Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Good way to watch the TdF without cable.

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Good way to watch the TdF without cable.

Old 07-03-15, 05:52 AM
  #1  
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
Thread Starter
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,874

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8399 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 972 Posts
Good way to watch the TdF without cable.

I don't have cable and do all my watching on the computer or cell phone.

I need a way to watch the TdF, but don't want live streaming since I can't watch it until later in the day and I would like to go back and watch a stage that happened a couple of days ago, if I feel the need. Is there an application that I can purchase for my computer or even cellphone to do this this year? The NBC says live streaming, but I don't know if I can go back to stages if I want.

What do y'all recommend?
RJM is offline  
Old 07-03-15, 06:07 AM
  #2  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,322

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 244 Posts
You couldn't pay me to watch NBC's cable feed.

NBC normally in the past has had as-live coverage...of course they want you to pay through the nose for it...and their website has historically been best summarized as utter crap.

Eurosport when you subscribe has the last 60km as live available streamed for 5-7 days after the stage...even after you pay for a VPN provider, and the Eurosport subscript itself you're not paying much more for an entire year's worth of Eurosport than what NBC wants for one cycling event.

Cyclingtorrents.nl can also hook you up.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 07-03-15, 06:49 AM
  #3  
DLBroox
Senior Member
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 969

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Tour app for iPad and iPhone has always been good. Has live video and then late in the day repeats of the entire stages available throughout the race. It's been 15 U.S., but this year it's 20. But I'm a cable cutter and have used it the last three years and will buy it again. You can also AirPlay to an Apple TV.

Oh, and no commercials.
DLBroox is offline  
Old 07-03-15, 06:57 AM
  #4  
texbiker
Senior Member
 
texbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 916

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SLX, Blue Norcorss AL, Lynskey R300

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 32 Posts
After the end of the stage search yourtube for it. EuroSport video of the last 10 to 25 k is usually there. Also these websites have video after the stage: steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage and The Guide to Cycling Live Race Coverage - Streaming, Videos, Streams, Photos, Results - Watch Cycling TV Online - CF LIVE | www.cyclingfans.com
texbiker is offline  
Old 07-05-15, 12:57 AM
  #5  
icyclist 
Spin Meister
 
icyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,644

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
I purchased and enjoyed the NBC app two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the app and the tour. I have it again this year. Day 1 was terrific and I watched the stage hours after it concluded when I awoke at a normal hour in California. A $20 fee for use on my tablet and cell phone seems reasonable.

It's also available separately for laptop and desktop computers. And YouTube pits up plenty of video a few hours after each stage.
__________________
This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.
icyclist is offline  
Old 07-05-15, 06:55 AM
  #6  
tyCycler
Noob
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 35

Bikes: Gravel: 2018 Specialized Diverge Expert. Road: Trek 2013 Domane Di2, 2006 Specialized Roubaix Pro (retired), MTB: 2014 Trek Fuel EX8 29er, Folder: Dahon Mu P24

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the android NBC TDF app ($20) and it works well on the nexus 7 (2013 model) and Samsung G4 phone so far.

If you want to spend a little time, you can download AMIDuOS (an android emulator with 30 day free trial) that runs on a PC. I'm using it with a windows 8 64 bit desktop (with VT enabled in the BIOS) and it works reasonably well with some occasional audio/video dropouts. The advantage for PC occasional usage is better sound and larger video compared to the 7 inch tablet.

Bluestacks emulator also runs the NBC TDF app but shows no video and frequently garbled sound.

I was unable to download the TDF app for the Genymotion emulator (says incompatible) so if anyone is successful, I'm curious which preset device was used.

Also, steephill.tv has working links to live video with eurosport but the video quality is not as good as the TDF app.

Last edited by tyCycler; 07-05-15 at 07:01 AM.
tyCycler is offline  
Old 07-05-15, 09:29 AM
  #7  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
HD, free, no commercials, pick a feed (Eurosport, SBS), every bike race of the year:

Browse :: CyclingTorrents.nl V.2.0.0
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 07-05-15, 04:01 PM
  #8  
Athens80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist View Post
I purchased and enjoyed the NBC app two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the app and the tour. I have it again this year. Day 1 was terrific and I watched the stage hours after it concluded when I awoke at a normal hour in California. A $20 fee for use on my tablet and cell phone seems reasonable.

It's also available separately for laptop and desktop computers. And YouTube pits up plenty of video a few hours after each stage.
+1
$20 for 20-something days of hi-def live and on-demand coverage at many hours per day is okay, though (surprisingly) I'd rather pay less. It's a niche event so they're not spreading their fixed costs across millions of viewers.

Real wish list:
- Mirroring to Roku, Chromestick, Fire Stick, etc. On iOS, and I think on Android as well, you can send the video to Apple TV but not the other popular boxes. I don't have Apple TV and don't plan to.
- More navigation controls: forward 30 seconds, back 30 seconds, go to time x:xx, etc. Maybe even go to kilometer xyz.

And to further the comment: the iOS app is one fee for whatever device your Apple ID is active on, as long as you install the NBC 2015 TdF app on the device with your ID, as far as I can tell.
Athens80 is offline  
Old 07-06-15, 11:53 PM
  #9  
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Posts: 15,396
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
I don't have cable and do all my watching on the computer or cell phone.

I need a way to watch the TdF, but don't want live streaming since I can't watch it until later in the day and I would like to go back and watch a stage that happened a couple of days ago, if I feel the need. Is there an application that I can purchase for my computer or even cellphone to do this this year? The NBC says live streaming, but I don't know if I can go back to stages if I want.

What do y'all recommend?
There's an app for that: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stee...788429986?mt=8
__________________
cat 1.

my race videos
mattm is offline  
Old 07-08-15, 09:50 AM
  #10  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
I just bought the premium web app for NBCSN - I like it on my computer but I can't get it to play on my smart TV... apparently my TV doesn't support flash? Anybody know of a workaround?
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-08-15, 10:05 AM
  #11  
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.
Thread Starter
 
RJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,874

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8399 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 972 Posts
I am using a HDMI cable to go from the computer to the tv and it seems to be working great. Do you have the ability to do that?
RJM is offline  
Old 07-08-15, 10:12 AM
  #12  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM View Post
I am using a HDMI cable to go from the computer to the tv and it seems to be working great. Do you have the ability to do that?
Hmmm, no, I could... but I'd need about a 60-foot cable... I don't have a laptop.

I wish there were a Roku channel that'd do this for me.



ETA: Broadening my searches a little bit, I find that this is a common problem with no solution. There was one site that saves a program on a flash drive that you can plug into your TV that will allow the TV to play flash videos... but it looks sketchy.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 07-08-15 at 11:16 AM.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-09-15, 10:39 PM
  #13  
Handelfan
Senior Member
 
Handelfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SLO County, CA
Posts: 136

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the NBC app too - and I can send my screen to my TV via my Roku. Or if I'm lazy, I'll grab my phone and stay right there in bed.
Handelfan is offline  
Old 07-09-15, 11:31 PM
  #14  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Handelfan View Post
I use the NBC app too - and I can send my screen to my TV via my Roku. Or if I'm lazy, I'll grab my phone and stay right there in bed.
I didnt think about that, but you mustve bought the 'device' app vs the web app.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-09-15, 11:40 PM
  #15  
Handelfan
Senior Member
 
Handelfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SLO County, CA
Posts: 136

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup.
Handelfan is offline  
Old 07-10-15, 05:48 AM
  #16  
Athens80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Handelfan View Post
I use the NBC app too - and I can send my screen to my TV via my Roku. Or if I'm lazy, I'll grab my phone and stay right there in bed.
You paid $19.99 for the NBC Sports Tour de France 2015 app from the Apple app store for your iPhone or iPad or the Google Play store for your Android phone or tablet and the app will send the 2015 Tour video, live video or replay video later on demand, to your Roku device?

Or do you have a subscription to NBC Sports and you're using the NBC Sports app?
Athens80 is offline  
Old 07-10-15, 08:45 AM
  #17  
Handelfan
Senior Member
 
Handelfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SLO County, CA
Posts: 136

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
You paid $19.99 for the NBC Sports Tour de France 2015 app from the Apple app store for your iPhone or iPad or the Google Play store for your Android phone or tablet and the app will send the 2015 Tour video, live video or replay video later on demand, to your Roku device?

Or do you have a subscription to NBC Sports and you're using the NBC Sports app?
Neither. I bought the $19.99 app for android, and I send the screen via "miracast" on my LG G4 to my Roku. On my Samsung Galaxy S4 it was called "screen mirroring". It doesn't require a Roku channel to operate.

Unfortunately, if you're using an Apple product, the only way to do the same thing is via Apple TV, I think.
Handelfan is offline  
Old 07-10-15, 11:44 AM
  #18  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
I think I need to just buy a cheap used laptop to use as a dedicated feed and do the HDMI cable thing.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-11-15, 09:50 PM
  #19  
5kdad
Senior Member
 
5kdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northwest Arkansas
Posts: 433

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Agree.
5kdad is offline  
Old 07-13-15, 11:47 AM
  #20  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I think I need to just buy a cheap used laptop to use as a dedicated feed and do the HDMI cable thing.
Originally Posted by 5kdad View Post
Agree.
Done! $120 for a used laptop with Win7 and Wifi. Now I have a Roku, a Wii, a CD player, and a laptop hooked up to my TV with no cable or dish.

Had to connect an audio cord as well as the HDMI but no problem. I just leave the laptop on, but in "projector" mode and it's hardly noticeable in the TV cabinet, then I use the TV screen as a monitor. I kind of miss my remote control though... have to stand at the laptop to select the different options but there's a lot of content in there.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-13-15, 02:46 PM
  #21  
SpeshulEd 
Senior Member
 
SpeshulEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,089
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
Done! $120 for a used laptop with Win7 and Wifi. Now I have a Roku, a Wii, a CD player, and a laptop hooked up to my TV with no cable or dish.

Had to connect an audio cord as well as the HDMI but no problem. I just leave the laptop on, but in "projector" mode and it's hardly noticeable in the TV cabinet, then I use the TV screen as a monitor. I kind of miss my remote control though... have to stand at the laptop to select the different options but there's a lot of content in there.
If you don't mind dropping another $20, I'd suggest something like this...I use this on my little android box that I use to stream to the television. Touchpad mouse works pretty well, and the typing is simple enough when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-I8-Wireles...tv+%28Black%29
__________________
Hey guys, lets go play bikes! Strava

SpeshulEd is offline  
Old 07-13-15, 03:17 PM
  #22  
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Posts: 9,135

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd View Post
If you don't mind dropping another $20, I'd suggest something like this...I use this on my little android box that I use to stream to the television. Touchpad mouse works pretty well, and the typing is simple enough when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-I8-Wireles...tv+%28Black%29
Thanks, that is cool - I didn't know such things existed. I'll still have to get up to type though because my eyes aren't good enough to read the screen from the couch.
DiabloScott is offline  
Old 07-13-15, 03:28 PM
  #23  
fietsbob
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Posts: 43,599

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 822 Posts
With Beers at the local watering hole, they have the HDTV big flat screen, mine @ home, is an Old CRT.
fietsbob is offline  
Old 07-14-15, 04:46 PM
  #24  
Mike_Kelly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
cyclingfans.com
Mike_Kelly is offline  
Old 07-18-15, 04:34 PM
  #25  
Laggard
Lance Hater
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80 View Post
+1

Real wish list:
- Mirroring to Roku, Chromestick, Fire Stick, etc. On iOS, and I think on Android as well, you can send the video to Apple TV but not the other popular boxes. I don't have Apple TV and don't plan to.
- More navigation controls: forward 30 seconds, back 30 seconds, go to time x:xx, etc. Maybe even go to kilometer xyz.
Yep. I won't watch several hours of racing on my phone or my laptop.
Laggard is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
TrojanHorse
Road Cycling
28
06-16-18 11:24 PM
velociraptor
Professional Cycling For the Fans
1
08-18-16 12:20 PM
jyl
Professional Cycling For the Fans
5
10-07-14 08:01 PM
bikerjp
Road Cycling
11
07-11-13 03:45 PM
shortnsalty
Road Cycling
14
05-09-13 05:23 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.