Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Newbie, probably made a mistake but... Trek Y26

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Newbie, probably made a mistake but... Trek Y26

Old 01-15-05, 01:57 AM
  #26  
cryogenic
Campy or bust :p
 
cryogenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,139

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey commuter build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.0" tires for XC are small? I thought most XC bikes came with tires about that size. Besides, there's nothing wrong with XC tires that are a bit narrow. I can ride 2.0's just fine.
cryogenic is offline  
Old 01-15-05, 02:15 AM
  #27  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've got 2.0's on the tandem right now. Plenty of rubber.
Brian is offline  
Old 01-15-05, 02:19 AM
  #28  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny thing is the way he said it. As if tires can't be changed.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 01-15-05, 02:56 AM
  #29  
Brian
Senior Member
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Posts: 16,681

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
The funny thing is the way he said it. As if tires can't be changed.
Is that some new technology I don't know about? I suppose next you'll tell me they even make tires that don't require tubes.
Brian is offline  
Old 01-15-05, 09:14 AM
  #30  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually, they are small. I think they're 1.95' and the tread is really crappy. Bontrager connection trail. I don't like those tires.
Jason222 is offline  
Old 01-16-05, 12:04 AM
  #31  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
actually, they are small. I think they're 1.95' and the tread is really crappy. Bontrager connection trail. I don't like those tires.
This guy's too much!

So you don't like the tires


NEWS FLASH TIRES CAN BE CHANGED

In the grand scheme of this 26x1.95 is NOT a small tire, smaller than some but not small.
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 01-20-05 at 04:04 PM.
Raiyn is offline  
Old 01-20-05, 09:19 AM
  #32  
adelii
TrekDualSuspension Freak!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 207

Bikes: 2005 Trek Y26 stock w/ rs ario w/ lockout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jason222. Wow! now that a way to get me pumped up! Hey man listen i am getting this bike and am going to ride it proudly because i paid so much for it. Maybe i will love mountain biking. Then i will start thinking of the big nice bikes.


Plus i think stapfam said it perfectly, which i thought was true too, most people start with the walmart bike because they know no better. I mean cmon, i knew nothing of 400 dollar bikes. Now i do. I still am waiting for the bike though. It should be coming in on the 25th. I am so freakin anxious!!! Ill let you guys know what i think. I have not gone in to any bike shop to try any other bikes because im scared that i will like them more. I think ignorance is bliss. Especially because you guys hate the y26 so much. I figure if i compare the y26 to the walmart bikes ill be happy.
adelii is offline  
Old 02-04-05, 04:01 PM
  #33  
adelii
TrekDualSuspension Freak!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 207

Bikes: 2005 Trek Y26 stock w/ rs ario w/ lockout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
si i finally got my bike!!!!! It took forever but i finally got it... Im sorry guys, i have to disagree with a lot of you guys. The bike is really good. I cant believe its been bashed so much. I mean i sat on a fuel 90 while i was there and its a way superior bike but 1,000 bucks plus? Its a matter of am i gonna be a proffesional or not? I am a beginner and for 369 bucks i feel good about the buy. at least i didnt go with shwinn or mongoose from walmart.
adelii is offline  
Old 02-04-05, 06:02 PM
  #34  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the bike!! Got the helmet?
Being new to riding you might stack a few times. (crash).

"I mean i sat on a fuel 90 while i was there and its a way superior bike but 1,000 bucks plus? Its a matter of am i gonna be a proffesional or not? I am a beginner and for 369 bucks i feel good about the buy."

Yep, good entry price, see how you take to the sport (yes. SPORT) of cycling.
Then start saving up for the grand bike.
Other side is a poorly designed\ riding bike will probably not get used, 'cept as a squeeky commuter.

The postings were less directed @ the bike specific, as the type. Full suspension bikes are complicated, and expensive.
Good ones /\ $1000.
For the money, a front suspension bike of equal $ compared to a economy full suspension will be a better constructed, equipted bike.

It's not the looks, the plush, but will it perform, continue to perform, and not bust repeatedly with general abuse that mtn bikes are designed for.

With hardtails, they are less likely to have design problems.

Post some pics of Puerto Rico and you on the new ride!
I've never been, stuck up in Canada.

Ride on.
jeff williams is offline  
Old 02-04-05, 06:04 PM
  #35  
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adelii

So if i did want to make the bike more high performance than it is, is it possible?

What do i need to look at? Can i change the front fork? How about the rear suspension? I figure i bought the bike how would i hook it up? I always change parts on any machine that i get.

Thanks let me know.

adel
Possible? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely not. You can't change the suspension design, which is the big problem of the bike in an of itself. The efficiency of the Trek Y series has always been similar to that of a pogo-stick unfortunately. I'd ride the bike, and if you like the sport, get something nicer down the line... its pretty much guaranteed you save money by buying a new bike vs. big upgrades to your old one. The bike is fine for an entry level rider, so just have fun with it for now.
seely is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 11:29 AM
  #36  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, have fun with your Y26. Raiyn, I said this because he's getting his first bike, I doubt he's actually going to change the tires. I'm getting the Bruiser 2 because it comes with pretty beefy tires already, no need to GO BUY new ones(bontrager earl 2.35's). Whatever. I don't care. I'd never get a full suspension for less than $1500, but that's just me. I had the y26, and I really really really didn't like it.

Last edited by Jason222; 02-05-05 at 07:06 PM.
Jason222 is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 11:57 AM
  #37  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
I'm getting the Bruiser 2 because it comes with pretty beefy tires already, no need to GO BUY new ones.
I hope you are buying the bike for the frame and components.
More important is the hub, rim and spoke quality, than if the tires are beefy.

I could stick 2.5 tires on a crap wheel...still be crap, just a bigger pile.
jeff williams is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 02:19 PM
  #38  
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 15,061

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
Ok, have fun with ur Y26. Raiyn, I said this because he's getting his first bike, I doubt he's actually going to change the tires. I'm getting the Bruiser 2 because it comes with pretty beefy tires already, no need to GO BUY new ones(bontrager earl 2.35's). Whatever. I don't care. I'd never get a full suspension for less than 1500, but that's just me. I had the y26, and I really really really didn't like it.
Look kid I could CARE what you're getting. The fact that you were too ignorant to understand that tires could be changed is pretty sad. The fact that you use AOL'ese (which is against the rules here) to make your pithy little comment is REALLY sad.
Now here's a suggestion: Take your little Tonka truck and go home until you have something to say that actually makes sense.
__________________
Raiyn is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 06:55 PM
  #39  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use AOL'ese?
Jason222 is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 07:36 PM
  #40  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you are buying the bike for the frame and components.
More important is the hub, rim and spoke quality, than if the tires are beefy.

I could stick 2.5 tires on a crap wheel...still be crap, just a bigger pile.
Of course I'm buying the bike for the frame and components, AND the Bruiser 2 has Alloy disc hubs and alloy HD rims.

The fact that you were too ignorant to understand that tires could be changed is pretty sad.
I think I remember saying :
I said this because he's getting his first bike, I doubt he's actually going to change the tires.
Odds are a newbie mtber WONT change the tires, that's why. I'm not used to to 2.0 tires They're small to me
Jason222 is offline  
Old 02-05-05, 09:36 PM
  #41  
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Posts: 3,339

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
Of course I'm buying the bike for the frame and components, AND the Bruiser 2 has Alloy disc hubs and alloy HD rims.


I think I remember saying :

Odds are a newbie mtber WONT change the tires, that's why. I'm not used to to 2.0 tires They're small to me
I'm a newbie...changed tires myself after having my bike for 2ish months.
PWRDbyTRD is offline  
Old 02-06-05, 12:43 AM
  #42  
Gerst240
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
I also got the Y26. The bike sucks arse. Its horrible. The rear shock barely even moves. It's a horrible riding bike, I hate it. Tires are small, bad suspension, HEAVY frame, Crap components, and bad handling. Seriously, take it back and get a hardtail. All new MTBers want a full suspension bike because they look so great. I already took mine back and plan to get the Bruiser 2.

I really thought Raiyn was goin hard on you at first untill i read this post. To be honest with you he went too light, you my friend are an idiot. The bike may not be the best in design but the bike is a good entry level full suspension bike.




adelii welcome to the sport of mountain biking you will become an addict if you already arent one.
Gerst240 is offline  
Old 02-06-05, 12:58 AM
  #43  
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.
 
PWRDbyTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN baby!
Posts: 3,339

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now run 26x1.95 on my Hoss
PWRDbyTRD is offline  
Old 02-06-05, 09:54 AM
  #44  
adelii
TrekDualSuspension Freak!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 207

Bikes: 2005 Trek Y26 stock w/ rs ario w/ lockout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! All i have to say is that i love this sport and i definatly need to get out more. I need to get in shape because an hour of ridding and i am dieing!!! With the trails that are here i just hope that i dont get a flat soon cause i have not practiced changing a tire. the trails here are pretty rough sometimes. I saw a lot of people on huffy mountain bikes so i feel good rolling up in my y26. Of course there were a few with expensive bikes but nothing to amazing.

I was looking at the bruiser series on the web. Whats the ststus on these bikes? Are they any good? Whats the pluses and negatives on these bikes. My dad wants to get one. let me know. Thanks.
adelii is offline  
Old 02-06-05, 02:41 PM
  #45  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody 'practices' fixing flats...they happen, you fix.

Don't worry about it.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml Nice site for info on wrenching.
jeff williams is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 02:41 PM
  #46  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you my friend are an idiot.
Careful what you say, you can get banned.

and...

The bruisers are freeride bikes. Depending on what your dad does, a Bruiser might not be the best Idea. Like I said, depends what he's into. Bruisers have smaller frames ( for a reason, Djing and Freeriding), so it might be harder to ride. Have fun with your Y26 . I guess the bike wouldn't be so bad if u got disc brakes for it. Have a good one.
Jason222 is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 02:51 PM
  #47  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Jason, nicer post.
Ya..it's kinda hard not to let 'what I like' become 'your bike is ****.'
Different strokes for different folks.

You'll get used to it.
Peace>jef.

FYI, I have the best mtb on the planet. .
jeff williams is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 02:57 PM
  #48  
Jason222
Banned.
 
Jason222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,123

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha, what Mtb u got? lol
Jason222 is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 02:58 PM
  #49  
a2psyklnut
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Parrish, FL
Posts: 7,963

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a note: Mods are watching!


Play Nice!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
a2psyklnut is offline  
Old 02-07-05, 03:08 PM
  #50  
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 4,397

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
haha, what Mtb u got? lol
My bike was designed and welded by Tom Ritchey.

Just some old guy who made nice frames.

Last edited by jeff williams; 02-07-05 at 03:19 PM.
jeff williams is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.