Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Would they take away the TdF win?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Would they take away the TdF win?

Old 07-27-06, 07:22 AM
  #1  
cbip
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 343

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You heard it here first-Landis Guilty

Well at least it appears that way.
He wins a Crit on Tuesday, the announcment comes out that some "high placed rider" failed a test for testosterone, he then no shows at a Wednesday event. He also no shows at a Thursday event. Neither event was notified of his withdrawing. The only word is from his teams riders who say he went to see his doctor.
The guy sure seems like he is guilty to me. He is exhibiting all the signs of a guilty person. Sudden change in habits and personality, removing himself and those close to him from public scrutiny, next we will hear from his attorney about unsubstaniated claims.
If he is proved to be the guilty one, this will be the death blow to many of the cycling fans world wide. And if its not, it should be.
cbip is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:31 AM
  #2  
merlinextraligh
pan y agua
 
merlinextraligh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 30,775

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 139 Posts
I think your argument may prove too much. Assuming its not a positive test for suspension purposes until the B sample comes back (an assumption I'm not sure about) it would be stupid for Landis to withdraw from the crits if he were the postive A sample. If you intended to contest the positive, the rational behavior is business as usual, and hope like hell the B sample comes back negative, or they botch the process somehow. Then, by procedure your positive A is never publically disclosed, and it all blows over.

Because people will draw the inference that you're making is precisely the reason you don't withdraw if it is in fact you that had the positive A sample.
merlinextraligh is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:39 AM
  #3  
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku
 
SingleSpeeDemon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Not where I want to be.
Posts: 2,005

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Landis's hip is messed up-that's why he withdrew. He's no good to race and his winning le Tour was a feat that requires strength and will that almost no one posesses. Maybe I'm blind, but I gotta believe.
SingleSpeeDemon is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:41 AM
  #4  
HWS
Fuji Shill
 
HWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WPAFB, OH
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He just won the most grueling competition in pro sports with a bum hip. I think he's entitled to miss a crit or two. That and he has an appointment with Leno tomorrow.

Jeez.
__________________
HWS is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:46 AM
  #5  
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass
 
Smoothie104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Georgia
Posts: 3,263

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
appearence fees for post TdF races are around 60,000 Euros. So its a big paycheck he's passing up, but then again, Floyd never seemed to be racing for the money anyways.

I've heard it was not testo. but a stimluant of some sort, and someone "high up" in the GC. I have also heard its "the worst possible scenario"

All the Major Countries Ferderations have said they were not contacted, yet the UCI claims to have contacted the riders federation, so someone is lying, as usual.

This sucks.

https://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2341
__________________
"You should already be aware that riding with people who steer with their elbows, stick food to the top tube of their frames and ride around in dick togs is not a great idea." -- Classic1
Smoothie104 is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:48 AM
  #6  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,636

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by cbip
Well at least it appears that way.
He wins a Crit on Tuesday, the announcment comes out that some "high placed rider" failed a test for testosterone, he then no shows at a Wednesday event. He also no shows at a Thursday event. Neither event was notified of his withdrawing. The only word is from his teams riders who say he went to see his doctor.
The guy sure seems like he is guilty to me. He is exhibiting all the signs of a guilty person. Sudden change in habits and personality, removing himself and those close to him from public scrutiny, next we will hear from his attorney about unsubstaniated claims.
If he is proved to be the guilty one, this will be the death blow to many of the cycling fans world wide. And if its not, it should be.
I hope you are wrong. When could we expect this inquiry to wrap up?

Last edited by georgiaboy; 07-27-06 at 08:18 AM.
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:50 AM
  #7  
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 4,599

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're hardly the first to speculate about it.

Anyway, it kind of doesn't add up; doesn't make sense that he'd pull out of races if he thought he was going to get caught as merlin said. The hip explanation makes some sense, as does the fact that he's slated to appear on Jay Leno. Also the USA Cycling federation has denied being contacted by the UCI; the initial news story said the rider's national federation had been contacted (see https://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...06/jul27news2).

It's certainly possible it is Floyd. But I kinda think it's not, at least not in this case. Who knows, maybe he was doping and just avoided detection, though -- that's *always* possible. "Not getting caught" is not the same as "not cheating"...likely that half of the ProTour peloton is, and just not getting caught.
'nother is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:52 AM
  #8  
cbip
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 343

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HWS
He just won the most grueling competition in pro sports with a bum hip. I think he's entitled to miss a crit or two. That and he has an appointment with Leno tomorrow.

Jeez.
yes I agree.But you have to admit its not like him to not show up or give a reason for missing an event. If their is one thing I have admired about the guy, it is his straight up honest behavoir, and he all of a sudden is acting differently, which is one thing guilty people do.
I personally hope it is not him! I really like the guy and up to now think he is the most likable and real person in cycling. Seems like the kind off guy that would be fun to hang out with.
cbip is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:54 AM
  #9  
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless
 
Dead Extra #2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Posts: 905

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know anything about this site or the accuracy of this quote but I found it interesting. Smoothie, you seem to follow this stuff, have you seen this quote before?

-------------------------------------------------------
As five-time Tour champion Jacques Anquetil said in response to all the handwringing, "You'd have to be an imbecile or a hypocrite to imagine that a professional cyclist who rides 235 days a year can hold himself together without stimulants."
-------------------------------------------------------

source: https://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20060724&s=diarist072406
Dead Extra #2 is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 07:59 AM
  #10  
High Cadence
Ride, baby...RIDE!
 
High Cadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kodiak, Alaska
Posts: 67

Bikes: Specialized, Bringheli, Bianchi, Trek, Rocky Mountain, Kona, Burley, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow...so absolutely NO facts whatsoever, yet you are hanging him high.

Nice.
High Cadence is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:04 AM
  #11  
HWS
Fuji Shill
 
HWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WPAFB, OH
Posts: 1,230

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbip
yes I agree.But you have to admit its not like him to not show up or give a reason for missing an event. If their is one thing I have admired about the guy, it is his straight up honest behavoir, and he all of a sudden is acting differently, which is one thing guilty people do.
I personally hope it is not him! I really like the guy and up to now think he is the most likable and real person in cycling. Seems like the kind off guy that would be fun to hang out with.
You're hearing the grumblings of a disgruntled race organizer. There are potentially hundreds of reasons he didn't show. His people have already said it's due to his hip.

I'm a Phloyd Phan myself and really wish this cat hadn't been let out of the bag until all of the facts could be released.
__________________
HWS is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:08 AM
  #12  
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
__________________
EURO is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:14 AM
  #13  
High Cadence
Ride, baby...RIDE!
 
High Cadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kodiak, Alaska
Posts: 67

Bikes: Specialized, Bringheli, Bianchi, Trek, Rocky Mountain, Kona, Burley, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
Didn't you learn your lesson on being so quick to judge during the tour, you dufus??

Once again...I hope you are wrong...so I can laugh some more...
High Cadence is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:14 AM
  #14  
cbip
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 343

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High Cadence
Wow...so absolutely NO facts whatsoever, yet you are hanging him high.

Nice.
I do have facts. The changes in behavoir and the lack of response from the associated parties. I dont want it to be him, but the evidence in right now sure starts to point his direction.
cbip is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:17 AM
  #15  
GGDub
Dog is my copilot.
 
GGDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 802

Bikes: Lemond Maillot Jaune, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Jake the Snake, Single-Speed Rigid Rocky Mtn Equipe, Soon-to-be fixed Bianchi Brava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem,

Looks like it was Landis:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...l06/jul27news3
GGDub is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:18 AM
  #16  
cbip
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 343

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, all you who have so quickly jumped on me for bringing this up, swallow your pride and go to velonews/cyclingnews.
Any appoligies? huh anybody? Buehler......Buehler.
cbip is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:19 AM
  #17  
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer
 
'nother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 4,599

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
I have also heard its "the worst possible scenario"
I heard (read) this as well; both articles I've read quote Pat McQuaid on the Italian Tuttobici website, anyone have the URL for that site? I'm not familiar with it and could not locate it (ok maybe I'm the dope!).
'nother is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:24 AM
  #18  
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Posts: 1,636

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by GGDub
ugggh!

What are "endocrinological examinations"?
georgiaboy is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:24 AM
  #19  
traildragon
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aight...so what I don't understand is how a rider as smart as Floyd appears to be would take a banned substance, knowing full well that winners of stages are automatically tested, and then ride the stage of his life on 17. It doesn't make sense to commit career suicide like that.
traildragon is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:26 AM
  #20  
cbip
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 343

Bikes: Felt F2C, Fuji Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbip
By the way, all you who have so quickly jumped on me for bringing this up, swallow your pride and go to velonews/cyclingnews.
Any appoligies? huh anybody? Buehler......Buehler.


Boy, sure is silent in here.
cbip is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:28 AM
  #21  
Aaron Cormack
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/5221122.stm


They are all at it aren't they? It is a bigger circus than boxing.
Aaron Cormack is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:29 AM
  #22  
Dinstee
Senior Member
 
Dinstee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Memphis, TN USA
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Friggin Cuss!
Dinstee is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:31 AM
  #23  
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless
 
Dead Extra #2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Posts: 905

Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
ugggh!

What are "endocrinological examinations"?
Examination of your endocrine system, part of which is the organs that produce and regulate your "sex" hormones, testosterone etc.
Dead Extra #2 is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:32 AM
  #24  
Stallionforce
Senior Member
 
Stallionforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Victoria
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: 05 Norco CRR Team Carbon Dura Ace, 06 Cervelo P2C TT Dura Ace, 88 Olmo Steelie w. Campy Mirage, Cypress CX w. 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by traildragon
aight...so what I don't understand is how a rider as smart as Floyd appears to be would take a banned substance, knowing full well that winners of stages are automatically tested, and then ride the stage of his life on 17. It doesn't make sense to commit career suicide like that.
Because he was desperate, and humiliated. And because he was probably assured that the method of doping, rather than the substance itself, would make it undetectable. And because he's not a scientist, but a rider.
Stallionforce is offline  
Old 07-27-06, 08:33 AM
  #25  
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.
 
pathdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,002

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could it be random error during analysis of the sample? Could someone have unusually high levels of testosterone following exceptionally strenous exercise? Just wondering.
pathdoc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.