Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

anyone out here from jersey?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

anyone out here from jersey?

Old 04-07-11, 08:30 PM
  #501  
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold
 
noglider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 40,176

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 495 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7015 Post(s)
Liked 1,766 Times in 1,099 Posts
John and Nick are great.

Hey send me an email, please, will ya?
__________________
Tom Reingold, tom@noglider.com
New York City and High Falls, NY
Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline  
Old 04-07-11, 09:20 PM
  #502  
Pliggy
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo R3 & 07 Specialized Allez Comp & 01 Specialized Rockhopper, Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fatty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - just did!
Pliggy is offline  
Old 04-08-11, 01:23 AM
  #503  
run1206
Senior Member
 
run1206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth Amboy, NJ
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been to Marty's in Morristown; it's a nice shop. got a few small supplies there but they have alot of bike there (mainly Specialized). I might think about getting my bike adjustments and footwear from that store.
run1206 is offline  
Old 04-11-11, 06:45 AM
  #504  
vdv115
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey_ View Post
Howdy neighbor! Where do you normally ride?
I usually ride the county bike path Glassboro to Monroe. Great paved path, well maintained and no worries about sharing the road with cars.
vdv115 is offline  
Old 04-11-11, 09:48 AM
  #505  
abu_pinhus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
striclys is cool, high end stuff inthere, nothing i can afford damm you rich bergen county people....
strictly cycles is not very friendly in my experience, only good to high end clientèle.
Cosmic wheel in Ridgefield Park is much friendlier place, you can get low and high end items
abu_pinhus is offline  
Old 04-11-11, 11:45 AM
  #506  
mickey_
So tragically hip.
 
mickey_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MASHboro, NJ
Posts: 364

Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vdv115 View Post
I usually ride the county bike path Glassboro to Monroe. Great paved path, well maintained and no worries about sharing the road with cars.
Haven't had a chance to check that path out yet! You do any mountain biking? Camden County College and Gloucester County College both have some awesome trails.
mickey_ is offline  
Old 04-13-11, 04:09 PM
  #507  
fizzle
Senior Member
 
fizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 86

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abu_pinhus View Post
strictly cycles is not very friendly in my experience, only good to high end clientèle.
Cosmic wheel in Ridgefield Park is much friendlier place, you can get low and high end items
i got my 7.5 fx from cosmic, friendly staff great bike shop.
fizzle is offline  
Old 04-13-11, 04:38 PM
  #508  
fizzle
Senior Member
 
fizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 86

Bikes: 2016 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod, 2014 Caad 10, 2010 Bianchi Pista via Condotti. 2009 Kona Zing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein View Post
lol that looks like the beginning of the trail that heads down to the "giant steps". theres these giant rock formations at the bank of the hudson river ( directly across the river from Yonkers ) that were formed when they were excavating the palisades back in the 1800s, years of rock slides formed the "steps" as i was told. Look up Palisades Interstate Park website for hiking trail info, the steps are located in the Closter NJ section i believe. Also this section of the trail is supposedly for "experienced" hikers only, as long as youre somewhat athletic you should have no trouble, although make sure you dont get caught in the rain out there or else it can get real slippery on those rocks and can be dangerous, dont do like me and forget to check the forcast.
fizzle is offline  
Old 04-14-11, 09:11 PM
  #509  
Big_Bird
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ/PSU
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! I'm from West Milford. Nice to meet you guys/gals.
Big_Bird is offline  
Old 04-17-11, 07:02 AM
  #510  
cranky velocist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It isn't really fair to ride the giant steps; they ask you not to and you'll be spending most of your time on foot anyway.

Bring hiking boots. The entire trail is an advertisement for ankle support. Also bring extra water & stock up on daylight - the trail takes longer than it looks on paper & weather conditions can vary that time by alot.
cranky velocist is offline  
Old 04-17-11, 07:10 AM
  #511  
cranky velocist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there any Plainsboro, Princeton, or Windsor riders here? Between the Mercer County Park trails & all the ride-friendly rural roads I've been in heaven since I moved here about a month ago. You guys know how to live. I've actually been avoiding internet research about biking in the area - so far every time I've gone out I've been overwhelmed with potentially great rides as it is. That will change soon now that I'm more familiar with the area.

If anybody wants to point me in the direction of local trail crews, I'll glady strap a shovel to my frame and head over. Same goes for riding groups in general - throw me a link & I'll be more than happy to join you.
cranky velocist is offline  
Old 04-17-11, 05:22 PM
  #512  
ghughes20
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 32

Bikes: 2011 Giant Defy 1, 1986 Raleigh Racing USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking in from Oradell, Bergen County. I'm a noob and just getting started. Trying to build up the miles and hopefully I can do a 1/2 century later this year.
ghughes20 is offline  
Old 04-17-11, 05:23 PM
  #513  
groth
astro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 346

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky velocist View Post
Are there any Plainsboro, Princeton, or Windsor riders here? Between the Mercer County Park trails & all the ride-friendly rural roads I've been in heaven since I moved here about a month ago. You guys know how to live. I've actually been avoiding internet research about biking in the area - so far every time I've gone out I've been overwhelmed with potentially great rides as it is. That will change soon now that I'm more familiar with the area.

If anybody wants to point me in the direction of local trail crews, I'll glady strap a shovel to my frame and head over. Same goes for riding groups in general - throw me a link & I'll be more than happy to join you.
Sounds like you're a mountain biker. I spend most of my time on the roads, I can't help you with mountain bike trails. However, there are dirt roads around: Aunt Molly Road in Hopewell Township. The piece of Stony Brook Road between Mountain Church Road and Mountain Road near the west end of the Sourlands. A chunk of Dutchtown Zion road on the east end of the Sourlands. I'm pretty sure there are some over by Lambertville but I haven't been on them in a while. Of course, there is the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath (multi-use path). Running from near Trenton up to New Brunswick, and from near Trenton up to Frenchtown. The connector through Trenton has been finished (I think), but I haven't tried it yet.

- Ed
groth is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 09:02 AM
  #514  
cranky velocist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by groth View Post
Sounds like you're a mountain biker. I spend most of my time on the roads, I can't help you with mountain bike trails. However, there are dirt roads around: Aunt Molly Road in Hopewell Township. The piece of Stony Brook Road between Mountain Church Road and Mountain Road near the west end of the Sourlands. A chunk of Dutchtown Zion road on the east end of the Sourlands. I'm pretty sure there are some over by Lambertville but I haven't been on them in a while. Of course, there is the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath (multi-use path). Running from near Trenton up to New Brunswick, and from near Trenton up to Frenchtown. The connector through Trenton has been finished (I think), but I haven't tried it yet.

- Ed
Thanks for the feedback. I recently picked up a 7.2fx I've been playing around on - I love my hardtail MTB but she is currently modified into something more urban & I don't know if I'll end up either reversing some of those modifications or just picking up a second suspension bike when I can.

I wouldn't take the FX into the Sourlands right now (which are awesome), but she's proven quite handy on less aggressive trails.

I like the D & R alot...Should I be riding it into NB and then out RT 27 to get to the Sourlands?

Is there a more direct way through East Princeton maybe? Off the main road on something with less cars?

Sourland's it is. & I will google the dirt roads you mentioned (which I do hunt actively hunt for) Good idea, Ed. Thank you.

Last edited by cranky velocist; 04-18-11 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Addressed to the wrong person? (sorry)
cranky velocist is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 04:33 PM
  #515  
vdv115
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey_ View Post
Haven't had a chance to check that path out yet! You do any mountain biking? Camden County College and Gloucester County College both have some awesome trails.
I have a 1994 Specialized Hard Rock but I haven't really done any mountain bike riding in a long time. Never been on the GCC trail but I hear it's pretty good along with Crese Park trail in Mantua.
vdv115 is offline  
Old 04-18-11, 04:48 PM
  #516  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13,428
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3619 Post(s)
Liked 996 Times in 694 Posts
Be sure to check out your local bicycle club!
njkayaker is offline  
Old 04-19-11, 07:21 PM
  #517  
tomg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: south jersey
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vdv115 View Post
I have a 1994 Specialized Hard Rock but I haven't really done any mountain bike riding in a long time. Never been on the GCC trail but I hear it's pretty good along with Crese Park trail in Mantua.
hi vdv115!
Crese Park was a local hang-out (occasionally) for me growing up in Pitman. We called it "Lost Lakes". There are easier trails there than Gloucester county college.
Do you have a road bike as well? I am having some issue following South Jersey specific threads here in BF..........sorry if you already posted answer.
Have you checked out Parvin State Park? There are some really easy trails there, a few with a challange! Do you prefer riding on MUPs?
I'll see you riding on the road, trails, or both!
tomg
tomg is offline  
Old 04-19-11, 11:12 PM
  #518  
Chris(NJ)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 186

Bikes: CAAD9 5-Sram Red, Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking about doing a weekly ride out of Cranford Bike Shop. Maybe do a Wed. and/or Sunday. Anyone interested, shoot me a pm
Chris(NJ) is offline  
Old 04-20-11, 08:36 PM
  #519  
Exit3
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Swamps of Jersey
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like South Jersey is well represented. I am Sewell. I can usually be found on RT. 45 from Woodstown to Woodbury. I like to call that my Woodie ride. I cringe every time I ride on Breakneck Road because the irony of crashing there would be too much.
Exit3 is offline  
Old 04-20-11, 09:54 PM
  #520  
groth
astro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pennington, NJ
Posts: 346

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky velocist View Post
I like the D & R alot...Should I be riding it into NB and then out RT 27 to get to the Sourlands?

Is there a more direct way through East Princeton maybe? Off the main road on something with less cars?

Sourland's it is. & I will google the dirt roads you mentioned (which I do hunt actively hunt for) Good idea, Ed. Thank you.
If you're riding up the D&R to NB, you could get off at 518 and take 518 to Hollow, Spring Hill, or Province Line Roads, all of which go up into the Sourlands. Or you could continue on to the next bridge over the canal and river, double back slightly to Griggstown Road, pick up Rt 604 (Dutchtown Harlingen) to 601 and then Dutchtown Zion into the Sourlands. (Probably a good idea to look at Google maps for this one!). I don't think you need to go all the way to NB.

I'm not sure I can help you through East Princeton (not sure I understand what you mean).

- Ed
groth is offline  
Old 04-20-11, 09:58 PM
  #521  
Dannihilator
Still kicking.
 
Dannihilator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Annandale, New Jersey
Posts: 19,658

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
Was definitely a gorgeous day today, I enjoyed my road ride.
__________________
Appreciate the old bikes more than the new.
Dannihilator is offline  
Old 04-21-11, 08:52 PM
  #522  
tomg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: south jersey
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Exit3 View Post
Looks like South Jersey is well represented. I am Sewell. I can usually be found on RT. 45 from Woodstown to Woodbury. I like to call that my Woodie ride. I cringe every time I ride on Breakneck Road because the irony of crashing there would be too much.
i used to ride that (breakneck rd) frequently for the hills. on my last ride there, about 6 months ago, i lost the black plastic bottle cap of one of my water-bottles. this was past cleary h/s, closer to barnsboro hotel (alt 553), before the development on right and first house on the left. if you see a water cap in that area, please let me know!

i have currently accepted a MIA stance for this item!

one of my loops on breakneck included passing the "Old Stone Church" into Brideport then through Paulsboro to Woodbury (1979 - 81), great areas to ride!!!
tomg is offline  
Old 04-24-11, 09:10 PM
  #523  
jayman575
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey fellow Jersey riders, im new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to you all. Im in Edison so hopefully i can meet some local riding buddies.
jayman575 is offline  
Old 04-24-11, 11:55 PM
  #524  
neilfein
Senior Member
 
neilfein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Highland Park, NJ, USA
Posts: 3,798

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayman575 View Post
Hey fellow Jersey riders, im new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to you all. Im in Edison so hopefully i can meet some local riding buddies.
Highland Park here, welcome to the forum.
__________________
Tour Journals, Blog, ride pix

My bands:
neilfein is offline  
Old 04-25-11, 06:44 AM
  #525  
run1206
Senior Member
 
run1206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Perth Amboy, NJ
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jayman575 View Post
Hey fellow Jersey riders, im new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to you all. Im in Edison so hopefully i can meet some local riding buddies.
Welcome! I just rode with a friend to Tano Mall yesterday, maybe me you and neilfein can meet up sometime this week or next week for a ride.
run1206 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.