Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Metric Century 2009

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Covered Bridge Metric Century 2009

Old 08-18-09, 11:55 PM
  #226  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigRingRide View Post
...I had a follow-up visit to my orthopedic doctor Monday about my arm and he asked if I have been doing any exercises. I told him I tried some road biking Sunday instead of mountain biking and he mentioned he did a half century Sunday. I smirked and told him I did the same ride, but the full century with my two week old broken radius cup. He actually called me an idiot, which I took as a compliment...
Nice!

I had to tell my physical therapist about the ride today. I explained about having the best intentions to use restraint and do the 31 mile ride. However, when I got to the fork in the road, my enthusiasm / ego / testosterone / pea brain overrode those intentions and made me choose the long route. She said, "Didn't you hear your physical therapist's voice in your head telling you not to over do it?" I said that I did, but that the devil's voice on my other shoulder was louder.

Perhaps it's a good thing that we didn't meet up to ride together...




Oh yeah, the team car is ready:



__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 05:33 AM
  #227  
Neil_B
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
There wasn't a car involved with the accident, it seems:

https://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/241152
 
Old 08-19-09, 06:40 AM
  #228  
redcon1
Senior Member
 
redcon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 548

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
A group of friends and I from VWVortex.com did the ride also. On the last rest stop my buddy was admiring pgoat's beautiful Orbea with Brooks saddle. Small world! Here is a posed picture of our crew at one of the bridges:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CBMetric.jpg (79.9 KB, 47 views)
redcon1 is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 07:51 AM
  #229  
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
Thread Starter
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1 View Post
A group of friends and I from VWVortex.com did the ride also. On the last rest stop my buddy was admiring pgoat's beautiful Orbea with Brooks saddle. Small world! Here is a posed picture of our crew at one of the bridges:
That's a nice shot!

We stopped and took far more pics (of the bridges, etc.) the first time we did this ride; it was just so hot this year we were struggling to merely finish it alive
__________________
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 07:56 AM
  #230  
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
Thread Starter
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
There wasn't a car involved with the accident, it seems:

https://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/241152
This is odd. I recall seeing the tarp in the driveway on our left right after making a sharp 90 degree right turn. I thought it was a house - not a store...I could easily be wrong of course - anybody recall it more clearly?


From the way they describe it, wouldn't there have been at least one or two cyclists who witnessed the incident? I know if I had seen it happen, I would have at least stopped and waited till help arrived. I can't imagine no one else didn't do the same....it would be good to hear their accounts, simply for closure and clarity.
__________________
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 08:25 AM
  #231  
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
Thread Starter
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjauch View Post
There was some really great scenery and was a real treat coming from NYC.

Pgoat, it was great riding with you and your wife. I wouldn't have had such a good time if I rode solo.
Yes, and right back at ya
__________________
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 09:32 AM
  #232  
Crabster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cape May NJ
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. That's pretty awesome that they give back to the community like that.

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave View Post
A fair question. Your answer is here.
Crabster is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 11:25 AM
  #233  
zoste
VoodooChile
 
zoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,048

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
This is odd. I recall seeing the tarp in the driveway on our left right after making a sharp 90 degree right turn. I thought it was a house - not a store...I could easily be wrong of course - anybody recall it more clearly?


From the way they describe it, wouldn't there have been at least one or two cyclists who witnessed the incident? I know if I had seen it happen, I would have at least stopped and waited till help arrived. I can't imagine no one else didn't do the same....it would be good to hear their accounts, simply for closure and clarity.
I didn't see the tarp, just the emergency vehicles, but I remember them being on the left between a house on the corner, and a barn just up Sensenig Rd. A quick flight through Google Earth confirms that. Apparently the hardware store is behind the barn: there is a large parking lot, but it doesn't front on the road.
zoste is offline  
Old 08-19-09, 08:58 PM
  #234  
BigRingRide
Junior Member
 
BigRingRide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lititz now, Macungie in early life.
Posts: 6

Bikes: Dean Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey the pictures are ready. I was trying to catch up to you guys and here's grahny at 12.17.11 and I was at 12.17.41. I thought I was like 10 minutes behind not that close...funny how the mind works. Very cool pics this year.
BigRingRide is offline  
Old 08-20-09, 10:28 AM
  #235  
asv
Senior Member
 
asv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did this ride, and came away unimpressed. The route was great, but there were way too many dangerous riders. Lots of people riding 4-5 abreast, staying to the left even when cars were behind. The bridges were great, but there way too many people stopping and blocking the road for photo ops.

I was also surprised how bad the rest stops were. Bananas and nuts? At least have a few energy bars or something.
asv is offline  
Old 08-20-09, 11:49 AM
  #236  
pgoat
Batw Griekgriek
Thread Starter
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Posts: 2,911

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asv View Post
I did this ride, and came away unimpressed. The route was great, but there were way too many dangerous riders. Lots of people riding 4-5 abreast, staying to the left even when cars were behind. The bridges were great, but there way too many people stopping and blocking the road for photo ops.

I was also surprised how bad the rest stops were. Bananas and nuts? At least have a few energy bars or something.
Keep in mind this is one of the least expensive rides around, at least in my experience

I was 'buzzed' by several riders (passing on my left and then cutting to their right a little too close for comfort) but never felt truly endangered. ymmv, of course.
__________________
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.