Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   How to choose the right brand? (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/292663-how-choose-right-brand.html)

fonmus 04-29-07 01:15 AM

How to choose the right brand?
 
I've been shopping around for an entry level mountain bike at around the $600 range. I've found the Specialized Rockhopper, the K-2 Zed 3.0 and the Kona Blast. I've narrowed it down to these three, but I have no idea how to decide. Can anyone give advice on why I would choose one over another. I've looked into it, and it seems the k2 bike has some better derailer and other components, but i know that specialized and kona are both better known for mountain bikes than k2. They all seem to be around the same weight too and all have disk brakes. Is it more about the shape of the frame that will shape my decision at this point, or is there something else I should know about. I just really want to make sure that i'm not just paying for the name with specialized and kona and missing out on the nicer components of the k2. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

shiggy 04-29-07 01:39 AM

Pick the bike that fits best and feels the best to you. Much more important than buying a specific brand.

cyccommute 04-29-07 09:40 PM


Originally Posted by shiggy
Pick the bike that fits best and feels the best to you. Much more important than buying a specific brand.

I fully agree. In the $600 price range the differences between bike brands are minor.

Oleanshoebox 04-29-07 09:47 PM

brand schmand. buy the brown one. brown is the coolest. or gloss white.

Quick_Torch C5 04-29-07 10:39 PM


Originally Posted by cyccommute
I fully agree. In the $600 price range the differences between bike brands are minor.

+1, and at that price range, unfortunately the component level is probably low end equipment, AKA poor shifting, constant tuning to get it to ride right

Jameson 04-29-07 10:40 PM

Whatever is poppin' in the streets is the one I get. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

trek1 04-30-07 11:33 AM

I bought a Trek because I knew the LBS was great backing up any problem I ever had with other bikes. I wanted a Giant but they had a sale and it was end of story so as long as you like the design of the bike. The Giant NRS was similar to my Trek Fuel but it came down to my local dealer and price and they even let me test ride a Fuel for a weekend and I really liked it so I did my research before buying to.

roccobike 04-30-07 07:43 PM

IMHO, you picked three winners, I don't see how you can lose. Just pick the one you like best.

Astroguy 04-30-07 07:48 PM

Don't worry so much about components. Pick the frame that feels right to you, you can (and probably will) upgrade components any time, upgrading the frame is a bit tougher.

Raiyn 05-01-07 02:59 PM

The #1 thing is "Does the bike FEEL right?" components are a secondary concern (You really don't want ***** components but it's still not as important as feel.) It's my opinion that buying a bike is 80% FEEL and 20% everything else.

Ricardo 05-02-07 09:42 AM


Originally Posted by Raiyn
The #1 thing is "Does the bike FEEL right?" components are a secondary concern (You really don't want ***** components but it's still not as important as feel.) It's my opinion that buying a bike is 80% FEEL and 20% everything else.

Totally agree.

jm01 05-02-07 09:49 AM


Originally Posted by fonmus
I've been shopping around for an entry level mountain bike at around the $600 range. I've found the Specialized Rockhopper, the K-2 Zed 3.0 and the Kona Blast. I've narrowed it down to these three, but I have no idea how to decide. Can anyone give advice on why I would choose one over another. I've looked into it, and it seems the k2 bike has some better derailer and other components, but i know that specialized and kona are both better known for mountain bikes than k2. They all seem to be around the same weight too and all have disk brakes. Is it more about the shape of the frame that will shape my decision at this point, or is there something else I should know about. I just really want to make sure that i'm not just paying for the name with specialized and kona and missing out on the nicer components of the k2. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

With Kona, you're paying extra for the name...compare the build components to see what each mfr offers, I've found that Kona usually offers a lesser quality

but as a some has already mentioned, go with fit, not the brand....secondly, geometry is diiferrent with these brands as well...Kona is usually bulkier, not built for speed, and has a heavier "feel" (to me)...K2 is great, Specialized is not bad as well, has that lifetime frame warranty which is nice

Just a long way of sayng, go with what fits best and is suited to the type of riding you do, even at this price point, there is a huge diiference.

BTW, did you check out the Marin Bobcat Trail...very nice at the price, awesome frame and build, quite the value, but has thaty longer top tube which may not work for some

CaptMatt15 05-02-07 10:39 AM

If one of them is Red - get that one!

Red things are Always faster :p

muteseh 05-02-07 10:44 AM

+ 1 on fit

components can be upgraded
frame notsomuch


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.