Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Am I the only one.

Old 07-17-17, 01:43 PM
  #1  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one.

I have watched every minute of this TDF and I have become a big fan of Uran. Seems I am the only one, do not hear much about him in the coverage. He is 29 seconds down and has looked unchallenged to me. I think he will beat Aru and maybe Bardet, not sure if he could challenge Froome because A. he is Froome and B. the strength of Team Sky, but I have to say he looks strong.

I am saying after stage 17 he is 2nd or 3rd overall. TT will be a challenge but the small climb may give him a chance to even out a bit.

Last edited by copperfind; 07-22-17 at 09:43 AM.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 02:08 PM
  #2  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,598

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6601 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 963 Posts
Team Manager Jonathan Vaughters complained that he was like Voldemort to the press---no one dared say his name.

Barguil, Bardet, and Uran have been real treats ... but Uran really does seem to be invisible.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 02:12 PM
  #3  
MikeOK
Yo
 
MikeOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ozark Mountains
Posts: 1,610

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes I noticed that too. They hardly ever mention him. But then again from watching this years and past tours I can't tell you who the second place finisher was in any of them.
MikeOK is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 03:38 PM
  #4  
Leo59
Senior Member
 
Leo59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 51

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pulling for him.
Leo59 is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 04:03 PM
  #5  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK View Post
Yes I noticed that too. They hardly ever mention him. But then again from watching this years and past tours I can't tell you who the second place finisher was in any of them.
LOL great point
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 09:28 PM
  #6  
Pibevalderrama
Junior Member
 
Pibevalderrama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: La Plata
Posts: 24

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster 10, 2016 Giant SCR2, 2016 Peugeot X01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the only one, I'm the second!!!!!!
Rigo is hidden, almost invisible, waiting to attack in the final TT.
Beware of him, Aru, Bardet... and why not Chris**********
Pibevalderrama is offline  
Old 07-17-17, 10:34 PM
  #7  
StanPark
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree the commentators are not giving Rigoberto enough attention, but I have no doubt Team Sky is watching him. I feel that just like with Aru, had there been better support teams for these two riders, there might actually be hope for them. Team Sky budget is tripple what Astana and Cannondale are combined, how do you fight such a monster with one guy?!

Huge kudos to both Rigo and Fabio for being less than half a minute behind No1. I am rooting for both.
StanPark is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 11:24 AM
  #8  
Stratocaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 702

Bikes: 2015 CAAD 10; 2016 Felt Z85

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I also like Uran. I'm a Cannondale guy, so...
Stratocaster is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 12:54 PM
  #9  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think tomorrow is the day he gives it a go... be could if he could find a way to put a minute on the rest before the TT.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 01:31 PM
  #10  
cycledogg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Stratocaster View Post
I also like Uran. I'm a Cannondale guy, so...
Ditto
cycledogg is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 03:36 PM
  #11  
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Posts: 4,220

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
According to Taylor Phinney, Uran is so chill he makes Phinney look hyper.

Plus they named him twice...like the band.
__________________

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline  
Old 07-18-17, 10:16 PM
  #12  
StanPark
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dprayvd View Post
Yo, que voy a saber, Guevon?

Context here. *SpeedMetalCycling Podcast, the 19:15 minute mark*
This was hillarious. I was ROFLMAO. Thanks for posting. I am a much bigger Uran fan now.
StanPark is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 08:08 AM
  #13  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here it comes base of the Col du Galibier... Aru will attack Bardet, Froome and Uran will kick as pace kicks up Uran will counter and seperate from the group, Froome will chase but fail about 3/4 towards the top... Uran goes over the top 1:20 away. Wishful maybe but thats the way it happens in my head.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 09:33 AM
  #14  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay so not the way I predicted it but guess what, Froome, Uran, Bardet on the podium now... Uphill finish tomorrow to Izoard looks like it could be in Urans favor, he has been the strongest on the last three uphill finishes. Still think he could have grabbed time today, he looks that good.

Last edited by copperfind; 07-19-17 at 09:43 AM.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 09:42 AM
  #15  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay just have to say its sad that it took to stage 18 and Uran climbing in to 2nd before US Tv coverage started talking about Uran an American Sponsored team and a South American... Just sad.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 09:54 AM
  #16  
Maelochs
Senior Member
 
Maelochs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,598

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6601 Post(s)
Liked 1,767 Times in 963 Posts
It is a mystery .... I think ti is because (maybe) he has been following more than attacking. very smart riding, but not flashy for TV.

I also don't think he had anything for Froome today. He is going to have to go crazy tomorrow ... and Froome will be waiting for it ... and Froome can loose a minute and be fine.
Maelochs is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 10:02 AM
  #17  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
It is a mystery .... I think ti is because (maybe) he has been following more than attacking. very smart riding, but not flashy for TV.

I also don't think he had anything for Froome today. He is going to have to go crazy tomorrow ... and Froome will be waiting for it ... and Froome can loose a minute and be fine.
I dont know I think he had a few watts left in him, Froome is a monster but Uran can TT pretty well. If he could find himself over 30 seconds going to the TT he may have a chance... Of course that means he has to first find a way to get that 30 seconds on a monster rider on a monster team.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 10:34 AM
  #18  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,728
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by copperfind View Post
Okay so not the way I predicted it but guess what, Froome, Uran, Bardet on the podium now... Uphill finish tomorrow to Izoard looks like it could be in Urans favor, he has been the strongest on the last three uphill finishes. Still think he could have grabbed time today, he looks that good.
He did gain 2 sec on Froome w/ 2nd place time bonus
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 10:34 AM
  #19  
HardyWeinberg
GATC
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: south Puget Sound
Posts: 8,728
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by copperfind View Post
Okay just have to say its sad that it took to stage 18 and Uran climbing in to 2nd before US Tv coverage started talking about Uran an American Sponsored team and a South American... Just sad.
Too busy swooning over Our Boys Over There, Talansky Phinney Brown
HardyWeinberg is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 10:38 AM
  #20  
one4smoke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,169

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 218 Posts
I'm pulling for Uran also, being the Cannondale team has the only American riders in the Tour. Nate Brown seems to be the best American prospect for the future.
one4smoke is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 10:45 AM
  #21  
Kevindale
Senior Member
 
Kevindale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,684

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
As others have mentioned, he's been riding a smart and low-key race. Much less drama than the other teams and most other key riders. I've admired how relentless he's been, and how calm. His stage win is to me one of the most amazing things about this tour. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's stage. Unfortunately, I think the other riders are all too aware of him now, and just as Aru was a marked man today, I think they'll be marking Uran tomorrow.

And yes, it's great to see Nate Brown doing well. I'm not sure he has that alpha male/killer instinct to take it to the next level, but he's a first class guy and a credit to the sport.
Kevindale is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 11:35 AM
  #22  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale View Post
As others have mentioned, he's been riding a smart and low-key race. Much less drama than the other teams and most other key riders. I've admired how relentless he's been, and how calm. His stage win is to me one of the most amazing things about this tour. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's stage. Unfortunately, I think the other riders are all too aware of him now, and just as Aru was a marked man today, I think they'll be marking Uran tomorrow.

And yes, it's great to see Nate Brown doing well. I'm not sure he has that alpha male/killer instinct to take it to the next level, but he's a first class guy and a credit to the sport.
Agreed on all points... Though I do think Uran has the strongest legs of the GC contenders right now. Mark a guy all you want if he is stronger than you it wont matter... Brown really showed today he may be the future of US racing.

All and all best TDF in years for me.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 02:58 PM
  #23  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by copperfind View Post
Agreed on all points... Though I do think Uran has the strongest legs of the GC contenders right now. Mark a guy all you want if he is stronger than you it wont matter... Brown really showed today he may be the future of US racing.

All and all best TDF in years for me.
I too am really enjoying the TdF this year. In part due to how well they set up the stages. A terrific mix.

There is a lot of fuss about Uran. Keep in mind, in spite of his skill, he will never be a popular cyclist because his name is too close to Iran which is poorly received throughout the world. So, he should change his name if he wants greater public acceptance.

On a last note about the tour and today's stage. Marcel Kittel. One of the most dominant sprinters in years with of course famous genes and hair from his father Max Headroom. And today due to crash and fatigue he had to retire. Top of the world beating the best repeatedly one day and then beat down, injured and dropped the next. A cruel game.

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-19-17 at 03:05 PM.
Campag4life is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 03:32 PM
  #24  
copperfind
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 255

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Facet 105 Equipped, Centurion Carbon-R 105 Equipped,Diamondback Zetec 2.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life View Post
I too am really enjoying the TdF this year. In part due to how well they set up the stages. A terrific mix.

There is a lot of fuss about Uran. Keep in mind, in spite of his skill, he will never be a popular cyclist because his name is too close to Iran which is poorly received throughout the world. So, he should change his name if he wants greater public acceptance.

On a last note about the tour and today's stage. Marcel Kittel. One of the most dominant sprinters in years with of course famous genes and hair from his father Max Headroom. And today due to crash and fatigue he had to retire. Top of the world beating the best repeatedly one day and then beat down, injured and dropped the next. A cruel game.
I think the fact that Kittel was beat down before today and saw that he had a slim chance of hanging on to the green jersey had more than he will admit and the crash was just the final straw or EZ way out.
copperfind is offline  
Old 07-19-17, 04:51 PM
  #25  
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry
 
Campag4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,572
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by copperfind View Post
I think the fact that Kittel was beat down before today and saw that he had a slim chance of hanging on to the green jersey had more than he will admit and the crash was just the final straw or EZ way out.
Agree. The climbs plus being hurt but no doubt the climbs took so much out of him.
Just goes to show...an incredible sprinter like Kittel...as great as his sprinting prowess, he likely struggles the most in the mountains. No free lunch. No rider has it all. Just like pure climbers are notorious for being the worse sprinters. Clearly a GC event like the TdF favors an all around rider who can climb and pull of a decent TT like Froome. Pure sprinters like Kittel who excel in flat stages get crushed in the mountains. His greatest strength is his greatest weakness. Next in line for the green Mathews simply can climb better than Kittel.

Last edited by Campag4life; 07-19-17 at 04:54 PM.
Campag4life is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.