Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Decisions, Decisions, A New Trike?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Decisions, Decisions, A New Trike?

Old 03-01-09, 09:57 AM
  #1  
smithlp
Kitty Cat Pilot
Thread Starter
 
smithlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 5

Bikes: 2009 Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decisions, Decisions, A New Trike?

Hi
I am newbie to this Forum, and a newbie to Recumbent Trikes. I am amazed at how many Trikes there are to choose from. I went to the local bicycle shop and test rode a Sidewinder Sport Z and Terra Trike Path (small parking lot stuff), the Sidewinder was really cool, nimble easy to get on and off and foldable. My problem is my budget for a Trike is limited to a max of $1500.00 for everything, also the reviews I have read on Sidewinder indicate a high speed wobble on high speed downhill runs. If there are any Sidewinder owners on this Forum I would really appreciate your opinion on your Trike. Oh yea and anybody else to that wants to contribute to my decision on this purchase it would be greatly appreciated.
I am a recreational rider in Phoenix AZ not interested in the fastest, lightest, or most flashy. I am interested in comfort and ride-ability.

HELP! and Thanks!!!!!!!
smithlp
smithlp is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 11:29 AM
  #2  
countersTrike
Recumbent Trike
 
countersTrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 560

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe the TerraTrike Path is in the $9-something dollar range from the factory. The Sidewinder may seem great on a parking lot, but if choosing between the two; try both on a long downhill run! Best deal for me was buying used, so I could put them through "real world" tests.
countersTrike is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 12:12 PM
  #3  
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1500 is for the most part a pretty small budget for a trike. If you must have new, one of the actionbents is probably your best bet. They're heavy, and sometimes miss pieces out of the box that you have to call the supplier for, and must be assembled by you (or your tech) but I've known several people who like the trikes.

otherwise, I'd keep saving my pennies until I could get a good used trike. There's a deal on BROL that has two trikes for 3k - that's 1500 each. or, this ebay deal:

https://cgi.ebay.com/2004-Recumbent-C...3%3A1|294%3A50

good luck!
aikigreg is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 02:23 PM
  #4  
smithlp
Kitty Cat Pilot
Thread Starter
 
smithlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 5

Bikes: 2009 Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response

Thanks for the response.
I do understand that the ride in the parking lot is hardly a good test of the bike but the dealer was not really ready to let me take the bike for a longer ride.
As for my budget for a Trike I kinda gotta make due with what I have. Any suggestions on finding a good used trike would be appreciated. I have looked on a couple of Forums, Ebay and Craigslist for all the local areas.
Good info on the Action Bent. Heavy is really not important to me, I am a recreational exercise type rider not a go fast guy. The "Artifice 27-Speed Foldable Recumbent Tadpole Trike" is the one I think I will choose.

Thanks again for the response!!!!!!
smithlp is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 04:37 PM
  #5  
magna99
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actionbent or Trike-X are NOT heavy!

I have a Trice T and a QNT, they're high-dollar trikes which weigh 36 lbs give or take, before accessories. The ActionBent T1A (aluminum) weighs in at 38 lbs and is available on eBay for quite a bit under $1500 with free shipping, and is a fine trike, and a LOT less $$ than a Trice. The Actionbent T1 (chome-moly) is 4 lbs more, and identical in every other way.

If you would like a suspended trike (my recommendation), the Trike-X sold by RecumbentUSA (also on eBay) is also a nice machine, identical to the ActionBent T1X (currently not available) other than the mesh seat, and it weighs right at 40 lbs. These weights are pretty typical of most tadpole trikes unless you get into the very expensive carbon frames or high performance type setups. I have ridden both the T1X and the Trike-X, with both hardshell and mesh seats, and they're good-handling, fast and comfortable trikes. Do an eBay search on "recumbent trike".

Now if you wanna see heavy, take a look at Sun trikes! Some models are as heavy as 65 lbs....

Don't sell the Taiwanese trikes short....the only disadvantage to them is that you'll find it hard to find a dealer with them in stock, altho my local recumbent store carries them. If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy the ActionBent/RecunbentUSA trikes instead of spending the big $$ on the Trices, at least for a first-time purchase.

Dave
magna99 is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 05:44 PM
  #6  
Pockets
Senior Member
 
Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chula Vista Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: Rans V2-Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think your best bang for the buck would be the Actionbent Artifice. I was going to get it but after I test road a lot of trikes I ended up with a Catrike Expedition, it kind of picked me. No regrets but if I ever decide to get another trike I will look at the Artifice.
Pockets is offline  
Old 03-01-09, 08:21 PM
  #7  
smithlp
Kitty Cat Pilot
Thread Starter
 
smithlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 5

Bikes: 2009 Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
I think your best bang for the buck would be the Actionbent Artifice. I was going to get it but after I test road a lot of trikes I ended up with a Catrike Expedition, it kind of picked me. No regrets but if I ever decide to get another trike I will look at the Artifice.
Thanks for the response!!
I am really not interested in speed I live in Phoenix and I want to use the bike for exercise and just to get outside. I have been riding a recumbent exercise bike four times a week for the last couple of years now I think it's time to move my riding to the outdoors. Where did you go to do all the test rides? Is there a bike shop in San Diego area that rents Trikes? I have been looking at used. There is an old Cat in Craigslist in La Jolla but it looks like there is fair amount of rust and parts might be an issue.

Thanks Again for your opinion!
smithlp is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 08:16 AM
  #8  
ladybugrider
Get 'Bent & Enjoy!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Somewhere on Earth, I think
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I myself purchased as EX3 almost 2 years ago for $892 (with tax) & have not once been sorry. I only use it to go around town, so speed isn't a worry, although I have had it up to 25 MPH, my average speed is 15 & it's a heavy bike. That is also w/pulling my daughter in the trailer. It is a very heavy bike, esp with everything I added, panniers, lights, fenders, etc. The thing is since it's on wheels I don't really notice the weight. As far as uphills go, I would use my trike each time. The beauty of three wheels, is that when you get tired, you can just balance on the wheels until your ready to continue. At $892, I had plenty of money left over (from $1500) to all the things that I added.

My husband laughs at me and calls me Pee Wee Herman, but I don't regret buying it & call it my La-Z-Boy on wheels. If you aren't too worried about speed, look into the the Easy Racer Trikes - no doubt a great bang for your buck.
ladybugrider is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 09:20 AM
  #9  
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover
 
Ric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are looking for a used Trike you may want to also take a look at the Catrike board https://catrike.yuku.com/ they have a for sale section with some good buys..
Ric is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 05:13 PM
  #10  
Krankinstien
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a catrike speed 2004 for under your price and love it.
Krankinstien is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 06:50 PM
  #11  
Pockets
Senior Member
 
Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chula Vista Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: Rans V2-Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smithlp- The catrike in La Jolla is a 2001 road. It appears in good shape and the price is OK. The trike dealer I deal with is T-RYX in Escondido. All he sells is trikes I will post he website here:
https://www.t-ryx.com/t-ryx.htm . As far as I know there are no bike shops that rent bents. BTW the trike in La jolla was 950 OR BEST OFFER. Drop the person a line and see whats up
Pockets is offline  
Old 03-02-09, 07:58 PM
  #12  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,820

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by smithlp View Post
There is an old Cat in Craigslist in La Jolla but it looks like there is fair amount of rust and parts might be an issue.
I haven't been following this very closely because I'm not really a trike person, but Catrikes are aluminum so the frame, certainly, can't rust. I think the only things on it that could rust would be the chain and... well, that's about it! Maybe some superficial rust on some bolts, bottom bracket spindle, and cassette, too. That trike might just be a great deal if you can buy it 'ugly' and do a little work to clean it up.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 06:39 AM
  #13  
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover
 
Ric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smithlp View Post
Thanks for the response!!
I am really not interested in speed I live in Phoenix and I want to use the bike for exercise and just to get outside. I have been riding a recumbent exercise bike four times a week for the last couple of years now I think it's time to move my riding to the outdoors. Where did you go to do all the test rides? Is there a bike shop in San Diego area that rents Trikes? I have been looking at used. There is an old Cat in Craigslist in La Jolla but it looks like there is fair amount of rust and parts might be an issue.

Thanks Again for your opinion!
Some of the early Catrikes like the C2000 were made of 4130 chrome-moly so anything between 2000 and 2003 models could have some rust issues. There Aluminum models hit the Market in 2003 at the Las Vagas Interbike show with the Catrike Speed and from then on they all have been made from Aluminum. As I said before if your looking for a used trike, try the Catrike board. Those guys are always wanting to sell and upgrade there trikes. Another place you might want too look is Terra Trike, they have some good prices on a couple of there New trikes that are under $1500. The Path at $999 and Cruiser at $1499.
https://www.terratrike.com/

Last edited by Ric; 03-03-09 at 06:44 AM.
Ric is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 08:03 AM
  #14  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smithlp View Post
Hi
I am newbie to this Forum, and a newbie to Recumbent Trikes. I am amazed at how many Trikes there are to choose from. I went to the local bicycle shop and test rode a Sidewinder Sport Z and Terra Trike Path (small parking lot stuff), the Sidewinder was really cool, nimble easy to get on and off and foldable. My problem is my budget for a Trike is limited to a max of $1500.00 for everything, also the reviews I have read on Sidewinder indicate a high speed wobble on high speed downhill runs. If there are any Sidewinder owners on this Forum I would really appreciate your opinion on your Trike. Oh yea and anybody else to that wants to contribute to my decision on this purchase it would be greatly appreciated.
I am a recreational rider in Phoenix AZ not interested in the fastest, lightest, or most flashy. I am interested in comfort and ride-ability.

HELP! and Thanks!!!!!!!
smithlp

Im in the same position as you are.....You might want to look at KMX Trikes too
One thing I have to ask Trikers, how do those grip shift, SRAM things
hold up for you ? For me on a DF, they are strictly off limits. To be avoided at all costs.
Im thinking that because of the different seating position and a few other small
things, there might be a little less level of undesirability in a Trike application ?
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 03-03-09, 02:35 PM
  #15  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,820

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Ric. I didn't know that!
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 01:12 PM
  #16  
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover
 
Ric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
Im in the same position as you are.....You might want to look at KMX Trikes too
One thing I have to ask Trikers, how do those grip shift, SRAM things
hold up for you ? For me on a DF, they are strictly off limits. To be avoided at all costs.
Im thinking that because of the different seating position and a few other small
things, there might be a little less level of undesirability in a Trike application ?
I have Sram Rockets on the Strada and X9s on the Catrike Speed. The wife also has them on her Rans Formula. and have been using them since 2005 and have never had a problem with either. I don't think I would ever trade for Bar ends.
Ric is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 04:33 PM
  #17  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you , Ric !
The Catrike Speed is first on my list next to a QNT.
If I can get it in a Scion XB when I go up to look at them
I think it will be the one
Buy local
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 03-04-09, 05:18 PM
  #18  
Sainted
The Reader
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 6

Bikes: none

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi I'm new here to and have been searching the web Utah trikes websight has a lot of good reviews and articles to help you make a choice. I'm thinking of getting the Terratrike Path 8 from them with a few mods to use as a commuter it is only 4 miles to my work with one hill/bridge. Good luck on your search.
Sainted is offline  
Old 03-05-09, 10:57 AM
  #19  
smithlp
Kitty Cat Pilot
Thread Starter
 
smithlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 5

Bikes: 2009 Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the suggestions!!!!!!!!!

Well I have taken the leap I ordered a new Catrike Villager yesterday. I test rode the TT Cruiser and Catrike yesterday before I ordered the Catrike. Wow what a difference! To me the Catrike was more solid shifted better and stopped with very little brake steer. I ended up ordering from a Dealer in California (I live in Phoenix Arizona) The local dealer had a higher price ($50 more)and did not include the mirror or the flag and wanted $150 for the longer boom. The California dealer included the mirror (as stated on the manufactures website),flag and told me there would not be any charge to the get the longer boom. The tax and shipping were a wash.
So thanks again for all the response.
smithlp is offline  
Old 03-05-09, 11:00 AM
  #20  
smithlp
Kitty Cat Pilot
Thread Starter
 
smithlp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Posts: 5

Bikes: 2009 Catrike Villager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If at all possible test ride the Path 8 and Catrike Villager!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smithlp is offline  
Old 03-05-09, 11:26 AM
  #21  
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover
 
Ric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smithlp View Post
Well I have taken the leap I ordered a new Catrike Villager yesterday. I test rode the TT Cruiser and Catrike yesterday before I ordered the Catrike. Wow what a difference! To me the Catrike was more solid shifted better and stopped with very little brake steer. I ended up ordering from a Dealer in California (I live in Phoenix Arizona) The local dealer had a higher price ($50 more)and did not include the mirror or the flag and wanted $150 for the longer boom. The California dealer included the mirror (as stated on the manufactures website),flag and told me there would not be any charge to the get the longer boom. The tax and shipping were a wash.
So thanks again for all the response.
The big difference between the two and the reason Catrike feels more solid is because the Catrike is a solid one piece frame, no seat adjustments and I haven't checked but I'd guess the components are all better on the Catrike than the Path. You bought the better of the two trikes, you'll be real happy with the Catrike.
Ric is offline  
Old 03-09-09, 05:20 PM
  #22  
Pockets
Senior Member
 
Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chula Vista Ca
Posts: 110

Bikes: Rans V2-Catrike Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Villager

You will enjoy your new Cat- I have had my expedition for a little over one month now and have 526 miles on it. Great ride. It will probably become my primary ride.
Pockets is offline  
Old 03-11-09, 03:44 PM
  #23  
PurpleFender
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 358

Bikes: Giant Defy2, Soul Faith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Terra Trike Cruiser and have put around 700 miles on it and it's a decent machine. I think the brake steer is a little harsh on it and the kingpins that hold the steering knuckles to the frame have run out the bushings to where the wheels tilt from side to side (getting fixed at LBS) I think the componentry on it is bargain basement and the grip shifters are trash.

Other than that, it's been a blast! very fun, but slow. I have a hard time keeping up with DF bikers because I feel so heavy on this thing. It has Schwalbe marathon racers on it and that helped my speed a little, but it's just so heavy!

i'm going to save my pennies and get a Catrike 700 and then craigslist this cruiser.
PurpleFender is offline  
Old 03-11-09, 06:14 PM
  #24  
Ric
Strada, GTT2s, Hotmover
 
Ric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PurpleFender View Post
I have a Terra Trike Cruiser and have put around 700 miles on it and it's a decent machine. I think the brake steer is a little harsh on it and the kingpins that hold the steering knuckles to the frame have run out the bushings to where the wheels tilt from side to side (getting fixed at LBS) I think the componentry on it is bargain basement and the grip shifters are trash.

Other than that, it's been a blast! very fun, but slow. I have a hard time keeping up with DF bikers because I feel so heavy on this thing. It has Schwalbe marathon racers on it and that helped my speed a little, but it's just so heavy!

i'm going to save my pennies and get a Catrike 700 and then craigslist this cruiser.
The Catrike is a real good machine IMO but you may want to get some opinions from owners on the 700 before you purchase it. I don't know if it's true or not but some people are saying there getting a lot of flex in the rear wheel and aren't real happy about it. I'd make sure to test ride a 700 before purchase.
Ric is offline  
Old 03-11-09, 10:55 PM
  #25  
PurpleFender
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 358

Bikes: Giant Defy2, Soul Faith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've test-ridden a 700 and you can kinda hear the flex when you go around corners kinda fast. It was the machine that got me hooked on trikes in the first place. I really liked it, but I couldn't justify $2800 on something that was unknown to me at the time. Had I to do it all over again I would have skipped the Cruiser and gone straight for the good stuff, even if I would have been a fred doing it.
PurpleFender is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.