Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   Conditioning That's Not Riding (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/600495-conditioning-thats-not-riding.html)

KJ333 11-04-09 10:37 PM

Conditioning That's Not Riding
 
I was looking for some suggestions as to what kinds of conditioning I can do to help with my mountain biking. I love to ride but I can't always get out to the trails with school and work and now daylight savings so now it's dark at 5:30. I'm trying to figure something out to do that will help primarily with my cardio. And I now the obvious answer is to run but I've heard that biking is anaerobic. I'm thinking about trying to swim but with a kick board and to just do kicks. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'll just drop in on a spin class haha

zeo_max 11-04-09 11:11 PM

The obvious answer is to get a trainer

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5448/tacxtrainer.jpg

yak 11-04-09 11:34 PM

Being both a roadie and a mtn biker, I would have to say that spin class is a great way to build your aerobic base.
If you're lucky like me, you'll be the only guy in the class. (If you're a chick then you'll fit right in)

KJ333 11-05-09 12:22 AM


Originally Posted by yak (Post 9986878)
Being both a roadie and a mtn biker, I would have to say that spin class is a great way to build your aerobic base.
If you're lucky like me, you'll be the only guy in the class. (If you're a chick then you'll fit right in)

oh I've done a couple before and to me it's mostly a lot of pretty dorky dudes in full spandex and clips haha it's pretty hilarious

Dannihilator 11-05-09 12:45 AM

It's called grind it out in the winter outside.

MindlessDeviant 11-05-09 01:19 AM

Ive got a trainer and on days its too nasty to get out on the GF the trainer with the crappy big box bike that doesnt shift worth a damn gets worked out like none other.

Chris_F 11-05-09 07:42 AM

Get a light and, if your area requires it, some warm clothes and studded tires.

C Law 11-05-09 07:46 AM


Originally Posted by Chris_F (Post 9987676)
Get a light and, if your area requires it, some warm clothes and studded tires.

yep.

+ Swimming is great for cardio, doesn't help the legs much

I wouldn't hop on the trainer just yet. Too early still. Wait until december.

bhkyte 11-05-09 08:01 AM


Originally Posted by KJ333 (Post 9986664)
And I now the obvious answer is to run but I've heard that biking is anaerobic.

running will help with cycling condition.there are elements of aerobic and anerobic training in both disciplines,like most sports.

junkyard 11-05-09 11:27 AM

You guys have touched on all aspects of my winter training plan: spinning, swimming, running. We'll see how it works out. I hate running.

JonnyV 11-05-09 05:29 PM

try a rower.

craigcraigcraig 11-05-09 06:02 PM

p90x

santiago 11-05-09 06:19 PM


Originally Posted by KJ333 (Post 9986664)
I was looking for some suggestions as to what kinds of conditioning I can do to help with my mountain biking. I love to ride but I can't always get out to the trails with school and work and now daylight savings so now it's dark at 5:30. I'm trying to figure something out to do that will help primarily with my cardio. And I now the obvious answer is to run but I've heard that biking is anaerobic. I'm thinking about trying to swim but with a kick board and to just do kicks. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'll just drop in on a spin class haha

I really, really, really recommend this workout. The program costs under $20 but it really is a great anaerobic workout. I don't pay for gym membership, just buy programs from time to time that I can easily do at home. This is definitely the number 1 program I felt improved my riding from an anaerobic point of view.

I am not an owner or get anything for recommending this but I'm a happy customer.

http://www.dbcombos.com/

RIC0 11-05-09 07:04 PM

run stairs

C_Heath 11-05-09 08:54 PM


Originally Posted by Dannihilator (Post 9987078)
It's called grind it out in the winter outside.

1400 lumens cures a buncha dam things.

KJ333 11-06-09 02:28 AM


Originally Posted by santiago (Post 9991533)
I really, really, really recommend this workout. The program costs under $20 but it really is a great anaerobic workout. I don't pay for gym membership, just buy programs from time to time that I can easily do at home. This is definitely the number 1 program I felt improved my riding from an anaerobic point of view.

I am not an owner or get anything for recommending this but I'm a happy customer.

http://www.dbcombos.com/

I have seen this before...There is a 20$ one and a 100$ one what am I missing here haha


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.