Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Hitch rack to handle 05 Dakar?

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Hitch rack to handle 05 Dakar?

Old 10-12-07, 07:00 AM
  #1  
Flash
Are you with me
Thread Starter
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hitch rack to handle 05 Dakar?

I just built up a Jamis Dakar 05 using my Iron Horse HT components and I see the Dakar frame will not fit comfortably on my existing Softride hitch rack -- the shock would get knocked around

anyone know of a hitch rack built for full sus bikes like the 05 Dakar, or failing that, any advice on which rack to use.

I have to transport four bikes on the back of a 2002 Ford Explorer which has the 1.25" receiver.

thanks
Flash is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 07:28 AM
  #2  
01amberfirewv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fairmont WV
Posts: 133

Bikes: GT Ricochet, Mongoose Villain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I am not familiar with that bike but would this help?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...=0&partID=9566
01amberfirewv is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 07:51 AM
  #3  
Flash
Are you with me
Thread Starter
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv View Post
Sorry I am not familiar with that bike but would this help?

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...=0&partID=9566
thank you, I thought about this option, it would allow me to create a "second" top tube effect, assuming I could fit it properly. these adapters are usually meant for bikes with extremely sloped top tubes, but it might work. pic of my frame below:

Flash is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 08:27 AM
  #4  
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 964

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
thank you, I thought about this option, it would allow me to create a "second" top tube effect, assuming I could fit it properly. these adapters are usually meant for bikes with extremely sloped top tubes, but it might work. pic of my frame below:


Yes, this is what you need...it will work...my wife uses this for her bike so that the shock doesn't rest on the arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
blur.jpg (80.1 KB, 19 views)
jm01 is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 08:35 AM
  #5  
Flash
Are you with me
Thread Starter
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jm01 View Post
Yes, this is what you need...it will work...my wife uses this for her bike so that the shock doesn't rest on the arm
thx Jim, can you recommend any brand? Thule, Yakima make what look like higher-end ones, performance bike has a lower-budget model but looks like rubberized loops on that one.

cheers
Flash is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 09:42 AM
  #6  
jm01
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto & Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 964

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
both Thule and Saris are very good, and about the same price...my daughter uses a cheaper one for her SJ FSR, but you have to take the ends off to install

With what bikes cost nowadays, spending a few $ more to secure your bike is worth it

happy trails
jm01 is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 10:00 AM
  #7  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you just have to get more creative in how you hang it on the carrier. That might mean one arm will pass through the space between the swing link and the seat tube and then cradle the downtube instead of behind the headtube on the other end. Yeah, it'll hang crooked and a wheel may protrude out to one side more than the other; but you should be able to find some arrangement that works.

My AS-X was a bear to get hung on some racks (similar shock/swinglink/upper shock mount positioning) . . . and the Gran Mal is even more challenging, but I haven't gotten stymied yet.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 10:05 AM
  #8  
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Posts: 6,020

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.rackwarehouse.com/t917.html
Portis is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 10:15 AM
  #9  
Flash
Are you with me
Thread Starter
 
Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,311

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced SL, Blue T-14 TT bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Sometimes you just have to get more creative in how you hang it on the carrier. That might mean one arm will pass through the space between the swing link and the seat tube and then cradle the downtube instead of behind the headtube on the other end. Yeah, it'll hang crooked and a wheel may protrude out to one side more than the other; but you should be able to find some arrangement that works.

My AS-X was a bear to get hung on some racks (similar shock/swinglink/upper shock mount positioning) . . . and the Gran Mal is even more challenging, but I haven't gotten stymied yet.
I hear you. there is some experimenting yet to do, but the design of the rack isn't making it easy -- here is my rack, note the yellow piece with reflector mounted on arm end

Flash is offline  
Old 10-12-07, 10:37 AM
  #10  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, those are closely-spaced. What is the center-to-center on those?

The one idea I might suggest - - but it will sit pretty high on the rack - - is to try passing one arm through between the seat tube and the tire (so the seatstays rest on the cradle as best they can) and then the downtube rests on the forward cradle (especially if the cradle rotates slightly to line up).

Otherwise, for suggestions on hitch racks with more forgiving arm-spacing, I have a Thule Hitching Post which has worked for me. But I really like Stealth racks the best. I like the versatile design of the rubber cradles and strap the best of anything I've used.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.