Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/)
-   -   Cervelo rider, please lube your chain (https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-california/1048922-cervelo-rider-please-lube-your-chain.html)

slimyfrog 02-14-16 08:21 AM

Cervelo rider, please lube your chain
 
You have a really nice bike and I'm sure it was expensive. I'm also sure you are a very busy man and can't ride very often, but please lube your chain. Hearing it squeak like that makes _me_ suffer and I don't even know you or your bike.
Your bicycle is crying. Please spend 10 minutes to take care of it.

cccorlew 02-15-16 08:56 AM

I feel your pain.
Of course, I feel his pain too. I once had a chain start squeaking at the end of a long ride. I was sure I'd lubed it recently, but there it was. I wanted to scream "I AM SO SORRY" at everyone I rode near.

slimyfrog 02-15-16 12:54 PM

I'll have to put a small can of WD-40 in my jersey pocket and do en passant cassette lubrication for unsuspecting squeakers!
;)
Psssssssssssssssst!

"What the..."

*shrugs innocently*

pacificaslim 02-15-16 01:22 PM

and people wonder why I wear headphone! Chain noise drives me so nuts. I wonder if there are any single use size lube packages (like a ketchup package)? If there are, I'm gonna fill my jersey pocket with them and toss them at all the offenders.

bikingshearer 02-16-16 08:08 PM


Originally Posted by pacificaslim (Post 18538653)
and people wonder why I wear headphone! Chain noise drives me so nuts. I wonder if there are any single use size lube packages (like a ketchup package)? If there are, I'm gonna fill my jersey pocket with them and toss them at all the offenders.

Why not just give them the ketchup packets? It may not help the chain-squeak, but you can amuse yourself with the quizzical looks on the recipients' faces.

pacificaslim 02-16-16 10:02 PM

,

Originally Posted by bikingshearer (Post 18542422)
Why not just give them the ketchup packets? It may not help the chain-squeak, but you can amuse yourself with the quizzical looks on the recipients' faces.

That'll work just fine!

squirtdad 02-18-16 05:24 PM

wd40 is not a lubricant

slimyfrog 02-19-16 07:16 AM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 18547436)
wd40 is not a lubricant

Yes I know. But it works as a (mild) solvent, it comes in very small cans and it will definitely stop a chain from squeaking.

Lanceoldstrong 02-20-16 02:58 PM


Originally Posted by squirtdad (Post 18547436)
wd40 is not a lubricant

Now, I don't use it myself, but I found this about the special blend of lubricants in WD-40...

"Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

Source: Fun WD-40 Facts - Read WD-40 Myths, Legends and More! :popcorn

slimyfrog 02-20-16 11:56 PM


Originally Posted by Lanceoldstrong (Post 18551687)
Now, I don't use it myself, but I found this about the special blend of lubricants in WD-40...

"Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

Source: Fun WD-40 Facts - Read WD-40 Myths, Legends and More! :popcorn

I saw a video in which Simon from GNC mentioned he uses WD-40 exclusively, but then he seems to wash and spray his drive train every other day :)

Rumpled 02-22-16 10:52 PM

I've gotten single serving packets of lube at races and events. Pro-Gold, I think. Not my favorite, but I tuck one in every seat bag I have.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.