Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

New Yorkers: If moving north of NYC where would you relocate for the best roadriding?

Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

New Yorkers: If moving north of NYC where would you relocate for the best roadriding?

Old 05-01-15, 09:58 AM
  #1  
MoonJW
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 49

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Yorkers: If moving north of NYC where would you relocate for the best roadriding?

Snap judgement / simulation:

YOU: currently a New York City dweller, part of a dual-income-no-kids household, fleeing the five boroughs to greener pastures upstate. You both hold jobs in the city that you plan to keep.

The requirements:

1) Must have easy access to good road riding. Hills or no hills, doesn't matter. Insert your own personal definition of "good road riding" here.

2) Must be north of the city, but within a 1 hour absolute-maximum commute by a reasonable form of mass transit. (We drive, but we do not want to commute in our cars.) And north because our families are up there.

3) Slight preference for east side of the Hudson River, but not a requirement.

So, where would you move?

Any responses? Ready, set, go!
MoonJW is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 02:07 PM
  #2  
cks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hard to tell without knowing what your budget is for relocating, but it seems like you want to be either in Westchester or Fairfield Counties. You may want to check out the local clubs' mass rides and get a grand tour of the two places. For Fairfield county, the ride's at the end of the month:

Bloominmetric.com

For Westchester, the ride's in the fall:

Westchester Cycle Club/My WCC: Welcome to the Westchester Cycle Club

Northern NJ/Rockland County, as you may know, also has great routes. For that, you can either ride across the GWB anytime and up 9W or you can join NYCC's Escape NY, also in the fall:

http://nycc.org/
cks is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 02:14 PM
  #3  
GlennR
Formerly oldnslow2
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 5,474

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 71 Posts
My son lives in Riverdale which is in the Bronx. There are many single family homes and apartment buildings. It has easy access to Manhattan via the #1 subway and buses.

He's a short 1/2 mile walk/run/rid to the Henry Hudson bridge which leads to Manhattan's north tip. From there you can take the greenway to the GW Bridge and up Route 9 to Bear Mountain... a very popular bike route. There are also many road and off-road route through the Bronx and to Westchester. Terrain is hills and very interesting.

He's done rides north to the Bear Mnt. Bridge, over to the west side of the Hudson and down Rt9 to the GW and back home.
GlennR is offline  
Old 05-01-15, 02:16 PM
  #4  
bikemig 
Senior Member
 
bikemig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Middle Earth (aka IA)
Posts: 15,335

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3701 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 107 Posts
Peekskill puts you a skip, hop, and a jump from Harriman which has fine roads for riding on most of the year and great hiking in the winter.
bikemig is online now  
Old 05-01-15, 06:56 PM
  #5  
cafzali
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 1,289

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly, a lot of it will depend on your housing budget. There's a substantial difference in the carrying costs of a house in the various places people have mentioned. You mentioned a slight preference for east of Hudson, but that will also bring you the highest property taxes. Depending on where you settle, you can easily have a $30K annual property tax bill in Westchester or Fairfield counties. Rockland is cheaper, but you also have to balance the commute issues because some areas have train access, some don't.
cafzali is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 03:49 AM
  #6  
Jarrettsin
Senior Member
 
Jarrettsin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 447

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riverdale and Westchester good access to Manhattan for work if you stay near the Hudson or Harlem lines of the metro north and good access to riding you can get to everywhere from Central Park to Bear Mountain or Storm King. The South and North Trailways Paths, Bike Sundays on the Bronx River. And all the hills you could want to ride.
Jarrettsin is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 06:08 AM
  #7  
fastk9dad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 135

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To stay within an hour commute (by train) of the city, east of the Hudson I'd say Westchester or lower Farifield counties. There are some great cycling groups up here, WCC, as already mentioned and also Ridgefield Bicycle company over the border in CT. We have all types of riding around here. There is very little that will be dead flat but you can usually avoid the bigger climbs (if so inclined, I'm not. ). Plus there are the bike trails and MTB spots as well. Basically a little bit of everything, your Crosscheck will feel right at home.
fastk9dad is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 08:22 AM
  #8  
MoonJW
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 49

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Riverdale's a very good option. I've often thought about that area. By the water, it's probably the most bucolic of neighborhood within the city limits.

If I were painting and ideal picture, the only drawback is that, yes, while it's convenient to the city, it's not such great riding "out the door" of the home. It's standard-issue five-borough traffic. That said, it is a really nice area.

I'm thinking of checking out Pelham Manor. I'm familiar with areas adjacent to the river from riding, but I've done relatively less riding on the sound side of Westchester.


Originally Posted by Jarrettsin View Post
Riverdale and Westchester good access to Manhattan for work if you stay near the Hudson or Harlem lines of the metro north and good access to riding you can get to everywhere from Central Park to Bear Mountain or Storm King. The South and North Trailways Paths, Bike Sundays on the Bronx River. And all the hills you could want to ride.
MoonJW is offline  
Old 05-02-15, 09:13 AM
  #9  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,316

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MoonJW View Post
Snap judgement / simulation:

YOU: currently a New York City dweller, part of a dual-income-no-kids household, fleeing the five boroughs to greener pastures upstate. You both hold jobs in the city that you plan to keep.

The requirements:

1) Must have easy access to good road riding. Hills or no hills, doesn't matter. Insert your own personal definition of "good road riding" here.

2) Must be north of the city, but within a 1 hour absolute-maximum commute by a reasonable form of mass transit. (We drive, but we do not want to commute in our cars.) And north because our families are up there.

3) Slight preference for east side of the Hudson River, but not a requirement.

So, where would you move?

Any responses? Ready, set, go!
East of Hudson and 1Hr from NYC puts you on a line of White Plains to Greenwich. All very expensive to buy and pay taxes. Anything south has congested roads for cycling, one of the reasons the Westchester roadie ride leaves from White Plans and goes north.

So no great suggestions as that one hr. rule puts you into congested regions. That's true on Long Island as well. To get to quite roads you're going to be 1-1/2 hrs by train away from Penn Station.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 07:04 AM
  #10  
dendawg
Senior Member
 
dendawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rockland county NY and Bergen County NJ offer access to great riding, but the only mass transit option on the west side of the river is pretty much buses which get you into the same traffic mess as driving. On the east side of the river the riding can be just as good and you have the Metro North options. I might look into the area from Tarrytown north to Ossining in Westchester.
dendawg is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 07:33 AM
  #11  
greg3rd48 
Senior Member
 
greg3rd48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bronx, NYC
Posts: 1,750

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '74 Peugeot U08, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MoonJW View Post
Thanks. Riverdale's a very good option. I've often thought about that area. By the water, it's probably the most bucolic of neighborhood within the city limits.

If I were painting and ideal picture, the only drawback is that, yes, while it's convenient to the city, it's not such great riding "out the door" of the home. It's standard-issue five-borough traffic. That said, it is a really nice area.

I'm thinking of checking out Pelham Manor. I'm familiar with areas adjacent to the river from riding, but I've done relatively less riding on the sound side of Westchester.
Check out Woodlawn in the Bronx also. I love this neighborhood. It is green, safe, inexpensive and Manhattan is only a short distance away. It is right next to the MetroNorth, the greenways, Van Cortlandt Park, the subways and the towns of lower Westchester. Also Yonkers is great for hill riding and a jumping point for weekend cyclists heading north. That is this Bronxite's two cents FWIW.
greg3rd48 is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 08:46 AM
  #12  
D1andonlyDman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Northern San Diego
Posts: 1,857

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up in Rockland (area between Monsey and Suffern) and I used to ride around Bear Mtn and Harriman all the time, as well as down through northern NJ Bergen county. But that was 35-45 years ago, and my home town has become a Hassadic ghetto since then. But those areas I mentioned are still good riding, I've heard.

Lots of choices for the commute, depending upon where in Manhattan you go. Usually either the Palisades to the GW Bridge, or NY State Thruway to the Tappan Zee Bridge to Bronx River Pkwy, or Conrail to the PATH trains.

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 05-03-15 at 08:50 AM.
D1andonlyDman is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 04:17 PM
  #13  
aixaix 
car guy, recovering
 
aixaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mount Vernon, NY
Posts: 1,245

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riverdale & Woodlawn have easy access to the Old Croton Aqueduct trail and the south county trail. Both trails get you out of the urbs in a hurry and allow you to enjoy the many pleasant roads around northern Westchester. Likewise Yonkers and Mount Vernon. If you have the dough, check out the river towns further north (Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, e.g.). All are on the Hudson line which is a beautiful train ride, and all allow you to jump on the Aqueduct trail for points north, as well as having some lovely local roads.
__________________
Michael Shiffer
EuroMeccanicany.com
aixaix is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 06:44 PM
  #14  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,316

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Soma Smoothie, Miyata City Liner, Specialized FSR Comp, Fuji Professional

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by aixaix View Post
Riverdale & Woodlawn have easy access to the Old Croton Aqueduct trail and the south county trail. Both trails get you out of the urbs in a hurry and allow you to enjoy the many pleasant roads around northern Westchester. Likewise Yonkers and Mount Vernon. If you have the dough, check out the river towns further north (Hastings-on-Hudson, Dobbs Ferry, Tarrytown, e.g.). All are on the Hudson line which is a beautiful train ride, and all allow you to jump on the Aqueduct trail for points north, as well as having some lovely local roads.
Noting that the Old Croton Aqueduct trail isn't really suitable to 23mm road bike tires, if that's the OP's main ride. Better choice is the South and North County trails.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 05-03-15, 08:19 PM
  #15  
aixaix 
car guy, recovering
 
aixaix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mount Vernon, NY
Posts: 1,245

Bikes: Olympia Competizione & Special Piuma, Frejus track circa 1958, Dahon Helios, many others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
Noting that the Old Croton Aqueduct trail isn't really suitable to 23mm road bike tires, if that's the OP's main ride. Better choice is the South and North County trails.
If the OP is riding a Surly Cross Check as listed in his signature, this is not an issue. Fwiw, I have ridden much of the OCA on tubulars and though I wouldn't recommend it, it can be done. The trail is mostly hardpack. As long as it is dry, it isn't too bad. Add water, and the mud makes it tougher.
__________________
Michael Shiffer
EuroMeccanicany.com
aixaix is offline  
Old 05-05-15, 08:05 AM
  #16  
MoonJW
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 49

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aixaix View Post
If the OP is riding a Surly Cross Check as listed in his signature, this is not an issue. Fwiw, I have ridden much of the OCA on tubulars and though I wouldn't recommend it, it can be done. The trail is mostly hardpack. As long as it is dry, it isn't too bad. Add water, and the mud makes it tougher.
We're lucky that we have the N/S-County Trailways and the OCA to get us to points north. The Crosscheck with 30mm tires is fine.

Speaking of Riverdale, anyone ever ride their mountain bikes in the woods south of Wave Hill?
MoonJW is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
urban.one
Western Canada
1
12-16-10 12:56 PM
jimmat
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
0
09-02-05 09:32 AM
geneman
General Cycling Discussion
1
10-31-04 02:46 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.