Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Myles Standish State Forest, Carver MA

Old 05-17-22, 11:40 AM
  #101  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,422

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,525 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
In the 1970's we used to ride dirt bikes, most of the time at least 25 mph there. We would run out of daylight before running out of trails.
Saturday I found a visor from a dirt bike helmet. someone stuck it on a small tree. looked new except that it was not w/ the helmet anymore. but it was also autographed. I took a video clip & was gonna share the photo in case it was anyone famous, but likely wasn't & I deleted it while editing. the only thing I could read legibly was "Hang Loose!"
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 05-18-22, 04:03 PM
  #102  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,422

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,525 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
from P7
starting from P7 is an intriguging choice. doesn't appear to be convenient to an entrance road. I've used the West entrance & P1, or the East entrance & P4 or P2. P2 used to be my most used but P1 has caught up in my usage. how was it finding P7 & using it as a starting point?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 08:03 AM
  #103  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 947

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
starting from P7 is an intriguging choice. doesn't appear to be convenient to an entrance road. I've used the West entrance & P1, or the East entrance & P4 or P2. P2 used to be my most used but P1 has caught up in my usage. how was it finding P7 & using it as a starting point?
Sharp eye! The reason I started from P7 was because I camped the night before at Curlew Pond (drove there first, they sent me to HQ for my pass, drove back...). In the morning, since I wasn't sure I'd be back before checkout, I decided to leave the car at the nearest lot. If you're coming in on Rt. 3, the difference between P7 and P4 is 3-4 minutes. The cool thing about P7, I learned, is there's a walking trail that leads down to the cranberry bogs and Rocky Pond. I had my lunch at the bogs - and saw 2 dirt bikers emerge from the woods on that same 'walking' trail.
autonomy is offline  
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-19-22, 08:12 AM
  #104  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,422

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,525 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy View Post
Sharp eye! The reason I started from P7 was because I camped the night before at Curlew Pond (drove there first, they sent me to HQ for my pass, drove back...). In the morning, since I wasn't sure I'd be back before checkout, I decided to leave the car at the nearest lot. If you're coming in on Rt. 3, the difference between P7 and P4 is 3-4 minutes. The cool thing about P7, I learned, is there's a walking trail that leads down to the cranberry bogs and Rocky Pond. I had my lunch at the bogs - and saw 2 dirt bikers emerge from the woods on that same 'walking' trail.
oh nice! how were the facilities? flush toilets? showers? clean(ish)?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 05-19-22, 09:54 AM
  #105  
autonomy
Senior Member
 
autonomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Boston Roads
Posts: 947

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
oh nice! how were the facilities? flush toilets? showers? clean(ish)?
I didn't use a flush toilet but bathroom seemed OK, maybe a 4/5. One of the faucets didn't work and the floor was totally wet. Shower was pretty good, individual 'rooms' with a small lobby. There was water and some dirt on the lobby floor, I suppose par for the course. Maybe could've used a mat. Dishwashing stations were clean, drinking fountains working fine to fill up my water.

Campsites themselves were so-so, some nicely shielded, some on top of each other. Super quiet overall though, except for the frogs and the 3am owls, but those are welcome. There are more campgrounds near the headquarters, Fearing Pond, I believe. I'm trying to get out there more, both backpacking and touring/bikepacking, and this was a trip to test some gear and also do some 2-wheel exploration.
autonomy is offline  
Likes For autonomy:
Old 05-20-22, 08:00 PM
  #106  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 18,090

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 152 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
Saturday I found a visor from a dirt bike helmet. someone stuck it on a small tree. looked new except that it was not w/ the helmet anymore. but it was also autographed. I took a video clip & was gonna share the photo in case it was anyone famous, but likely wasn't & I deleted it while editing. the only thing I could read legibly was "Hang Loose!"
You found my visor, thanks.
2manybikes is offline  
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 05-20-22, 09:14 PM
  #107  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,422

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,525 Posts
one could do a whole project just on the intersections. this double wishbone was amusing



rumrunn6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cole.callahan
Northeast
7
05-07-17 12:06 PM
historybuffoon
Mountain - Plains
5
03-01-17 10:40 PM
Lone
Southeast
3
01-26-15 10:05 PM
Debbi
Mountain - Plains
4
08-16-12 09:25 AM
pablosnazzy
Mountain Biking
1
06-18-11 08:47 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.