Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Mountain Bike for Climbing

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Mountain Bike for Climbing

Old 03-24-07, 02:48 PM
  #1  
edp773
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,143

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain Bike for Climbing

My recent ride up the side of a mountain has me looking for a bike that is a better climber. For those of you who do not know me my riding style has a lot to do with my climbing ability. I have two prosthetic feet and cannot stand to mash the pedals. I compensate by remaining seated and trying to keep a higher cadence while climbing.

I am looking for opinions on a good mid-priced mountain bike that may fit my climbing style. My preference would be a hard tail, but all suggestions will be appreciated.
edp773 is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 03:22 PM
  #2  
salsa
Senior Member
 
salsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road or mountain bike. if a mountain bike look for a hardtail with a front shox that locks out any nice road bike would work.
salsa is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 03:42 PM
  #3  
mx_599
Lost in the Black Hills
 
mx_599's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,725
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edp773
My recent ride up the side of a mountain has me looking for a bike that is a better climber. For those of you who do not know me my riding style has a lot to do with my climbing ability. I have two prosthetic feet and cannot stand to mash the pedals. I compensate by remaining seated and trying to keep a higher cadence while climbing.

I am looking for opinions on a good mid-priced mountain bike that may fit my climbing style. My preference would be a hard tail, but all suggestions will be appreciated.
first off, i commend you for still riding. if it's not too personal, can i ask if you were a rider before prosthetic feet?

secondly, gearing might be of more importance to someone who needs to say on the seat. might want to investigate this more...
mx_599 is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 04:41 PM
  #4  
edp773
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,143

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
first off, i commend you for still riding. if it's not too personal, can i ask if you were a rider before prosthetic feet?

secondly, gearing might be of more importance to someone who needs to say on the seat. might want to investigate this more...
Thank you mx_599. Yes, I have rode bikes most of my life for fitness and recreation.

I pretty much know that 22 -34 is going to be my lowest gearing. I understand a lighter bike will climb better than a heavier bike. For example my Giant climbs hills better than my Trek with identical gearing.

So what I am looking for is for experienced riders to tell me which models climb best.
edp773 is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 05:03 PM
  #5  
mcoomer
Rat Bastard
 
mcoomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Sammamish, WA
Posts: 1,504

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I wanted a mountain bike that would climb like a hardtail but work like a full suspension rig I would look at the Specilized Epic. The rear suspension on the Epic locks out under normal conditions but becomes fully active when you hit rough stuff. This happens automatically so all you have to do is ride. I don't know what "mid-price" means to you but a well equipped Epic will set you back about $3K. Of course, you can always look for one on Ebay. Check it out here.
mcoomer is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 05:38 PM
  #6  
Lovin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

Bikes: 06 Kona Caldera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Run that seatpost higher and keep a constant cadence, not necessarily "higher". Find a groove, get in it, and you'll climb like a machine.
Lovin is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 07:39 PM
  #7  
edp773
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,143

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovin
Run that seatpost higher and keep a constant cadence, not necessarily "higher". Find a groove, get in it, and you'll climb like a machine.
Yes, I thought I climbed well until I attempted to ride up the wall in Maarat.
edp773 is offline  
Old 03-24-07, 08:05 PM
  #8  
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie
 
DirtPedalerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Out in the woods you see
Posts: 1,440

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you really need lower gearing I would think you could try a 24 inch wheel in the rear.. just a thought.
DirtPedalerB is offline  
Old 03-25-07, 06:40 AM
  #9  
edp773
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Posts: 1,143

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB
if you really need lower gearing I would think you could try a 24 inch wheel in the rear.. just a thought.
That is a good idea. It would change the geometry like a 29er. But if I went with a quicker handling bike the extra rake would not make that much difference without lower the forks too much.

Thanks.
edp773 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.