Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Feedback on Richmond-S.R. bridge bike path

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Feedback on Richmond-S.R. bridge bike path

Old 06-24-21, 01:22 PM
  #1  
Happy banana slug
Thread Starter
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Feedback on Richmond-S.R. bridge bike path

Story here.
Korina is offline  
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-25-21, 03:11 AM
  #2  
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,645

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Thanks for posting this. I just completed the survey.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 08-08-21, 06:28 PM
  #3  
This wrench fits...
 
BoltBreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Eastbania
Posts: 70

Bikes: Two Rivs, and a bespoke Gugie

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts
This survey is still active, be sure to get your feedback in. Even though CalTrans tracks every bicycle on the bridge, they (and we) benefit from direct comments on the bike paths.
BoltBreaker is offline  
Old 07-18-23, 03:03 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,676

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
4 years later... Glad I got to enjoy it once at least (I'm in the South Bay).
tFUnK is offline  
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 07-19-23, 05:33 PM
  #5  
Happy banana slug
Thread Starter
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
4 years later... Glad I got to enjoy it once at least (I'm in the South Bay).
Why is no one using it? Does it connect to anyplace useful, or just dump people onto a stroad?
Korina is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 05:47 PM
  #6  
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 10,001

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Why is no one using it? Does it connect to anyplace useful, or just dump people onto a stroad?
I was driving over this bridge last week and I checked out the bike lane - it doesn't look fun at all. It goes from a heavy industrial area in Richmond to San Quentin so not that useful either for pretty much anyone. It's also loud and ugly. I might do it just for the experience anyway... it does connect to a nice park trail on the Richmond side.

DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-19-23, 07:19 PM
  #7  
Happy banana slug
Thread Starter
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Weird; makes you wonder why they even put it there.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I was driving over this bridge last week and I checked out the bike lane - it doesn't look fun at all. It goes from a heavy industrial area in Richmond to San Quentin so not that useful either for pretty much anyone. It's also loud and ugly. I might do it just for the experience anyway... it does connect to a nice park trail on the Richmond side.
Korina is offline  
Old 07-20-23, 01:16 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 3,676

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
It's about as fun as riding across any other bridge on a highway. Not a peaceful experience but one I enjoy just for the sake of it. And I think part of the vision of cross-Bay bridges in general is to promote commuting, although since they all parallel highways it makes them less accessible/suitable for bike commuting.
tFUnK is offline  
Old 07-20-23, 07:43 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Why is no one using it? Does it connect to anyplace useful, or just dump people onto a stroad?
On the west end of the bridge you can ride ~1/2 mile further along and there is a bike lane bridge that takes you over freeway 580. From there you can join Sir Francis Drake Blvd, which has (unlabeled?) bike lanes, which leads to a bike trail along the shoreline. And that takes you to Larkspur. From Larkspur after crossing another bridge you can bike down to the Tiburon peninsula, which a lot of people love to cycle around. I never feel comfortable riding on narrow streets with no bike lanes so I'm not crazy about Tiburon. But the Richmond bridge through to Larkspur route is safe and protected and nice and scenic. It's a shame they are getting rid of it.
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-20-23, 11:03 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I was driving over this bridge last week and I checked out the bike lane - it doesn't look fun at all. It goes from a heavy industrial area in Richmond to San Quentin so not that useful either for pretty much anyone. It's also loud and ugly. I might do it just for the experience anyway... it does connect to a nice park trail on the Richmond side.

itís actually very fun. yes, a bit noisy, but itís straight, safe, and depending on the wind and whether youíre going up or down, very fast.

Originally Posted by Korina
Weird; makes you wonder why they even put it there.
because it connects two places lots of people ride - Marin and the east bay. there is no other way to make this connection on a bike within a reasonable distance, like less than 100 miles. if the connections were improved just a bit on both sides (particularly through Richmond) I believe more people would use it. Iíve done it 7 or 8 times, I think, always starting from SF and going clockwise around the bay.
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-21-23, 09:25 AM
  #11  
Dead but dreaming
 
KJ43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bay Area, CA (East Bay - Contra Costa County)
Posts: 423

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I definitely rely on this bridge since I've moved from the Palo Alto area to Richmond.

It's a nicer ride imo than the Dumbarton crossing even though it's longer. As mentioned above it connects well to Sir Francis Drake Blvd which leads to not only the very nice Tiberon loop but I've already ridden out to Blithedale Ridge in Mill Valley which was ok but had gorgeous views. I've got routes planned to China Camp trails and eventually Marin as well all that can be ridden from my front door because of the RSR Bridge.
KJ43 is offline  
Likes For KJ43:
Old 07-21-23, 10:43 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
... it's also a pretty rare (around these parts, at least!) to have a 4+ mile stretch with no intersections, driveways, cross-traffic, curves, nothing. good place to see how strong/fast you are... or aren't!
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-21-23, 04:05 PM
  #13  
Happy banana slug
Thread Starter
 
Korina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way
Posts: 3,694

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
It's a darn shame it's going away. FYI, this is the quality of people who want that path for cars.
Korina is offline  
Old 07-22-23, 03:45 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,648

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
I witnessed this yesterday and my first thought was that it will be another nail in the coffin for the bike lane. The state is not going to invest in a bike lane when the whole bridge really needs to be replaced. Now I'm sure there will be talk about a suicide net. I ride it regularly and will miss the access it provided to that side of the bay.

curbtender is offline  
Old 07-23-23, 10:22 AM
  #15  
Dedicated Detritus Dodger
 
bargo68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, California
Posts: 470

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I started using this bike lane on May 2, 2020 to commute from my home in Fairfax to my place of work in downtown Berkeley. Early days saw me going four days a week (8x) and more recently down to two days. Looking at my Ride with GPS, I've ridden over this bridge 862 times in the intervening years. It has been a godsend for me to have this route open and it has been singularly responsible for about 80% of my mileage, which is anywhere from 5 to 6 thousand annually since I've gotten serious about it.
It's an interesting bit of riding. It's about 4 miles between landings and has a couple long, gentle climbs in each direction. Going east (my morning route), the climb is a little over a mile with 2.5 to 4% grades. Coming home it's a little shorter with about the same pitch. The bridge has 2 "peaks" and its highest elevation is 394 above sea level. Looks like this:




Of course, I chose one of my speedier days .
I will say this: I've always viewed this bike lane as a temporary gift and it looks like the forces have marshaled against its prolonged existence. There's no shortage of haters in this world and it seems a great many of them drive on this bridge and want it all to themselves. I have to own up to my schadenfreude, however. There's nothing like hitting 30 mph in an open bike lane with 2 lanes of cars stopped dead beside you!
To those who have found this bridge a less than aesthetic experience, I must take umbrage. While wind and weather can make this stretch an extreme sufferfest, it offers a unique vantage point from which to experience all the subtle vagaries of this end of the San Franciso bay. I've noticed over the years that if I can get my head out of my ride and open my senses, it's quite a bit more than just climbing and car noise.
If it closes down, and I don't think it's been decided, it will be sorely missed by this guy.


-sigh-
bargo68 is offline  
Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-23-23, 03:04 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by bargo68
I started using this bike lane on May 2, 2020 to commute from my home in Fairfax to my place of work in downtown Berkeley. Early days saw me going four days a week (8x) and more recently down to two days. Looking at my Ride with GPS, I've ridden over this bridge 862 times in the intervening years. It has been a godsend for me to have this route open and it has been singularly responsible for about 80% of my mileage, which is anywhere from 5 to 6 thousand annually since I've gotten serious about it.
It's an interesting bit of riding. It's about 4 miles between landings and has a couple long, gentle climbs in each direction. Going east (my morning route), the climb is a little over a mile with 2.5 to 4% grades. Coming home it's a little shorter with about the same pitch. The bridge has 2 "peaks" and its highest elevation is 394 above sea level. Looks like this:




Of course, I chose one of my speedier days .
I will say this: I've always viewed this bike lane as a temporary gift and it looks like the forces have marshaled against its prolonged existence. There's no shortage of haters in this world and it seems a great many of them drive on this bridge and want it all to themselves. I have to own up to my schadenfreude, however. There's nothing like hitting 30 mph in an open bike lane with 2 lanes of cars stopped dead beside you!
To those who have found this bridge a less than aesthetic experience, I must take umbrage. While wind and weather can make this stretch an extreme sufferfest, it offers a unique vantage point from which to experience all the subtle vagaries of this end of the San Franciso bay. I've noticed over the years that if I can get my head out of my ride and open my senses, it's quite a bit more than just climbing and car noise.
If it closes down, and I don't think it's been decided, it will be sorely missed by this guy.


-sigh-
nice! it's definitely not a done deal although the forces of evil are definitely aligning.

i did it today as part of a counterclockwise route from west oakland bart to moraga, orinda, richmond, and back into SF. the marathon closed the bike lanes on the golden gate northbound, so this was the first time i did RSR westbound! the connections also seem less tortured in that direction, interestingly. pretty clear shot to the ferry terminal.




not particularly fast (i was gassed out!) but it really is fun. i cannot figure the winds out up there.
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Likes For mschwett:
Old 07-23-23, 03:35 PM
  #17  
Dedicated Detritus Dodger
 
bargo68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, California
Posts: 470

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
nice! it's definitely not a done deal although the forces of evil are definitely aligning.

i did it today as part of a counterclockwise route from west oakland bart to moraga, orinda, richmond, and back into SF. the marathon closed the bike lanes on the golden gate northbound, so this was the first time i did RSR westbound! the connections also seem less tortured in that direction, interestingly. pretty clear shot to the ferry terminal.




not particularly fast (i was gassed out!) but it really is fun. i cannot figure the winds out up there.
Legend! You got around a bit.
Yeah, winds are my nemesis on my commute. Windfinder, Windy, Windyapp all come up short many times for accurate deets. You can have a 10 mph tailwind on the first half and at the top have it whip around on you twice as hard. Last few weeks have been pretty mellow.l
bargo68 is offline  
Old 07-25-23, 07:50 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
icemilkcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,385
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
It's a darn shame it's going away. FYI, this is the quality of people who want that path for cars.
From the article it sounds like the attempt to scrap the bike lanes in favor of a third car lane is dead:
The Assembly Transportation Committee's analysis of A.B. 1464 ripped it to shreds, noting that its basic premise - opening up a third lane to vehicle traffic would reduce congestion and thereby reduce emissions from that traffic - is demonstrably false.
Sounds like common sense prevailed and the bike lane lives on!
icemilkcoffee is offline  
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-25-23, 10:48 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,648

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-26-23, 08:19 PM
  #20  
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 10,001

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
1. Is that surface as rough as it looks?
2. Is that an Avocet 20?
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-26-23, 09:07 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,648

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
1. Is that surface as rough as it looks?
2. Is that an Avocet 20?
I guess I'm used to it, but yes, it is not a smooth ride.
Cateye...
curbtender is offline  
Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-03-23, 09:40 AM
  #22  
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Posts: 5,645

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
1. Is that surface as rough as it looks?
2. Is that an Avocet 20?
The surface is not glass-smooth, but it is well within acceptable tolerances. if those grooves were perpendicular to the route of travel, they would suck. Since they are parallel to the route of travel, they are not a big deal.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline  
Old 08-03-23, 11:29 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,032

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The surface is not glass-smooth, but it is well within acceptable tolerances. if those grooves were perpendicular to the route of travel, they would suck. Since they are parallel to the route of travel, they are not a big deal.
the surface is perfectly fine. itís unusual for cycling, but i have never thought twice about it other than noticing the first time that itís not like a local street or MUP. itís not bumpy or jarring at all, just a little noisier than most and probably a tick slowerÖ
__________________
mschwett is offline  
Old 08-03-23, 04:20 PM
  #24  
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Posts: 7,648

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked 2,570 Times in 1,218 Posts
That small section that is buffed down some runs the whole path. On that side I stay in that. Bikes coming down get going pretty good and you got to make sure you stay to your side. That potential bridge jumper was on that section when I came over and did a step at me when I was passing. I guess that wasn't his planned way to go thankfully.
curbtender is offline  
Old 08-09-23, 11:04 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hope they don't get rid of the bike lane. I think drivers presume the gridlocks are due to the lane being used by bikes/pedestrians, but I don't think the traffic bottleneck is on the bridge. I used to ride that on my 2.5 Bridges Century (from SF to Treasure Island and back). I was hoping to ride the 3 Bridges Half Century when the western span of the Bay Bridge becomes bike accessible. Prior to the pandemic, I also commute between from Point Richmond back to SF (when I don't feel like paying for the ferry or BART). Whenever I was on it, I see very few cyclists...even fewer pedestrians. I always felt like there's not enough demand to keep it open (as compared to GG Bridge or even the Bay Bridge Eastern Span).
mayukawa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.