Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Ultegra 6870 issues

Old 05-17-15, 03:17 PM
  #1  
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ
Thread Starter
 
canuckcicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 43.6525° -79.381667°
Posts: 88

Bikes: penny farthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra 6870 issues

Picked up my new cervelo yesterday which is equipped with ultegra 6870 groupset. I went out on my ride this morning and the shifting was terrible. It was shifting two gears at a time or sometimes it would shift on gear then another a couple rotations of the crank later. Every gear that it stayed in was noisy and skipping. When I was on the trainer getting fit, I stupidly did not go through all the gears and did not notice the problem.

I put it on the bike on the stand and immediately noticed that it will only shift ten gears and will not go onto the eleven cog. I put it into adjustment mode and can make the fifth cog run smooth, but as soon as I put it into normal mode it's sloppy in all cogs but the fifth and still will not make the eleventh shift into the eleventh cog. Nothing happens when press the button like it's only ten cogs.

The shop is closed today and tomorrow is a stat holiday so I can't get it there until Tuesday evening. I was hoping I could maybe figure this out myself without having to take it back.

Shifters and derailleurs are Ultegra 6870. Cassette is Ultegra 11/28 11 speed. The crank is a Rotor 52/36. Low limit is adjusted so the chain doesn't shift into the spokes. High limit is completely backed off.

Any idea why it would behave this way?

Last edited by canuckcicle; 05-17-15 at 03:25 PM.
canuckcicle is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 03:18 PM
  #2  
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist
 
Dan333SP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: RVA
Posts: 9,030

Bikes: 2013 Madone 3.1

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5462 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I'm just here to congratulate you on a humorous thread title misspelling.
Dan333SP is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 03:22 PM
  #3  
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ
Thread Starter
 
canuckcicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 43.6525° -79.381667°
Posts: 88

Bikes: penny farthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol and I did it on an iPad
canuckcicle is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 04:36 PM
  #4  
Jiggle
Senior Member
 
Jiggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in TX
Posts: 2,269

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can help you with the shifting into the 11th cog but not on the other issues. I'd just take it back to the lbs and let them pull their hair out over it.
Jiggle is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 07:12 PM
  #5  
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N
 
dtrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Stafford, OR
Posts: 4,801
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check its motives...

Last edited by dtrain; 05-20-15 at 12:27 PM.
dtrain is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 07:47 PM
  #6  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would just go through all the steps to setting up and adjusting the rear derailleur from scratch. There are plenty of detailed videos on youtube that clearly walk through all the steps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQncKmddahk

But it does sound like chain tension, indexing
rms13 is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 08:23 PM
  #7  
bt
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it clearly has a virus....
bt is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 08:27 PM
  #8  
kookie
Member
 
kookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is for Shimano Di2 rear derailleur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTx_jIUzxc

Also check that you have the lastest firmware updates.

Last edited by kookie; 05-17-15 at 08:32 PM.
kookie is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 08:30 PM
  #9  
CafeVelo
Senior Member
 
CafeVelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,040

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, this is why we don't need electronic groupsets
CafeVelo is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 08:30 PM
  #10  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kookie View Post
This one is for Shimano Di2 rear derailleur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmTx_jIUzxc
oops, missed the Di2 part of the problem
rms13 is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 08:33 PM
  #11  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,668

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
OP what wheelset did you get? Is bother Di2 and the wheelset the stock supplied equipment for this bike?

Many wheels need a re-dish (or spacer removed) to run 11speed Shimano....The problem may well be your rear wheel and not the gruppo at all.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-17-15 at 08:39 PM.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 09:41 PM
  #12  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,686

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
did you try turning it off and on a couple of times? that's what the guy on the 'chat' line at "Best Buy" told me to do to my computer when my new Logitech Wireless keyboard and Mouse weren't working properly... still didn't work.
hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 09:43 PM
  #13  
Marcus_Ti 
Frozen Solid.
 
Marcus_Ti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 4,668

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
did you try turning it off and on a couple of times? that's what the guy on the 'chat' line at "Best Buy" told me to do to my computer when my new Logitech Wireless keyboard and Mouse weren't working properly... still didn't work.
Best Buy online chat....last bastion of the damned.
Marcus_Ti is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 10:02 PM
  #14  
bt
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
re format the hard drive...
bt is offline  
Old 05-17-15, 11:20 PM
  #15  
SevenTwentyNine
Senior Member
 
SevenTwentyNine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 415

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canuckcicle View Post
Picked up my new cervelo yesterday which is equipped with ultegra 6870 groupset. I went out on my ride this morning and the shifting was terrible. It was shifting two gears at a time or sometimes it would shift on gear then another a couple rotations of the crank later. Every gear that it stayed in was noisy and skipping. When I was on the trainer getting fit, I stupidly did not go through all the gears and did not notice the problem.

I put it on the bike on the stand and immediately noticed that it will only shift ten gears and will not go onto the eleven cog. I put it into adjustment mode and can make the fifth cog run smooth, but as soon as I put it into normal mode it's sloppy in all cogs but the fifth and still will not make the eleventh shift into the eleventh cog. Nothing happens when press the button like it's only ten cogs.

The shop is closed today and tomorrow is a stat holiday so I can't get it there until Tuesday evening. I was hoping I could maybe figure this out myself without having to take it back.

Shifters and derailleurs are Ultegra 6870. Cassette is Ultegra 11/28 11 speed. The crank is a Rotor 52/36. Low limit is adjusted so the chain doesn't shift into the spokes. High limit is completely backed off.

Any idea why it would behave this way?
Bent derailleur hanger is probably why you can't shift into all 11 gears. This problem is so easily overlooked. The slightest bang even when transporting the bike can shift the hanger and mess things up.

You just bought a brand new bike. You're breaking it and it's still coming into its own. These little issues will keep happening for a while. Just keep fixing it.
SevenTwentyNine is offline  
Old 05-20-15, 12:09 PM
  #16  
canuckcicle
ɹǝqɯǝW ɹoᴉunſ
Thread Starter
 
canuckcicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: 43.6525° -79.381667°
Posts: 88

Bikes: penny farthing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was the climbing shifter. Once they disconnected it the the indexing was correct and it worked in all 11 cogs. They installed a new shifter and bar wrap and everything is working great.
canuckcicle is offline  
Old 05-20-15, 03:07 PM
  #17  
cthenn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 2,410

Bikes: 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, 2016 Devinci Hatchet, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP View Post
I'm just here to congratulate you on a humorous thread title misspelling.
At least he didn't call it "Ultragear" which I have heard said in a bike shop.
cthenn is offline  
Old 05-20-15, 03:53 PM
  #18  
softreset
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn View Post
At least he didn't call it "Ultragear" which I have heard said in a bike shop.
Maybe he did and the autocorrect caught it and still failed.
softreset is offline  
Old 05-20-15, 04:05 PM
  #19  
greenlight149
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skynet is getting smarter, it'll make it look like an accident when the RD goes ballistic when you are least expecting it.
greenlight149 is offline  
Old 05-20-15, 06:13 PM
  #20  
bt
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canuckcicle View Post
It was the climbing shifter. Once they disconnected it the the indexing was correct and it worked in all 11 cogs. They installed a new shifter and bar wrap and everything is working great.
effing climbing shifter lol
bt is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
max1
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
2
03-19-18 08:54 AM
AverageBiker12
General Cycling Discussion
23
07-15-16 11:08 AM
eric716
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
11
08-14-09 02:20 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.