Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help me do those.. standup.. hop.. things!

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help me do those.. standup.. hop.. things!

Old 06-22-04, 05:56 PM
  #1  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help me do those.. standup.. hop.. things!

Okay.. so.. that little trick dealie where you hop up onto the rear-wheel and hop around like a pogo stick.



Whats the technique for this? I can trackstand and bunny hop, but thats about it.





Thanks.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 06:27 PM
  #2  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasBike
Okay.. so.. that little trick dealie where you hop up onto the rear-wheel and hop around like a pogo stick.



Whats the technique for this? I can trackstand and bunny hop, but thats about it.





Thanks.
Are you using clipless to do most of these stunts?

As for the trip, you hafta learn how to lift the front up vertically. To do that you gotta learn the right positioning of the body.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 06:30 PM
  #3  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea its clipless, but I know how to bunny hop without the clipless.



And umm... care to share some insight to the body position? Thats why I posted this, to get help.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 06:40 PM
  #4  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.trials-online.com/techniques-lurch.php

Can't explain it much better. And don't wear clipless to do trials. Dangerous.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 06:40 PM
  #5  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.trials-online.com/the-videos.php

Video examples.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 06:42 PM
  #6  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
http://www.trials-online.com/techniques-lurch.php

Can't explain it much better. And don't wear clipless to do trials. Dangerous.





I'd be willing to bet I can get off my pedals just about as fast as you can get off yours.




Thanks for the links.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:08 PM
  #7  
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasBike
I'd be willing to bet I can get off my pedals just about as fast as you can get off yours.




Thanks for the links.
When you break your ankle we'll see about that Theres a reason that trials, FR, dirtjumpers typically use flats...
seely is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:23 PM
  #8  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasBike
I'd be willing to bet I can get off my pedals just about as fast as you can get off yours.




Thanks for the links.
Best of luck. I understand the need to clipless...heck even on dh and some freeriding. But the consensus amongst every single person to ever ride trials (that I have met) is that clipless are death traps for the slow moving, bouncy bouncy...that and you will never get any respect from trials riders. Clipless are cheating to them.

and btw I would be willing to take that bet. I have seen enough injuries related to that ONE time they didn't come undone (just once, yeah every other time it worked BUT!!!) I know 110% my foot will pop off whenever I want. I know 100% that 100% of the time your clipless don't let go. 95% maybe...but again...that ONE time...
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:41 PM
  #9  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well this isn't for serious anything, I'm just kicking around my XC bike on the front yard. If I was on asphalt then yea, I'd not use clipless. But this is just for fun to improve my trail handling. I can't really justify two sets of pedals for an hour or two of screwin' around a day.

Thanks for the help.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:43 PM
  #10  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasBike
I can't really justify two sets of pedals for an hour or two of screwin' around a day.
This is a great excuse for a new bike.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:44 PM
  #11  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roadbike first.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 07:49 PM
  #12  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasBike
Roadbike first.
NOOO i hope your not converting

I tried out my friends Trek 1200 and damn, you can get some serious speed and mileage on it.

I went riding with him up north. I put some slicks on my MTN bike and I could barely keep up with him espically on the downhills. I would max out at around 50km/h on the down hills and he would be blowing past me at 60km/h.

My largest chain ring was the size of his middle chainring.

I got owned.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 08:02 PM
  #13  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not converting, just for training. >=)
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 09:29 PM
  #14  
trbogti
Virginia's Hustler
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
I have seen enough injuries related to that ONE time they didn't come undone (just once, yeah every other time it worked BUT!!!) I know 110% my foot will pop off whenever I want. I know 100% that 100% of the time your clipless don't let go. 95% maybe...but again...that ONE time...
Do you have to bash clipless pedals EVERY time the subject comes up? If you don't like them fine, but listening to your speeches in every thread about how clipless pedals are accidents waiting to happen is getting old.
trbogti is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 09:32 PM
  #15  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trbogti
Do you have to bash clipless pedals EVERY time the subject comes up? If you don't like them fine, but listening to your speeches in every thread about how clipless pedals are accidents waiting to happen is getting old.




Be quiet, its perfectly reasonable to say clipless are more dangerous for trials -- they are.
JasBike is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 09:34 PM
  #16  
a2psyklnut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relax dude! The only time he mentions it is when someone asks about "how to do a so and so trick". Mael, (and Mine) and others advice/opinion is absolutely correct. When you're learning a new trick, you want to be able to get off your bike instantly. You CANNOT do this with clipless. He's trying to help people from hurting themselves. Don't like it, don't read it! There is always the "Ignore" option.

I might have to add another to my list!

L8R
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 09:34 PM
  #17  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trbogti
Do you have to bash clipless pedals EVERY time the subject comes up? If you don't like them fine, but listening to your speeches in every thread about how clipless pedals are accidents waiting to happen is getting old.
This topic comes up a lot and you might not agree with what he says but hes probably talking from personal experience. Its great to get different views on the topic so the topic starter can get both pros and cons on what hes getting into.

Some users might be new to the forums so hearing these views actually help.

If you don't like it, ignore it.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 10:10 PM
  #18  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trbogti
Do you have to bash clipless pedals EVERY time the subject comes up? If you don't like them fine, but listening to your speeches in every thread about how clipless pedals are accidents waiting to happen is getting old.
It isn't every thread. Go back and do a search. If people ask about doing tricks, jumps drops, skinnies on clipless, I inform them of the dangers. If you don't think it isn't dangerous...fine...but I don't care, I know from watching pros give it a go and crash hard...oops don't want this to be a speech...ok...go back and search clipless. If they are looking for recommendations about clipless and are trail triding or xc I don't even peep because I know you can't beat clipless. Ask about doing anything in the realm of "needing to throw the bike away in a split second" I will pipe in EVERY TIME.

So..you don't like it, don't read it. Cause I promise you I will continue to put my word in about clipless pedals.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-22-04, 10:14 PM
  #19  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mindbogger
NOOO i hope your not converting

I tried out my friends Trek 1200 and damn, you can get some serious speed and mileage on it.

I went riding with him up north. I put some slicks on my MTN bike and I could barely keep up with him espically on the downhills. I would max out at around 50km/h on the down hills and he would be blowing past me at 60km/h.

My largest chain ring was the size of his middle chainring.

I got owned.
I go riding with my gf's uncle who has been mtbiking since the early 80's in this area (as much as a mtb even existed anyways) and the guy basically has a road setp on his mtb. Smokes just about everyone. He is in his 40's and still places top 10 every race and usually wins most. Needless to say I get smoked...but it sure is fun to watch him pedal up stff in 2 second that takes me 2 minutes.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 07:08 AM
  #20  
sm266
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 607

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
Relax dude! The only time he mentions it is when someone asks about "how to do a so and so trick". Mael, (and Mine) and others advice/opinion is absolutely correct. When you're learning a new trick, you want to be able to get off your bike instantly. You CANNOT do this with clipless. He's trying to help people from hurting themselves.

L8R
I tried to learn a wheelie clipped in. I pulled up too hard on the bar and flipped over. Couldn't get rid of the bike, and lay on the ground like a turtle with the bike still attached. Thank God I was alone.

I keep my clips tight for xc, and can usually throw the bike off in enough time. However, when learning tricks, you don't know what to anticipate, or how quick it could happen.
sm266 is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 08:20 AM
  #21  
pnj
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doesn't look like anyone really answered your rear wheel hopping question.

a good way to practice getting into the correct position is to hop your front tire onto something like a bench. then, you can pull up your front end just a few inches and hop on the rear wheel. if your front end drops, put it back down on the bench (or rock, tall curb, car bumper...). this can help keep the bike close to the position you need it in.

and then of course, practice. and then practice some more.....
pnj is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 11:11 AM
  #22  
TRDshaunTRD
Member
 
TRDshaunTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How easy are these moves with a full suspension bike?
TRDshaunTRD is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 11:22 AM
  #23  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They aren't very easy. They put your shock in an odd position and give it an odd amount of pounding. That and you kind of need it to be crisp feeling to get all bouncy bouncy. There are people that can do it...but it isn't easy.
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 11:22 AM
  #24  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pnj
doesn't look like anyone really answered your rear wheel hopping question.

a good way to practice getting into the correct position is to hop your front tire onto something like a bench. then, you can pull up your front end just a few inches and hop on the rear wheel. if your front end drops, put it back down on the bench (or rock, tall curb, car bumper...). this can help keep the bike close to the position you need it in.

and then of course, practice. and then practice some more.....
I always forget about that method. Then you just have to figure out how to lift the front end
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 06-23-04, 02:28 PM
  #25  
JasBike
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
JasBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
I go riding with my gf's uncle who has been mtbiking since the early 80's in this area (as much as a mtb even existed anyways) and the guy basically has a road setp on his mtb. Smokes just about everyone. He is in his 40's and still places top 10 every race and usually wins most. Needless to say I get smoked...but it sure is fun to watch him pedal up stff in 2 second that takes me 2 minutes.



How is it like a road setup?
JasBike is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.