and a little elbow grease would be a lot safer.

+1 for the simple green, its great stuff.

RyanReid 03-23-07 06:54 PM

I just bought the bike Saturday! ;P
I used WD-40 and a toothbrush and it removed all the rust.
Now I just have to keep it that way.
It was only rusted because I was testing the bike out and got all excited going through the snow and wet
And I guess I didn't wipe it down well enough

LowCel 03-23-07 08:02 PM

It's very common to have a little surface rust on a chain, don't worry about it.

Also, use a chain lube. WD-40 is not a lube.

taylor p 03-23-07 08:06 PM


Originally Posted by LowCel
It's very common to have a little surface rust on a chain, don't worry about it.

Also, use a chain lube. WD-40 is not a lube.

i think he knows that, he was using it to remove the rust

taylor p 03-23-07 08:11 PM


Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
It's time for a new bike.

why not a new life to?

WannaGetGood 03-23-07 08:50 PM

Ewwwwwwww, Canadian tire. The worst store in the history of Canada.

taylor p 03-24-07 07:36 AM


Originally Posted by WannaGetGood
Ewwwwwwww, Canadian tire. The worst store in the history of Canada.

what history?
j/k

RyanReid 03-24-07 09:43 AM


Originally Posted by Pete Fagerlin
It's time for a new bike.

I'm guessing you didn't see the post that said I bought the bike last Saturday.

RyanReid 03-24-07 09:46 AM

And how can you say my life revolves around Canadian Tire!?! You can't get flippin' Bathroom Cleaner at your LBS.
I go there like 4 times a year maybe and it's the topic of my world

Think before you talk fagerlin

CaptMatt15 03-24-07 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by RyanReid
Think before you talk fagerlin

unlike you, he does - please learn to take a joke

RyanReid 03-24-07 10:28 AM

Well it makes me mad because I just spent $850 on a bike and well "It's time for a new bike"
Also how do you come off saying the I need a new life because I went to Canadian Tire!
You don't even know me

And then you say I should talk to my LBS about stocking Bathroom Cleaner so I dont have to go to Canadian Tire..... And well thats just ********, more your style

RyanReid 03-24-07 11:35 AM

I didn't buy bathroom cleaner for my bike. I bought bathroom cleaner for my bathroom and wondered if it is okay for a bike

RyanReid 03-24-07 11:40 AM

Oh, Easy off BAM is just like Simple Green. I checked The simple Green website and it doesnt say anything about chains. If I am ******** for buying Easy off, everone who buys Simple Green is also ********.
Is that correct, or just someone who buys one bathroom cleaner is ********, and someone else who buys another batroom cleaner is fine?

Simple Green is also a household cleaner, but it just happens to work well on chains, I don't see the difference between the two

taylor p 03-24-07 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by RyanReid
Well it makes me mad because I just spent $850 on a bike and well "It's time for a new bike"
Also how do you come off saying the I need a new life because I went to Canadian Tire!
You don't even know me

And then you say I should talk to my LBS about stocking Bathroom Cleaner so I dont have to go to Canadian Tire..... And well thats just ********, more your style

i was joking

taylor p 03-24-07 03:59 PM


Originally Posted by RyanReid
Oh, Easy off BAM is just like Simple Green. I checked The simple Green website and it doesnt say anything about chains. If I am ******** for buying Easy off, everone who buys Simple Green is also ********.
Is that correct, or just someone who buys one bathroom cleaner is ********, and someone else who buys another batroom cleaner is fine?

Simple Green is also a household cleaner, but it just happens to work well on chains, I don't see the difference between the two

their is the chance that bam is alot stronger

LowCel 03-24-07 06:23 PM

Simple Green is a non-toxic, bio degradable degreaser. Considering that a chain typically gets grease (oil) on it is actually pretty self-explanatory. The fact that it doesn't eat your paint is another plus. ;)

AfterThisNap 03-24-07 07:02 PM


Originally Posted by RyanReid

Simple Green is also a household cleaner, but it just happens to work well on chains, I don't see the difference between the two


For the record (again as I explained this in your xpost), BAM is a surfacant and detergent, meant to chemically break down and lift simple oils and dirt off of surfaces. Simple green is a solvent which separates oils and suspends them in solution, so you can flush them out. One of them sucks, hard, for mechanical degreasing applications. One is awesome.

mtnbiker66 03-24-07 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by RyanReid
Well it makes me mad because I just spent $850 on a bike and well "It's time for a new bike"
Also how do you come off saying the I need a new life because I went to Canadian Tire!
You don't even know me

And then you say I should talk to my LBS about stocking Bathroom Cleaner so I dont have to go to Canadian Tire..... And well thats just ********, more your style

Dude you're gonna need to lighten up or you're gonna blow a gasket. Don't get all bent,just go ride your bike.

Brian 03-26-07 09:03 PM


Originally Posted by RyanReid
Well it makes me mad because I just spent $850 on a bike and well "It's time for a new bike"
Also how do you come off saying the I need a new life because I went to Canadian Tire!
You don't even know me

And then you say I should talk to my LBS about stocking Bathroom Cleaner so I dont have to go to Canadian Tire..... And well thats just ********, more your style

Is the new, $850 bike the one with the rusty chain? If so, why are you calling someone else ********?

Just wondering. Sometime's Pete is a jerk just to be a jerk. But this appears to be one of those times where he has been asking perfectly valid questions.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.