Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   is it.. (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/384956-a.html)

BenLi 02-05-08 08:46 PM

Risse Bigfoot.

Dannihilator 02-05-08 08:46 PM

That fork didn't work on 95% of the bikes out there.

Cheeto 02-05-08 08:49 PM

Well when its 300mm travel I can see why.
Thats also most likely the reason why it's a 2003....

pyroguy_3 02-05-08 09:44 PM


Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 6115838)
ok, please don't get stupid on me.

Now where is the fun in that? There's plenty of info in this thread already to get you well on your way! It would really really really help to know the budget. Can we assume ~300? halfsees with the 'rents is 150, assuming their budget to be said half of 300. Since I am usually on a limited budget as to how much I can spend on a part, when I begin shopping for parts I don't even start my research until I set how much I want to spend, and how much I want to go over because I am weak... Are you planning on buying this through a bike shop? or online? I trust my LBS guys to give me good advice. It really helps if you have a good working knowledge of the terminology and how the differences in the part affects the performance when talking with a shop.

Cheeto 02-05-08 10:04 PM

If I go to the LBS they'll tell me I dont need a new fork. I already know that. Do I NEED one, no.. Do I WANT a new one... Yes

Ill go ahead and put my budget at about 200ish. I think I'll be able to afford that this summer once I get my job. (Hopefully assembling.... bikes... sadly.... for a department store... I disgust myself lol.)
I might be able to get my mom to help me out a little bit lol.

-Edit: If i manage to sell my paintball stuff I'll have over 400-500+ so that might help =)

Dannihilator 02-05-08 10:08 PM

Just save up for something better than what you have.

Cheeto 02-06-08 05:45 AM

I'll save up, I have to anyway, but I need some resonable ideas to get me started towards a goal.
Which pops up the question, What are some decent forks, that wont break my wallet, or my bike? I'd like something that can take some abuse also, because when I see a drop or something, I go for it.

pyroguy_3 02-06-08 12:55 PM


Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 6116289)
If I go to the LBS they'll tell me I dont need a new fork.

That is the funniest damn thing I've read all day! Don't worry, if you go in there and say, "I want to spend about $XXX.XX on a new fork with 100mm travel", they will not say, "ummm you don't need a new fork, take your money elsewhere". They're a lot like UNICEF, they will gladly take your money. The tricky part is to know when you're having the fleece pulled over your eyes. If you trust your LBS not to screw you, then that is the best route. If your fork ever needs servicing under waranty, then you probably wont have to pay anything. At my LBS I was told that if I bought my fork through a reputable dealer, who is licensed with the producer, that I wouldn't have to pay a cent. However, bringing in a fork I bought online I would have to pay $80 or something like that. They can also help point you in the right direction.

never 02-06-08 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by Cheeto (Post 6117182)
I'll save up, I have to anyway, but I need some resonable ideas to get me started towards a goal.
Which pops up the question, What are some decent forks, that wont break my wallet, or my bike? I'd like something that can take some abuse also, because when I see a drop or something, I go for it.

Look for a RS Tora. Basically just a heavier version of the Reba.

Cheeto 02-06-08 02:07 PM


Originally Posted by pyroguy_3 (Post 6118897)
That is the funniest damn thing I've read all day! Don't worry, if you go in there and say, "I want to spend about $XXX.XX on a new fork with 100mm travel", they will not say, "ummm you don't need a new fork, take your money elsewhere". They're a lot like UNICEF, they will gladly take your money. The tricky part is to know when you're having the fleece pulled over your eyes. If you trust your LBS not to screw you, then that is the best route. If your fork ever needs servicing under waranty, then you probably wont have to pay anything. At my LBS I was told that if I bought my fork through a reputable dealer, who is licensed with the producer, that I wouldn't have to pay a cent. However, bringing in a fork I bought online I would have to pay $80 or something like that. They can also help point you in the right direction.

No the people at my LBS are extreamly honest. Thats what their reputation is for. Especially towards someone new like me,

mtnbiker66 02-06-08 02:19 PM

The'll still let you pay'em if you want too.

ProFail 02-06-08 02:24 PM

My LBS does the same thing. They'll take my money if I insist, but they'll repeatedly ram the idea that you don't it into your head.

Cheeto 02-06-08 02:30 PM

Yea, if I insist to pay, they'll look at me like I'm crazy and say ok... AND then help me out to try and find the right item.

The RS tora seems decent. Stretching my budget a bit but I think I can save enough.
Now, does anyone know about the heights and stuff on that fork? Will it work?
Now, what version of the Tora should I look at?

Cheeto 02-06-08 02:47 PM

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Xc+600+07.aspx

This one has caught my eye.




Now, whats the biggest pros and cons between that one above and the Rock SHox Tora?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...n+Fork+07.aspx
I mean, for another 15 bucks whats the gain?




EDIT:

Well, my Mom just said, now that my dad just left for his 1 year tour of duty in the middle east, she will pay me 80$/month if i do my chores and crap. So, that helps me out some.

So, between those two forks, which one is really, the better one?

Cheeto 02-06-08 05:37 PM

I dont wat the to be a VS thread, im just trying to compare wich one is worth the money
tora or marz 600?

pyroguy_3 02-06-08 07:28 PM

the Marz, or save up. I personally would save up for a better fork. Gotsta pay to play. Seriously, go to your lbs. You wont be dissapointed. You can get a better idea of what you will be getting. I would hate for you to order online and then not like what you bought. Watch out for the OEM's too. Oh yeah, pricepoint has the tora for $190.

Cheeto 02-06-08 07:35 PM

OEM?
problem is my LBS doesn't have forks on the shelf or anything, so in essence it'd be like getting off the net, just through them lol. And they don't sell a whole lot of cheap stuff. Everything in there is mid range and above, except for a few items

kramnnim 02-06-08 08:01 PM

OEM=original equipment. Sometimes they're heavier than the non OEM versions...

Cheeto 02-06-08 08:05 PM

Im liking the Marz 600.
I think that will be a lot better than what I have now.

kramnnim 02-06-08 08:15 PM

...what do you have now? SR Suntour or similar...?

Cheeto 02-06-08 08:17 PM

SR Suntour XTC v2

pyroguy_3 02-06-08 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by kramnnim (Post 6121253)
OEM=original equipment. Sometimes they're heavier than the non OEM versions...

That's not what I meant, sometimes they have different specs because they're designed for a specific bike.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.