Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   decision (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/411080-decision.html)

Rutnick 04-24-08 12:56 PM

decision
 
2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2008 Trek Fuel EX8

I broke my XC race rig this past weekend and these are the choices I am looking at for replacement.

I have basically a brand new LX crank for the Stumpjumper and XTR pedals so that pretty much evens out the components between the two. I'd probably use my Mavic Enduro wheels but like the fact the Fuel has tubeless ready wheels.

Other than that aspect, thoughts? Let's limit it to these two choices.

born2bahick 04-24-08 01:03 PM

I vote Stumpy.

RIC0 04-24-08 01:33 PM

If you want to keep up with me Junior your going to need the Trek... LOL Kidding aside I'd do the Trek they are sweet.

ed 04-24-08 02:57 PM


Originally Posted by Rutnick (Post 6577984)
2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2008 Trek Fuel EX8

I broke my XC race rig this past weekend and these are the choices I am looking at for replacement.

I have basically a brand new LX crank for the Stumpjumper and XTR pedals so that pretty much evens out the components between the two. I'd probably use my Mavic Enduro wheels but like the fact the Fuel has tubeless ready wheels.

Other than that aspect, thoughts? Let's limit it to these two choices.

Didn't we cover this last year?:D

+1 on the Stumpy. (but that's coming from an anti-Trek person)

Rutnick 04-24-08 03:15 PM


Originally Posted by RIC0 (Post 6578256)
If you want to keep up with me Junior your going to need the Trek... LOL Kidding aside I'd do the Trek they are sweet.

New year Rico. You'll be seeing the rear of whatever bike I'm riding. ;)

Just remember that I placed 2nd against you 8 WEEKS after leg surgery last year.

I've got 2100 miles already this year and I won Clyde at White Lightning this year on my

HT and finished the course on a broken rear wheel (hub) while I think you were home fretting over the trail being sloppy or something.

Come fall I'll be down to 180s and will have about 6K saddle miles combined road and MTB and hopefully this year no broken body parts.

Oh yeah...my group podiumed 7 of 10 riders Rico.

ed 04-24-08 03:17 PM

My daddy's bigger than your daddy!!

Rutnick 04-24-08 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6578844)
Didn't we cover this last year?:D

+1 on the Stumpy. (but that's coming from an anti-Trek person)

Did I also mention that I'm getting a killer deal on the stumpjumper?

Yeah, we probably covered this but I've drank A LOT since then!

I've also seen a few newer EXs with broken derailer hangers since last year and they look like a PITA to change. Plus, the EX8 comes with shimano shifters and derailer and I honestly prefer SRAM right now.

ed 04-24-08 03:20 PM


Originally Posted by Rutnick (Post 6579017)
Did I also mention that I'm getting a killer deal on the stumpjumper?

Yeah, we probably covered this but I've drank A LOT since then!

I've also seen a few newer EXs with broken derailer hangers since last year and they look like a PITA to change. Plus, the EX8 comes with shimano shifters and derailer and I honestly prefer SRAM right now.

Problem solved. Now ya gotta just go buy it and put approx 4k on it.:p

Rutnick 04-24-08 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6579023)
Problem solved. Now ya gotta just go buy it and put approx 4k on it.:p


Or get that Racer X that just kinda fell into my lap or that lovely Vicious Cycles "The Groove" frame that I also fell in love with...

wait...I'm violating my own terms of this thread.

Asian Sensation 04-24-08 03:55 PM

stumpjumper

DirtPedalerB 04-24-08 08:23 PM

the trek looks sweet... stumpjumpers look weird ... we all know looking cool is the most important thing.

RIC0 04-25-08 06:21 AM


Originally Posted by Rutnick (Post 6578992)
New year Rico. You'll be seeing the rear of whatever bike I'm riding. ;)

Just remember that I placed 2nd against you 8 WEEKS after leg surgery last year.

I've got 2100 miles already this year and I won Clyde at White Lightning this year on my

HT and finished the course on a broken rear wheel (hub) while I think you were home fretting over the trail being sloppy or something.

Come fall I'll be down to 180s and will have about 6K saddle miles combined road and MTB and hopefully this year no broken body parts.

Oh yeah...my group podiumed 7 of 10 riders Rico.

Must be nice to ride a bike and spank it all day.

Rutnick 04-25-08 07:45 AM


Originally Posted by RIC0 (Post 6582404)
Must be nice to ride a bike and spank it all day.


"2007 Kentucky Amateur MTB Champion"

Isn't that a fancy title for "sandbagger"?

:p

RIC0 04-25-08 09:18 AM


Originally Posted by Rutnick (Post 6582715)
"2007 Kentucky Amateur MTB Champion"

Isn't that a fancy title for "sandbagger"?

:p


Don't hate da playa hate da game..........:D

Rutnick 04-25-08 10:41 AM


Originally Posted by RIC0 (Post 6583204)
Don't hate da playa hate da game..........:D

Well, I got some crap for Clydedale but hey...I'm 202lbs and passed a BUNCH of the sport class guys at LBL. Still the sports class distance. It was also fun to pick through the beginner classes as the started at LBL during my 2nd loop and their failed to yield before they hit the woods.

Fixed my rear wheel so the HT is back in the fight. Would have loved to have raced Younger's this weekend. I just found out about it yesterday and I'm prepping for 3 state 3 mountain road ride next weekend so I already have about a 6k feet of climbing road ride planned for Saturday. I also promised to help the GF buy a car saturday. grr...I want to race.

Good $ for the top 10 finishers and younger's is my kind of course. Once you climb the 7 dwarfs, it is hammer time. Very HT friendly and that's all I have right now.

Oh wait...there is predictions of rain. Will you be afraid to get your bike dirty yet another weekend?

My HT still has dirt on it from last year. A dirty bike is a ridden bike.

Our "paths" will cross again this year RICO...oh yes, they will.

BTW, you race any in TN? I was thinking about Lock 4 and Montgomery Bell is also coming up.

RIC0 04-25-08 11:20 AM

I didn't make LBL because of money, had nothing to do with weather or trails. I'll be lucky to run enough races this year to qualify for points in all honesty. Times iz hard in the Rico house hold...:(

Rutnick 04-25-08 12:48 PM


Originally Posted by RIC0 (Post 6583934)
I didn't make LBL because of money, had nothing to do with weather or trails. I'll be lucky to run enough races this year to qualify for points in all honesty. Times iz hard in the Rico house hold...:(

I feel your pain.

Hey, you could always let me race your bike since mine is broken.

Rutnick 04-26-08 03:00 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6579023)
Problem solved. Now ya gotta just go buy it and put approx 4k on it.:p

stumpy for the win. Already ridden it.

ed 04-26-08 08:49 PM


Originally Posted by Rutnick (Post 6589469)
stumpy for the win. Already ridden it.

I changed my mind...you need a 2004 Komodo;)

Rutnick 04-28-08 06:58 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6590824)
I changed my mind...you need a 2004 Komodo;)

NOTHING wrong with the Komodo but I already have a 25lb HT. I have a bad back and that Stumpjumper climbs like a freaking goat, eats up the bumps and my back feels great. She's already lost 1/2lb since I bought her.

Put on
my Specialized Rival Sl saddle
XT rear cassette
took off the dork disc and reflectors

Oh yeah, lock on grips, XTR pedals and put my LX cranks on it.

RIC0 04-29-08 10:27 AM

where's the pics????

Rutnick 04-29-08 03:24 PM


Originally Posted by RIC0 (Post 6604691)
where's the pics????

let me get my laptop up and running again. the HDD died on me but here is a pic off the website:


http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...omp_GL_Blk.jpg

Changes:

From broken bike:
Ouri lockon grips
XTR Pedals
LX cranks with aluminum chainring bolts
Specialized 143mm Rival SL saddle
XT cassette from broken bike


weight out the door 28lbs 12oz

current weight right at 28lbs

oh yeah, removed dork disc and reflectors.

Man, that stock cassette was a boat anchor. 450grams vs 300.

The stock wheelset may be on the chopping block too. Not tubeless. The DT Swiss wheels look nice but aren't exactly high end and the rear has a deore hub.

legalize 04-29-08 03:31 PM

I liked the trek because it has more travel in the front and I think rear, so I bought it over the stumperelli

Rutnick 04-30-08 09:17 AM


Originally Posted by legalize (Post 6606677)
I liked the trek because it has more travel in the front and I think rear, so I bought it over the stumperelli

I'm a big fan of the new Trek bike. The problem is that so are several others in my group. We already have two EX9s, a EX8, Top Fuel 8, Two 8000s.

I just wanted something different. We've had two of the new designs have broken derailer hangers in the field and the shops don't exactly stock them.

With the Stumpy, I'm not going to have yet another bike the same color scheme in the group. I ordered a spare derailer hanger from Specialized for $14 that will go in my backpack.

The specialized already has a horst link and that's what the new EX8 and 9 are trying to imitate anyway. I've ridden the new 8 and 9 and still think they are great bikes. I got a GREAT deal on the stumpy and nobody in my group has one.

We podiumed 7 of 10 riders our last MTB race and 8 of them were on Treks. I was on my Ala Carte HT and another rider was on a Giant HT.

I'm just saying that I still like the EX8 and 9...just wanted something different.

Other bikes and frames I looked at:

Vicious Cycles "The Groove"
Kona "The King"
Rocky Mountain "Element 70"
Santa Cruse "Blur XC"

I picked the Stumpy basically for the price and some of those bikes wouldn't have gotten the frame for what I spent on the whole bike and $ was tight.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.