Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I just put 3Lbs on my bike!!!

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

I just put 3Lbs on my bike!!!

Old 11-18-04, 08:47 PM
  #1  
sparks_219 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sparks_219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 646

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put 3Lbs on my bike!!!

I decided to throw my Rhyno Lite w/ Deores on my Rocky Mountain Instinct. The bike went from 24lbs to 27lbs because of heavier tires and the wheels. For some odd reason, I dont really notice the extra weight even on climbs, and the front end of the bike seems much more sturdy going down rocky hills, or any rock garden in general.

I've only taken my bike out for 1 ride since the wheel change, maybe I will notice it later Do you find it strange that I didn't notice the extra weight while climbing? It really puzzles me.....

Ming
sparks_219 is offline  
Old 11-18-04, 09:10 PM
  #2  
swifferman
Senior Member
 
swifferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go read the countless articles on why weight means squat unless you're Lance Armstrong.

But nice rims!
swifferman is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 12:46 AM
  #3  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks_219
I decided to throw my Rhyno Lite w/ Deores on my Rocky Mountain Instinct. The bike went from 24lbs to 27lbs because of heavier tires and the wheels. For some odd reason, I dont really notice the extra weight even on climbs, and the front end of the bike seems much more sturdy going down rocky hills, or any rock garden in general.

I've only taken my bike out for 1 ride since the wheel change, maybe I will notice it later Do you find it strange that I didn't notice the extra weight while climbing? It really puzzles me.....

Ming
I absolutely love my Rhyno / XT wheelset. So solid. Of course being a bigger guy wieght weenie stuff simply won't work for me.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 06:45 AM
  #4  
serious
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 150

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sparks_219

Wow, 3 lbs sounds like it is too much of a difference! What tires did you have before? Are you sure your bike was 24lbs before?

Swifferman,

Weight means squat? I bet that after 4 hours of hard XC riding you will feel differently. I would agree that some weight here and there is no big deal, but 3 lbs is a lot, if performance matters (especially if it is all in the tires).
serious is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 06:55 AM
  #5  
wonder squirrel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd say the slower you climbed the less you would notice a heavy wheel (i.e. climbing a very steep incline) ,seems like acceleration out of the hole would be the only part you would feel it..no?
wonder squirrel is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 07:19 AM
  #6  
sparks_219 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sparks_219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 646

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serious
sparks_219

Wow, 3 lbs sounds like it is too much of a difference! What tires did you have before? Are you sure your bike was 24lbs before?

Swifferman,

Weight means squat? I bet that after 4 hours of hard XC riding you will feel differently. I would agree that some weight here and there is no big deal, but 3 lbs is a lot, if performance matters (especially if it is all in the tires).
I dont know the exact weight of my Instinct, but on a bathroom scale, it registered about 24.5lbs with it on my shoulder. The bike registered 3lbs more w/ the new wheelset. So I'm pretty sure the weight difference is correct.

Factory wheelset: Mavic 221 on LX hubs and Hutchson Python AirLite Tires
Old wheelset: RhynoLite wheelset w/ Deore hub on the front and STX-RC on the back. Front tire is an old Panaracer DH tire, really knobby and heavy. Back tire is a Hutchson Scorpion. Both tires have steel bead, so I think the weight gain is about correct.

For some odd reason, I really dont notice the weight difference on climbs, maybe I'll take it out this weekend and do more steep stuff. The bike is slower on the road, but I think that's majorly due to the higher rolling resistance of knobby tires.

It just really puzzles me because people have been talking about rotational weight gain is the worth sort of weight to have on the bike. However, strangely, I fail to see it. I will also slap on a Dirt Jumper II fork (2002) this weekend and see how much worse the bike climbs

Ming

PS..I'm doing this to train myself for the racing season next year. Also, the heavier parts are my reliability insurance and also saves a little bit of wear and tear on my SID.
sparks_219 is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 07:23 AM
  #7  
sparks_219 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sparks_219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 646

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
I'd say the slower you climbed the less you would notice a heavy wheel (i.e. climbing a very steep incline) ,seems like acceleration out of the hole would be the only part you would feel it..no?
I have to say I was a little slower up hill I regularly climb. However, I was doing that during the end of my ride, and I usually climb it at the beginning. I thought I was just more tired

Either way, I have to replace the heavy front tire w/ most likely a Panaraer XC PRO 2.1s. The wheelset is staying on as my training set because they feel much sturdier. Although at a 190lbs, I dont think i'm a cycleade, but I've tacoed my fair share of cheap and light wheels

Ming
sparks_219 is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 05:05 PM
  #8  
swifferman
Senior Member
 
swifferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serious
sparks_219

Wow, 3 lbs sounds like it is too much of a difference! What tires did you have before? Are you sure your bike was 24lbs before?

Swifferman,

Weight means squat? I bet that after 4 hours of hard XC riding you will feel differently. I would agree that some weight here and there is no big deal, but 3 lbs is a lot, if performance matters (especially if it is all in the tires).
I read somewhere that 1 lb on your bike in the tour de france turns into 1 minute longer it takes you to ride. (Not sure if that applied to the entire race or individual stages or what)
Now unless you're racing the difference smaller weight differences gives you is neglible. While 3lbs. is on the heavier side it still shouldn't make that huge of a difference.
swifferman is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 05:17 PM
  #9  
hooligan
Just give'er.
 
hooligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,899

Bikes: 04 Scrap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are rhyno lites actually pretty good? I've been consdering a new pair of platform pedals as well as rims. I will do freeriding, slight bmx and slight dirt jumping.
hooligan is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 05:26 PM
  #10  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are decent. I have done 5 footers on mine. One was a missed dj that I completely overshot the tranny and landed 6 ft to flat. I also have the XL's with 36 holes and a high end hub...
Maelstrom is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 07:22 PM
  #11  
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p
 
cryogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,139

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It had to be a combination of wheels + tires because going from my JoyTech + DitchWitch wheels to the WTB LaserDisc + Mavic 717's will only save me about 1000g, which is about 2.2 lbs. What were your other wheels on your RM Instinct? The WTB/717 combo is about as light as you can possibly get (barely 1500g for the set). I'm guessing you also went from some 550g tires to some 850-900g tires as well. That'd account for the 3 lbs.
cryogenic is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 08:42 PM
  #12  
sparks_219 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sparks_219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 646

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cryogenic
It had to be a combination of wheels + tires because going from my JoyTech + DitchWitch wheels to the WTB LaserDisc + Mavic 717's will only save me about 1000g, which is about 2.2 lbs. What were your other wheels on your RM Instinct? The WTB/717 combo is about as light as you can possibly get (barely 1500g for the set). I'm guessing you also went from some 550g tires to some 850-900g tires as well. That'd account for the 3 lbs.

Factory wheelset: Mavic 221 on LX hubs and Hutchson Python AirLite Tires
THe AirLite tires are only 440grams. I think the 221s add up to about 1900grams, maybe a little less. THey feel flexy compared to my Rhyno Lites for sure :0
sparks_219 is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 09:09 PM
  #13  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks_219
I will also slap on a Dirt Jumper II fork (2002) this weekend and see how much worse the bike climbs
Not the best idea....espically on your RM cross country bike.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 09:17 PM
  #14  
sparks_219 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
sparks_219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 646

Bikes: Rocky Mountain Instinct, Cannondale Six13, Cervelo One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mindbogger
Not the best idea....espically on your RM cross country bike.
Most people have been telling me that. Is it bad because of the extra weight or is it bad because it will put extra stress on the frame? Or would it make the bike next to unridable?

Ming
sparks_219 is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 09:21 PM
  #15  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks_219
Most people have been telling me that. Is it bad because of the extra weight or is it bad because it will put extra stress on the frame? Or would it make the bike next to unridable?

Ming
Its definetly ridable but is it really needed?

Depending on how much travel you get, it may rake out the bike turning it into a chopper.

Secondly, its overkill for its application. If you wanna make sure your SID last until next season. I got forks for sale in my signature

Also i got a 99 z2 atomn bomb with 63mm (all bolt on)
mindbogger is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 10:09 PM
  #16  
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p
 
cryogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,139

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mindbogger
Its definetly ridable but is it really needed?

Depending on how much travel you get, it may rake out the bike turning it into a chopper.

Secondly, its overkill for its application. If you wanna make sure your SID last until next season. I got forks for sale in my signature

Also i got a 99 z2 atomn bomb with 63mm (all bolt on)
raked out chopper-ish you say? How about this?.

But seriously... as far as the fork goes, I'd probably just pick up a cheap used XC fork instead of putting the DJ on that XC bike. It would most likely make the bike handle like crap as mentioned above.
cryogenic is offline  
Old 11-19-04, 11:33 PM
  #17  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
They are decent. I have done 5 footers on mine. One was a missed dj that I completely overshot the tranny and landed 6 ft to flat. I also have the XL's with 36 holes and a high end hub...
Decent? After all the selling I did on those rims all I get is decent? I need to go lie down
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 11-20-04, 12:14 AM
  #18  
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Posts: 16,966

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep decent...I still don't think they are on par with say a 321d...but for 95% of the use people on here and around the mtb world need, I would recommend them to just about anyone

Please be warned...2002 dj's and z1's had a BIG fault, stanchion were very weak, the cryo-fit was horrible and overall, 100% of the djers I know of being used at the proper level of abuse (djing....) BROKE!!! One was so bad he landed a 7ft drop to tranny after doing a barspin and the fork broke without any usual 2002 creak...evil fork
Maelstrom is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.