Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Anyone do the MS Bike Tour in Windsor CT. this past Sunday ?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Anyone do the MS Bike Tour in Windsor CT. this past Sunday ?

Old 06-08-10, 08:14 AM
  #1  
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT
Thread Starter
 
JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 1,656

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone do the MS Bike Tour in Windsor CT. this past Sunday ?

I signed up and raised the money. Saturday night I packed my bike so all I had to do Sunday morning was get in my car and drive to Windsor. I went to bed to the sound of thunderstorms....
Sunday morning @ 5am I checked the weather radar and it showed a large storm headed to Windsor with more coming behind. I decided to bag the ride. Riding 100 miles in and out of thunderstorms is not my idea of fun.

I'm wondering if anyone else did the ride and if so how the weather was ?
JoeOxfordCT is offline  
Old 06-08-10, 09:23 AM
  #2  
ct-vt-trekker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 377

Bikes: 2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem, 2016 Trek Fuel EX8, 2016 Motobecane Night Train Bullet,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We did this ride. Myself, my wife, my brother and his wife. We planned this months ago. My brother was visiting from Florida so we decided to go anyway. We just adjusted our plans and did the 50 mile ride instead of the century. Our thinking was the storms would pass before the later start and that's exactly what happened! The 50 miler started at 9:00am instead of 7:00Am. The roads were still wet at the beginning of the ride but we didn't ride in any rain at all. Overall it was a great day.

I ran into a few of the century riders and they said that they rode in 1/2 to 1 hour of torential rains at the beginning of the ride.
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 06-08-10, 09:28 AM
  #3  
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT
Thread Starter
 
JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 1,656

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well that would have been me on the 100 mile route early on getting poured on....
So did you get any showers in the early afternoon or were you done by then ?

We got showers in Oxford around 3:30 but the line of storms was slanted so I belive Windsor would have gotten then earlier.....? I knew I would be kicking myself no matter whether I decided to ride or not.

Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker View Post
We did this ride. Myself, my wife, my brother and his wife. We planned this months ago. My brother was visiting from Florida so we decided to go anyway. We just adjusted our plans and did the 50 mile ride instead of the century. Our thinking was the storms would pass before the later start and that's exactly what happened! The 50 miler started at 9:00am instead of 7:00Am. The roads were still wet at the beginning of the ride but we didn't ride in any rain at all. Overall it was a great day.

I ran into a few of the century riders and they said that they rode in 1/2 to 1 hour of torential rains at the beginning of the ride.
JoeOxfordCT is offline  
Old 06-08-10, 10:10 AM
  #4  
ct-vt-trekker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 377

Bikes: 2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem, 2016 Trek Fuel EX8, 2016 Motobecane Night Train Bullet,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We were done with the ride by 12:30. We stayed around the picnic area for a while, then got free 10 minute massages. We left by 2:30 and it was still clear, only windy.
I live an hour south and it didn't rain untill around 5:00pm where I live.
ct-vt-trekker is offline  
Old 06-08-10, 10:14 AM
  #5  
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT
Thread Starter
 
JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 1,656

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh....well....I made the call I made.....
I think I'm done with these raise money to ride affairs....bad enough I have to hit folks up for money. Worse when you have to explain why you didn't ride....

Glad you got a ride in !

Originally Posted by ct-vt-trekker View Post
We were done with the ride by 12:30. We stayed around the picnic area for a while, then got free 10 minute massages. We left by 2:30 and it was still clear, only windy.
I live an hour south and it didn't rain untill around 5:00pm where I live.
JoeOxfordCT is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 07:07 AM
  #6  
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 582

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man up and ride, the people you are raising money for are dealing with a lot worse things then getting rained on.
CPFITNESS is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 07:23 AM
  #7  
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT
Thread Starter
 
JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 1,656

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate your statement however....

1. It's not like the money I raised won't get paid if I don't ride...the ride was my reward.
2. My mother lived with and died chiefly from MS....so don't lecture me about the disease.

Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
man up and ride, the people you are raising money for are dealing with a lot worse things then getting rained on.
JoeOxfordCT is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 07:31 AM
  #8  
CPFITNESS
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 582

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wasn't a lecture and I respect the fact that you raised the money but as someone that has donated to things like this I'd kind of feel hoodwinked if the person didn't complete the task though I will say most of my donations have been for team in training marathons where the people are getting a portion of the proceeds raised to fund their trip to whereever the race is so if someone raised the money and didnt' do the race it would be like using the donors for a free vacation which would really be sheisty.
CPFITNESS is offline  
Old 06-09-10, 07:40 AM
  #9  
JoeOxfordCT
JoeWolcottCT
Thread Starter
 
JoeOxfordCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wolcott, CT
Posts: 1,656

Bikes: Cannondale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with you in that I do/did feel like I cheated folks by not riding but riding in the rain (however much rain there ended up being) for that length, I had intended to do the 100 mile route, was not going to give my donations added value. But since I do still feel funny about not riding I am more likely to skip these money raising rides in the future. I picked this one because of my personal connection to the disease and the fact that I was looking for a 100 mile ride early in the season.
I will also give props to the folks at the MS Society too as they recorded the fact that I did not ride and sent me an email yesterday afternoon inviting me to ride their Westport ride this coming Sunday. This after I signed to ride the Hat City Cyclefest yesterday morning.

Originally Posted by CPFITNESS View Post
wasn't a lecture and I respect the fact that you raised the money but as someone that has donated to things like this I'd kind of feel hoodwinked if the person didn't complete the task though I will say most of my donations have been for team in training marathons where the people are getting a portion of the proceeds raised to fund their trip to whereever the race is so if someone raised the money and didnt' do the race it would be like using the donors for a free vacation which would really be sheisty.
JoeOxfordCT is offline  
Old 06-10-10, 04:41 PM
  #10  
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within
 
Standalone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Haven, CT, USA
Posts: 3,398

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
I love rain. All my bikes are "rain" bikes.
__________________
The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. Christopher Morley
Standalone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
GuessWhoCycling
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
20
12-29-18 10:47 PM
Shifty
Pacific Northwest
15
05-13-15 09:12 AM
az_cyclist
Fifty Plus (50+)
10
05-05-14 11:29 AM
chinarider
Fifty Plus (50+)
13
06-29-10 12:17 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.