Notices
Northern California Northern California

Bike fitting in Sac/Folsom

Old 07-16-20, 07:11 PM
  #1  
Hikebikerun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 90

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 21 Posts
Bike fitting in Sac/Folsom

Rather than hijack InvertedMPs thread, I thought Id start another.

Im looking for a bike fitter in Sacramento/Folsom.

Ive asked probably 5-6 LBS and they say none are available right now.

I did find one, Athleticamps, that looks promising but expensive at $295:

https://www.athleticamps.com/

I also found a PT that does fittings for $150 who is booked a month out (which is encouraging):

https://bodyconceptsinc.com/sports/peak-cycling/

Any input on these or other suggestions?
Hikebikerun is offline  
Old 07-17-20, 12:47 PM
  #2  
snowdog650
Senior Member
 
snowdog650's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 126

Bikes: Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hikebikerun View Post
Rather than hijack InvertedMPs thread, I thought Id start another.

Im looking for a bike fitter in Sacramento/Folsom.

Ive asked probably 5-6 LBS and they say none are available right now.

I did find one, Athleticamps, that looks promising but expensive at $295:

https://www.athleticamps.com/

I also found a PT that does fittings for $150 who is booked a month out (which is encouraging):

https://bodyconceptsinc.com/sports/peak-cycling/

Any input on these or other suggestions?
UC Davis Sport Medicine does it as well. UC Davis Sports Medicine Biomechanical Tests

Presumable Eric Heiden had some input prior to his departure from UCD.
snowdog650 is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 08:35 PM
  #3  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 429

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 96 Cannondale F700CAD3, 2011 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 79 Posts
$300 +/- seems to be the going rate for an initial fit in the Bay Area. Further tune-ups ~$150 as required.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 07-20-20, 09:14 PM
  #4  
Reynolds 531
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Reno nevada
Posts: 462

Bikes: 4 Old school BMX, 6 Klunkers, 5 29er race bikes, 4 restored Sting Rays, Now 3 vintage steel bike being built up

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
$300 +/- seems to be the going rate for an initial fit in the Bay Area. Further tune-ups ~$150 as required.

Barry
Mike Beretta, in El Dorado Hills.
Reynolds 531 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 08:20 PM
  #5  
Hikebikerun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 90

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 21 Posts
Had my fitting at UC Davis today. Judd was a pretty cool guy. He adjusted seat height and fore/aft, added some spacers under my cleats that cause my feet to supinate slightly, added a couple of washers to my pedals to being my feet out a few mm, adjusted the handlebars, and recommended a 70mm stem to replace my 90mm stem.

The stem is on order; I will update after a week or so of riding with the new position.
Hikebikerun is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 08:28 PM
  #6  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 429

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 96 Cannondale F700CAD3, 2011 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hikebikerun View Post
Had my fitting at UC Davis today. Judd was a pretty cool guy. He adjusted seat height and fore/aft, added some spacers under my cleats that cause my feet to supinate slightly, added a couple of washers to my pedals to being my feet out a few mm, adjusted the handlebars, and recommended a 70mm stem to replace my 90mm stem.

The stem is on order; I will update after a week or so of riding with the new position.
So... how much too big is your frame?

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 08:39 PM
  #7  
Hikebikerun
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 90

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2 View Post
So... how much too big is your frame?

Barry
I went to 4 different shops, 2/4 recommended a 56. There other two recommended I get a 54; I trusted the last guy more than all the others and got the 54. Im 510 and most online charts say I should fit a 56. I dont think my frame is too big for me, but then again neither of us are professional bike fitters.
Hikebikerun is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 08:56 PM
  #8  
Barry2 
LRP=HR
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 429

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 96 Cannondale F700CAD3, 2011 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Hikebikerun View Post
I went to 4 different shops, 2/4 recommended a 56. There other two recommended I get a 54; I trusted the last guy more than all the others and got the 54. Im 510 and most online charts say I should fit a 56. I dont think my frame is too big for me, but then again neither of us are professional bike fitters.
70mm is squarely in the short stem dept.
My frame IS too big and had to go with a 70mm stem to cut down the reach.
I still like the ride.

Barry
Barry2 is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 09:14 PM
  #9  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 10,876

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 361 Posts
What happened to the shop that was nestled behind Coffee Republic? Not either of the two different bike shops that have been in there recently, but there was some kind of sports medicine optimizing joint. IIRC, they had an infinity logo.

I recognize the name Athleticamps, they are on the other side of the 7-11 from Folsom Bike at the west end of the bridge
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 08-05-20, 12:21 PM
  #10  
funonwheels
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kinetic Cycles in Sacramento offers bike fitting. I haven't worked with them for this (they are my go-to shop for repairs though), but have heard good things about them.
funonwheels is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.