Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

NBC Gold Cycling Pass is going to Peacock Premium

Old 06-22-21, 10:26 AM
  #26  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
I had started a trial Peacock subscription on my iPhone, but canceled it since there seemed to be no way to stream from the phone to the TV. Then last night, the Peacock app suddenly became available right on my Samsung smart TV. I checked out it's sports offerings and was please to find Tour d France coverage starting with Stage 1 on June 26. Meaybe I'll get to watch this year's Tour after all.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-22-21, 11:35 AM
  #27  
jimmyodonnell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 131

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
NBC would sue Discovery Channel into oblivion--and would win. Discovery owns Eurosport. That is right--all this could be avoided if Discovery just aired Eurosport on this continent to start with--they choose not to.
NBC has held the US rights for the ASO races since before Discovery acquired Eurosport / GCN.
When the current deal comes up for renewal, maybe Discovery will bid for the US rights.
jimmyodonnell is offline  
Old 06-22-21, 01:51 PM
  #28  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
Thread Starter
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,309

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,325 Posts
This article from back in January https://www.velonews.com/news/road/r...er-after-2021/

suggests that NBC owns exclusive US broadcasting rights through 2023. So I'll be interested to see what happens in 2022. Certainly either NBC will lock up it's hold on more years of broadcast rights by then or some other entity will get them.

Wonder who controls who gets the broadcast rights of the TdF, the ASO?

As far as I've found out for the 2021 TdF, most will be on NBCSN with one or two days on NBC.

If it's not there, it's not a big deal. I have alternate ways to watch it. And apparently others have that figured out too.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-22-21 at 02:00 PM.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-22-21, 07:32 PM
  #29  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell View Post
NBC has held the US rights for the ASO races since before Discovery acquired Eurosport / GCN.
When the current deal comes up for renewal, maybe Discovery will bid for the US rights.
The point I was making is Discovery doesn't even bother running a sports channel in the USA. Just crappy pseudo science and reality TV. If they did, I'd think ASO would rather not get in bed with NBC for how much they make their product unwatchable and unmarketable.

Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
This article from back in January https://www.velonews.com/news/road/r...er-after-2021/

suggests that NBC owns exclusive US broadcasting rights through 2023. So I'll be interested to see what happens in 2022. Certainly either NBC will lock up it's hold on more years of broadcast rights by then or some other entity will get them.

Wonder who controls who gets the broadcast rights of the TdF, the ASO?

As far as I've found out for the 2021 TdF, most will be on NBCSN with one or two days on NBC.

If it's not there, it's not a big deal. I have alternate ways to watch it. And apparently others have that figured out too.
ASO organized the TdF, the Paris-Nice, the Volta, the Vuelta and a few others. ASO basically is those races.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 06-23-21, 02:32 PM
  #30  
Ed Wiser
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 277
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
GCN is carrying the tour in other countries. I am use they will try for it next time it is up for bid’s. I think the ASO went with NBC for more exposure. Than say a streaming platform. But streaming is the thing now and the TDF has been moved to Peacock so might be better on a cycling specific platform.
Ed Wiser is offline  
Old 06-24-21, 11:47 AM
  #31  
dstrong 
Senior Member
 
dstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Awesome, Austin, TX
Posts: 4,204

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I signed up for Peacock this morning. After doing so, I received an e-mail with the subject: Welcome to the flock. I immediately thought "I bet that's not right", so I looked it up: "The San Diego Zoo states that a group of peafowl is called an ostentation or a pride." Sometimes also called a "Party". My confidence that Peacock can provide excellent streaming of the TdF is low.
__________________

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

dstrong is offline  
Likes For dstrong:
Old 06-24-21, 11:51 AM
  #32  
Snotrub
Senior Member
 
Snotrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 147

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
I signed up for Peacock this morning. After doing so, I received an e-mail with the subject: Welcome to the flock. I immediately thought "I bet that's not right", so I looked it up: "The San Diego Zoo states that a group of peafowl is called an ostentation or a pride." Sometimes also called a "Party". My confidence that Peacock can provide excellent streaming of the TdF is low.

Awesome!!!
Snotrub is offline  
Old 06-24-21, 04:38 PM
  #33  
Marcus_Ti 
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 5,331

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong View Post
I signed up for Peacock this morning. After doing so, I received an e-mail with the subject: Welcome to the flock. I immediately thought "I bet that's not right", so I looked it up: "The San Diego Zoo states that a group of peafowl is called an ostentation or a pride." Sometimes also called a "Party". My confidence that Peacock can provide excellent streaming of the TdF is low.
I can just imagine Bob Roll murdering the pronunciation of 'flock' like he does Tooor day frans
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 06-25-21, 07:17 AM
  #34  
EddyR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Locust NC
Posts: 636

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale R900 1992, Cannondale R900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I watched both tours on Peacock last year with no trouble. They did replay also after race was over. I watched the non commercial version . Some times they skipped the first one third of race on very long days.
ed
EddyR is offline  
Old 06-25-21, 09:04 AM
  #35  
Snotrub
Senior Member
 
Snotrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Texas
Posts: 147

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti View Post
I can just imagine Bob Roll murdering the pronunciation of 'flock' like he does Tooor day frans
I miss that version of Bobke. Unfiltered and unrefined. I remember him referring to the Dutch along side the roads as "Schmegmies". He had a unapologetic disdain for the French, which I'm sure he still does, but doesn't express it as freely as he once did. I wish the old Bobke would appear in the broadcast every now and then.
Snotrub is offline  
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 06-25-21, 02:02 PM
  #36  
bmcer
Senior Member
 
bmcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 406

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
Does anyone know if Peacock will provide replays of stages after they are run? I don't fancy being up at 3:00 AM local time to watch the live broadcast.
bmcer is offline  
Likes For bmcer:
Old 06-25-21, 04:06 PM
  #37  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
Thread Starter
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,309

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,325 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Does anyone know if Peacock will provide replays of stages after they are run? I don't fancy being up at 3:00 AM local time to watch the live broadcast.
I think that's the main purpose of Peacock, to let you stream NBC content when you want to view it.

As for the TdF and the Vuelta, I just plan to DVR the NBCSN broadcast and watch that at my leisure. Even though Peacock say cancel anytime, I just don't want the hassle. And my wife prefers the NBCSN feed anyhow instead of the other feeds NBC Gold use to do with other commentators.

Though I will miss the mapping and profile that Gold had showing where the groups and individual cyclists are on the route for the current playback position the video is at. But I think Peacock keeps that functionality too if you watch on a PC or Mac with a browser to view the stream. It had issues at times, but when it worked correctly it was nice to have.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-26-21, 05:41 AM
  #38  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,521

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
We happen to have Comcast as our ISP, and we had Roku boxes. So I could sign up for and get Peacock without having to pay anything extra. I happen to have Peacock on this morning (I was watching the finish of the women's race before the start of the mens race at 6:00AM).

The coverage on Peacock is different from NBCSN. A couple of important differences - first there is a different set of commentators. No Phil/Bob. I didn't catch who we actually are getting.

Secondly *NO* commercials. None whatsoever. It used to be that I would program the DVR and start watching about an hour in just so I had a buffer to skip over as the commercials come up - no need for that.
ericy is offline  
Likes For ericy:
Old 06-26-21, 05:55 AM
  #39  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,521

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
We are getting Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan on Peacock.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/sta...901592068?s=20

Not a lot of fancy graphics or virtual reality - mainly just the official feed from French TV, with rider interviews sprinkled in every once in a while.
ericy is offline  
Likes For ericy:
Old 06-26-21, 02:12 PM
  #40  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
Thread Starter
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 8,309

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91, '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3275 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 1,325 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
We are getting Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan on Peacock.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/sta...901592068?s=20

Not a lot of fancy graphics or virtual reality - mainly just the official feed from French TV, with rider interviews sprinkled in every once in a while.
Try streaming to a browser on your PC or Macbook. Go to where ever the Peacock site is and then find the TdF stage you wish to watch, live or replay.

If it's like the former NBC Gold Cycling pass, then the video will cover about 75% of your display and there'll be various types of other useful data and feeds at the right and bottom of the screen. It was neat when it work correctly. But for some reason they never added that functionality to the apps I used to watch on the TV.

Yes the commercial free feeds were not the same commentators as the commercial version. Sometimes I'd watch the NBC Gold feed on my Mac, and the NBCSN commercial feed on the TV at the same time. Some times one or the other will have more interesting commentary.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 06-26-21, 04:50 PM
  #41  
ericy
Señor Member
 
ericy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rehoboth Beach, DE
Posts: 1,521

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
Try streaming to a browser on your PC or Macbook. Go to where ever the Peacock site is and then find the TdF stage you wish to watch, live or replay.

If it's like the former NBC Gold Cycling pass, then the video will cover about 75% of your display and there'll be various types of other useful data and feeds at the right and bottom of the screen. It was neat when it work correctly. But for some reason they never added that functionality to the apps I used to watch on the TV.

Yes the commercial free feeds were not the same commentators as the commercial version. Sometimes I'd watch the NBC Gold feed on my Mac, and the NBCSN commercial feed on the TV at the same time. Some times one or the other will have more interesting commentary.
No, none of that. Just the video feed. Most of the time the only graphics are the things in the upper left that show distance remaining and the gaps (if any).
ericy is offline  
Old 06-26-21, 06:30 PM
  #42  
GrainBrain
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 2,058

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy View Post
We are getting Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan on Peacock.

https://twitter.com/simongerrans/sta...901592068?s=20

Not a lot of fancy graphics or virtual reality - mainly just the official feed from French TV, with rider interviews sprinkled in every once in a while.
I bought a month of Peacock premium just for these two. Sorry GCN but these two have a great chemistry and Simon provides good insight. I did like Robbie McEwen as well when he worked with McCrossan. I feel like these two commentate more on "the moment" in any particular part of the race while the GCN guys get a little detached from it.
GrainBrain is offline  
Likes For GrainBrain:
Old 06-26-21, 09:08 PM
  #43  
EddyR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Locust NC
Posts: 636

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale R900 1992, Cannondale R900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Like i mentioned above they have a replay to watch any time you want. I use Roku to set it up. Perfect on my tv.😍
EddyR is offline  
Likes For EddyR:
Old 06-26-21, 11:51 PM
  #44  
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan are good, however, nothing replaces Phil Leggitt and Bob Roll in my opinion and NBCSN did a good job in explaining the race to more casual viewers.

I signed up for Peacock also, $5 plus I now get the WWE network. I wonder how much Olympic coverage it will have, hopefully good coverage of indoor cycling.
gpsblake is offline  
Old 06-26-21, 11:57 PM
  #45  
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider
 
gpsblake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,060
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell View Post
NBC has held the US rights for the ASO races since before Discovery acquired Eurosport / GCN.
When the current deal comes up for renewal, maybe Discovery will bid for the US rights.
If I were Fox Sports (FS1 or FS2), I would bid for it, that sports network has struggled since day one. Without NBCSN though, I think the TDF isn't going to get as much for it. when the rights renew. so someone could scoop it for the cheap.
gpsblake is offline  
Old 06-27-21, 06:43 AM
  #46  
EddyR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Locust NC
Posts: 636

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale R900 1992, Cannondale R900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Phil and Bob are slill there if you want to put up with commercials. Just look in the sports and then cycling . Then pick which group of announcers you want to watch. I run both groups at same time on two devices
eddyR
EddyR is offline  
Old 06-27-21, 06:08 PM
  #47  
lytleric
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch replays of the NBCSN feed? With the NBC Cycling Pass, I used to be able to watch the replays when I could find the time. I've subscribed to Peacock, and I can view the replays, but was surprised to find out (as previously mentioned) it is not Phil and Bob (or Paul, Christian, and Chris). So if I want to watch with Phil and Bob as I've grown accustomed to and fond of, is my only option to watch it live? Seems like a bum deal if that's case. Why'd NBC have to ruin a good thing? I hope I'm wrong.
lytleric is offline  
Old 06-27-21, 07:51 PM
  #48  
DLBroox
Senior Member
 
DLBroox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 973

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Mu Uno, Origami Wasp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan are good, however, nothing replaces Phil Leggitt and Bob Roll in my opinion and NBCSN did a good job in explaining the race to more casual viewers.

I signed up for Peacock also, $5 plus I now get the WWE network. I wonder how much Olympic coverage it will have, hopefully good coverage of indoor cycling.
I loved Phil and Paul. They were the voice of my summer. Then I grew to really like Robbie and Mathew. These two guys on Peacock are good but not as amusing. But watching with no commercials is really nice. Every time I switch to NbcSn it’s a commercial. So I’ll get used to Simon and his mate because it’s a better experience when you actually just want to watch the race.
DLBroox is offline  
Old 06-28-21, 05:15 AM
  #49  
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD / metro DC
Posts: 2,163

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 180 Posts
I've been watching on GCN c/o VPN but will inevitably get Peacock at some point just to hear Phil wander through the commentary.

It seems EddyR confirms what I expected: there is the Phil, Bob, & commercials NBC-ish glossy feed, and the bare bones Ant & Simon commercial free. Similar to recent pre-Peacock years. Does anyone else second that?

It also seems Peacock's navigation to the A/B feed choice is a bit elusive. Similar to PCS's choice between the routine 5 star game and the complex DSish thing.
slcbob is offline  
Old 06-28-21, 07:28 AM
  #50  
bikecrate
Senior Member
 
bikecrate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: LF, APMAT
Posts: 2,657
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 254 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by lytleric View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to watch replays of the NBCSN feed? With the NBC Cycling Pass, I used to be able to watch the replays when I could find the time. I've subscribed to Peacock, and I can view the replays, but was surprised to find out (as previously mentioned) it is not Phil and Bob (or Paul, Christian, and Chris). So if I want to watch with Phil and Bob as I've grown accustomed to and fond of, is my only option to watch it live? Seems like a bum deal if that's case. Why'd NBC have to ruin a good thing? I hope I'm wrong.
Unless I missed something, it looks like the live stream is the NBC version, but the replays are the Simon Gerranns and Anthony McCrossan version. I'm a bit annoyed at this too. I want the goofiness of the U.S. broadcast.
bikecrate is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.