Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bird face!

Old 11-17-04, 09:37 AM
  #1  
pointlessone
pointlessone
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 28

Bikes: Ridgeback Genesis Day 2, Kona Stinky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picture this (true story)
The other day i was hammering my local route, on the way to a fast downhill with my buddies. We stopped at the top of the run, the guy with the hardtail went to the bottom as fast as he could so he could radio back to us if we had a pedestrian, bike, horse free route down. He radios back with the good news so we take our marks and go for it, with about ten second intervals. Now i go second, with two guys behind me.
About half way down i see something out of the corner of my eye... (to complete this picture i have to let you know im wearing a full face helmet!)...... A bird... a pigeon to be precise. The timing was perfect.... it hits me square in the face.... and gets caught between the upper and lower portions of my helment. ... So there i am, full speed, with a flapping bird in my face! To add to my problems i hit a rut, go over the bars and the guys behind me pile into me.
As im laying on the ground, with my buddies tangled up with me in a very painful bundle, as if to really take the piss.. the pigeon gets out of my helmet...sits on my front wheel...does a massive dump and flys off..... Im now nursing a dislocated finger and a very bruised pride....
Now everyone is calling me tweetie pie! Has anyone tried fried pigeon before? please send in your recipes!

Last edited by pointlessone; 11-19-04 at 08:53 AM.
pointlessone is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 09:54 AM
  #2  
Dannihilator
Still kicking.
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,615

Bikes: 2008 Trek Portland, 1989 Nishiki Altron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Well, behind doves, Pigeons are the dumbest bird on the face of the planet.

Sucks to hear about the dislocated finger Tweetie Pie.
__________________
Appreciate the old bikes more than the new.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 10:06 AM
  #3  
Juniper
Digs technical steeps
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pointlessone
Picture this (true story)
The other day i was hammering my local route, on the way to a fast downhill with my buddies. We stopped at the top of the run, the guy with the hardtail went to the bottom as fast as he could so he could radio back to us if we had a pedestrian, bike, horse free route down. He radios back with the good news so we take our marks and go for it, with about ten second intervals. Now i go second, with two guys behind me.
About half way down i see something out of the corner of my eye... (to complete this picture i have to let you know im wearing a full face helmet!)...... A bird... a pigeon to be precise. The timing was perfect.... it hits me square in the face.... and gets caught between the upper and lower portions of my helment. ... So there i am, full speed, with a flapping bird in my face! To add to my problems i hit a rut, go over the bars and the guys behind me pile into me.
As im laying on the ground, with my buddies tangled up with me in a very painful bundle, as if to really take the piss.. the pigeon gets out of my helmet...sits on my front wheel...does a massive crap and flys off..... Im now nursing a dislocated finger and a very bruised pride....
Now everyone is calling me tweetie pie! Has anyone tried fried pigeon before? please send in your recipes!
Wow! That's crazy! I have had a bird and a squirrel and the occassional dog run into me but luckily I avoided a crash those times. Could have been worse; the bird could have pecked your eyes out as you were trying to keep control ('The bird pecked my eyes out just as I was going into some big air! I could sense I was maybe 7 feet off the ground and I knew I was about to come down in a rockgarden. I pulled back and loosened up enough to do a totally uncontrolled ride to the bottom of the chute on my rear wheel!') All joking aside, you are one lucky rider you didn't get scratched by the bird or hurt worse in your pile-up.

Too bad about the finger; those hurt! Don't worry about your pride; you've got a great story to tell for a long time (it's one of the great benefits of mtn biking).

Last edited by Juniper; 11-17-04 at 10:12 AM.
Juniper is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 10:33 AM
  #4  
rasheed
mmm babaghanouj.
 
rasheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: toronto, canada.
Posts: 848

Bikes: 2003 norco fluid 3.0, 2016 Intense Tracer 275C Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, that must have been quite a sight. hope the finger heals up quick...


Originally Posted by KonaRider24
Well, behind doves, Pigeons are the dumbest bird on the face of the planet.
they're practically the same bird - or rather family of birds...

britannica.com:
any of certain birds of the pigeon family, Columbidae (order Columbiformes). The names pigeon and dove are often used interchangeably. Although “dove” usually refers to the smaller, long-tailed members of the pigeon family, there are exceptions: the domestic pigeon, a rather typical pigeon, is frequently called the rock dove and is the bird portrayed and called the “dove…

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article...ck%20doves&ct=
rasheed is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 11:00 AM
  #5  
a2psyklnut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should send Joe Gardner a PM asking him to change your username! j/k dude.

I was once riding my road bike in a paceline and a squirrel committed suicide by running into the back wheel of the rider in front of me. I got splattered with squirrel guts, but no crash.

Hope the finger heals quickly!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 11:05 AM
  #6  
Akak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ROFL! Birds are just rats with wings!

The only bird encounter I've had on a bike occured when I was living in Colorado and JUST started mountain biking. This was around 1987 so bikes weren't a common thing on trails in the Front Range.

A friend and I were slowly descending a gentle fire road when something between us startled the hell out of me. It was a MASSIVE owl with a wingspan that must have been at least 6'. It came in completely silently and was low enough for me to look down at it.

For as big as it was, it was fast, too, and was gone before we could stop. I'm not sure if we disturbed its nest or what but it definitely came down for a closer look.

I've also seen a squirrel killed and a near collision with a deer. Both happened on the same road in Missouri during training rides with 3 other triathletes. The squirrel shot out of the woods and ran between the wheels of the Quintana Roo in front of me. It was killed instantly by the 110 psi wheel moving at 26 mph.

The deer was one of a group of 5 that we saw in a field from a LONG way off. We saw them in time to all comment "wow, look at that group of deer." They started running and we watched them and rode along the field. The deer never varied their course and neither did we. They hopped the fence (which was beautiful to see) and the entire paceline had to lock up the brakes to avoid hitting the last one.

Hope the finger heals fast!

Last edited by Akak; 11-17-04 at 11:09 AM. Reason: squirrel addition
Akak is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 03:48 PM
  #7  
swifferman
Senior Member
 
swifferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've eaten pigeon

It is mighty tasty!
swifferman is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 05:22 PM
  #8  
issues034
Proud to be a MAGGOT!
 
issues034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The most boring place imaginable.
Posts: 175

Bikes: Haro Escape 8.1, and a DBack Sherman.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well to tell you the truth pigeons ar among the smartest birds on the planet, they just seem dumb because all birds are ********.
issues034 is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 08:21 PM
  #9  
hooligan
Just give'er.
 
hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,899

Bikes: 04 Scrap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parrots seem to be quite smart. I heard that one learned over 400 words and used grammar properly. 400 or 4000 I forgot.
hooligan is offline  
Old 11-17-04, 11:57 PM
  #10  
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,409

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never had a bird in my helmet but i've had a bee. Scared the $hit out of me. Luckily it didn't sting me...
anthonaut is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 12:16 AM
  #11  
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had incounters with pidgeons before. I was riding on a bike path, and there are sort of shrubs on either sides, and a group of pidgeons on the track doing who knows what. I thought, they will move out of the way (i'm going fairly fast), all execpt one moved, so i had to do a quick right turn to avoid it but the stupid thing went right as well, and i ran over it. Not completley over it but hit it with my wheel, i turned around and saw it hoddling back into the shrubs. On the topic of birds that no one likes, i just hate crows, they just wont shutup and wake me up each morning!
blue_neon is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 12:38 AM
  #12  
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,409

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good footy team though (Don't worry- Australian thing)
anthonaut is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 10:25 AM
  #13  
greenbreezer
Go hula
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 212

Bikes: McMahon Ti hardtail, Breezer Storm commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL!!! I think what adds to the humor is that you guys took the diligence to make sure the trail was completely clear so you can hammer as hard as you can. But you guys still ended up crashing into each instead. Bird's fault, of course.

I once had a bee bounce off my sunglasses and ricochet into my sportsbra. I couldn't just let one hand go to try to shoo it out cuz we were on some pretty technical terrain. So it stung me. YOW!!! So there I was, the only woman in a group of 5 riders standing on the side of the trail sticking my hand down my jersey trying to pull out the bee's stinger. Needless to say, the "Can I help you with that??" jokes were flying!
greenbreezer is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 11:28 PM
  #14  
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anthonaut
Good footy team though (Don't worry- Australian thing)
I dunno, i would wish they would go back to Adeladie but. Of course only me, a Maggy fan, would say something like that
blue_neon is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 01:51 AM
  #15  
Hopper
Ride bike or bike ride?
 
Hopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,447

Bikes: MongoosePro DH, Dart custom road bike, .243 Racing FR street bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a real footy team, look to the Swans, go Sydney, Go Sydney.

Hey Neon, I got something you might want, a pre-WWII VFL premiership medal from my great-grandfather, however I wouldn't sell it though.
Hopper is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 02:08 AM
  #16  
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah
 
anthonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,409

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenbreezer
LOL!!! I think what adds to the humor is that you guys took the diligence to make sure the trail was completely clear so you can hammer as hard as you can. But you guys still ended up crashing into each instead. Bird's fault, of course.

I once had a bee bounce off my sunglasses and ricochet into my sportsbra. I couldn't just let one hand go to try to shoo it out cuz we were on some pretty technical terrain. So it stung me. YOW!!! So there I was, the only woman in a group of 5 riders standing on the side of the trail sticking my hand down my jersey trying to pull out the bee's stinger. Needless to say, the "Can I help you with that??" jokes were flying!
I can understand the jokers' reasoning!
anthonaut is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 03:04 AM
  #17  
khuon
DEADBEEF
 
khuon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
Posts: 12,234

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never smacked into a bird. Plenty of spider webs though and plenty of insects... I did get attacked by a flock of birds once. I s'pose they liked the colour of my helmet or something.
__________________
1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122
khuon is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 08:34 AM
  #18  
Juniper
Digs technical steeps
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
I've never smacked into a bird. Plenty of spider webs though and plenty of insects... I did get attacked by a flock of birds once. I s'pose they liked the colour of my helmet or something.
The worst encounter I've had with something like that was when a wasp flew between my glasses and my eyelid and went crazy. I could kind of see it coming towards me on a 'bee line' just to the left of me. Of course, I thought it would just zip by. It flew straight in between my shades and my face and freaked out; eventually stinging me right on my eyelid. There was nothing I could do in the two seconds it took for it to all happen! I whipped my glasses off, just flung them, but it was too late. I crashed (I was just meandering) but hardly noticed it because of what was going on with my eye.

My eyelid and cheek swelled to the point that I had to pull my eyelid open with my fingers a few times a day for about three days to make sure I still had vision. I suppose the swelled area looked like the size of a softball cut in half and layed on my face. I looked like I was wearing a hallowean mask and it totally freaked everyone who saw me for a week or so! Weird.
Juniper is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 11:26 AM
  #19  
greenbreezer
Go hula
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 212

Bikes: McMahon Ti hardtail, Breezer Storm commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juniper
The worst encounter I've had with something like that was when a wasp flew between my glasses and my eyelid and went crazy. I could kind of see it coming towards me on a 'bee line' just to the left of me. Of course, I thought it would just zip by. It flew straight in between my shades and my face and freaked out; eventually stinging me right on my eyelid. There was nothing I could do in the two seconds it took for it to all happen! I whipped my glasses off, just flung them, but it was too late. I crashed (I was just meandering) but hardly noticed it because of what was going on with my eye.

My eyelid and cheek swelled to the point that I had to pull my eyelid open with my fingers a few times a day for about three days to make sure I still had vision. I suppose the swelled area looked like the size of a softball cut in half and layed on my face. I looked like I was wearing a hallowean mask and it totally freaked everyone who saw me for a week or so! Weird.

I once got attacked by a swarm of wasps! The weird part was that there were 6 of us, but they all came after me! We were stopped on a singletrack so were all in a line, taking a break. One of the guys went off-trail to take a pee and on his way back, stepped on a wasp's nest. They didn't even touch him. I was the only woman in the group, but I don't wear any kind of perfume or lotions (at least not when I ride with my knuckle-dragging buddies -- love you guys! You know I do!). I wasn't wearing anything that was any different from the rest of the group either (drab jersey, black shorts, white helmet....) You often hear about "women's scents" and "men's scents" and it made us wonder if that's what made the wasps hone in on just me. My husband grabbed my arm and abducted me down the trail while the rest of the guys shoo'ed the wasps away. But I still got stung about 5 or 6 times and the guys were unscathed!
greenbreezer is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 01:57 PM
  #20  
Juniper
Digs technical steeps
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greenbreezer
I once got attacked by a swarm of wasps! The weird part was that there were 6 of us, but they all came after me! We were stopped on a singletrack so were all in a line, taking a break. One of the guys went off-trail to take a pee and on his way back, stepped on a wasp's nest. They didn't even touch him. I was the only woman in the group, but I don't wear any kind of perfume or lotions (at least not when I ride with my knuckle-dragging buddies -- love you guys! You know I do!). I wasn't wearing anything that was any different from the rest of the group either (drab jersey, black shorts, white helmet....) You often hear about "women's scents" and "men's scents" and it made us wonder if that's what made the wasps hone in on just me. My husband grabbed my arm and abducted me down the trail while the rest of the guys shoo'ed the wasps away. But I still got stung about 5 or 6 times and the guys were unscathed!
Wow! That reminds me of the time I took a friend mtn biking for his first ride. There was a medium sized log over the trail and I told him to follow and watch how I unweighted my bike to hop the log. Thump-thump; I went up and over, knocking the log with my rear tire. I looked back to watch him but what I saw was a cloud of wasps boiling out the end of the log just as he approached it.

He couldn't get over the log (being a first time rider enveloped in wasps didn't help) so I encouraged him (from a distance ; ) to hurry up and we rode like crazy down the trail with this cloud of wasps chasing us. He, being the slower rider, got stung 8 times. He still pesters me to this day about it.
Juniper is offline  
Old 11-21-04, 02:40 AM
  #21  
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
If you want a real footy team, look to the Swans, go Sydney, Go Sydney.
.
Come on, not including this year , two grand finals in a row and a third to come next year!!!
blue_neon is offline  
Old 04-11-05, 10:32 PM
  #22  
[bEn]
Just Ride
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 1,343

Bikes: 2005 Giant Yukon with the works.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hopper
If you want a real footy team, look to the Swans, go Sydney, Go Sydney.
WoW Hopper your a Sydney fan, good on ya! BTW blue_neon, magpies arn't that good.
[bEn] is offline  
Old 04-12-05, 03:42 PM
  #23  
madbiker555
close to 2000
 
madbiker555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,856

Bikes: 05 Brodie Diablo - 06 Norco 416

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pidgeon= bag of crap with wings
madbiker555 is offline  
Old 04-12-05, 03:53 PM
  #24  
CranxOC
Senior Member
 
CranxOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: OC, California
Posts: 504

Bikes: '04 Specialized Stumpy FSR Pro (Frame and Shock Only)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You really need to change your screen name to "Tweetie Pie;" it's the right thing to do!
CranxOC is offline  
Old 04-12-05, 05:54 PM
  #25  
blue_neon
Elite Rep
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Melbourne - Australia
Posts: 2,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sS-bEn
WoW Hopper your a Sydney fan, good on ya! BTW blue_neon, magpies arn't that good.
And you think that your 'out of state' Sydney are? Why dont you move over there...
blue_neon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.