Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New to MTB.

Old 11-03-09, 07:32 AM
  #1  
Frosticle
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to MTB.

Hi there.

I have read alot of the posts earlyer regarding this subject but kinda wanted a few more opinions. (as you guys really seems to have a clue)

My whole problem is that i have started biking with a very old, very heavy, very poorly made MTB but still I have found alot of joy when riding. So I have now reached the point where i want to invest some more money into it and start riding even more.

I have signed up for a race in 10 months. 92km offroad with alot of uphill.
By the looks of it these kinds of races is something i want to do regularly, but i also want to be able to do some downhill and trail biking if i get the chance.

So that brings me to the actual task ahead. I need a bike that fits my needs.
Been looking on the difference between full suspension and hardtails, have a problem deciding this.
My pricerange for my first "proper bike" will be around: 2000$
Will this give me a decent first bike?

And for that price, should I rather spend it on a hard tail with better gear or have you seen good FS bikes within that pricerange?
Any actual bike suggestions would be very much appriciated as I have very little knowledge of what good and whats bad.

Also.. Im 193cm and am abit worried about what size i should choose. After the calculations on different selling pages i seem to land on 22" or XL. Does that sound right? Seems like when i view more experienced people biking they seem to have so small bikes?


Some inputs would be very much appreciated. So many bikes and so many different models to choose from
Frosticle is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 11:58 AM
  #2  
craigcraigcraig
Don't really have a bike.
 
craigcraigcraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 3,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built my mtb up from a frame and random pieces so i'm not too good with the new mtbs out there but the fit situation is really a preference thing. It is much easier to decide after you ride some newer bikes in different sizes to see. I am about 180 cm and my bike is a 17 inch but the bike shop guys spec'd me at an 18-18.5inch frame i just prefer the shorter frame for more standover. Only way i found that out though was to go and ride different sizes first.
craigcraigcraig is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 12:28 PM
  #3  
nachomc
Senior Member
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,259

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go hard tail, especially if you're racing with a lot of climbing and your budget is $2k. You can get a sweet hard tail for that amount. I'm 6'3 also and ride a 20" on my hard tail, and my Specialized full suspension bike is an XL.
nachomc is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 02:20 PM
  #4  
victim
Senior Member
 
victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go used and you can get a one year old bike, lightly used for half off or so. If your afraid of used, or just like new equipment 2k would buy a sweet hardtail. Sounds like your heavily into Mt biking now so it's worth it to have nice equipment. If I were you I would do a lot of test riding and research to make sure you get the right bike, 10 months sounds about right!
victim is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 04:52 PM
  #5  
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder
 
Zephyr11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell
Posts: 3,549

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are definitely good FS bikes within that price range. Given that you plan on doing longer races with plenty of climbing, I would start my search by looking at some 4" XC bikes. Anthems, HiFis, previous year Epics or Superlights, etc. A 29er might be an option too (this from the mouth of a 26" rider too).
Zephyr11 is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 04:57 PM
  #6  
C Law
Too Much Crazy
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frosticle View Post
Hi there.

I have read alot of the posts earlyer regarding this subject but kinda wanted a few more opinions.
(as you guys really seems to have a clue)

My whole problem is that i have started biking with a very old, very heavy, very poorly made MTB but still I have found alot of joy when riding. So I have now reached the point where i want to invest some more money into it and start riding even more.

I have signed up for a race in 10 months. 92km offroad with alot of uphill.
By the looks of it these kinds of races is something i want to do regularly, but i also want to be able to do some downhill and trail biking if i get the chance.

So that brings me to the actual task ahead. I need a bike that fits my needs.
Been looking on the difference between full suspension and hardtails, have a problem deciding this.
My pricerange for my first "proper bike" will be around: 2000$
Will this give me a decent first bike?

And for that price, should I rather spend it on a hard tail with better gear or have you seen good FS bikes within that pricerange?
Any actual bike suggestions would be very much appriciated as I have very little knowledge of what good and whats bad.

Also.. Im 193cm and am abit worried about what size i should choose. After the calculations on different selling pages i seem to land on 22" or XL. Does that sound right? Seems like when i view more experienced people biking they seem to have so small bikes?


Some inputs would be very much appreciated. So many bikes and so many different models to choose from
lol
C Law is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 05:25 PM
  #7  
ProEdgeBiker
Senior Member
 
ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 165

Bikes: Custom 09' Epic Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is my input:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9248

ProEdgeBiker is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 05:45 PM
  #8  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyr11 View Post
There are definitely good FS bikes within that price range. Given that you plan on doing longer races with plenty of climbing, I would start my search by looking at some 4" XC bikes. Anthems, HiFis, previous year Epics or Superlights, etc. A 29er might be an option too (this from the mouth of a 26" rider too).
Originally Posted by ProEdgeBiker View Post
Thank you for those. Refreshing change from the "I'd get a sweet hardtail for that price" nonsense.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 09:39 PM
  #9  
ProEdgeBiker
Senior Member
 
ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 165

Bikes: Custom 09' Epic Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the new 2010 line of Stumpy FSRs are unreal, Spesh really steped it up
ProEdgeBiker is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 10:04 PM
  #10  
nachomc
Senior Member
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,259

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor View Post
Thank you for those. Refreshing change from the "I'd get a sweet hardtail for that price" nonsense.
Yeah having a lightweight, very efficient bike with awesome parts would be totally lame.
nachomc is offline  
Old 11-03-09, 11:47 PM
  #11  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
Yeah having a lightweight, very efficient bike with awesome parts would be totally lame.
Will someone go back and tell nacho-man that it's not 1997 anymore?
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 11-04-09, 12:02 AM
  #12  
wheeldeal
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
 
wheeldeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 378

Bikes: Huffy and Pacific

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nacho-man, it's not 1997 anymore.

PS - I never rode a FS bike. I <3 my HT.
wheeldeal is offline  
Old 11-04-09, 05:55 AM
  #13  
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder
 
Zephyr11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell
Posts: 3,549

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my HT too. But I also love my FS. And if I had $2000 to spend on my only bike, it would be an FS. I know he said his primary use will be racing and he needs to climb a bunch, but no one here is suggesting an 8" downhill bike. Heck, I don't even see any suggestions for a long travel AM bike. There's no reason a short travel XC FS won't climb well. I'd take a little bit more weight if it meant having the rear wheel tracking ability and forgiveness of rear suspension.
Zephyr11 is offline  
Old 11-04-09, 07:04 AM
  #14  
ProEdgeBiker
Senior Member
 
ProEdgeBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sunny, FL
Posts: 165

Bikes: Custom 09' Epic Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO, there is no comaparison between HT & FS bikes, i rode an HT for many years (over $2k HTs) and once i went FS, i will never ride an HT again. Granted, i ride an Epic which IMO is the best of both worlds.
ProEdgeBiker is offline  
Old 11-04-09, 10:11 AM
  #15  
nachomc
Senior Member
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,259

Bikes: Epic and Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'm weird. In my garage right now I have two full suspension bikes - an Epic and a Prophet, and my rigid bike. When it's time to put a bike on the roof of the car for a day of riding, the rigid bike is always the one coming off the wall, and I'm VERY close to selling my Epic to build up a 29er hard tail. I just like em Maybe it's the steel and the 29, maybe the rigid has rattled my brain too much, I dunno.
nachomc is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 01:58 PM
  #16  
victim
Senior Member
 
victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saying a full suspension is better than a hardtail for all purposes is as dumb as saying a hardtail is better than a full suspension for all purposes. Is common sense becoming an endangered species now-a-days???
victim is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 02:13 PM
  #17  
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!
 
"Fred"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 748

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 16 lbs- Trek Top Fuel RSL 22 lbs.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote would be for a 29er hard tail.

In fact I will start a debate and recomend this http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...TI_29_2010.htm
"Fred" is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 02:26 PM
  #18  
Metzinger
Primate
 
Metzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: gone
Posts: 2,579

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a wild guess.
If this is the course, I'd recommend a hardtail for the fastest time.
But you'll be enjoying this bike on other trails too.
Try some different bikes out, if the shops allow you.
There's a lot of range in the feel of different bikes.

Last edited by Metzinger; 11-06-09 at 02:30 AM. Reason: fixed broken image link
Metzinger is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 02:33 PM
  #19  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,480

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victim View Post
Saying a full suspension is better than a hardtail for all purposes is as dumb as saying a hardtail is better than a full suspension for all purposes. Is common sense becoming an endangered species now-a-days???
From the looks of your post, it is.
__________________

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Last edited by dminor; 11-05-09 at 06:39 PM.
dminor is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 06:25 PM
  #20  
D.I.S.C.O
Junior Member
 
D.I.S.C.O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victim View Post
Saying a full suspension is better than a hardtail for all purposes is as dumb as saying a hardtail is better than a full suspension for all purposes. Is common sense becoming an endangered species now-a-days???
At a given skill level a FS bike will allow the rider to ride trails that he would otherwise not be able to ride on a HT. If being able to ride more trails is better then FS would be better. If you only have one bike why restrict yourself?

IMHO, HT is ancient junk unless you race on smooth xc trails. We don't drive HT cars...
D.I.S.C.O is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 07:50 PM
  #21  
mzeffex 
Senior Member
 
mzeffex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 9,432

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D.I.S.C.O View Post
At a given skill level a FS bike will allow the rider to ride trails that he would otherwise not be able to ride on a HT. If being able to ride more trails is better then FS would be better. If you only have one bike why restrict yourself?
Incorrect.

IMHO, HT is ancient junk unless you race on smooth xc trails. We don't drive HT cars...
Even more incorrect

You should see me ride on my hardtail. I do stuff many would not attempt on a full suspension. Now I'm not saying I'm good, I just make bad decisions.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Are they talking about spectators feeding the cyclists? You know, like don't feed the bears?
mzeffex is offline  
Old 11-05-09, 08:05 PM
  #22  
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder
 
Zephyr11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere between heaven and hell
Posts: 3,549

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by D.I.S.C.O View Post
IMHO, HT is ancient junk unless you race on smooth xc trails.
False. There are still some applications where a hardtail is beneficial. For example, it's more responsive for pump tracks and DJ. Then again, I've never ridden a Transition Double, so I might be wrong. I still prefer an FS for general trail riding though, and would still suggest the OP look in that direction.

Originally Posted by mzeffex View Post
You should see me ride on my hardtail. I do stuff many would not attempt on a full suspension. Now I'm not saying I'm good, I just make bad decisions.
Bad comparison. You can't compare different bikes with different riders. There are two variables there: bike and rider. Brian Lopes could ride blindfolded circles around me on a Huffy, while I'm riding my Yeti. Does that make the Huffy a better bike than the Yeti?
Zephyr11 is offline  
Old 11-06-09, 02:21 AM
  #23  
Frosticle
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metzinger: Yes you are correct.
The problem is that I live in southern parts of sweden these days, and there is not alot of shops that actually show off any MTBs here. (considering they do not even have hills)
So the only bikes I have been able to check out is Scott Scale and Aspect.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Guess I will go with a hardtail now, then ill rather put some more money and thoughts into a FS bike later on if I still find it fun.


http://cyclic-bikes.blogspot.com/200...9-preview.html
German bike with full XT setup. Cant be to bad i guess.
Frosticle is offline  
Old 11-06-09, 02:40 AM
  #24  
Metzinger
Primate
 
Metzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: gone
Posts: 2,579

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Cube looks great, but I would not buy a bike without riding it first to see if I liked it and felt comfortable on it.
Maybe you could try some when you next visit Copenhagen. Lots of MTBs in shops there.
Good luck!
Metzinger is offline  
Old 11-06-09, 03:15 AM
  #25  
Frosticle
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah Copenhagen is only 1 hour away so I might just do a weekend expedition.

Oh by the way Metzinger, how did you guess the race? Birkebeinerrittet that is.
Frosticle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.