Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Specialized Recall

Reply

Old 12-11-03, 12:39 PM
  #1  
The Wanderer
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 56

Bikes: '84 Ross Mt. Rainier, '97 Specialized Stumpjumper M2Pro, '98 Novara Trionfo TeamSL, '00 Novara Metro with Xtracycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specialized Recall

"Specialized Bicycle Components is recalling 250 mountain bikes. During heavy braking, the brake tabs on the front forks could break off, possibly causing a loss of control and fall from the bicycle. No injuries have been reported. The models are 2004 S Works Enduro and 2004 Enduro Expert mountain bikes with eight-inch brake rotors in the front. They were sold at authorized specialized dealers during September 2004 for between $2,390 and $4,880. Specialized has agreed to replace the brake rotors on these bikes with six-inch rotors at no cost to the consumer. Consumers should stop riding these bikes and return them to an authorized retailer."


from Sporting Goods Business
http://www.sgblink.com/sportinggoodsbusiness/headlines
The Wanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:03 PM
  #2  
KleinMp99
New to bikeforýms.net
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Wanderer
"Specialized Bicycle Components is recalling 250 mountain bikes. During heavy braking, the brake tabs on the front forks could break off, possibly causing a loss of control and fall from the bicycle. No injuries have been reported. The models are 2004 S Works Enduro and 2004 Enduro Expert mountain bikes with eight-inch brake rotors in the front. They were sold at authorized specialized dealers during September 2004 for between $2,390 and $4,880. Specialized has agreed to replace the brake rotors on these bikes with six-inch rotors at no cost to the consumer. Consumers should stop riding these bikes and return them to an authorized retailer."


from Sporting Goods Business
http://www.sgblink.com/sportinggoodsbusiness/headlines
Its the fox forx only, fox dosent want 8" rotors on their forks(x). The other models with manitou forks and 8" rotors are fine.

Last edited by KleinMp99; 12-11-03 at 01:11 PM.
KleinMp99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:14 PM
  #3  
math2p14
Part of the furniture
 
math2p14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Exeter UK, Athens Greece.
Posts: 930

Bikes: Specialized RH, Scott Unitrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Agreed...it has nothing to do with the frames.
math2p14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 01:25 PM
  #4  
a2psyklnut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 7,964

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, If I had this bike, I'd keep the 8" and take my chances (assuming all liability if something does break).

L8R
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 02:09 PM
  #5  
BigHit-Maniac
Hucker Extraordinare
 
BigHit-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stupid Fox...

8" rotors RULE THE WORLD! Get with the times!


BigHit-Maniac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 08:00 PM
  #6  
Jim311
Senior Member
 
Jim311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'll have to come up with a nifty saying to denounce their brand now that they've had a few recalls.


Jim311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 09:19 PM
  #7  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,955

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jim311
We'll have to come up with a nifty saying to denounce their brand now that they've had a few recalls.


Specialized fault for putting it on there. But it is a weakness with fox. The fork really should accept an 8 in rotor.
Maelstrom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 09:29 PM
  #8  
Jim311
Senior Member
 
Jim311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just being a sarcastic arsehole. You know the C-dale reputation after a few recalls
Jim311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 10:18 PM
  #9  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,955

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jim311
I was just being a sarcastic arsehole. You know the C-dale reputation after a few recalls
Wow ... a little beeeAchy tonight eh?...haha

Yeah I know...I have just been working too much. Going back to lurching mode
Maelstrom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-03, 10:25 PM
  #10  
Jim311
Senior Member
 
Jim311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gainesville, Florida
Posts: 1,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nah, I just get tired of hearing the old tired cries of names like "Cracknfail" even though such problems are things of the past. I've never once had problems with anything from Cannondale whatsoever.
Jim311 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service