Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Question about used 1995 Bianchi Ibex

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Question about used 1995 Bianchi Ibex

Old 01-11-05, 07:40 PM
  #1  
ckleps
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 516

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about used 1995 Bianchi Ibex

I'm a road biker who is thinking about getting into mountan biking to mix things up from time to time. I don't have much for a mtb since most of my cash went into a new road bike. I'm looking to buy used and a friend at work offered to sell me a 10 year old Bianchi Ibex. Since its so old I can't find any specs at the bianchi page. Does anyone know anything about this bike? What components it has? He claims he hasn't ridden it much but doesn't have an odometer so he can't give me an exact number. Its a cro-moly frame. Anyone have any insight into how much life this frame would have left in it? I don't have a mojor problem switching out components but I need a sturdy lasting frame. Any range of price I should consider paying him for it? I really appreciate any help that people might have with this.
Thanks
ckleps is offline  
Old 01-11-05, 08:28 PM
  #2  
mindbogger
Senior Member
 
mindbogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckleps
I'm a road biker who is thinking about getting into mountan biking to mix things up from time to time. I don't have much for a mtb since most of my cash went into a new road bike. I'm looking to buy used and a friend at work offered to sell me a 10 year old Bianchi Ibex. Since its so old I can't find any specs at the bianchi page. Does anyone know anything about this bike? What components it has? He claims he hasn't ridden it much but doesn't have an odometer so he can't give me an exact number. Its a cro-moly frame. Anyone have any insight into how much life this frame would have left in it? I don't have a mojor problem switching out components but I need a sturdy lasting frame. Any range of price I should consider paying him for it? I really appreciate any help that people might have with this.
Thanks
I recommend you save your cash. Its been 10 years, who knows what it has been through. If I was in your situation, save your cash and look into the thread that tells you about bikes under 500.
mindbogger is offline  
Old 01-11-05, 11:47 PM
  #3  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mindbogger
I recommend you save your cash. Its been 10 years, who knows what it has been through. If I was in your situation, save your cash and look into the thread that tells you about bikes under 500.
It's not just how much the bike has been through. (could have been locked in a garage for 9.5 years) The fact that so much has changed techwise that upgrading it would be more money than what it's worth. Personally I like Cro-moly hardtails, but I use mine for commuting as the geometry of the thing won't allow me to swap in a new suspension fork without radically screwing up the handling of the bike. Even an 80mm which is fairly common is way too much. Mine came with a whopping 45mm of travel.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 07:56 AM
  #4  
ckleps
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 516

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce 2005 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll look at that under 500 thread.
ckleps is offline  
Old 01-12-05, 08:35 AM
  #5  
Juniper
Digs technical steeps
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckleps
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll look at that under 500 thread.
I don't want to swing a sale away from your friend but, as others pointed out, you probably have better options as an experienced rider. Nice, older cro-mo bikes are fun from a vintage perspective and some cruising/commuting but if you really want to get into some off-road/off-bike path trail riding (which I suspect you will ; ) I'd take a look at one of the many good new hardtails you can get for $500 to $1,000. You can get into full suspension when you start getting above ~ $1,500 (unless you can get a very good deal on a prior year close-out; my friend bought a new 2003 Trek Liquid 10 full susp for $1,000 which was a pretty good deal). Personally, I generally stay away from used bikes unless they're only a couple of years old and immaculately maintained but that's me.

The key is what type of riding you plan to do. If you can narrow that down, the riders here can give you a lot of great recommendations for the price you want to pay.

Good luck from an old roadie!
Juniper is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.