Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-11, 12:51 PM   #1
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Bikes: Trek Y5
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1998 Trek Y5 Parts help

I'm looking for some parts for an older Trek Y5. I fear that since it is an older bike I won't be able to find any. I specifically need the lower arm that the rear wheel goes on (I'm not sure what it's called). Would anyone know where to find older parts? Or would anyone know of a replacement part, older or newer?
SBwrx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 01:26 PM   #2
Moar cowbell
dminor's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The 509
Bikes: are awesome.
Posts: 12,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
You're going to have a tough time. Best chance of finding something is to periodically check on eBay. Type "rear triangle" into the search field. There are none right now but things like that show up occasionally. Someone else here may know for sure if the rear triangles for other Trek Y models are interchangeable.

Edit = You might check and see if there is any chance Boulton Design still has any left at all (they made an aftermarket one)

. . . but I would bet the cost would be more than saving your frame would be worth.

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
"Don't argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

Last edited by dminor; 06-02-11 at 01:32 PM.
dminor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 01:31 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lower arm,

I'm guessing this is what hold the rear wheel to the bike, and part of the frame?

I don't know the term either, but if it's that you can't replace it and you can, but it's not worth it.

You can find a galore of used parts on Ebay, none on CL

I also recommend that you swing by a local bike shop, after you explore the bike shops and talk to them. For a beginner a LBS can be a lifesaver, but make sure you shop around for one that's cheap, carries cheap and high end parts, and will do work or service for a good price. I go to one that will touch up my bike for free because the people know me well, and the parts or items I buy there are $1 over online prices.

a 1998 Trek will be able to take most if not all parts, give or take an adapter, with no difficulty. Research and read up on certain terms and way you may work on a bike and you'll learn that you'd need to buy a deraillier with a hanger because your bike doesn't have on built in. (this is not for you, just educational purpose)
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 AM.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.