Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   So am I frikken crazy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/412859-so-am-i-frikken-crazy.html)

Dannihilator 04-29-08 08:17 PM

So am I frikken crazy?
 
So back on the 15th I ordered a 11-32 xt cassette and a wippermann connex chain, so instead of getting the normal level one that I intended to get, I accidently ordered their new high end chain 9SX, the one with nickle coated outer plates and stainless steel innerplates. Didn't realise this until today when I went to pick it up, that the full price for it was $100 without the xt cassette, was my mistake, not my boss' so I paid for it. This $100 chain better last me a long while. Kind of makes the $50 for an xtr chain sound cheap doesn't it.

Might have been a good mistake, from the little that I pedalled it today, the chain is mad stiff and gives the cranks a very solid feel when pedalling.

WrenchDevil6 04-29-08 08:19 PM

That chain should last you through every bike and possible bike combination that you'd ever hope to build in the future.

ed 04-29-08 08:44 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy (Post 6608324)
So back on the 15th I ordered a 11-32 xt cassette and a wippermann connex chain, so instead of getting the normal level one that I intended to get, I accidently ordered their new high end chain 9SX, the one with nickle coated outer plates and stainless steel innerplates. Didn't realise this until today when I went to pick it up, that the full price for it was $100 without the xt cassette, was my mistake, not my boss' so I paid for it. This $100 chain better last me a long while. Kind of makes the $50 for an xtr chain sound cheap doesn't it.

Might have been a good mistake, from the little that I pedalled it today, the chain is mad stiff and gives the cranks a very solid feel when pedalling.

I've heart that they don't like to "play nice" with every cassette. Does it shift okay? (I'm certain it does)

Dannihilator 04-29-08 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6608509)
I've heart that they don't like to "play nice" with every cassette. Does it shift okay? (I'm certain it does)

Like butter on mine.

M_S 04-29-08 09:03 PM

I just payed 31 dolars for an XTR/9 speed Dura Ace chain from a local shop. Sucka.

scelia 04-29-08 09:13 PM


Originally Posted by chelboed (Post 6608509)
I've heart that they don't like to "play nice" with every cassette. Does it shift okay? (I'm certain it does)

I have a Wipperman Connex on mine (XTR M970 cassette) and it shifts like butter on mine too. I wished I had ordered the 9sX instead of the 908 (just for the stainless).

Dannihilator 04-29-08 09:17 PM


Originally Posted by M_S (Post 6608616)
I just paid 31 dolars for an XTR/9 speed Dura Ace chain from a local shop. Sucka.

I normally would have, but for some reson this year, I'm twisting/breaking alot of shimano and sram chains.

M_S 04-29-08 10:07 PM

I feel the chain breakage pain. Though in my case it was a couple low-end KMCs (yeah, yeah, they make the shimano chainst too).

Psycle chic 04-29-08 10:15 PM


Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy (Post 6608712)
I normally would have, but for some reson this year, I'm twisting/breaking alot of shimano and sram chains.

It's those big legs you have. I've seen your picture.

born2bahick 04-30-08 08:57 AM


Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy (Post 6608712)
I normally would have, but for some reson this year, I'm twisting/breaking alot of shimano and sram chains.

I've been wearing out and breaking my share of both lately also! I keep thinking that a $100.00 dollar chain should go from build to build, kinda like wheelsets and forks!:)

DirtPedalerB 04-30-08 07:53 PM

wow I'd so overlube a $100 chain

MattP. 04-30-08 11:32 PM

Saw those at Sea Otter, I'm tempted to order one. I just put an XTR on my new build (w/ Powerlink of course). I've been running SRAM chains, first time in a while I've ran Shimano, we'll see how it works out.

rankin116 05-01-08 05:26 AM

Do you have to do anything to a shimano chain to use a SRAM link? I thought about it, but when I went to do it, the link wouldn't work. Is that just me being an idiot?

rbrsddn 05-01-08 07:07 AM

Here's where I got mine for 64 bucks.http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-4...9sp-chain.aspx
Shifts like buttah. :-)

born2bahick 05-01-08 07:07 AM

Rankin, I've used them in three different shimano chains before. whadup?

MattP. 05-01-08 10:05 PM


Originally Posted by rankin116 (Post 6617259)
Do you have to do anything to a shimano chain to use a SRAM link? I thought about it, but when I went to do it, the link wouldn't work. Is that just me being an idiot?

Yeah, I've used them in several Shimano chains, no problems at all...

patentcad 05-01-08 10:19 PM

You are not crazy, but you did misspell friggin.

rankin116 05-02-08 05:42 AM

So I guess I'm an idiot. Oh well. I was rushing to put the chain on and I didn't try to make it work, just did a quick little check and it didn't seem to go so I said screw it. I will try again.

RIC0 05-02-08 05:47 AM

Not sure if your crazy or stupid, that's a lot of cash for a chain. Did it come with lube and I don't mean for the chain....:eek:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.