Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   Squeel like a pig! A stuck Fox RP3! (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/298771-squeel-like-pig-stuck-fox-rp3.html)

santiago 05-15-07 08:07 PM

Squeal like a pig! A stuck Fox RP3!
 
A stuck pig, that is.

I was out riding and the bike felt funny to me. This is what I saw, a partially stuck shock. Luckily I have a spare. The Fox RP3 is known to get stuck often enough and I know that this happened once before to the previous owner of my bike. From what I've read (and I've read a lot on the matter), I can just swap out the seals and sort of wait for this to happen again or I can send it to Push. Apparently the Push treatment pretty much fixes this. I'm not sure if it's the different seals or the different piston, but something stops this from happening.

Since I have a spare I won't be without a ride while I wait for the shock to come back. Then a buddy of mine told me that he read/heard that there were some bad seals that were floating around and that this was the cause. The bad seals even made it out as part of the rebuild kit.

So, now the debate is whether or not I spring for the Pushed shock or rebuild it with a seal kit and see if it gets stuck again.

Anyone have any experience with the Fox RP3 getting stuck? What did you do to fix it? Did it re-occur?

Pics:
http://stradasystems.com/mtb/images/DSCN4194.jpg

For comparison, this is what it looks like beside the good shock.
http://stradasystems.com/mtb/images/DSCN4196.jpg

Flak 05-15-07 08:58 PM

I often wonder why Fox can get away with charging the premium like they do for thier products?

Shouldn't you be able to send it to them and have them replace the defective shock with one that doesnt have this problem for free?

santiago 05-15-07 09:09 PM

I read a bit more and the "bad seals" thing was apparently from a batch from 2006. My shock dates back to 2005 and there were plenty of people stating that the problem occured often even before then.

I don't expect Fox to do anything as this is very likely out of the warranty period. Getting it unstuck is pretty straight forward and cleaning/changing the seals is a tiny little bit more involved but definitely doable.

I've even read of the newer RP23s getting stuck down.

I've read enough people complaining about this but at the same time really praising how the shock performs once it comes back from Push.

taylor p 05-15-07 09:15 PM

i think i wold send it to push. from what ive heard your shock comes back better than it was new

Quick_Torch C5 05-15-07 10:02 PM

I've heard of DHX 5.0 air's doing the same thing, I hope when I recieve mine this doesn't happen. I have heard of some people doing the fox "maintenence schedule" on their shocks to keep this from happening(involves opening the outer case and keeping fox float fluid in the chamber). Personally, I've heard nothing but good things about a Pushed Fox shock. Also heard they can revalve your shock specifically to your weight and riding style.

RIC0 05-16-07 05:40 AM

Is it true that Fox shocks are in the shop more than on the bikes??? For cost and great reviews on Fox products you would think they would stand up to the abuse and not need PUSHED or fixed so often.

Flak 05-16-07 07:26 AM

Exactly. Fox is supposed to be a premium product that charges a premium price, but to get it to work properly long term you basically have to get it "fixed" by PUSH later on. Thats absurd.

C Law 05-16-07 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by Flak
Exactly. Fox is supposed to be a premium product that charges a premium price, but to get it to work properly long term you basically have to get it "fixed" by PUSH later on. Thats absurd.

Definately agree. If you pay $700 for a fork and have to send it to push immediately to get it to work right something doesn't make sense.

Personally, I have never had an issue with the fox forks or shocks that I have owned over the years.

But I do have a Talas and will send if to Push after this season (After 2 1/2 seasons of riding) to get the tune up rebuild deal.

santiago 05-16-07 07:53 AM

I've had no problems with my fork and cannot recall reading anyone having problems with the forks. With that being said, if you are due for a fork rebuild you are best to send it to Push as they will custom valve it for you. Remember that forks and shocks come out of the factory set for the "average" rider and this setting is very likely a compromise for most riders. Sending it to Push will get it done right for you.

The shocks on the other hand are a known problem. There is a defect in the design that seems to only be addressed by sending it to Push. Push does sell shocks brand new valved for you. There are many people now that will simply ship out their shocks immediately to Push upon buying a new bike. Once the shock comes back the concensus is that it is second to none.

It's for this reason that I actually look for used/beat up shocks on Ebay. For the price of a used shock + the Push treatment you get back a brand new shock, custom valved to you for very likely less than the price of a new one. I haven't been successful yet but that's mainly because I lost the urgency to do this (until now). The spare shock I have is actually from a second frame that I will be selling so in that sense I was lucky but my original intention was to use my current shock as a backup to whatever Ebay shock I would have found. Looks like my current shock ended up being the crappy shock.

cryptid01 05-16-07 08:32 AM


Originally Posted by santiago
Once the shock comes back the concensus is that it is second to none.

Not among CCDB users...

I recently sent an 04 Float RLsomething to be Pushed. Significant improvement to say the least. I'm not sure if the difference would be as substantial on an RP3, but there's my data point (as if Push needed any more testimonials).

santiago 05-16-07 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by gastro
Not among CCDB users...

CCDB is overkill for my Jamba Juice runs although it sure is pretty. If I had an RFX I'd very likely look at the CCDB.


Originally Posted by gastro
I recently sent an 04 Float RLsomething to be Pushed. Significant improvement to say the least. I'm not sure if the difference would be as substantial on an RP3, but there's my data point (as if Push needed any more testimonials).

Your testimonial is worth 5 times that of any mortal man.

Flak 05-16-07 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by santiago
It's for this reason that I actually look for used/beat up shocks on Ebay. For the price of a used shock + the Push treatment you get back a brand new shock, custom valved to you for very likely less than the price of a new one. I haven't been successful yet but that's mainly because I lost the urgency to do this (until now). The spare shock I have is actually from a second frame that I will be selling so in that sense I was lucky but my original intention was to use my current shock as a backup to whatever Ebay shock I would have found. Looks like my current shock ended up being the crappy shock.

This isnt a bad idea. The rebuild is only $150, and say you spend $100 on a used shock from ebay and thats a pretty good deal.

The fact remains though, there is a definite factory defect with some fox shocks that needs to be addressed by fox. I ride a hardtail so its a moot point for me, but if i ever go FS its doubtful it will be with a fox shock.

santiago 05-16-07 09:58 AM


Originally Posted by Flak
This isnt a bad idea. The rebuild is only $150, and say you spend $100 on a used shock from ebay and thats a pretty good deal.

The fact remains though, there is a definite factory defect with some fox shocks that needs to be addressed by fox. I ride a hardtail so its a moot point for me, but if i ever go FS its doubtful it will be with a fox shock.

Unfortunately used shocks aren't cheap, if you can find them. The 6.5x1.5" I have is pretty rare as a used item. You can get them new for about $250 USD + shipping from Ebay and if you find them used they'll be somewhere between $150-200 USD.

Flak 05-16-07 10:13 AM

Oh, i just took a stab at what they would go for. Seems high for a used part?

santiago 05-16-07 10:22 AM


Originally Posted by Flak
Oh, i just took a stab at what they would go for. Seems high for a used part?

You're right, they are a little high but if you are patient you will come across one that is a decent price. I bought a used Fox F100 X off of Ebay that needed to be rebuilt. I sent it to Push for the rebuild, not the Pushed treatment as they didn't do it to the 'X' forks back when I got it, and I got a brand new fork for hundreds less than the same one brand new.

I'll be keeping an eye out for another shock at a cheap price. I may get lucky and if I do, I'll have a spare at a good price.

FWIW, I have started the process of sending my shock to Push. If Gastro gives them a thumbs up, then you know it's got to be good.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.