Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   Tire pressure? (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/316343-tire-pressure.html)

Markok765 07-02-07 02:31 PM

Tire pressure?
 
What pressure should I have my tires at?

Should it be really high?

alumrock12 07-02-07 02:33 PM

depends a little on what you ride and how much you weigh. generally they should be hard. a little soft up front for more traction, harder up back for less rolling resistance. i run around 35-50, but i'm a little guy.

Markok765 07-02-07 02:38 PM

I ride through trails, steep downhills and small jumps. i stand mostly. I weigh 115lb about

alumrock12 07-02-07 02:43 PM

somewhere around 45-50psi should be fine.

mcoine 07-02-07 02:45 PM


Originally Posted by Markok765
I ride through trails, steep downhills and small jumps. i stand mostly. I weigh 115lb about

34.8psi

Dewaine 07-02-07 03:02 PM


Originally Posted by mcoine
34.8psi

Where did you get a pressure gauge with decimals? I really need that kind of accuracy.

mcoine 07-02-07 03:12 PM


Originally Posted by Dewaine
Where did you get a pressure gauge with decimals? I really need that kind of accuracy.

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r...025&Nav=preg07

alumrock12 07-02-07 04:30 PM

-__-

shiggy 07-02-07 08:22 PM


Originally Posted by Markok765
What pressure should I have my tires at?

Should it be really high?

It generally should be as low as possible without pinch flatting or feeling squirmy in corners or landing jumps.

Dewaine 07-03-07 01:59 AM

Someone told me the pressure should be what is indicated on the tire. I have had good luck following that advice.

blue_neon 07-03-07 02:10 AM

Dewaine, i have never come across a tyre that has recommended an exact pressure, just a max and min.

digikc94 07-03-07 02:14 AM

it usually says on the side of the tire or on the box it came in somthing like fill between "65 and 40 psi just as an example

blue_neon 07-03-07 02:17 AM

Markok765 - If your not doing much uphill riding then follow shiggy's advice.

If you are, then the higher the pressure the easy it is to pedal uphill and the faster you will go, but traction will be sacrificed. So the best thing you can do...experiment!

Minotauros 07-03-07 08:55 AM

Since I mostly road ride, with just some off road (gravel, packed dirt), and weigh in at about 215 lbs, I've always kept my tires at about 60-65 psi.

Dewaine 07-03-07 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by blue_neon
Dewaine, i have never come across a tyre that has recommended an exact pressure, just a max and min.

You are right -- I always put the pressure at 5 pounds less than the max.

shiggy 07-03-07 10:24 PM


Originally Posted by Dewaine
You are right -- I always put the pressure at 5 pounds less than the max.

Which would be severely overinflated for most riders on most off road conditions.

I usually am using pressures 5 or more psi below the "minimum" on the sidewall.

shiggy 07-03-07 10:27 PM


Originally Posted by blue_neon
Markok765 - If your not doing much uphill riding then follow shiggy's advice.

If you are, then the higher the pressure the easy it is to pedal uphill and the faster you will go, but traction will be sacrificed. So the best thing you can do...experiment!

If you are losing traction on the climbs because of higher pressures it is not easier or faster.

Yes, experimentation is the key. Every rider, tire and conditions are different.

Al.canoe 07-04-07 08:26 AM


Originally Posted by alumrock12
somewhere around 45-50psi should be fine.

You must ride paved trails. With tubes I use 34 front and 36/37 rear. I'm 185 lbs and carry a pack that's probably around 10. Without tubes I run 27/28 front and + 2 lbs rear. I regularly run into single-speed no-suspension guys in Tanasi who run in the mid 20's with light weight tubes. They unweight on the bigger rocks.

Al

Hal Fisher 07-04-07 11:11 AM

How do you get an accurate reading with presta valves? I mean the guage on my pump just flys up and down when I'm adding so I have no idea what pressure I'm at.

alumrock12 07-04-07 11:14 AM


Originally Posted by Al.canoe
You must ride paved trails. With tubes I use 34 front and 36/37 rear. I'm 185 lbs and carry a pack that's probably around 10. Without tubes I run 27/28 front and + 2 lbs rear. I regularly run into single-speed no-suspension guys in Tanasi who run in the mid 20's with light weight tubes. They unweight on the bigger rocks.

Al

hmm, i see. i actually don't ride paved trails. but i do have to ride about 2 miles of pavement to get to my trails, so maybe thats why. when i'm going there, i always feel like a slug when theres so much tire drag.:rolleyes:

alumrock12 07-04-07 11:16 AM


Originally Posted by Hal Fisher
How do you get an accurate reading with presta valves? I mean the guage on my pump just flys up and down when I'm adding so I have no idea what pressure I'm at.

first make sure you have an attachment that goes from shrader to presta. i first screw on the attachment to the presta, then screw on the pump to the attachment. make sure they're screwed on securely. if your gauge is going up and down alot, like 25 psi at a time, it probably means that... you didn't unscrew the presta lock nut all the way... or your attachment is lose, or wasn't screwed on properly. at least that was what the problem was when my gauge ever went up and down.

DevilsGT2 07-04-07 11:27 AM

~40

DylanTremblay 07-04-07 11:42 AM

I just us the "squeeze tire with hand" method so I'm really not sure. But I keep mine pretty damn firm.

Hal Fisher 07-04-07 12:04 PM

My foot pump does not screw on, it has a flip lever that clamps on but not very well. I guess you answered my question. A screw converter for my pump or a dedicated gauge is probably a better way to go.

Al.canoe 07-04-07 12:12 PM


Originally Posted by alumrock12
hmm, i see. i actually don't ride paved trails. but i do have to ride about 2 miles of pavement to get to my trails, so maybe thats why. when i'm going there, i always feel like a slug when theres so much tire drag.:rolleyes:

During my typical 18 mile single-track N Florida ride, I have to do 1.8 miles on pavement. There I run typically 17 to 18 mph on 27 psi unless I'm trying to keep up with this 40 year-old lady who runs about 22. I try to draft!

I ride roughly half time in the mountains. There I'll run a little firmer (27 to 30) depending on the trail. Since I use tube-type tires tubeless with Stan's NoTubes conversion, I don't want to get below his recommended psi.


Al


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.