Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Should Remco Evenepoel be a One-Day or Stage Racing Specialist?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Should Remco Evenepoel be a One-Day or Stage Racing Specialist?

Old 09-09-22, 07:39 PM
  #26  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,466

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
He is the greatest cyclist since Lance. I think better than Eddie.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-09-22, 08:27 PM
  #27  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
as long as he's not better than eddy...
diphthong is offline  
Likes For diphthong:
Old 09-17-22, 08:51 PM
  #28  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,466

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
as long as he's not better than eddy...
Eddie sanctioned 3 (?) or more for the dope stuff while a pro.
Lance 0.
Remco 0.
So far.
Not that I care, but it should count in the score.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-17-22, 09:58 PM
  #29  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Eddie sanctioned 3 (?) or more for the dope stuff while a pro.
Lance 0.
Remco 0.
So far.
Not that I care, but it should count in the score.
we both know the athletes are a half-step, or more, ahead of the testers-regardless of the professional sport. i've just assumed every athlete is pushing the envelope, legally or otherwise, in the last four decades.
doesn't diminish my enjoyment of various sports. when someone gets outed/caught/compromised, it's not a surprise or disappointment for me. then again...it's just entertainment for me. dunno how many "fans" fall into my
trench vs other trenches. still waiting for the other operation puerto shoe to drop on the football guys...but since we're talking billions of dollars involved on the football end, haven't been holding my breath
for nearly two decades on that front.

sky is the limit for remco. other than mixing it up with the sprinters (maybe i missed it), dude is capable of anything. his only limitation is the team format and their needs/wants vs his.
kinda like the old joke about dean smith being the only guy that could hold michael jordan to less than 20 points a game.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-17-22 at 10:34 PM.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-18-22, 11:11 AM
  #30  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,466

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
we both know the athletes are a half-step, or more, ahead of the testers-regardless of the professional sport. i've just assumed every athlete is pushing the envelope, legally or otherwise, in the last four decades.
doesn't diminish my enjoyment of various sports. when someone gets outed/caught/compromised, it's not a surprise or disappointment for me. then again...it's just entertainment for me. dunno how many "fans" fall into my
trench vs other trenches. still waiting for the other operation puerto shoe to drop on the football guys...but since we're talking billions of dollars involved on the football end, haven't been holding my breath
for nearly two decades on that front.

sky is the limit for remco. other than mixing it up with the sprinters (maybe i missed it), dude is capable of anything. his only limitation is the team format and their needs/wants vs his.
kinda like the old joke about dean smith being the only guy that could hold michael jordan to less than 20 points a game.
I fall into your "trench". I spent about 10 years as a youth and adult soccer official. I liked the philosophy that players should just do what they needed to do to win and leave the rest to the refs.
In soccer, when the game was over, the game was over. If later video or other proof showed something was not seen or called, they don't go back and change it. See Maradona Hand of God goal. He later admitted he used his hand to score the goal. That goal stands. A World Cup affected by that.

That cycling can't do the same is a disappointment.
The entertainment part of sports, especially cycling extends beyond what happens in races.
A pro getting caught for something is not the same to me as one who didn't. That can be anything from drugs, to violence, to gambling, to injury outside the competition. It all "counts".

That Eddie got caught is why I don't see him better than those that were not caught.

FWIW I believe that Sastra and Evans really won their tours clean. The current maybe so, maybe not. Like you, I don't really care other than wanting the results frozen on that final podium.
Doge is offline  
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-25-22, 12:31 AM
  #31  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
it would appear the answer is los dos todos along with whatever the bleep he feels like doing that day.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-25-22 at 12:36 AM.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 02:24 AM
  #32  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I fall into your "trench". I spent about 10 years as a youth and adult soccer official. I liked the philosophy that players should just do what they needed to do to win and leave the rest to the refs.
In soccer, when the game was over, the game was over. If later video or other proof showed something was not seen or called, they don't go back and change it. See Maradona Hand of God goal. He later admitted he used his hand to score the goal. That goal stands. A World Cup affected by that.

That cycling can't do the same is a disappointment.
The entertainment part of sports, especially cycling extends beyond what happens in races.
A pro getting caught for something is not the same to me as one who didn't. That can be anything from drugs, to violence, to gambling, to injury outside the competition. It all "counts".

That Eddie got caught is why I don't see him better than those that were not caught.

FWIW I believe that Sastra and Evans really won their tours clean. The current maybe so, maybe not. Like you, I don't really care other than wanting the results frozen on that final podium.
in agreement with your sastre and cuddles assessment. and now i really miss playing the greatest game at a decent level. grrrr.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-25-22 at 02:37 AM.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 03:27 AM
  #33  
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD / metro DC
Posts: 2,795

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
it would appear the answer is los dos todos along with whatever the bleep he feels like doing that day.
Quite a year for the young lad.
And he's going to tie the knot this winter.
New Skittles spokesman? Taste the rainbow.
slcbob is offline  
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-25-22, 03:41 AM
  #34  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
Quite a year for the young lad.
And he's going to tie the knot this winter.
New Skittles spokesman? Taste the rainbow.
just fearsome. holy bleep. between he and wva?! what is not possible?! no...really?
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 05:57 AM
  #35  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,431

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 2,679 Times in 1,632 Posts
So the answer to the thread title is.....

AND
MinnMan is offline  
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-25-22, 06:42 AM
  #36  
GrainBrain
Senior Member
 
GrainBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Central Io-way
Posts: 2,625

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
So the answer to the thread title is.....

AND
Not quite - it's missing TT specialist

How can he not go to the Tour next year?
GrainBrain is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 02:30 PM
  #37  
one4smoke
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Nashville, TN.
Posts: 2,176

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
just fearsome. holy bleep. between he and wva?! what is not possible?! no...really?
With the obvious edge to Wout in sprinting, and to Remco in climbing.
one4smoke is offline  
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 09-25-22, 04:04 PM
  #38  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
With the obvious edge to Wout in sprinting, and to Remco in climbing.
didnít wout win the mont ventoux stage of the tdf recently? not exactly a flattish sprinter stage. if wout werenít always dragging those overpaid/underperforming vingegaard and roglic up insane ascents, methinx heíd hold his own vs remco. the new world champ hasnít been playing the super dommie role like wva has.

remco likes to do those long breakaways tho. great to watch.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-25-22, 11:38 PM
  #39  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,431

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 2,679 Times in 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
just fearsome. holy bleep. between he and wva?! what is not possible?! no...really?
Afterwards, they said that th plan was for Remco to make along-range attack. If the attack didn't stick, WVA would get a free ride from the other chasers, and then go for the sprint finish.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 12:44 AM
  #40  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Afterwards, they said that th plan was for Remco to make along-range attack. If the attack didn't stick, WVA would get a free ride from the other chasers, and then go for the sprint finish.
had a feeling that's what they were going to do and it worked to near perfection. thought remco might give it a go with 40-50 kms left like he did in the recent san sebastian klasikoa but the peloton was approx 2 mins back at the time. altho remco ended up going a little later, the peloton never got much closer.

i will admit to enjoying watching the big names like wva, tadej, remco going out on the attack from long range. occasionally backfires
(see pogacar 2022 tdf) but is exciting nonetheless. a refreshing change from the main guys seemingly only going in the last three to five kms
(especially uphill) for the last two decades. the young punks are racing to win vs racing not to lose.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-26-22 at 12:50 AM.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 01:03 AM
  #41  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
what i'd like to know is this...if the worlds had been a little earlier, would remco have stayed in la vuelta or used it as training for the worlds?
he got to do/win both with the way the schedule this year worked out but that's not always the case. missed the itt win by just 9+ seconds as well.

anyone ever win both worlds-the itt and men's road race-in the same year? goal for next year?
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 06:56 AM
  #42  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 5,431

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 2,679 Times in 1,632 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
what i'd like to know is this...if the worlds had been a little earlier, would remco have stayed in la vuelta or used it as training for the worlds?
he got to do/win both with the way the schedule this year worked out but that's not always the case. missed the itt win by just 9+ seconds as well.

anyone ever win both worlds-the itt and men's road race-in the same year? goal for next year?
I do think that Remco had a leg up on those who didn't race the Vuelta. His form was better.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 09:59 AM
  #43  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,466

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
... i really miss playing the greatest game at a decent level. grrrr.
The new WC was quite a soccer player and also not a bad runner.
Doge is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 08:08 PM
  #44  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,466

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i[snip]... and now i really miss playing the greatest game at a decent level. grrrr.
You go me on the soccer thing. He was super elite in soccer (football, association football, whatever) as a junior. I learned from one of my kid's soccer coaches that you can make more on the bench in Europe than starting in USA and more than 90% of the cyclist out there. Maybe 98% of the cyclist out there even if you never play and just sit.
At the level he was, I think he may have taken a pay cut to be at / near the top of cycling over just doing soccer and not being that known. Hard call.
Doge is offline  
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-26-22, 09:28 PM
  #45  
79pmooney
Senior Member
 
79pmooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,188

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 3,410 Times in 2,208 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
what i'd like to know is this...if the worlds had been a little earlier, would remco have stayed in la vuelta or used it as training for the worlds?
he got to do/win both with the way the schedule this year worked out but that's not always the case. missed the itt win by just 9+ seconds as well.

anyone ever win both worlds-the itt and men's road race-in the same year? goal for next year?
Eddy Merckx won the WC road race, the Tour and that little "off-brand" TT they call the Hour Record in one year, Does that count?
79pmooney is offline  
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-26-22, 10:30 PM
  #46  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Eddy Merckx won the WC road race, the Tour and that little "off-brand" TT they call the Hour Record in one year, Does that count?
yes and no. thought someone might know offhand. perhaps a pre-merckxian rider like a van looy, koblet or anquetil or coppi, et al. i'll research it one of these sleepless or overly bored nights.
diphthong is offline  
Old 09-26-22, 10:36 PM
  #47  
diphthong
Senior Member
 
diphthong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: insane diego, california
Posts: 8,140

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,588 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
You go me on the soccer thing. He was super elite in soccer (football, association football, whatever) as a junior. I learned from one of my kid's soccer coaches that you can make more on the bench in Europe than starting in USA and more than 90% of the cyclist out there. Maybe 98% of the cyclist out there even if you never play and just sit.
At the level he was, I think he may have taken a pay cut to be at / near the top of cycling over just doing soccer and not being that known. Hard call.
when we get a little closer, will probably post a pick your world cup bracket for the groups all the way to the finals for giggles. should be fun. it will be in the "lounge" foo forum so everyone's been properly disclosed/warned.

Last edited by diphthong; 09-26-22 at 10:41 PM.
diphthong is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.