Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Summary at 82yo

Old 10-10-21, 05:04 PM
  #1  
gobicycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 45 Posts
Summary at 82yo

Next month I will be 82yo. About 40-50% of high school friends are no longer with us. I put together a listing of all the "ailments" I have accumulated and are pretty much still with me, one way or another. The funny thing is that not one of these affects my performance, daily activities nor just "living." I attribute many of these (but not all) to having lived a pretty stressful life, raising two children with profound disabilities - which meant - 60 years ago, fighting for services which were not available, finding money to pay (worked three jobs), many illnesses and near-death situations, and a whole lot of other stress factors, and, perhaps, not finding out about and treating my blood pressure early enough. Both stress and HBP are killers. Anyway, I bicycle, swim, walk, stretch, do resistance exercises, etc. daily. Several items on the list are simply aging. Not much one can do about them. But, my blood work on annual physical is totally within normal range. Well, here is the list:

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Lower eyelid doesn’t close well (needs surgery)
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Trigeminal Neuralgia, first treated by drugs, then Micro Vascular Decompression then drugs then 2 Gamma Knifes, resulting in total numbness of right side of face, eye, teeth, but marked reduction of intolerable pain of TN
Hearing going
Dysphasia
Corrected Atrial Fibrillation, now normal
Left Anterior Fascicular Block
L4-L5 Fusion
Dendriform Pulmonary Ossification
Pulmonary Hypertension (mild)
Extreme sensitivity to Carrageenan
Bunions
Right shoulder separation, Type II
High Blood Pressure (treated - generally 120/80 or less
Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-10-21 at 05:28 PM.
gobicycling is offline  
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 10-10-21, 07:15 PM
  #2  
Skullo
Master of the Universe
 
Skullo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 41 Posts
Glad there is nothing serious. Keep doing what you are doing.
Live long and prosper.
Skullo is offline  
Likes For Skullo:
Old 10-11-21, 07:21 AM
  #3  
shelbyfv 
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 9,747
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
Next month I will be 82yo. About 40-50% of high school friends are no longer with us. I put together a listing of all the "ailments" I have accumulated and are pretty much still with me, one way or another. The funny thing is that not one of these affects my performance, daily activities nor just "living." I attribute many of these (but not all) to having lived a pretty stressful life, raising two children with profound disabilities - which meant - 60 years ago, fighting for services which were not available, finding money to pay (worked three jobs), many illnesses and near-death situations, and a whole lot of other stress factors, and, perhaps, not finding out about and treating my blood pressure early enough. Both stress and HBP are killers. Anyway, I bicycle, swim, walk, stretch, do resistance exercises, etc. daily. Several items on the list are simply aging. Not much one can do about them. But, my blood work on annual physical is totally within normal range. Well, here is the list:

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Lower eyelid doesn’t close well (needs surgery)
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Trigeminal Neuralgia, first treated by drugs, then Micro Vascular Decompression then drugs then 2 Gamma Knifes, resulting in total numbness of right side of face, eye, teeth, but marked reduction of intolerable pain of TN
Hearing going
Dysphasia
Corrected Atrial Fibrillation, now normal
Left Anterior Fascicular Block
L4-L5 Fusion
Dendriform Pulmonary Ossification
Pulmonary Hypertension (mild)
Extreme sensitivity to Carrageenan
Bunions
Right shoulder separation, Type II
High Blood Pressure (treated - generally 120/80 or less
Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)
Impressive!
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-17-21, 10:21 PM
  #4  
OldBrokeReCycle
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Olympic Peninsula WA / Seal Beach CA
Posts: 15

Bikes: 1980 Trek 510 owned since '81 BLINGED; 20?? Speicialized Secteur; 201? Trek Excalibre Bafung coverted; 20?? Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Enjoy your ride. You deserve it :-)
Re: Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)
Did you do CPAP and then stop? I'm pushing 70, stubborningly a bit over my BMI, use the hose and am not enamored. The medical/industrial complex seems to believe that once a CPAP always a CPAP. I would like to resist.
OldBrokeReCycle is offline  
Old 10-18-21, 12:14 PM
  #5  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,337
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14510 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,904 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but last month, while on a two-week, unsupported bike tour, I just happened to run into co-author Chris Crowley on the Harlem Valley Trail in Copake, NY. He's now '87 and still riding a drop bar road bike.


indyfabz is offline  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-20-21, 08:25 PM
  #6  
gobicycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I mentioned this in another thread, but last month, while on a two-week, unsupported bike tour, I just happened to run into co-author Chris Crowley on the Harlem Valley Trail in Copake, NY. He's now '87 and still riding a drop bar road bike.


My wife and I are in one of the editions of that book

Last edited by gobicycling; 10-20-21 at 08:29 PM.
gobicycling is offline  
Old 10-21-21, 04:25 AM
  #7  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 32,337
Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14510 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,904 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
My wife and I are in one of the editions of that book
Neat. The meeting was completely fortuitous. I was camping at Taconic State Park during a tour. The entrance is right next to a bike trail and the old freight station that is now a store/cafe.

Set up camp and rode down to the store for brews and a paper. There was a rider talking to a small group of riders outside the store. I the solo rider tell the group about a book he had written, mentioning the title. I couldn’t believe it. None of the group had heard of it. I butted in and said I read it some 15 years ago.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 10-27-21, 03:35 PM
  #8  
gif4445
Senior Member
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 534

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
Next month I will be 82yo. About 40-50% of high school friends are no longer with us. I put together a listing of all the "ailments" I have accumulated and are pretty much still with me, one way or another. The funny thing is that not one of these affects my performance, daily activities nor just "living." I attribute many of these (but not all) to having lived a pretty stressful life, raising two children with profound disabilities - which meant - 60 years ago, fighting for services which were not available, finding money to pay (worked three jobs), many illnesses and near-death situations, and a whole lot of other stress factors, and, perhaps, not finding out about and treating my blood pressure early enough. Both stress and HBP are killers. Anyway, I bicycle, swim, walk, stretch, do resistance exercises, etc. daily. Several items on the list are simply aging. Not much one can do about them. But, my blood work on annual physical is totally within normal range. Well, here is the list:

White Matter disease
Cataracts (treated)
Dry eye disease
Lower eyelid doesn’t close well (needs surgery)
Glaucoma (treating)
Skin Cancer (treated)
Trigeminal Neuralgia, first treated by drugs, then Micro Vascular Decompression then drugs then 2 Gamma Knifes, resulting in total numbness of right side of face, eye, teeth, but marked reduction of intolerable pain of TN
Hearing going
Dysphasia
Corrected Atrial Fibrillation, now normal
Left Anterior Fascicular Block
L4-L5 Fusion
Dendriform Pulmonary Ossification
Pulmonary Hypertension (mild)
Extreme sensitivity to Carrageenan
Bunions
Right shoulder separation, Type II
High Blood Pressure (treated - generally 120/80 or less
Mild Sleep Apnea (weight loss and it is mostly gone)
How did the L4-L5 fusion treat you? I've got an MRI scheduled for next month, with special attention on the L5-S1.
gif4445 is offline  
Old 10-27-21, 08:19 PM
  #9  
gobicycling
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445 View Post
How did the L4-L5 fusion treat you? I've got an MRI scheduled for next month, with special attention on the L5-S1.
The surgeon is all important. My wife's a retired nurse, and can tell you horror stories about certain surgeons, and others are great. Check them out carefully through references, ask operating room nurses and mostly important ask physical therapists. They know who is good and who is not. A friend of ours was butchered by a surgeon who had two cases of malpractice against him in another state. She did not check the medical board website to see what charges have been made against the surgeon she had.
As far as the fusion, I had a great surgeon and it went well. I also had a great physical therapist and was riding my mountain bike on the street/paths in 18 days. I still have to be careful and stretch everyday, which I do religiously. Second opinions are always called for.
gobicycling is offline  
Old 10-31-21, 06:38 PM
  #10  
gif4445
Senior Member
 
gif4445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kearney NE
Posts: 534

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling View Post
The surgeon is all important. My wife's a retired nurse, and can tell you horror stories about certain surgeons, and others are great. Check them out carefully through references, ask operating room nurses and mostly important ask physical therapists. They know who is good and who is not. A friend of ours was butchered by a surgeon who had two cases of malpractice against him in another state. She did not check the medical board website to see what charges have been made against the surgeon she had.
As far as the fusion, I had a great surgeon and it went well. I also had a great physical therapist and was riding my mountain bike on the street/paths in 18 days. I still have to be careful and stretch everyday, which I do religiously. Second opinions are always called for.
Thanks for the reply. No matter what is found on the MRI, I anticipate doing quite a little homework before the next step.
gif4445 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.