Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Considering changing to an Old school MTB suggestions?

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Considering changing to an Old school MTB suggestions?

Old 11-10-08, 11:25 PM
  #1  
YungBurke
Waiting for his CX
Thread Starter
 
YungBurke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia; Lewisburg Pennsyvania
Posts: 453

Bikes: Jamis Satellite, Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO, Fuji Team singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Considering changing to an Old school MTB suggestions?

Sorry to crosspost, I accidentally put this in C&V. my current general use MTB is an 07 Specialized Hardrock sped'd out as in my sig, and Its a sturdy bike and I can do a lot with it, but it really isnt my style. While it is definitely a XC bike, it kind of has free ride style styling, and the 100 mm travel fork doesnt compare at all to any of the 80mms I have tried(really stiff, doesn't ever even make it near the max travel) . Also it is heavy as a brick, with Acera derailleurs. I am thinking about selling this bike, and using the money to get an Nicer steel fully rigid MTB from the early-mid 90s and fixing that to be my trail rig. I feel like this would be a lighter bike, could be easily outfitted with used Deore components, and is very appealing to me. Would the price from my newer MTB offset the price of a semi vintage MTB?
YungBurke is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:13 AM
  #2  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What . . . ever . . . trips . . . your . . . trigger.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 05:49 AM
  #3  
bikinfool
I have senior moments...
 
bikinfool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodside, CA
Posts: 2,151

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on what you're aiming at, but your bike isn't worth a whole lot, it was what $500 new? You might get lucky, though.
bikinfool is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 06:50 AM
  #4  
wrk101
Thrifty Bill
 
wrk101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mountains of Western NC
Posts: 21,983

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Don't know what your current bike is worth, but I found two nice Trek 950s, (92 and 94). Both have Deore LX components. I paid $75 for one, and I have $35 in the other (bought the frame for $30, found a donor for $5), plus tires.
wrk101 is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 07:34 AM
  #5  
251
Senior Member
 
251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know exactly where you're coming from. Most of the new hardtails have ridiculously slack head tubes and ride like monster trucks. I think you'll find what you're looking for in XC frames made between 1995 and 2000. My '95 M2 was my primary XC bike until this Spring when I had a new Ti frame built around the geometry of the M2.

The mid to late '90s Trek 930, 950, 970 and 990s were very nice steel hardtails that should be fairly inexpensive. I would check out a mid '90s Stumpjumper. If you're not set on steel, the Stumpjumper M2 is nice, light and responsive frame that was available with a rigid steel fork or as the M2 FS which was set up for short travel forks. My M2 FS was originally spec'd with a Mag 21, but I swapped it for a Manitou 4 before it left the shop; it currently has an 80mm SID that works well.

Another alternative you may want to consider is a cyclocross bike. I take my Gunnar on singletrack frequently and it is a blast. You may be able to pickup a used Poprad or a Crosscheck for a reasonable price.
251 is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:00 AM
  #6  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
I know exactly where you're coming from. Most of the new hardtails have ridiculously slack head tubes and ride like monster trucks. I think you'll find what you're looking for in XC frames made between 1995 and 2000. My '95 M2 was my primary XC bike until this Spring when I had a new Ti frame built around the geometry of the M2.

The mid to late '90s Trek 930, 950, 970 and 990s were very nice steel hardtails that should be fairly inexpensive. I would check out a mid '90s Stumpjumper. If you're not set on steel, the Stumpjumper M2 is nice, light and responsive frame that was available with a rigid steel fork or as the M2 FS which was set up for short travel forks. My M2 FS was originally spec'd with a Mag 21, but I swapped it for a Manitou 4 before it left the shop; it currently has an 80mm SID that works well.

Another alternative you may want to consider is a cyclocross bike. I take my Gunnar on singletrack frequently and it is a blast. You may be able to pickup a used Poprad or a Crosscheck for a reasonable price.
Which new HT's are you referring to that have such slack HT's. What do you mean Monster trucks? They are still a HT.

There are still HT's out there that are XC bikes. There are also Trail bike geo and FRHT geo. They're all purpose-built and designed. The maj. of people who ride just need a trail bike. They're not gonno go ballsout XC and they're not gonna huck the thing.
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:07 AM
  #7  
251
Senior Member
 
251's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calm down. He asked for recommendations for an older-style XC bike and I gave him one.
251 is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:16 AM
  #8  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is with all of the retro-grouchness on the Forum lately? All these people wanting to regress to bikes we've evolved out of.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:21 AM
  #9  
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB
 
pinkrobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cowtown, AB
Posts: 4,654

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
Which new HT's are you referring to that have such slack HT's. What do you mean Monster trucks? They are still a HT.

There are still HT's out there that are XC bikes. There are also Trail bike geo and FRHT geo. They're all purpose-built and designed. The maj. of people who ride just need a trail bike. They're not gonno go ballsout XC and they're not gonna huck the thing.
I dunno about the 2007 Hardrock, but this year's has a 70.25 head angle on an 80mm fork. Having owned several XC hardtails dating back to 1990, I can say that a head angle less than 71 can feel sluggish. Also, compared to a whippy steel rigid bike, the HR might ride like a POS when on certain types of trails - I'm thinking tight singletrack with short radius turns and the like.

To the OP, I would definitely recommend finding an early 90's Stumpjumper. They're out there... If you come across a Rocky Mountain Blizzard from that era in your size, just buy it. They are so sweet, it's not even funny.
__________________
Proud Member of the HHCMF
'06 Cervelo Soloist Carbon | '09 Titus El Guapo | '09 Misfit diSSent | '09 Wabi Lightning
pinkrobe is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:27 AM
  #10  
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Posts: 27,266

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"To the OP, I would definitely recommend finding an early 90's Stumpjumper. They're out there... If you come across a Rocky Mountain Blizzard from that era in your size, just buy it. They are so sweet, it's not even funny."

My Blizzard is the sweetest hardtail I have ever ridden... not cheap... but so worth it.
Sixty Fiver is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 10:32 AM
  #11  
elf 232
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go simple, and you'll be happy, if your budget isnt big, SS and rigid.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog.html

29er monocog flight is even better

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ight-29er.html
elf 232 is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 11:02 AM
  #12  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 251 View Post
Calm down. He asked for recommendations for an older-style XC bike and I gave him one.
I'm not "un-calm"...I just responded with info that you may or may not know and I asked a question that I expect an answer to. I'm not flaming...yet
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 11:08 AM
  #13  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
I dunno about the 2007 Hardrock, but this year's has a 70.25 head angle on an 80mm fork. Having owned several XC hardtails dating back to 1990, I can say that a head angle less than 71 can feel sluggish. Also, compared to a whippy steel rigid bike, the HR might ride like a POS when on certain types of trails - I'm thinking tight singletrack with short radius turns and the like.

To the OP, I would definitely recommend finding an early 90's Stumpjumper. They're out there... If you come across a Rocky Mountain Blizzard from that era in your size, just buy it. They are so sweet, it's not even funny.
But, if you take the '07 HR and put a steel fork on it like the OP is suggesting that he wants to do with an older frame...then your 70.25 HA becomes steeper. Don't get me wrong though...I do like steel frames. I find a little bit of humor in the idea that someone can feel a significant difference in .75 degrees of HA.

I think you (OP) should keep your eyes open for a 90's Jamis Dakar HT with Lugged brazed frame. Those are pretty and people loved / love them.

Otherwise, check into the Redline bicycles. They make some decent rigid steel offerings.
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 11:42 AM
  #14  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
I'm not "un-calm"
Still calmer than you are dude.

yellowjeep is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 12:25 PM
  #15  
YungBurke
Waiting for his CX
Thread Starter
 
YungBurke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, Georgia; Lewisburg Pennsyvania
Posts: 453

Bikes: Jamis Satellite, Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO, Fuji Team singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 86 bianchi strada. Would a Lugged road frame support 29's with long reach brakes? Would the fork get destroyed if I did anything intense with it?
YungBurke is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 12:38 PM
  #16  
BenLi
Hardrocker
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
What is with all of the retro-grouchness on the Forum lately? All these people wanting to regress to bikes we've evolved out of.
Yeah, I don't get it either. Between the recommendations for rigid bikes and v brakes, I don't know what year we're in anymore...
BenLi is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 12:41 PM
  #17  
TechKnowGN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,266

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 93 Trek 800. Recently replaced bars, brake levers, and indexed shifters with the combination Deore LX shifters/levers from a Trek 950 of currently unidentified year. The 950 was completely torn apart or i would have moved my stuff to the 950, and taken it. Love my 800, just feel like it's not quite the right fit.
TechKnowGN is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 12:46 PM
  #18  
M_S
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
What is with all of the retro-grouchness on the Forum lately? All these people wanting to regress to bikes we've evolved out of.
God forbid people should have different proferences for whatever reason. The OP's plan wouldn't float my boat, either, but I can also understand why someone would enjoy the geo of an older NORBA styled bike, at least on the climbs...

I second the sugestions about Redline, with the caveat that they are 29ers. I like 29ers, but they'll handle a bit slower than the classic rides you're loking at. This is particularly true of the base level monocog and d440, which use different geo than the higher end stuff.
M_S is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:02 PM
  #19  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YungBurke View Post
I have an 86 bianchi strada. Would a Lugged road frame support 29's with long reach brakes? Would the fork get destroyed if I did anything intense with it?
What do you call intense?

To me...both of these are intense. (as long as you know who rastaboy is) I guess intense in different ways.

A road frame and fork won't handle extended exposure to rough trails.
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:11 PM
  #20  
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think what the op is looking for is available in a new frame.. plus with a new frame you get 135mm rear spacing.. 1.125" fork steerer, disc brakes.. things that weren't available in the early 90's.

I like old mountain bikes for nostalgia sake.. but I would never ever want to ride one daily again.
mcoine is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:16 PM
  #21  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine View Post
plus with a new frame you get 135mm rear spacing.. 1.125" fork steerer, disc brakes...
He can also get the frame with a 1 1/8" steerer compatibility, me thinks.
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:30 PM
  #22  
mcoine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: southern oregon
Posts: 2,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
he can also get the frame with a 1 1/8" steerer compatibility, me thinks.
1 1/8" = 1.125"
mcoine is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:37 PM
  #23  
ed 
.
 
ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Summit of Lee
Posts: 10,939

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoine View Post
1 1/8" = 1.125"
Wow...really?

Wish I would have picked up on that one
ed is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:42 PM
  #24  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I can help here. I have a 95-97-ish Barracuda A2R frame - - even have the original rigid fork - - in nearly new condition (I was the first person to build it up about 3 years ago) that I would gladly trade straight across for that 07 Hardrock bare frame, no problem. It's TIG-welded Tange 4130 'teardrop' shaped tubing, nice welds, 1 1/8 headtube. It has an odd 27.0 seatpost size but, other than that, it's the modern-compatible retro schizz.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 11-11-08, 01:56 PM
  #25  
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I still had my aluminum late 80's Cannondale MTB. It was terrible. short top tube, crack your spine stiff as hell aluminum, higher than urkels pants top tube for nut crushing, terrible steel fork......

*sigh*

those were the days
C Law is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.