Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which model to go for?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Which model to go for?

Old 08-12-10, 03:02 AM
  #1  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which model to go for?

I have researched cycles online and am planning to buy a Schwinn soon. Can anyone tell me which model to go for? Should I go for Disc or V brakes?? As far as I know V brakes seems to give more problems. Is this true?
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-12-10, 04:28 PM
  #2  
pablosnazzy
Senior Member
 
pablosnazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: fruita, co
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
test ride the models and get the one that feels most comfortable. i'm thinking V brakes would be just fine for you .
pablosnazzy is offline  
Old 08-12-10, 05:20 PM
  #3  
BurnNotice
WNCrider
 
BurnNotice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V-brakes are as simple as it comes. Tried and true. But if you want more stopping power then go with disc. Then the question is hydraulic or mechanical. I like either. The only advantage to hydraulics I have heard are twin pistons that mash in toward the rotor rather than mechanical which push the rotor over to one side to create the friction point for stopping. I have had both and currently own two bikes with hydraulics. They even have some 4 piston versions out there now that really put the stop to you!

My wife's bike is mechanical and they do just fine. Trust me, I have seen her go over the handlebars on a quick forced brake! I laughed of course and she was not amused by that! Oh well.

My next question is???? Does Shimano make a bike with hydraulic disc brakes? My last Shimano was in 2001 which was a Moab and it had mechanical disc brakes. Also, Shimano is now a dept. store bike or at least that is what I have seen (which is a shame because Shimano use to be a top end bike years ago). Do dept. store bikes have any options like this?

But like pablosnazzy stated, ride each bike and get the one that fits you and feels best.

Good luck.
BurnNotice is offline  
Old 08-17-10, 04:21 AM
  #4  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion! cheers....

Originally Posted by pablosnazzy View Post
test ride the models and get the one that feels most comfortable. i'm thinking V brakes would be just fine for you .
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-17-10, 04:22 AM
  #5  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try both the bikes like one with V brakes and other with Disc's. Will make out as to which one requires more finger grip and pressure as well.....

And talking about recent Shimano bike with Disc's....If I'm not mistaken there's this "XTR Trail" which comes with a Disc...Still u check it out....


Originally Posted by BurnNotice View Post
V-brakes are as simple as it comes. Tried and true. But if you want more stopping power then go with disc. Then the question is hydraulic or mechanical. I like either. The only advantage to hydraulics I have heard are twin pistons that mash in toward the rotor rather than mechanical which push the rotor over to one side to create the friction point for stopping. I have had both and currently own two bikes with hydraulics. They even have some 4 piston versions out there now that really put the stop to you!

My wife's bike is mechanical and they do just fine. Trust me, I have seen her go over the handlebars on a quick forced brake! I laughed of course and she was not amused by that! Oh well.

My next question is???? Does Shimano make a bike with hydraulic disc brakes? My last Shimano was in 2001 which was a Moab and it had mechanical disc brakes. Also, Shimano is now a dept. store bike or at least that is what I have seen (which is a shame because Shimano use to be a top end bike years ago). Do dept. store bikes have any options like this?

But like pablosnazzy stated, ride each bike and get the one that fits you and feels best.

Good luck.
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-17-10, 06:22 AM
  #6  
BurnNotice
WNCrider
 
BurnNotice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked up Schwinn's current lineup...............nothing but a $430 hardtail named the Frontier with the low end componentry. Nothing else on the food chain in their mtb's. Like I said, none known to me brand new with high end components. Now the Frontier had disc brakes but a mix of very low end stuff added to it. Depending on your budget I might would look for something else. Schwinn like I said where I am from has become a dept. store bike which is a shame. But when a company has had to file bankruptcy a few times this is the logical end result.
BurnNotice is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 03:29 AM
  #7  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BurnNotice View Post
I looked up Schwinn's current lineup...............nothing but a $430 hardtail named the Frontier with the low end componentry. Nothing else on the food chain in their mtb's. Like I said, none known to me brand new with high end components. Now the Frontier had disc brakes but a mix of very low end stuff added to it. Depending on your budget I might would look for something else. Schwinn like I said where I am from has become a dept. store bike which is a shame. But when a company has had to file bankruptcy a few times this is the logical end result.

What about "Cannondale's" then. Actually I am looking all these bikes on "track and trail . in" cannot post the link here as there would be a chance of me considered as a spammer! Anyways I could actually see some bikes here. So instead of asking about each and every bike I thought to share the website with you. Let me know then what do you think is the best one in terms of V-brakes OR Disc's !
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 03:43 AM
  #8  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 38,301

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 3,211 Times in 1,744 Posts
I'm usually happy with V brakes. They're not as good in the muck, but riding in the muck is not good for the trails, either.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 05:57 AM
  #9  
JonathanGennick 
Senior Member
 
JonathanGennick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Munising, Michigan, USA
Posts: 4,131

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by piyushchauhan View Post
As far as I know V brakes seems to give more problems. Is this true?
Each type of brake comes with its own set of problems that you'll experience. I would not say that one has more problem than the other. Some might feel that way. But the reality is that if you ride a lot, you will sooner or later need to clean something, or adjust something, or troubleshoot some problem.

Plus, there are annoyances. Some do not like fussing with v-brake noodles. Others do not like bleeding hydraulic disk brakes. Choose your poison according to your preferences.

What specific model of Schwinn are you looking at?
JonathanGennick is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 11:36 PM
  #10  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I'm usually happy with V brakes. They're not as good in the muck, but riding in the muck is not good for the trails, either.

You mean to say that V brakes loose tyre grip in the muck?
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-18-10, 11:57 PM
  #11  
piyushchauhan
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
Each type of brake comes with its own set of problems that you'll experience. I would not say that one has more problem than the other. Some might feel that way. But the reality is that if you ride a lot, you will sooner or later need to clean something, or adjust something, or troubleshoot some problem.

Plus, there are annoyances. Some do not like fussing with v-brake noodles. Others do not like bleeding hydraulic disk brakes. Choose your poison according to your preferences.

What specific model of Schwinn are you looking at?

I agree. And if it's my bad luck any brake would give me problems ! About the Schwinn model, I have thought of "Schwinn Mesa Sport". Its a Disc one. Here's how it is...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Schwinn mesa spor.jpg (98.0 KB, 8 views)
piyushchauhan is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 12:09 AM
  #12  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 38,301

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 3,211 Times in 1,744 Posts
Originally Posted by piyushchauhan View Post
You mean to say that V brakes loose tyre grip in the muck?
It's primarily in the brake pad to braking surface interface, mainly by virtue of the disc brakes having the braking surface several inches above the muck instead of just a couple inches above the muck
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 10:26 AM
  #13  
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vegas Valley, NV
Posts: 5,495

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
My favorite models are leggy red heads, feisty!

Oh wrong thread, me bad, sorry!
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 10:36 AM
  #14  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,481

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
^^ Best answer.
__________________
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 04:54 PM
  #15  
Zan
Senior Member
 
Zan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waterloo, ONT
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damnit, I was expecting pictures. Misleading title...
Zan is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 05:19 PM
  #16  
rodeopunk_je87
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just stick with V-Brakes man...The only times you will gain any significant advantage with Disc brakes will be when you ride in a lot of water and even then, if the trail is wet, you're not allowed to ride it because it erodes it. Also, when you buy a bike with disc brakes, you're basically sacrificing the rest of the componentry (unless you're buying an expensive one). But if you're buying a bike under $500, they will give you disc brakes at a compromise; crappier components. That is unless you buy a bike that's already good and has a Disc version at an extra cost.

Last edited by rodeopunk_je87; 08-19-10 at 05:22 PM.
rodeopunk_je87 is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 05:43 PM
  #17  
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"
 
-_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WVU-Morgantown
Posts: 1,111

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the one that feels the best.
-_RebelRidin'_- is offline  
Old 08-19-10, 05:54 PM
  #18  
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"
 
-_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WVU-Morgantown
Posts: 1,111

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't ride really dirty or wet trails, or don't do a lot of down hills, you wont get the benefit from a disk brake.
V brakes work just fine, they do loose SOME stopping power in different elements, but they make different compounds, designs and patterns for different stuff. Hydraulic brake systems USUALLY require a little more mech. time. Bleeding, adjusting, etc. Nothing too bad. I haven't had to bleed mine yet, and it went on two international plane trips.

Mechanical systems will be a little more simpler, just have to adjust pad placement and tension, and other adjustments.

With a lower priced bike, I would go V brakes. They will stop you just fine if tuned in well.

My Dual Suspension All Mountain bike has Hydro Disks.
My Hardtail that I raced with originally had V's front and back. I raced on it and did just fine. I later upgraded the front to a mechanical disk for a tad better control for racing environments and hills. It has more stopping power than my Hydros (my hydros are lower end hayes)... BB7 FTW

Bottom line is, look at the components your are getting.

A 400 dollar bike with V's VS a 500 dollar bike with Disks.... your just paying for the disks.
-_RebelRidin'_- is offline  
Old 08-20-10, 12:26 AM
  #19  
dminor 
Moar cowbell
 
dminor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Posts: 12,481

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by -_RebelRidin'_- View Post
I. . . will be a little more simpler . . . .
Remind me how you got into college?
__________________
Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
dminor is offline  
Old 08-20-10, 06:17 AM
  #20  
Zan
Senior Member
 
Zan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Waterloo, ONT
Posts: 1,417

Bikes: Road: Trek 1.5 (2007). Mountain: Santa Cruz Chameleon (2008). Beater: Peugeot Recorde du Monde (1850)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been in country long distance. English well talking! I can having speech of American too. All your base are belong to us.
Zan is offline  
Old 08-20-10, 10:29 AM
  #21  
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles
 
Daspydyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vegas Valley, NV
Posts: 5,495

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
We keep buying squeak toys for Jinnie. She isn't happy until she digs the squeaker out of anything we buy her. Tthen she's depressed cause it wont squeak! Stupid dog.
__________________
I think its disgusting and terrible how people treat Lance Armstrong, especially after winning 7 Tour de France Titles while on drugs!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Daspydyr is offline  
Old 08-20-10, 06:52 PM
  #22  
-_RebelRidin'_-
"STAT"
 
-_RebelRidin'_-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: WVU-Morgantown
Posts: 1,111

Bikes: Trek 3900. 2007 Kona Dawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got into college based on pure awesomeness.
and the fact I cam going for a BSN, not English Major.
lol.
-_RebelRidin'_- is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tony_G
Road Cycling
25
07-12-18 07:04 PM
xlDooM
Mountain Biking
18
12-08-12 04:11 AM
Wheels Of Steel
General Cycling Discussion
0
07-13-12 05:41 PM
Gpaul
Mountain Biking
2
06-29-11 03:31 PM
Jbat35
Mountain Biking
5
04-02-10 05:48 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.