Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/)
-   -   carbon forks (https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-biking/894362-carbon-forks.html)

jmart2 06-07-13 03:47 PM

carbon forks
 
this may have come up in a previous thread. i could not find one.
how strong or safe are the carbon steerer tubes that come with most tapered rigid carbon forks

rebel1916 06-07-13 04:41 PM

They will undoubtedly asplode. Especially, if they get wet or are subjected to sunlight.

Grimlock 06-07-13 06:46 PM


Originally Posted by rebel1916 (Post 15717799)
They will undoubtedly asplode. Especially, if they get wet or are subjected to sunlight.

Jokes aside, they're totally fine for everything but snorkelling.

AnthonyMcEwen 06-09-13 04:31 PM

Hmm I don't care what the science says about carbon, I think it has its place, such as F1 cars and Road bikes, but you won't get me on anything (without considerable effort or or in instances beyond my controlled) that's gonna be going downhill and or over bumpy terrain.

Yes carbon is strong and a wonderful use full bloody expensive material...but its also brittle and chips easy, its strong but not always in the right way, if u hit a ALU from it will bend, if you hit or scrape scar on it will snap and scratch and splinter into thousands of tiny spears...

I speack from experience of watching carbon explode...I use to do archery and I many a time saw carbon arrows split / crack , even when pulling arrows out of targets you had to use a special tool to avoid splinters...and caron splinters are nasty / Pain full / give you carbon poisoning.

IMO carbon is for speed machines not things that need to take knocks and hits, and also for its price the speed gains you may may not get from it are not worth the added cost to most people ( exception being Olympic athletes on roads bikes, why would you want it on a MTB )

This is all just my opinion and may or may not be completely correct regarding the strength of carbon, but its how I feel about it and each to there own so if you don't agree with me don't start an argue meant, however I am always happy to read other peoples opinions etc and counter arguments to what I have said even if I don't agree.

Wooden Tiger 06-09-13 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen (Post 15723494)
Hmm I don't care what the science says about carbon, I think it has its place, such as F1 cars and Road bikes, but you won't get me on anything (without considerable effort or or in instances beyond my controlled) that's gonna be going downhill and or over bumpy terrain.

Yes carbon is strong and a wonderful use full bloody expensive material...but its also brittle and chips easy, its strong but not always in the right way, if u hit a ALU from it will bend, if you hit or scrape scar on it will snap and scratch and splinter into thousands of tiny spears...

I speack from experience of watching carbon explode...I use to do archery and I many a time saw carbon arrows split / crack , even when pulling arrows out of targets you had to use a special tool to avoid splinters...and caron splinters are nasty / Pain full / give you carbon poisoning.

IMO carbon is for speed machines not things that need to take knocks and hits, and also for its price the speed gains you may may not get from it are not worth the added cost to most people ( exception being Olympic athletes on roads bikes, why would you want it on a MTB )

This is all just my opinion and may or may not be completely correct regarding the strength of carbon, but its how I feel about it and each to there own so if you don't agree with me don't start an argue meant, however I am always happy to read other peoples opinions etc and counter arguments to what I have said even if I don't agree.

I'm far from an expert on carbon but there's no way in god's green hell I'd ever get on a carbon MTB. I don't care how theoretically good it is, there's not a business case out there that could sway my mind. I just have visions of the stuff cracking with no warning and me tumbling straight to the ground.

FWIW, I have a carbon road bike and while it's light, rides great, and all that good stuff, I wish I'd gotten an aluminum or steel bike. The more I think about, "Okay, my frame is made of 'paper' and glue," the less I wanna be on it.

AnthonyMcEwen 06-09-13 05:06 PM

Lol paper and glue, I never thought of it that way, all though I have a little more faith in it than that, its essentially the same stuff diamonds are made from (hardest natural thing on earth)...although I guess not really the same at all, but you could have fooled me wotht he price they charge for carbon, you'd be better value for money to get a bike made from diamonds.....I kid I kid.

Zephyr11 06-09-13 05:38 PM

Don't trust carbon mountain bikes, huh?

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/2...jpg?1331659243

I'd ride it.

Wooden Tiger 06-09-13 05:42 PM


Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen (Post 15723564)
Lol paper and glue, I never thought of it that way, all though I have a little more faith in it than that, its essentially the same stuff diamonds are made from (hardest natural thing on earth)...although I guess not really the same at all, but you could have fooled me wotht he price they charge for carbon, you'd be better value for money to get a bike made from diamonds.....I kid I kid.

I have no doubts carbon is a very strong material, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm riding a bike made of threads. Yes, it's hard, yes, it's tough, but it also depends on where it is strong. For instance, it's widespread knowledge you don't hang a carbon frame by its top tube from a bike-stand. Why not? If it's so strong, why couldn't you, or why wouldn't you? Maybe it's not all that strong if stress is applied in that particular direction? I couldn't answer that question, but all I know is that you don't wanna do it.

Imagine riding down a hill on a mountain bike and bottoming out over a rock. What happens to that bottom tube when it's hit? While all frames are hollow, whether it be aluminum, steel, or carbon, does the carbon crack open like a cheap, hollow, chocolate Easter Bunny and send you crashing to the ground? While steel and aluminum may bend, they're not going to just crumble or fracture from an impact, they're going to dent or bend.

Wooden Tiger 06-09-13 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by Zephyr11 (Post 15723645)

Have fun. I'll PM you my info so you can be sure to list me as the recipient of your life insurance. :thumb:

Zephyr11 06-09-13 05:46 PM


Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15723668)
Have fun. I'll PM you my info so you can be sure to list me as the recipient of your life insurance. :thumb:

If I died riding that bike, 99.999% chance it would be from me screwing up, not the bike failing.

Wooden Tiger 06-09-13 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by Zephyr11 (Post 15723676)
If I died riding that bike, 99.999% chance it would be from me screwing up, not the bike failing.

Well, bikes should be made to tolerate screw-ups. Carbon doesn't strike me as a material to tolerate screw-ups.

FWIW, a guy in our bike club just got hit by a car the other night and he was on a carbon bike. He posted photos of the bike and the carbon fork was cracked in half. Yes, cracked in half. I'm guessing if the fork was either aluminum or steel, it may have survived.

Anyway, he may be a member here, I'm not sure, but luckily he escaped with minor injuries. Lucky guy...

jmart2 06-09-13 06:22 PM

maybe i will stay away from carbon forks with a carbon steerer tube
thanks for your input

Grimlock 06-09-13 07:37 PM

Ugh. This thread is full of a lot of speculation by people who have never spent time on carbon mountain bikes and people who don't have materials engineering experience. If carbon trail bikes exploded all the time, they wouldn't be on sale.

cryptid01 06-09-13 07:48 PM


Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen (Post 15723494)
Hmm I don't care what the science says about carbon

I stopped reading right there

dminor 06-10-13 12:51 AM


Originally Posted by AnthonyMcEwen (Post 15723494)
. . . I think it has its place, such as F1 cars . . . but you won't get me on anything (without considerable effort or or in instances beyond my controlled) that's gonna be going downhill and or over bumpy terrain.

So let me see if I follow your 'logic': you'll trust carbon fiber suspension components at over 200 mph on the potholed streets of Monaco - - but you won't at 25 mph over bumps on a bicycle? Whatever.



Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15723663)
I have no doubts carbon is a very strong material, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm riding a bike made of threads.

You would not have made a very good pole vaulter.



Raced at the '06 UCI Masters Worlds with this modest, laid-back dude named Alex Morgan who I'd say was just a bit ahead of his time - - racing DH on a carbon fiber . . . 29er . . . frame that he built himself at his shop in West Texas. Made me a believer in the toughness of CF.


http://lp1.pinkbike.org/p4pb1374735/p4pb1374735.jpg

Wooden Tiger 06-10-13 05:10 AM


Originally Posted by jmart2 (Post 15723774)
maybe i will stay away from carbon forks with a carbon steerer tube
thanks for your input

No problem. I'm actually thinking about selling the bike and getting an aluminum-framed model.


Originally Posted by dminor (Post 15724705)
You would not have made a very good pole vaulter.

Probably not. At over 200 lbs and the refusal to wrap myself in a spandex fuselage and footies, you're right.

I'll trust carbon after somebody gives me a frame made of the stuff and allows me to hit it with a hammer and drop it from a tree a few times. Until that happens, I'm going to have my reservations.

Zephyr11 06-10-13 05:34 AM


Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15724913)
Probably not. At over 200 lbs and the refusal to wrap myself in a spandex fuselage and footies, you're right.

Footies? What sport are you thinking of, gymnastics? Last I checked, pole vaulters wore spikes (and usually a regular non-spandex singlet for guys). Anyway, Trey Hardee and Ashton Eaton, two top decathletes who obviously have to pole vault, are 210 and 185 respectively, so you're right in the ballpark.


Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger (Post 15724913)
I'll trust carbon after somebody gives me a frame made of the stuff and allows me to hit it with a hammer and drop it from a tree a few times. Until that happens, I'm going to have my reservations.

Here's your test: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-c...-test-lab.html
But whatever. You can ride what you want, and I'll ride what I want. Doesn't bother me. Just don't scare posters off of carbon unnecessarily.

Wooden Tiger 06-10-13 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by Zephyr11 (Post 15724942)
Footies? What sport are you thinking of, gymnastics? Last I checked, pole vaulters wore spikes (and usually a regular non-spandex singlet for guys). Anyway, Trey Hardee and Ashton Eaton, two top decathletes who obviously have to pole vault, are 210 and 185 respectively, so you're right in the ballpark.


Here's your test: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-c...-test-lab.html
But whatever. You can ride what you want, and I'll ride what I want. Doesn't bother me. Just don't scare posters off of carbon unnecessarily.

I'm not the expert on carbon and I mentioned that in my first post. I made a statement based on personal experiences and my opinions on it, so it would be very much appreciated if you refrain from sticking words in my mouth. I didn't scare anyone off, he's old enough and wise enough to make his own decisions. Quit trying to start arguments out of statements that were never made, it's disruptive to the harmony of the forum.

Grimlock 06-10-13 08:57 AM

The problem, Tiger, that I and a few others have is that you state that you aren't an expert on carbon and then go on to state opinions on carbon that wouldn't have been out of place in the '80s but aren't remotely valid today. Carbon is very tough; much more than you think. I wouldn't want to ride an aluminum frame anyone has taken a hammer to and then dropped from a tree either.

no1mad 06-10-13 10:12 AM


Originally Posted by jmart2 (Post 15723774)
maybe i will stay away from carbon forks with a carbon steerer tube
thanks for your input

And on this note...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.