Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Good bye, bikes??

Old 01-21-23, 08:44 AM
  #1  
car5car
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
car5car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 206

Bikes: Dead Mongoose XR100, Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Good bye, bikes??

Moderators, please delete the thread.

Last edited by car5car; 01-27-23 at 04:11 PM.
car5car is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 09:19 AM
  #2  
Trakhak
Senior Member
 
Trakhak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 3,828
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 911 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
Last couple weeks I had horrible back pain, (I am 63, getting better now). X-ray shows almost non-existent one of discs.
If I ever ride a bike, it will be full suspension.
Discs are going down w/o any signs until it is really bad. Nobody gets X-rays until it is too late.
Sorry for negative thread. Just trying to help(???)
I suggest getting X-ray of lower back to evaluate condition and then make decisions based on pictures.
X-ray pics also show condition of butt joints cartilage.
I used to work out almost every day: resistance and running.
As long as you're fit enough and not much over your healthy weight, cycling (in a leaned-over position that gently stretches your spine, relieving pressure on the discs) might be one of the few exercises available to you that would be safe and comfortable for your back.

I traumatized some discs in my lower back many years ago---and then did it again, very painfully, a couple of months ago. This time, I could barely move, let alone walk, for the first couple of weeks.

But once I was able to hobble around, I went back to riding my bike. That became a largely pain-free oasis during days that were otherwise not much fun. I'm almost completely recovered now, and I suspect that riding the bike helped my recovery.

Possibly relevant: all my bikes are set up with clamp-on aero bars, so I tend to ride in a flatter-backed position than most people. May have helped, doesn't seem to have hurt.
Trakhak is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 09:49 AM
  #3  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,890

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 521 Posts
Try some Vitamin B-12 for Pain.
It works for me.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-21-23, 10:09 AM
  #4  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,805

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 598 Posts
If you want to continue to cycle there is probably a solution to your back problem that many people have found that works. But Im not allowed to use the word ********* on this forum. Maybe some one else could.
rydabent is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:23 AM
  #5  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,868

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,145 Posts
Click on this: Any old guys here doing strength training?

It's never too late.

Start doing 3 X 30 at the gym (3 sets of 30 reps, all sets same weight in each exercise), in this order: barbell squats (full depth), seated rows, back extensions, leg sled, bench press, one-legged calf raises (unweighted), plank, stiff-legged deadlift, lat pull-downs. Do that for a full year, twice a week, gradually increasing the weights. If the 45# barbell is too heavy for 30 reps, start with unweighted squats, then do goblet squats with a dumbbell.

The next year, decrease reps to 20, adding weight. After that, you'll be good to do anything you want in the gym. It's a slow process, but that's the whole idea - and it works. Consistency is everything. Really, you don't want to be using a walker in a few years.

The standard road bike position, back at about 45, is a good position for the spine. Though riding won't make your spine any stronger, it will strengthen your back muscles. Holding the spine in column is most of the battle and that requires strong back muscles.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:39 AM
  #6  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,895

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8991 Post(s)
Liked 4,914 Times in 2,622 Posts
Spine imaging does not correlate very well with symptomatology, except when there is specific nerve root or spinal cord involvement. I would venture a guess that virtually everyone reading this has some lumbar spine degeneration. To take an admittedly extreme example, my spine looks absolutely horrible and I ride 14 hrs a week (with 4 of drop) and no pain. By contrast, of many people with mild or minimal changes on imaging are crippled with very real back pain. I saw countless numbers of them as a neurology resident.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:42 AM
  #7  
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon
 
Polaris OBark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1419 Post(s)
Liked 2,108 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
If you want to continue to cycle there is probably a solution to your back problem that many people have found that works. But Im not allowed to use the word ********* on this forum. Maybe some one else could.
A recumbent might be an ideal solution in this case.

(I hope you are making a joke. If you are genuinely being prevented from using the word "recumbent", that solution is vastly worse than any problem you created that it was designed to solve.)
Polaris OBark is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 11:46 AM
  #8  
zandoval 
Senior Member
 
zandoval's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bastrop Texas
Posts: 3,659

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 660 Posts
X-Ray Meh... You can have horrible back pain and nothing wrong on X-Ray!

Look man... This is the time ya get to really build your own bike. There are so many things you can do. Raise or lower your bars and seat. Change out your bars, go recumbent. One of the first things you can try is ridding a "Belgianese" style commuter bicycle. If I had seen the way my bicycle is currently set up for my ridding 50 years ago I would have laughed.

" Improvise, Adapt, Overcome " Have... Fun, Fun, FUN!
__________________
No matter where your at... There you are... Δf:=f(1/2)-f(-1/2)
zandoval is offline  
Old 01-21-23, 12:12 PM
  #9  
gobicycling
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
Last couple weeks I had horrible back pain, (I am 63, getting better now). X-ray shows almost non-existent one of discs.
If I ever ride a bike, it will be full suspension.
Discs are going down w/o any signs until it is really bad. Nobody gets X-rays until it is too late.
Sorry for negative thread. Just trying to help(???)
I suggest getting X-ray of lower back to evaluate condition and then make decisions based on pictures.
X-ray pics also show condition of butt joints cartilage.
I used to work out almost every day: resistance and running.
One of my better docs told me "I don't treat xrays. I treat symptoms.".
And you need good strong back muscles to hold the spine together.
gobicycling is offline  
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 01-21-23, 02:36 PM
  #10  
davester
Senior Member
 
davester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 2,374

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 384 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Spine imaging does not correlate very well with symptomatology, except when there is specific nerve root or spinal cord involvement. I would venture a guess that virtually everyone reading this has some lumbar spine degeneration. To take an admittedly extreme example, my spine looks absolutely horrible and I ride 14 hrs a week (with 4 of drop) and no pain. By contrast, of many people with mild or minimal changes on imaging are crippled with very real back pain. I saw countless numbers of them as a neurology resident.
<br /><br /><br />That's also what I've heard from my orthopedic doc and chiropractor. I would say that your "make decisions based on X-rays" statement is the exact opposite of what I've heard should be the best approach. Most older people's back X-rays show all sorts of "problems" that don't actually cause any problematic symptoms and can therefore be ignored. Perhaps you would be better off seeing a physical therapist or chiropractor. Have you gone that route yet?
davester is offline  
Likes For davester:
Old 01-21-23, 03:48 PM
  #11  
cb400bill
Humble Administrator
 
cb400bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 20,762

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR gravel Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2866 Post(s)
Liked 5,125 Times in 3,038 Posts
Thread moved to 50+ P&I.
__________________
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Fenders protect you from tire splatter. Mudguards protect you from tyre splatter.







cb400bill is offline  
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-21-23, 07:52 PM
  #12  
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling
 
Carbonfiberboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 18,868

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3572 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by davester View Post
<br /><br /><br />That's also what I've heard from my orthopedic doc and chiropractor. I would say that your "make decisions based on X-rays" statement is the exact opposite of what I've heard should be the best approach. Most older people's back X-rays show all sorts of "problems" that don't actually cause any problematic symptoms and can therefore be ignored. Perhaps you would be better off seeing a physical therapist or chiropractor. Have you gone that route yet?
So true. If I'd done that, I'd have just crawled into a hole. Not happening, nope. IME when I feel pain somewhere, I work that area. So far that's always fixed it. Mammalian bodies are really resilient. We have seen a 3-legged beaver around here for years. We had to put up a chicken wire fence to keep him from destroying our fern garden.

That said, my torn meniscus needed surgery. I almost had to drag one leg behind me on our 10-day backpack that year - the backpack didn't help. After the backpack, I kinda had to get up on my doctor's desk to get an MRI and a diagnosis so I could get it fixed. He couldn't believe I could possibly have a torn meniscus. My doctor says the time to go in for back surgery is when you can't walk anymore - because you might not be able to walk after the back surgery either.
__________________
Results matter
Carbonfiberboy is offline  
Likes For Carbonfiberboy:
Old 01-23-23, 10:07 AM
  #13  
car5car
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
car5car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 206

Bikes: Dead Mongoose XR100, Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
del

Last edited by car5car; 01-27-23 at 03:02 AM.
car5car is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 10:02 AM
  #14  
boozergut
Full Member
 
boozergut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 410

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/@GentleYogaandWellness
boozergut is offline  
Old 01-24-23, 12:08 PM
  #15  
TiHabanero
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,998
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 527 Posts
Bulging disc and no disc left are two very different problems with two very different solutions. Bulging discs can be "reformed" into cooperation with certain stretches and exercises, and those items are individual specific, not one size fits all. No disc material left in the cavity is not fixed by the former solution that I am aware of. Consult the doc.

Disclaimer: I bulged 3 discs in the lower back in my late twenties. Have managed the pain and disability with consistent application of specific stretches and exercises. FWIW, yoga caused issues so I only use a two poses in my stretching routine. i do lift weights that do not stress the lower back, and i also do crunches, but limited to 20 per day and I have to be very aware of how I do them, form is of essence.
TiHabanero is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 09:26 AM
  #16  
MoAlpha
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 10,895

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8991 Post(s)
Liked 4,914 Times in 2,622 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
Bulging disc and no disc left are two very different problems with two very different solutions. Bulging discs can be "reformed" into cooperation with certain stretches and exercises, and those items are individual specific, not one size fits all. No disc material left in the cavity is not fixed by the former solution that I am aware of. Consult the doc.

Disclaimer: I bulged 3 discs in the lower back in my late twenties. Have managed the pain and disability with consistent application of specific stretches and exercises. FWIW, yoga caused issues so I only use a two poses in my stretching routine. i do lift weights that do not stress the lower back, and i also do crunches, but limited to 20 per day and I have to be very aware of how I do them, form is of essence.
"No disc left" generally solves itself over time by auto-fusion.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 11:48 AM
  #17  
Leisesturm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,400
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by car5car View Post
Thanks for all responses. I am getting better, still waiting for physical therapy insurance approval. I used to sell 75lb. Jeep cylinder heads on ebay, I am done. Not sure about bikes, we'll see.
My 81 Schwinn Le tour is for sale. NE FL.
Doesn't appear that you have heard a single word of anything anyone has said to you. Why did you ask? Oh, sorry, you were just ranting. But help??? How are you helping? I don't want, or need to be infected with your defeatism. I am speculating, but I doubt I would lose a lot of money betting that you are several tens of pounds over the line and you have never done a single plank in your life. Why wouldn't your back hurt? When my wife hurt her back years ago, her PT put her on a Plank regimen. So I started doing them with her. Mostly to be supportive. But now neither of us need to be convinced. Planks and other Core (abdominal exercises) are known to be very effective in the treatment of back problems. I haven't seen any mention of core strengthening exercises (till now) in this thread. They are key, in my opinion, to getting to the bottom of any problem involving the back except possibly an accident or other trauma. Even then, I would at least try and address the Core, especially if like most of us, we have never paid any particular attention to maintaining core strength.
Leisesturm is offline  
Old 01-25-23, 01:59 PM
  #18  
car5car
Full Member
Thread Starter
 
car5car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 206

Bikes: Dead Mongoose XR100, Roadmaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...fgprpwrtwrxmec

Last edited by car5car; 01-27-23 at 03:04 AM.
car5car is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.