Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Best online place for MTB parts?

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Best online place for MTB parts?

Old 05-01-09, 08:20 PM
  #1  
patm1313
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best online place for MTB parts?

First, to the Mods, this isn't an advertising thread. As soon as you feel that my questions are answered adequately, go ahead and delete/lock the thread, if you so wish.

First, a little off topic, I measured the inside width of the tube on my frame for the headset and I got 33mm. Is this abnormal? Because the headsets I see are not for that size.

I'm building a bike up from a mountain bike frame that I have. So far I have acquired the front and rear ders., a set of two disc breaks (without cables), brake/shifting levers, and pedals.

So, can anyone give me a good estimate on what it would cost to finish it? I'm building it to go on light trails and just general urban riding.

Lastly, can someone recommend me a good website for me to get parts?

Thanks,
Patm1313
patm1313 is offline  
Old 05-01-09, 09:19 PM
  #2  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pricepoint.com
Jensonusa.com

What kind of frame do you have? What about the other parts you already have? How much to you have in it so far? How much are you looking to spend total?

So you need a fork, headset, bars, stem, seat post, saddle, crank/bb, wheels/tires, chain and cassette. Am I missing anything?

Last edited by yellowjeep; 05-01-09 at 09:31 PM.
yellowjeep is offline  
Old 05-01-09, 09:54 PM
  #3  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,456

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Jensonusa hands down. Great deals all the time.
mzeffex is offline  
Old 05-01-09, 09:57 PM
  #4  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,456

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You may have forgotten chainrings, unless in "crank" you meant crankset, then yeah, you got everything. And you'll probably want non-necessities; Grips, reflectors (where I am, it is illegal to ride in streets without), and bottle cages.
mzeffex is offline  
Old 05-01-09, 10:01 PM
  #5  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex View Post
You may have forgotten chainrings, unless in "crank" you meant crankset, then yeah, you got everything. And you'll probably want non-necessities; Grips, reflectors (where I am, it is illegal to ride in streets without), and bottle cages.


Your right, I did mean crankset. And grips nice catch.
yellowjeep is offline  
Old 05-02-09, 07:34 AM
  #6  
patm1313
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The frame is an '07 Fetish Cycles Discipline Frame, White.

The parts I have are Shimano Deore LX Front and Rear derailleur, Hayes 2004 "One" Disc Brakes front and rear, Sakae pedals, and Shimano Deore V-Brakes which are a combination of brakes and shifters.

Also, can anyone answer my question on the head tube width?

Does anyone know if it's illegal to ride in PA without reflectors?

And to answer the question 'how much have I put into it so far?" I have put into it nothing. I got the brand new $500 retail FC Frame and the parts from an old acquaintance. But I'm a broke kid, and I need to do some budgeting so that I can finish this bike.

By the way, you missed cables.

And my one V-Brake Shifter goes up 9 clicks, but I'm not seeing any 9-speed cassettes, any help?

Last edited by patm1313; 05-02-09 at 07:55 AM.
patm1313 is offline  
Old 05-02-09, 08:26 AM
  #7  
frankenmike 
mechanically sound
 
frankenmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dover, NH
Posts: 1,484

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, 92 Hardrock commuter, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cambriabike has some killer deals.
frankenmike is offline  
Old 05-02-09, 10:32 AM
  #8  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,456

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
You'll need a 9 speed cassette. What do you mean you don't see any? And I thought cables were included since they're hydraulic. And as for reflectors, keep in mind, that that is for riding in the road. If you only plan to off road with it/ride on sidewalks its fine. Try to find the PA bike laws.

Edit: It took me all of about 3 seconds to find that it is required. Though, I only have a rear on mine.
mzeffex is offline  
Old 05-02-09, 11:07 AM
  #9  
yellowjeep
Senior Member
 
yellowjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lawrence
Posts: 3,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patm1313 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The frame is an '07 Fetish Cycles Discipline Frame, White.

The parts I have are Shimano Deore LX Front and Rear derailleur, Hayes 2004 "One" Disc Brakes front and rear, Sakae pedals, and Shimano Deore V-Brakes which are a combination of brakes and shifters.

Also, can anyone answer my question on the head tube width?

Does anyone know if it's illegal to ride in PA without reflectors?

And to answer the question 'how much have I put into it so far?" I have put into it nothing. I got the brand new $500 retail FC Frame and the parts from an old acquaintance. But I'm a broke kid, and I need to do some budgeting so that I can finish this bike.

By the way, you missed cables.

And my one V-Brake Shifter goes up 9 clicks, but I'm not seeing any 9-speed cassettes, any help?
You had already mentioned cables.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/168...sette-2009.htm
yellowjeep is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 01:49 AM
  #10  
dingonan
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patm1313 View Post
First, to the Mods, this isn't an advertising thread. As soon as you feel that my questions are answered adequately, go ahead and delete/lock the thread, if you so wish.

First, a little off topic, I measured the inside width of the tube on my frame for the headset and I got 33mm. Is this abnormal? Because the headsets I see are not for that size.

I'm building a bike up from a mountain bike frame that I have. So far I have acquired the front and rear ders., a set of two disc breaks (without cables), brake/shifting levers, and pedals.

So, can anyone give me a good estimate on what it would cost to finish it? I'm building it to go on light trails and just general urban riding.

Lastly, can someone recommend me a good website for me to get parts?

Thanks,
Patm1313
Both pricepoint and jenson are great to buy parts and the likes.
dingonan is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 12:24 PM
  #11  
lofnsjoke
SPOON!!!!!
 
lofnsjoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 35.43 119.05
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would agree with pricepoint and jensonusa, if i didnt live in cali. tax+shipping makes me a sad panda. on that note i would say ride-this.com.
lofnsjoke is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 12:52 PM
  #12  
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Posts: 3,826

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only losers ride with reflectors.
junkyard is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 01:08 PM
  #13  
nachomc
Senior Member
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,259

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lofnsjoke View Post
i would agree with pricepoint and jensonusa, if i didnt live in cali. tax+shipping makes me a sad panda.
I love that standard shipping takes two days too. I decided to order up some parts on Tuesday night at about 11:30. One from pricepoint, one from jenson. Got both yesterday
nachomc is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 02:43 PM
  #14  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Add to Pricepoint and Jenson:

Universal Cycles.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 02:55 PM
  #15  
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"
 
-_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WVU-Morgantown
Posts: 1,111

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on where you live..
if your like me,
your screwed unless you pay in Euro's or pay 100.00 in S/H fees.


But Price Point and JensonUSA are the main, popular ones.
I've used both before, and both have came through equally fine.
I check both because sometimes Pricepoint is cheaper, and sometimes jensonusa is cheaper.
-_RebelRidin'_- is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 03:13 PM
  #16  
JonnyV
Senior Member
 
JonnyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bellwood, Pa
Posts: 1,665

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll have more problems riding in PA WITH reflectors. I'm known to push riders into poison ivy if I see a reflector on their bike. Ok, I can't really back that up but no, you won't get into any trouble riding without them.
JonnyV is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 04:27 PM
  #17  
Zan
Senior Member
 
Zan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waterloo, ONT
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jenson is KILLER on shipping if you're outside of the states. I want to order a part that fits in a regular envelope, 10$ part, 20$ shipping. **** them.

I like pricepoint and competitivecyclist.com. competitive SEEMS expensive, but it's only 'cause they sell top notch stuff. their prices are quite reasonable - cheaper than pricepoint sometimes!
Zan is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 06:35 PM
  #18  
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie
 
DirtPedalerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Out in the woods you see
Posts: 1,440

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nobody uses nashbar or performance anymore?
DirtPedalerB is offline  
Old 05-08-09, 08:01 PM
  #19  
TechRydr
guacomole!
 
TechRydr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec Run, PA
Posts: 142

Bikes: Iron Horse Triumph 5.0, Motobecane 29'er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtPedalerB View Post
nobody uses nashbar or performance anymore?
I'm on Nashbar's mailing list, good bathroom reading, but primarily stick to pricepoint and chainlove (backcountry discount pop-ups) b/c of price and good user feedback. Order something from Nashbar and you will start getting flyers from 'colorado cyclist' which has some insane stuff to drool over.
TechRydr is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 01:05 AM
  #20  
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"
 
-_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WVU-Morgantown
Posts: 1,111

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
jenson is KILLER on shipping if you're outside of the states. I want to order a part that fits in a regular envelope, 10$ part, 20$ shipping. **** them.

I like pricepoint and competitivecyclist.com. competitive SEEMS expensive, but it's only 'cause they sell top notch stuff. their prices are quite reasonable - cheaper than pricepoint sometimes!

Price point wants to charge me 75 shipping... to an American Post Office box, for a 2 brake levers and a couple tools.

I guess they both have over whelming S/H charges
unfortunately...... I'll have to take my American dollars somewhere else.
-_RebelRidin'_- is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 05:23 AM
  #21  
mtdeaton
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -_RebelRidin'_- View Post
Price point wants to charge me 75 shipping... to an American Post Office box, for a 2 brake levers and a couple tools.

I guess they both have over whelming S/H charges
unfortunately...... I'll have to take my American dollars somewhere else.

Rebel, Jenson wasn't bad at all when I shipped to my APO box here in Japan. Only 10 dollars for around 4 lbs worth of items.
mtdeaton is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 03:55 PM
  #22  
DirtPedalerB
unofficial roadie
 
DirtPedalerB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Out in the woods you see
Posts: 1,440

Bikes: 2004 Marin bobcat trail, 2006 trek fuel ex7, 2007 iron horse road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't forget Ebay. I've bought many bike items from there including a complete bike.
DirtPedalerB is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 04:03 PM
  #23  
hmto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 94

Bikes: SC Nomad, Commencal 5.2, Cannondale Synapse Carbon1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
hmto is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 04:55 PM
  #24  
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!
 
The Big Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Local trails
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just go to google and type in what you're looking for and click "shopping".

Last edited by The Big Wheel; 05-09-09 at 04:59 PM.
The Big Wheel is offline  
Old 05-09-09, 09:01 PM
  #25  
DaJMasta
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 208

Bikes: Giant XTC Team Custom XC bike, Nashbar tourer custom commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy from jenson if the item is backordered, otherwise they're great. I've also had a bad experience with BeyondBikes.com, where they take their sweet time to ship things, though both times I bought at excellent prices.

UniversalCycles has been good too. If you're looking around on ebay I would recommend a seller named Abaxo above all others.... while they charge a fair bit for shipping, I have ordered 3 times and gotten my parts in 2 days each time after them being shipped extremely quickly.
DaJMasta is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.