Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-15, 10:57 PM   #1
Tyson Lee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I need some advice

Hello.

As I said, I'm new to this forum and I have some questions.. I have a "mountain bike" (Wal Mart bike) and I want to change the tires but I don't know which tire to get. I like this one (https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...untry-mud-tire) but it says "muddy conditions", I just ride around the city so its not right for me? I've heard Bell tires aren't good so I want to stay away from those.. If you can link me to good/matching tire for me, will you please do so.. Thanks
Tyson Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 11:20 PM   #2
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I general, you want a tire that is nearly smooth on top, sometimes called a city tire, if you want a tire that rolls smoothly and doesn't have the thrumming of a knobby tire. Something like this, https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...n-26-inch-tire

Why not give them a call? The folks at biketiresdirect are friendly and happy to answer questions on the phone.
cale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 11:55 PM   #3
Tyson Lee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale View Post
I general, you want a tire that is nearly smooth on top, sometimes called a city tire, if you want a tire that rolls smoothly and doesn't have the thrumming of a knobby tire. Something like this, https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...n-26-inch-tire

Why not give them a call? The folks at biketiresdirect are friendly and happy to answer questions on the phone.
Thank you cale! I didn't know such tires exists! I was thinking about getting slicks but I thought to myself: "slicks on a mountain bike.. ridiculous..". I am a noob on bikes so bare with my questions and thoughts.. How is braking with the tires I posted versus the tire you posted? Wouldn't the tires you posted have a faster rate of wear?
Tyson Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 12:01 AM   #4
cale
Senior Member
 
cale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!
Posts: 3,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Lee View Post
Thank you cale! I didn't know such tires exists! I was thinking about getting slicks but I thought to myself: "slicks on a mountain bike.. ridiculous..". I am a noob on bikes so bare with my questions and thoughts.. How is braking with the tires I posted versus the tire you posted? Wouldn't the tires you posted have a faster rate of wear?
You will get great wear from such tires as I recommended but there are no guarantees. Braking performance on pavement, wet and dry, should be better than any knobby tire. Good luck.
cale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 12:07 AM   #5
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: everywhere
Posts: 29,500
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Make sure you have 26" tires, though. Walmart sells a good number of 29" mtbs these days.

Rate of wear depends on tire durometer, thickness of tread and surface area of tread in contact patch. Knobbies can wear more quickly than slicks of same hardness since the knobs squirm against the pavement as the tires deform against the road.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 02-02-15 at 12:13 AM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 12:21 AM   #6
Tyson Lee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale View Post
You will get great wear from such tires as I recommended but there are no guarantees. Braking performance on pavement, wet and dry, should be better than any knobby tire. Good luck.
Thank you cale for your advice and help!
Tyson Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 12:23 AM   #7
Tyson Lee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Make sure you have 26" tires, though. Walmart sells a good number of 29" mtbs these days.

Rate of wear depends on tire durometer, thickness of tread and surface area of tread in contact patch. Knobbies can wear more quickly than slicks of same hardness since the knobs squirm against the pavement as the tires deform against the road.
Yeah I'm sure my bike is a 26", I think lol.
Tyson Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 12:27 AM   #8
Tyson Lee
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would estimate that I ride about 100 to 200 +/- miles a year. I just ride for fun and to get fresh air. I probably shouldn't worry about tire wear at my riding rate haha..
Tyson Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION