Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What's better? Fuji Sport or Trek?

Old 07-21-15, 05:33 PM
  #26  
DreamRider85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamRider85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
This would be equivalent Fuji to the Madone 2.1

Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

It's cheaper, it's a couple of pounds heavier but it has disc brakes. The discs and wheels probably account for the weight difference. Neither bike would be considered particularly light but you are not going to get a 15 pound bike at that price. I'd be happy with either one

A couple pounds does make a difference they say though
DreamRider85 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 05:45 PM
  #27  
PepeM
Senior Member
 
PepeM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,861
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
'They' say a lot of things.
PepeM is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 05:49 PM
  #28  
unabowler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 273

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
This would be equivalent Fuji to the Madone 2.1

Fuji Sportif 1.0 LE Road Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

It's cheaper, it's a couple of pounds heavier but it has disc brakes. The discs and wheels probably account for the weight difference. Neither bike would be considered particularly light but you are not going to get a 15 pound bike at that price. I'd be happy with either one
That Fuji is not 'equivalent' to a Madone except that it has 105 components. The Fuji has endurance geometry, a 'cross fork, and 28mm tires, whereas the Madone has racing geometry and 23mm tires.
unabowler is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 06:04 PM
  #29  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM View Post
Problem is, there is no such thing as 'better.' It all depends on what you're looking for. If it makes you feel better, if you get the Madone, or a similarly priced Fuji, you will be getting a quality bike that will serve you well. You really can't go wrong.
Well for the same price you can probably get this Fuji

Fuji Roubaix 1.1 Road Bike - 2015

Clearly a "better" bike than the Madone 2.1 based on spec but also a very different bike based on geometry
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 06:06 PM
  #30  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unabowler View Post
That Fuji is not 'equivalent' to a Madone except that it has 105 components. The Fuji has endurance geometry, a 'cross fork, and 28mm tires, whereas the Madone has racing geometry and 23mm tires.
That Madone is "H2" fit which is Trek's answer to endurance geo
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 06:56 PM
  #31  
jrossbeck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 265

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
So the Trek Madone 2.1 looks like a good bike. If I spent the same amount of money on a Fuji Bike, would it be better? Just want straight answers. I know I'll have to test and do bike fits and all that. But I'm not necessarily just looking for a ''bargain'' because I don't want to end up paying for it later on by getting a cheap bike.
One brand is not necessarily going to be "better" than the other. And possibly consider more brands (Specialized, Cannondale, etc). Keep an open mind, get fitted, do test rides. The best bike for you is the one that fits properly, and feels right when you're on it.

When I test rode the Trek Madone, it just felt right, more so than other bikes I tried. I knew it was a bike that would make me want to ride, even on days I was less than motivated. Over a year later, I still get excited everytime I get to ride it.

I hope you find a bike that makes you feel the same, be it Fuji, Trek or anything else. It's a big investment, don't rush it.
jrossbeck is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 07:54 PM
  #32  
DreamRider85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamRider85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jrossbeck View Post
One brand is not necessarily going to be "better" than the other. And possibly consider more brands (Specialized, Cannondale, etc). Keep an open mind, get fitted, do test rides. The best bike for you is the one that fits properly, and feels right when you're on it.

When I test rode the Trek Madone, it just felt right, more so than other bikes I tried. I knew it was a bike that would make me want to ride, even on days I was less than motivated. Over a year later, I still get excited everytime I get to ride it.

I hope you find a bike that makes you feel the same, be it Fuji, Trek or anything else. It's a big investment, don't rush it.

Thanks for the info. Madone is the one I keep looking at, assuming it would be better than the 1.2 or 1.5 Trek. I want a bike that will allow me to do 40 plus miles per day. Would Madone be good for that? Now as far as test rides, I've never done that. How does that work? You just go into the bike shop and they let you ride it for a certain amount of time?
DreamRider85 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 09:16 PM
  #33  
jrossbeck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 265

Bikes: '14 Trek Madone 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Thanks for the info. Madone is the one I keep looking at, assuming it would be better than the 1.2 or 1.5 Trek. I want a bike that will allow me to do 40 plus miles per day. Would Madone be good for that? Now as far as test rides, I've never done that. How does that work? You just go into the bike shop and they let you ride it for a certain amount of time?
Typically, yes. If you have your own helmet, bring it, along with comfortable clothes and shoes. They should measure you to determine your correct size, possibly hold your driver's license for collateral and send you off. If you've not ridden a road bike before, make sure they give you the nickel tour on shifting, braking, etc.
jrossbeck is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 09:19 PM
  #34  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Thanks for the info. Madone is the one I keep looking at, assuming it would be better than the 1.2 or 1.5 Trek. I want a bike that will allow me to do 40 plus miles per day. Would Madone be good for that? Now as far as test rides, I've never done that. How does that work? You just go into the bike shop and they let you ride it for a certain amount of time?
Wait... You haven't ridden any of these bikes yet?
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 09:26 PM
  #35  
Dave Cutter
Senior Member
 
Dave Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: D'uh... I am a Cutter
Posts: 6,159

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
Ride both and go with the one that FEELS better.
+1 I own a Trek 1.1 I bough a year ago.... AND a Fuji newest 3.0 I bought (about the same cost) in 2010. Both are nice bikes.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 07-22-15 at 09:22 AM.
Dave Cutter is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 09:33 PM
  #36  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If nothing else, the Trek will sell for a higher percentage of what you paid for it and it'll be easier to sell.

And to add fuel to the flames, Fuji likes to put junky components on their bikes. It's not JUST the frame that's different. I had a Fuji road bike that was advertised as being a carbon frame with Ultegra groupset. Guess what was Ultegra? The shifters and derailleurs, that's it. The brakes were Oval, the cassette was 105, the chain was KMC, and the cranks were some FSA junk. The saddle literally sold for $9.99 new, the wheels were 2,300 grams, the handlebar tape lasted about 200 miles, the tires punctured almost every ride (have not had a single flat since I changed them, not ONE, on this bike or the one that replaced it). And this was a $2k bike, imagine what it'll be like at a cheaper price point.

There's a REASON that Fuji is cheaper and it's not because they are feeling generous.

Last edited by Alias530; 07-21-15 at 09:39 PM.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 11:25 PM
  #37  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
If nothing else, the Trek will sell for a higher percentage of what you paid for it and it'll be easier to sell.

And to add fuel to the flames, Fuji likes to put junky components on their bikes. It's not JUST the frame that's different. I had a Fuji road bike that was advertised as being a carbon frame with Ultegra groupset. Guess what was Ultegra? The shifters and derailleurs, that's it. The brakes were Oval, the cassette was 105, the chain was KMC, and the cranks were some FSA junk. The saddle literally sold for $9.99 new, the wheels were 2,300 grams, the handlebar tape lasted about 200 miles, the tires punctured almost every ride (have not had a single flat since I changed them, not ONE, on this bike or the one that replaced it). And this was a $2k bike, imagine what it'll be like at a cheaper price point.

There's a REASON that Fuji is cheaper and it's not because they are feeling generous.
Madone 2.1 has low end Shimano cranks, no name brakes and Bontanger wheels and components which is Treks house brand equivalent to Fujis house brand Oval
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 11:33 PM
  #38  
DreamRider85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamRider85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
If nothing else, the Trek will sell for a higher percentage of what you paid for it and it'll be easier to sell.

And to add fuel to the flames, Fuji likes to put junky components on their bikes. It's not JUST the frame that's different. I had a Fuji road bike that was advertised as being a carbon frame with Ultegra groupset. Guess what was Ultegra? The shifters and derailleurs, that's it. The brakes were Oval, the cassette was 105, the chain was KMC, and the cranks were some FSA junk. The saddle literally sold for $9.99 new, the wheels were 2,300 grams, the handlebar tape lasted about 200 miles, the tires punctured almost every ride (have not had a single flat since I changed them, not ONE, on this bike or the one that replaced it). And this was a $2k bike, imagine what it'll be like at a cheaper price point.

There's a REASON that Fuji is cheaper and it's not because they are feeling generous.
Well if that's the case, then I think Fuji is out of the question. Too many things sound fishy. Like you said, there is a reason why they are cheaper.
DreamRider85 is offline  
Old 07-21-15, 11:42 PM
  #39  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Anything at the $2000 price point or less will have cheap wheels, saddle,bars, stem, seatpost and usually won't have complete group (cranks , brakes and casette). That's how they hit price points and that is the difference between $2000 and $4000+
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 01:21 AM
  #40  
lyrictenor1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 516

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alias530 has beef with Fuji bikes based on his post history here, so I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt. I've had no problem with Oval components; I've had them on a 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE (3600 miles), a 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.7 (1900 miles), and a 2011 Fuji SST (9300 miles in the last year). I ride on average 200-250 miles a week on my Fujis, and the components have been fine.

To count out the brand based one on guy's comment about his opinion about the finishing kit seems silly to me. However, since the early stages of this thread you seemed like you already madw your mind up for the Trek, so just get it already.

Btw, amy decent bike will allow you to ride for 40+ mile rides; the engine is the limiting factor.
lyrictenor1 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 01:38 AM
  #41  
rms13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,517
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
Alias530 has beef with Fuji bikes based on his post history here, so I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt. I've had no problem with Oval components; I've had them on a 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE (3600 miles), a 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.7 (1900 miles), and a 2011 Fuji SST (9300 miles in the last year). I ride on average 200-250 miles a week on my Fujis, and the components have been fine.

To count out the brand based one on guy's comment about his opinion about the finishing kit seems silly to me. However, since the early stages of this thread you seemed like you already madw your mind up for the Trek, so just get it already.

Btw, amy decent bike will allow you to ride for 40+ mile rides; the engine is the limiting factor.
Decided on Madone without riding any of them. Read some reviews on the Madone 2.1 and you'll see the brakes suck. But 5800 brakes are $50 from the UK and 5800 cranks are $100. Most people swap saddles immediately because its a personal fit preference as to what's comfortable. You can get 1500 g wheels for $250, Ultegra wheels for $300 and some good Fulcrums for $400. Buy the bike that speaks to you and you can upgrade parts down the road as you see fit. But if you buy the Madone you will probably want to upgrade brakes,cranks, saddle and wheels eventually just the same as any other bike in that range. Or youll ride for a year and decide to upgrade to a new bike
rms13 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 03:15 AM
  #42  
unabowler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 273

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
That Madone is "H2" fit which is Trek's answer to endurance geo
The geometry of the Domane (H3) is Trek's endurance geometry. It isn't an 'answer' in any sense as they had the old Trek Pilot bikes with it before it became popular.
unabowler is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 04:08 AM
  #43  
DreamRider85
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
DreamRider85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
So the Madone isn't a good quality bike then compared to the expensive ones? Just really confused here. You have one guy saying that Fuji is inferior, then others saying to take it with a grain of salt. There is a rider named DurianRider on youtube that said for about 1k, you can get a bike that works just as well as the 10 thousand dollar bikes and that you don't need an expensive one. And now people are saying that I might wanna change the saddle right away on the Madone. If that's the case, why wouldn't Madone just come with a comfortable saddle?

So when you go for these test rides, do the bike shops try to close you or sell you right then and there like car salesmen? Just asking. That's probably why I've been hesitant to try some.
DreamRider85 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 05:21 AM
  #44  
Igualmente
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't this discussion missing a critical element: what the OP actually wants to do with the bike? Maybe I missed it, but does a couple pounds of weight matter much if you are new to the sport, will not race for the foreseeable future and don't live in the mountains? On the other hand, if you are racing or climbing constantly, maybe there is a difference. I have a 20 or 21 pound bike that was fairly cheap, is not a major label, and has Tiagra 4600 shifting. It will serve my fitness/riding needs well for a long time in my hilly but not mountainous terrain, I suspect, and it has in no way held me back in doing what I want to on a bike. The wheels are heavy-ish, but still true after 3000 km, the Tiagra works but needed a couple of easy adjustments early on, the frame seems fine, etc. The biggest issue is the engine.

Also, I changed both tires and saddle on the bike. Both were unacceptable after some time riding, but I think many saddles get replaced because they don't work for the rider, and many tires get replaced. Plus, replacing both was not exactly expensive (especially to a much better tire).

All I've had to deal with was a chain replacement at 2300 or so km and that was cheap ($30 for an "ultegra" chain). Everything else just does the job that I need it to do.
Igualmente is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 07:27 AM
  #45  
cicatrize
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portage, MI
Posts: 227

Bikes: 2016 Emonda ALR 5, 2014 Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
So the Madone isn't a good quality bike then compared to the expensive ones? Just really confused here. You have one guy saying that Fuji is inferior, then others saying to take it with a grain of salt. There is a rider named DurianRider on youtube that said for about 1k, you can get a bike that works just as well as the 10 thousand dollar bikes and that you don't need an expensive one. And now people are saying that I might wanna change the saddle right away on the Madone. If that's the case, why wouldn't Madone just come with a comfortable saddle?

So when you go for these test rides, do the bike shops try to close you or sell you right then and there like car salesmen? Just asking. That's probably why I've been hesitant to try some.
Pay attention to the common denominator in the thread though. Ride the bikes and make your decision off of that.

Another main point being made is that bikes are priced a certain way for a reason. I don't think you're going to find a (new) $1000 bike that's better than a $1500 bike anywhere. There is a LOT that goes into price. My Emonda ALR 5 has a few components that aren't the greatest. There are "basic" Bontrager TLR wheels, a standard seat post, an OK saddle, and the handlebars aren't fantastic. But the price is $1600, and it comes with a full Shimano 105 5800 group. You can't even compare that bike to something like a $700 1.1, which has their lowest grade aluminum frame, bargain wheels and brakes, Claris derailleurs and shifters, and the worst crank I've ever used on a bike. Some people are happy with their 1.1's. For me, that bike was a nightmare because of components.
cicatrize is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 07:30 AM
  #46  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
Alias530 has beef with Fuji bikes based on his post history here, so I'd take his opinion with a grain of salt. I've had no problem with Oval components; I've had them on a 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE (3600 miles), a 2013 Fuji Sportif 1.7 (1900 miles), and a 2011 Fuji SST (9300 miles in the last year). I ride on average 200-250 miles a week on my Fujis, and the components have been fine.

To count out the brand based one on guy's comment about his opinion about the finishing kit seems silly to me. However, since the early stages of this thread you seemed like you already madw your mind up for the Trek, so just get it already.

Btw, amy decent bike will allow you to ride for 40+ mile rides; the engine is the limiting factor.
Prove that part of my post is wrong (everything was based on pure facts) and I'll paypal you $10. Eagerly waiting

If you want to convince yourself that Fuji is a great deal, go for it. My points were that Trek's hold resale value better-fact, that even $2k Fuji's come with a bunch of junk-fact, and that Trek's are easier to resell-fact (more recognizable name).
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 07:38 AM
  #47  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Decided on Madone without riding any of them. Read some reviews on the Madone 2.1 and you'll see the brakes suck. But 5800 brakes are $50 from the UK and 5800 cranks are $100. Most people swap saddles immediately because its a personal fit preference as to what's comfortable. You can get 1500 g wheels for $250, Ultegra wheels for $300 and some good Fulcrums for $400. Buy the bike that speaks to you and you can upgrade parts down the road as you see fit. But if you buy the Madone you will probably want to upgrade brakes,cranks, saddle and wheels eventually just the same as any other bike in that range. Or youll ride for a year and decide to upgrade to a new bike
It's a simple "you get what you pay for" issue.

You guys all act like you're shareholders for Fuji. Are you really that insecure about convincing yourself that you didn't get screwed that you have to convince the rest of us? I'm not saying you DID get screwed, I'm just saying you DIDN'T get an incredible deal. You simply got what you paid for and that's all I'm trying to make the new people recognize. They see a low price tag on the Fuji and think "OOOH, THAT ONE!" without knowing all the facts. As in just about all aspects of life, you get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Madone 2.1 has low end Shimano cranks, no name brakes and Bontanger wheels and components which is Treks house brand equivalent to Fujis house brand Oval

Except Trek's house brand is better than Fuji's. Go look around on Craigslist/Ebay. People can hardly give the Oval stuff away, yet Bontrager take-offs sell for almost full retail.
Alias530 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 07:44 AM
  #48  
lyrictenor1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 516

Bikes: 2016 Fuji SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry, it's not my fault that you didn't read the complete specs on the bike when you purchased it.

Btw, since your rhetorical skills are lacking, it was very hard to tell that resale value was the main point of your rambling post. You mentioned resale value in the first paragraph, then go on to vent about your perceived quality of the components (e.g. KMC chains being "junk" -- many, many cyclists in the know will say otherwise) without tying it back into what you said in the first paragraph. While your point about Trek's resale value is true, the rest of your post did little to support it. Trek's resale value is better due MOSTLY to brand recognition. Just because iPhones resell for more than top-of-the-line Android phones, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily better phones.

Keep your money.
lyrictenor1 is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 07:54 AM
  #49  
Bathwater
Senior Member
 
Bathwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13 View Post
Anything at the $2000 price point or less will have cheap wheels, saddle,bars, stem, seatpost and usually won't have complete group (cranks , brakes and casette). That's how they hit price points and that is the difference between $2000 and $4000+
This man is correct.


Dreamrider85-- just as an example, Specialized is guilty of exactly what the other poster was criticizing Fuji for:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Equipped with an FSA crank and proprietary brakes and wheels. Also, FD, chain and cassette are from a lower tier.
Bathwater is offline  
Old 07-22-15, 08:09 AM
  #50  
Alias530
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
Sorry, it's not my fault that you didn't read the complete specs on the bike when you purchased it.

Btw, since your rhetorical skills are lacking, it was very hard to tell that resale value was the main point of your rambling post. You mentioned resale value in the first paragraph, then go on to vent about your perceived quality of the components (e.g. KMC chains being "junk" -- many, many cyclists in the know will say otherwise) without tying it back into what you said in the first paragraph. While your point about Trek's resale value is true, the rest of your post did little to support it. Trek's resale value is better due MOSTLY to brand recognition. Just because iPhones resell for more than top-of-the-line Android phones, it doesn't mean that they are necessarily better phones.

Keep your money.
Do you think that people who come on a forum who ask a question like the one in the thread title know what an FSA Gossamer is compared to a Shimano Ultegra crank? Of course not. He could read the specs sheet til his eyes bleed and it won't paint that clear of a picture so I'm trying to help.

And I didn't say KMC was junk, I just said it wasn't Ultegra. Look at this bike-- F75 - Felt Bicycles ... EVERYTHING is 105. Felt doesn't mismatch a bunch of cheaper stuff to lower the price. Fuji advertised it as a bike with an Ultegra groupset, where only 3 of the 8 pieces were actually Ultegra, it's dishonest or at LEAST misleading in my eyes.

The Fuji was my first road bike and I didn't know any better, just trying to save him from falling into the same trap.
Alias530 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.