Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Road biking, I dont quite get it.

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Road biking, I dont quite get it.

Old 04-08-12, 05:44 AM
  #101  
scyclops
dont make me get the belt
 
scyclops's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southeastern U.S.
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
I hope you don't mind, but that's going in my signature unless you say otherwise.
I would be honored, sir.
scyclops is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 08:48 AM
  #102  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 14,504

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Obviously a lot of drivers are going to have this attitude, and a certain fraction of them are going to be enraged and react dangerously to a bicycle slowing them down. I went through all of this before deciding to go car-free for a couple of years. The bottom line I came to is this: anyone who strongly objects, including and specifically with the reasoning "car-sized objects going 55 and small bicycles going 15 just don't mix, physics always wins" is simply wrong. Legally wrong, morally wrong, logically wrong, and wrong in practice.

In this country, a legal right is fundamental. As long as you're going about your legal and rightful business, excepting extraordinary situations, you do not have to justify your free exercise of your legal right to anyone including anyone in authority, let alone the random person on the street. If that person has a problem with it, it's their problem. If by their actions you are forced to face extra risk, they are in the wrong legally and morally, and it's their obligation to alter their behavior, not yours. If they refuse to do so, if they rant and rave about the cyclists, then they are the ******-bags.

Therefore, as long as you're operating legally and you respect common courtesy enough not to exaggerate your rights and push the boundaries, you have the right and are right to be on the road of your choosing. And in practice it's not nearly so risky as the inexperienced or ignorant will suppose - because the laws governing these activities are designed that way for good reason: because over years and decades they have been found to work.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 12:18 PM
  #103  
corvuscorvax
Gone.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
How did you miss the part I said about "yes, it's Legal to..., but that doesn't mean you're not a self-centered d-bag in certain situations if you do" or something like that?
[...]
Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I just think it sucks when people are self centered about their opinion. I wouldn't go flying through a school zone at 50mph in my car. Why do Some road bikers think they should block traffic of a high speed road and go 15mph?
[...]
If the cyclist can mosey down a 55mph road in the middle of the lane holding up traffic because "Hey, it's legal, right, so **** everyone else. This is what I want to do and it's all about me." Then why shouldn't I use my DMV/DOT suggested action and give them a horn honk?
So your point of view is that, despite the fact that the cyclist is behaving perfectly legally, you think they're being rude, and therefore you feel it is justified to retaliate? This is road rage, plain and simple. The fact that you have a flimsy rationalization for your use of the horn doesn't justify it. (Flying through a school zone at 50 mph is illegal, by the way -- probably a felony.)

If you are actually in the habit of retaliating against other road users for perceived rudeness, you should seriously look into some anger management counseling, because you are a hazard to others.

Last edited by corvuscorvax; 04-08-12 at 12:24 PM.
corvuscorvax is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 12:44 PM
  #104  
3speed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 3,345
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer View Post
I didn't miss it at all...

Also, if a cyclist is in fact "moseying" down a 55mph road in the middle of the lane holding up traffic, they are indeed impeding traffic and they should be cited by the police for their violation...

But since you have clearly shown the depth of your ignorance of the law and the rights of others...
Well you missed something. You've got selective reading. I've stated very clearly that I Do support road cycling when done safely, which usually matches up with legally. And I've stated many times that I realize that many times a cyclist in the middle of a high speed road is legal, so I clearly do know the law and legal rights of others. And I've given clear examples of the type of stuff I'm talking about, which you now say that someone deserves a traffic violation for, yet you still feel they should be able to do it? That's the only conclusion I can draw since you have a problem with me saying it's wrong for them to do that and that they're a self-centered prick, but you continue to call me arrogant, ignorant, etc. And as I've already said, the problem is that the police don't Ever do anything about people doing that stuff. So some continue to do it and, yes, they are indeed self-centered pricks.

You just aren't making any sense. (summed up) Me - "I hate those self centered pricks that ride down the middle of a 55mph road and impede traffic." You - "You're arrogant to think that you should be able to tell people what they can or cannot do. Yes, those people should be cited by police for their violation. But your post is arrogant, naive, and absurd." What?

And, yes, roads Are built for cars. I don't know if you really don't understand that or if you're just trolling me. How can someone not see from looking at the fact that they're Clearly designed and optimized for car travel? Yes, cyclists should Absolutely be able to ride on them if it's safe to do so. Pedestrians should be allowed to cross them when it's safe to do so. Many other things are just fine when it's safe to do so. But that doesn't mean roads are made For pedestrians walking any more than bikes riding along. They Can be used for many things, but they're made For cars.
3speed is offline  
Old 04-08-12, 01:47 PM
  #105  
pablosnazzy
Senior Member
 
pablosnazzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: fruita, co
Posts: 1,701

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think you are all missing the point. bicycles are stupid and make no sense. you all need to grow the f&*k up, stop playing with toys, and drive the ferd fteenthousand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1C0r2EHQfY
pablosnazzy is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 11:06 AM
  #106  
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend
 
junkyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: American Gardens Building
Posts: 3,826

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard, if Obama is re-elected, he'll take your guns, road bikes and freedom.
junkyard is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 12:39 PM
  #107  
samburger
Redheaded Stepchild
 
samburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 1,912

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard he eats babies for breakfast.
samburger is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:01 PM
  #108  
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....
 
Stealthammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Whitestown, IN
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed View Post
Well you missed something. You've got selective reading. I've stated very clearly that I Do support road cycling when done safely, which usually matches up with legally. And I've stated many times that I realize that many times a cyclist in the middle of a high speed road is legal, so I clearly do know the law and legal rights of others. And I've given clear examples of the type of stuff I'm talking about, which you now say that someone deserves a traffic violation for, yet you still feel they should be able to do it? That's the only conclusion I can draw since you have a problem with me saying it's wrong for them to do that and that they're a self-centered prick, but you continue to call me arrogant, ignorant, etc. And as I've already said, the problem is that the police don't Ever do anything about people doing that stuff. So some continue to do it and, yes, they are indeed self-centered pricks.

You just aren't making any sense. (summed up) Me - "I hate those self centered pricks that ride down the middle of a 55mph road and impede traffic." You - "You're arrogant to think that you should be able to tell people what they can or cannot do. Yes, those people should be cited by police for their violation. But your post is arrogant, naive, and absurd." What?

And, yes, roads Are built for cars. I don't know if you really don't understand that or if you're just trolling me. How can someone not see from looking at the fact that they're Clearly designed and optimized for car travel? Yes, cyclists should Absolutely be able to ride on them if it's safe to do so. Pedestrians should be allowed to cross them when it's safe to do so. Many other things are just fine when it's safe to do so. But that doesn't mean roads are made For pedestrians walking any more than bikes riding along. They Can be used for many things, but they're made For cars.
Sorry dude but it is you who are not making any sense, and you've got selective memory. In your initiate post you very clearly stated: "I also hate those d-bag road bikers who ride in the road on roads that are either really busy or have speed limits above 35 unless it's a road that isn't very busy at all. Those self centered pricks love to block traffic around here sometimes. And you can "blah blah blah, they have a right to the road too, blah blah blah" but no, the roads are not built for bikes. They are built for cars. That's why they have 55mph speed limits and car lanes. Yes, you Can Legally ride a bike in the road if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's not a self-centered prick thing to do on many roads", which you have cleaned up a bit in your latest statement: "I've stated very clearly that I Do support road cycling when done safely, which usually matches up with legally. And I've stated many times that I realize that many times a cyclist in the middle of a high speed road is legal, so I clearly do know the law and legal rights of others.". Congratulations, you have almost figured it out.

Then you state: "And I've given clear examples of the type of stuff I'm talking about, which you now say that someone deserves a traffic violation for, yet you still feel they should be able to do it?", when in fact the only thing you mentioned that I suggested that someone should be cited for is "impeding traffic". I stand by that statement, but since it is actually the only example that you gave that I offered a opinion on, so your latest comment is bogus. You are slipping backwards again.....

Further, your statement: "And, yes, roads Are built for cars." is BS. Roads are designed and built for a veriety of users including truck, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians. Your statement: "Yes, cyclists should Absolutely be able to ride on them if it's safe to do so." is also BS. Who are you to decide when it is safe to do so or not? And "But that doesn't mean roads are made For pedestrians walking any more than bikes riding along." is just as much BS. Get a F'ing clue! Do some research! You are off the back again, sorry!


That combined with your comments from your earlier posts where you stated: "Admittedly, I've never looked it up in the laws.", and then "I'm All for biking, and I'm even for biking on roads that are safe and when it's a reasonable compromise for a biker to be there, but bikes should not be riding in the middle of a car lane, blocking traffic on a busy road, or be riding on a high mph road if it isn't a reasonable area for a car to safely go around them in the other lane. If they do, they're a self centered prick"...., are stunning because once again you choose to be the judge as to whether or not a cyclist should be allowed to ride on a road that they clearly have a legal right to use, while admitting that you do not know the law!?! Once again, get a clue, you do not have that right! Simple as that. Grow up.

And then you further went on to say: "It's also illegal to impede traffic, even if it's a cyclist. It's just one of those things that the cops never do anything about.". No ****. I clearly stated that someone who is holding up traffic should be cited for is "impeding traffic", and if you believe that that is one of those things that "the cops never do anything about" that's you opinion, but you are plainly wrong. Everywhere that I have lived cyclists and other vehicles are very aware that they can be cited for is impeding traffic, and they often are if they are indeed guilty.


Quit digging, you are clearly in a hole. You still aren't making any sense, although you are less absurd than you were in your initial post, and you clearly do not know the law, and you assume that you have the right to decide when and where a cyclist should be allowed to ride on the road.

BTW: I am most certainly not "trolling" you, I am just astounded by your arrogance, naivete, and absurdity. Your trolling got you into this discussion, and you just keep digging away.....

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-09-12 at 02:07 PM.
Stealthammer is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:17 PM
  #109  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,774

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Just a little clarification on "impeding traffic:"

If there is more than one lane going in the same directions as the cyclist (i.e. - multi-lane thoroughfare), thus, leaving an open lane to the left, a cyclist, taking the full lane is not impeding traffic.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:20 PM
  #110  
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....
 
Stealthammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Whitestown, IN
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Obviously a lot of drivers are going to have this attitude, and a certain fraction of them are going to be enraged and react dangerously to a bicycle slowing them down. I went through all of this before deciding to go car-free for a couple of years. The bottom line I came to is this: anyone who strongly objects, including and specifically with the reasoning "car-sized objects going 55 and small bicycles going 15 just don't mix, physics always wins" is simply wrong. Legally wrong, morally wrong, logically wrong, and wrong in practice.

In this country, a legal right is fundamental. As long as you're going about your legal and rightful business, excepting extraordinary situations, you do not have to justify your free exercise of your legal right to anyone including anyone in authority, let alone the random person on the street. If that person has a problem with it, it's their problem. If by their actions you are forced to face extra risk, they are in the wrong legally and morally, and it's their obligation to alter their behavior, not yours. If they refuse to do so, if they rant and rave about the cyclists, then they are the ******-bags.

Therefore, as long as you're operating legally and you respect common courtesy enough not to exaggerate your rights and push the boundaries, you have the right and are right to be on the road of your choosing. And in practice it's not nearly so risky as the inexperienced or ignorant will suppose - because the laws governing these activities are designed that way for good reason: because over years and decades they have been found to work.
......... +1 ... ... 100% ... Thank you!... I wish we could give rep here!



Originally Posted by corvuscorvax View Post
So your point of view is that, despite the fact that the cyclist is behaving perfectly legally, you think they're being rude, and therefore you feel it is justified to retaliate? This is road rage, plain and simple. The fact that you have a flimsy rationalization for your use of the horn doesn't justify it. (Flying through a school zone at 50 mph is illegal, by the way -- probably a felony.)

If you are actually in the habit of retaliating against other road users for perceived rudeness, you should seriously look into some anger management counseling, because you are a hazard to others.
......... +1 ... ... 100% ... Thank you too!... And rep to you too!



Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Just a little clarification on "impeding traffic:"

If there is more than one lane going in the same directions as the cyclist (i.e. - multi-lane thoroughfare), thus, leaving an open lane to the left, a cyclist, taking the full lane is not impeding traffic.
.........+1 ... ... That's the way it has worked everywhere that I have lived too!

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-09-12 at 02:33 PM.
Stealthammer is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 02:51 PM
  #111  
electrik
Single-serving poster
 
electrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Think of it as modern XC racing with the chance to get hit and killed by an ******* in a car.
electrik is offline  
Old 04-09-12, 03:09 PM
  #112  
Rodimus_Prime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. - Not always
2. - So
3. - I never wear neon
4. - The choice of roads I ride is pretty calm
5. - sidewalk is a great way to crash, or injure pedestrians, not to mention its illegal
6. - Niether is cow ****

I dont really understand mountain biking either
1. why would you purposely ride a ****ty road
2. Its slow and dirty
3. I don't like junk in my way like huge rocks and tree stumps that I can flip over and injure myself
4. I dont see the thrill in covering 6 miles in an hour
5. When its 90 degrees out the last thing I want is some silly motorcycle helmet
6. I dont have bears and snakes and other wild animals after me, I can also get phone reception in civilization
Rodimus_Prime is offline  
Old 04-11-12, 05:38 PM
  #113  
MadMechanic
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy accountability?

I hath been gone all weekend...riding like a normal person...and I come back to an even more unbelievable ****storm of my fellow bike riders exchanging what seems to be irrelevant stoner-talk! what the ****. I am about to log off for good. IT's just not worth the discussion.... given so many people are so erratically opinionated about such non-competitive bull****. I might come back some years from now when society is comfortable with ones self. Until then. I am out. Peace my bike riding friends. This is bull****.


Good Night....and good luck.

Last edited by Dannihilator; 04-11-12 at 05:46 PM.
MadMechanic is offline  
Old 04-11-12, 06:23 PM
  #114  
Siu Blue Wind
BACK2ME
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 12,953
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
.....and with that said, (yes, the thread was dead for two days) this thread is now closed. Thank you for playing.
__________________
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mad Dog Dave
Introductions
2
11-10-07 06:46 AM
d1304life
Mountain Biking
2
10-22-02 07:42 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.