Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

broken chain woes

Old 05-01-07, 03:44 PM
  #1  
waxx
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
broken chain woes

i have a fairly new '07 santa cruz heckler, and the past week i've broken two chains. once was trying to grind up a hill, it could have been my fault, however, the second was while riding through a relatively flat field. what gives?

could my cassette or crank rings be responsible?
waxx is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 03:46 PM
  #2  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We need a bit more info. What gear were you in either case? Were you trying to shift under load? What brand / model of chain? etc
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 03:47 PM
  #3  
frankenmike 
mechanically sound
 
frankenmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 1,497

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, 92 Hardrock commuter, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It's possible that the chainrings and/or cogs have a bent tooth contributing to the problem. If it's a shimano chain, I would replace it with a sram. Hope this helps..
frankenmike is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 03:54 PM
  #4  
waxx
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both chains were sram, the latest being a 991, which i was told was much better than the one that was on there previously.

as for the gearing, i'm not entirely sure, it was most likely the middle chain ring and as far as i can tell i have no bent teeth.

i have a new shimano XTR chain i'm considering giving a try as i haven't had much luck with the sram chains so far.
waxx is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 03:56 PM
  #5  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waxx
both chains were sram, the latest being a 991, which i was told was much better than the one that was on there previously.

as for the gearing, i'm not entirely sure, it was most likely the middle chain ring and as far as i can tell i have no bent teeth.

i have a new shimano XTR chain i'm considering giving a try as i haven't had much luck with the sram chains so far.
How about the shifting under load? Did it break in the same place both times? (as in inner or outer plates or power link)
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 03:58 PM
  #6  
waxx
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the first one could be attributed to shifting under load, the second time i was just riding through a field. both times the chain failed on the outer plates.
waxx is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:04 PM
  #7  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's really strange. I've used SRAM chains exclusively for years and haven't had an issue with them. On the other hand I've snapped Shimano chains like rubber bands, but I can't say I've snapped one "just riding along" it was always under some added strain.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:09 PM
  #8  
waxx
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any advice on what else i should look for? should i replace a component? at $30 a pop these broken chains are going to add up.
waxx is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:12 PM
  #9  
waxx
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: san francisco, ca
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
also, i forgot to add, a few miles before the last chain broke, one of the links seized up and i had to use chain tool to adjust the pin so it would glide smoothly again.
waxx is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:20 PM
  #10  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waxx
also, i forgot to add, a few miles before the last chain broke, one of the links seized up and i had to use chain tool to adjust the pin so it would glide smoothly again.
There's your problem right there. You got too frisky with the chain tool

Tight Link Repair without Chain Tool

It is also possible to repair tight links without the tight link cradle system. This method requires physically stressing and flexing the chain laterally. Use care not to bend and deform the plates by using too much force. To avoid damaging your chain, practice on a section of scrap chain. Your hands are likely to get dirty from grabbing the chain. If this is a problem use a rag over the chain.

1. Locate the tight link as described above.
2. Grab either side of chain with your hands, and place both thumbs at the tight rivet.
3. Pull outward with your hands, while pressing inward with your thumbs to flex the tight link.
4. Reverse pressure to flex chain the opposite direction. Pressing inward with your hands and pressing outward with the index fingers centered on tight rivet.
5. Pivot link back and forth to see if it is free and repeat if necessary.


Before you buy a new chain, consider getting another powerlink if the rest of the chain isn't damaged. Running two on the same chain won't hurt anything.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:26 PM
  #11  
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"
 
the wonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: markham, ontario, canada aka chinatown north
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
There's your problem right there. You got too frisky with the chain tool

Tight Link Repair without Chain Tool

It is also possible to repair tight links without the tight link cradle system. This method requires physically stressing and flexing the chain laterally. Use care not to bend and deform the plates by using too much force. To avoid damaging your chain, practice on a section of scrap chain. Your hands are likely to get dirty from grabbing the chain. If this is a problem use a rag over the chain.

1. Locate the tight link as described above.
2. Grab either side of chain with your hands, and place both thumbs at the tight rivet.
3. Pull outward with your hands, while pressing inward with your thumbs to flex the tight link.
4. Reverse pressure to flex chain the opposite direction. Pressing inward with your hands and pressing outward with the index fingers centered on tight rivet.
5. Pivot link back and forth to see if it is free and repeat if necessary.


Before you buy a new chain, consider getting another powerlink if the rest of the chain isn't damaged. Running two on the same chain won't hurt anything.
i find that (when off your bike) spinning the cranks backwards for a while helps.
the wonginator is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:49 PM
  #12  
cryptid01
one less horse
 
cryptid01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: East Jesus NY
Posts: 5,600

Bikes: are better than yours

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
There's your problem right there. You got too frisky with the chain tool
How do you explain the first broken chain, then? I suspect that the fact that the link on the second chain seized may be indicative of the actual problem.

Incidentally, the OP is not the first to have recent problems with SRAM chains: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=chain
cryptid01 is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 04:56 PM
  #13  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gastro
How do you explain the first broken chain, then? I suspect that the fact that the link on the second chain seized may be indicative of the actual problem.

Incidentally, the OP is not the first to have recent problems with SRAM chains: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ighlight=chain
I don't, the information given is too vague to narrow down anything more than a guess on the first chain, however my comment on the second chain is certainly plausible as I've seen it happen several times with chains of different brands
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 05-01-07, 07:03 PM
  #14  
iamthetas
Senior Member
 
iamthetas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: colonial heights Va
Posts: 1,200

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how old is it and how often do you clean it?
I found once a link broke on a chain that was older, it was just a matter of time before I started breaking more and spent more time fixing chains in the woods than riding until I got a new chain.
it would break as soon as look at it, which REALLY stunk at dusk miles away from my truck
iamthetas is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.