Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   Wind jackets. Should I go with light water-resistent, or heavier waterproof jacket? (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1038555-wind-jackets-should-i-go-light-water-resistent-heavier-waterproof-jacket.html)

PaulRivers 12-01-15 05:33 PM


Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 18357161)
Too heavy doesn't just mean it's a struggle to carry up the mountain, it means the fabric is too thick for its purpose in athletic activity.

I got the feeling from mention of pit zips that he was actually talking about the weight as in "this component adds 20 grams to my bike" regarding "weight". Maybe he can correct me if I'm wrong. I think he used the word "performance" referring to fabric working less effectively because of things like pockets:


Originally Posted by banerjek
I'm not a fan of pit zips, pockets, and the like because the increase the weight/bulk of the jacket and negatively impact performance.

I don't think "to thick for it's purpose in athletic activity" would describe shower's pass eVent fabric in their jackets.

fietsbob 12-01-15 05:37 PM

I have a light Activent jacket in a Closet , I actually wear a Parka.. Neon Lime , reflective bands ..
I have a Showers Pass Portland Jacket , Its kind of tweedy looking ..


The Gore Tex Company also has a division making stuff Too.

PaulRivers 12-01-15 05:39 PM


Originally Posted by Fly2High (Post 18356811)
I was out shopping and saw for the first time the P.R.O. line from Pearl Izumi for winter. This jacket reminded me of a Columbia system jacket in that it had a removable liner. Seemed to be very warm for those really cold days. Are you looking more for a waterproof jacket or are you looking to keep warm in cold temps (range?)

Thanks for mentioning this, but damn lol - their Men's Pro Softshell 180 jacket looks like it might be exactly what I was looking for for winter biking, but I just ordered a different jacket 2 days ago and it's arriving tomorrow. Hmm, wonder if I can find this in-store anywhere to try it out, I could return the other one it was from amazon...

Men's P.R.O. Softshell 180 Jacket - Pearl Izumi
Perfect for drier riding conditions with wind and water resistant Softshell in the front, and highly breathable thermal fabric on the back.

2manybikes 12-01-15 05:54 PM


Originally Posted by Machka (Post 18323827)
One of each!

I've got vests, lightweight wind jackets, and a couple different heavier waterproof breathable jackets.


I also have a Coleman rain jacket ... I wore it in cool rainy conditions over a couple weeks, and discovered that it was one of the coldest, most uncomfortable jackets I've ever cycled in. I think I would have been warmer and drier if I had gone without a jacket. It might have been all right for sitting around a campground on a drizzly day, but not for cycling.

Yes, you will end up needing both over time. I have layered multiple windbreakers too and it really helps. Good to have around when the temperature is going to be a wide swing during your ride. I Put the Coleman Jacket in the trunk of the car. It's not even comfortable sitting around a campground.

JohnDThompson 12-01-15 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by Fly2High (Post 18356811)
Just a thought, if a jacket is breathable, will it not let air out? What stops it from letting air in? I seriously doubt a jacket can be both breathable and windproof. Just seem contradictory.

That was the problem Gore-Tex was invented to address. Gore-Tex is a thin teflon membrane applied to a fabric backing. The teflon is stretched before being bonded to the fabric, in a manner that creates microscopic holes large enough to allow water vapor (i.e. sweat) to pass through, but too small to allow water droplets (i.e. rain) to enter. Thus, it can be both breathable and waterproof.

banerjek 12-01-15 06:26 PM


Originally Posted by PaulRivers (Post 18358577)
I got the feeling from mention of pit zips that he was actually talking about the weight as in "this component adds 20 grams to my bike" regarding "weight". Maybe he can correct me if I'm wrong. I think he used the word "performance" referring to fabric working less effectively because of things like pockets:



I don't think "to thick for it's purpose in athletic activity" would describe shower's pass eVent fabric in their jackets.

Actually, I was thinking too heavy for its intended purpose. All features add bulk which means they don't stuff in your pocket as nicely. if I need to open zips, I'll just stuff the jacket in my pocket or open it up a bit and widen the cuffs if I can't quite give up that much protection. Given all the other stuff I lug, a couple ounces makes no difference. The bulk though is relevant because your ability to carry stuff is limited.

EVent is good stuff and is many regard it as somewhat more breathable than Gore-Tex though it is also seen as less durable. Both products rely on the same basic technology. Regardless of what waterproof technology is used, other design characteristics as well as fit and layering strategy make a big difference in how a garment performs.

Fly2High 12-01-15 07:09 PM


Originally Posted by PaulRivers (Post 18358592)
Thanks for mentioning this, but damn lol - their Men's Pro Softshell 180 jacket looks like it might be exactly what I was looking for for winter biking, but I just ordered a different jacket 2 days ago and it's arriving tomorrow. Hmm, wonder if I can find this in-store anywhere to try it out, I could return the other one it was from amazon...

Men's P.R.O. Softshell 180 Jacket - Pearl Izumi
Perfect for drier riding conditions with wind and water resistant Softshell in the front, and highly breathable thermal fabric on the back.

Actually that one is nice too but the one I saw was at thebicycleplanet.com and was originally 375 but is on sale for much less

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell 3x1 Jacket - The Bicycle Planet Long Island NY

momo15 12-01-15 07:19 PM

The Gabba from Castelli is great as a windstopper as well as a rain jacket. It breathes well enough if you are not wearing it fully zipped in the 60's. I have the convertible with the option to remove the sleeves (to short sleeves, not sleevless), and more often than not, I leave the sleeves off and wear armwarmers. I have done wet cross races in the low 50's and cold and windy descents in the mid 40's with this setup and been comfortable the entire time.

Fly2High 12-02-15 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Fly2High (Post 18358815)
Actually that one is nice too but the one I saw was at thebicycleplanet.com and was originally 375 but is on sale for much less

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell 3x1 Jacket - The Bicycle Planet Long Island NY


Well I thought it was so nice that I decided to buy it myself!!! Sorry!! It was the last one they said. I even got a 10% extra of the 262.50 price for being a bike club member.


It has a snap in balaclava, bag, lite-fill insulated liner (that has separate zippers to control heat) and a couple zippered pockets. Really like it. Also, it is a bit more form fitted than the Elite Softshell I have and definitely warmer. I am sure this will take me to the single digits with the liner in and cover what the other jacket does as well. Both myself and the salesman agree that PI should have continued making this jacket.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=491347

PaulRivers 12-03-15 02:10 AM


Originally Posted by Fly2High (Post 18358815)
Actually that one is nice too but the one I saw was at thebicycleplanet.com and was originally 375 but is on sale for much less

Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Softshell 3x1 Jacket - The Bicycle Planet Long Island NY

Tried some other Pearl Izumi stuff as REI tonight. I always have an issue trying to find clothing that's long enough, I'm not overly tall just have a longer torso. :-/ Seemed like whatever sizing Pearl Izumi uses is not for me after all...

PaulRivers 12-03-15 02:23 AM


Originally Posted by banerjek (Post 18358711)
Actually, I was thinking too heavy for its intended purpose. All features add bulk which means they don't stuff in your pocket as nicely. if I need to open zips, I'll just stuff the jacket in my pocket or open it up a bit and widen the cuffs if I can't quite give up that much protection. Given all the other stuff I lug, a couple ounces makes no difference. The bulk though is relevant because your ability to carry stuff is limited.

Ah, closer to what I was saying, but not exactly the same thing. My Shower's Pass jacket is packable enough for travelling but not for a jersey pocket. My use is winter riding, I haven't tried opening up the cuffs but it would put losing heat at the wrong end of the jacket.


Originally Posted by banerjek (Post 18358711)
EVent is good stuff and is many regard it as somewhat more breathable than Gore-Tex though it is also seen as less durable. Both products rely on the same basic technology. Regardless of what waterproof technology is used, other design characteristics as well as fit and layering strategy make a big difference in how a garment performs.

It's not the right fit for me personally, but I saw (I think) this jacket at Erik's made out of windstopper "active" and it looked like you're describing, very lightweight and low bulk, much smaller packed up than my showers pass jacket. Sounds like you might be able to get full goretex jacket's at that size as well though:
Specialized Deflect H20 Expert Jacket

MagicHour 12-03-15 09:31 AM

That's the Morphis jacket. Yeah I like mine, not a true rain jacket but does have some water resistance and is fairly well vented.

LIKES:
trimmer fit than other convertible jkts tried and vest mode looks good and not too baggy; versatile; hi-vis(mines hi-vis yellow); vented; longer back tail; zippered back pocket; easy conversion on AND off, good value.

DISLIKES:
easy conversion comes at a price-magnets make it a bit heavy; not packable, although just the sleeve cape stows fine in jersey pocket.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.


Originally Posted by jtaylor996 (Post 18357208)
Well, I just ordered this cannondale jacket yesterday. Yay or nay here?


Fly2High 12-04-15 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by PaulRivers (Post 18362344)
Tried some other Pearl Izumi stuff as REI tonight. I always have an issue trying to find clothing that's long enough, I'm not overly tall just have a longer torso. :-/ Seemed like whatever sizing Pearl Izumi uses is not for me after all...


Just a head's up, make sure you try it in a 'cycling' position. Most are cut a little shorter in the front so that when you are bent over you do not have a big fold in front of material in the way. I hear you. Some can be rediculously short/long. Having a bit of weight still to lose, I tend to go to larger sizes and I have found, infrequently though, that some jackets and jerseys are too long.

In the end I hope you find what you are looking for and suites your needs so you can continue riding all year long.

happy holidays and best wishes

C9H13N 12-07-15 10:21 AM


Originally Posted by colnago62 (Post 18343777)
If you get a chance, check out the Gabba jersey or the Transperante Due jersey Castelli. It is made of Windstopper, but without any insulation.

I actually bought a Gabba LS from backcountry during the black Friday sale, based on yours and some others' recommendations, here and elsewhere. Thank you!

I've only worn the Gabba a few times thus far, so first impressions only... Love the cut, lower body is very closely fit (unlike some other Castelli jerseys I have that are inexplicably loose around the stomach). Much cooler while riding fast than my Gore Fusion jacket, and so much more useful for Seattle "winters". Layering it with a long sleeve compression shirt works well, lightweight merino base layer might work in a pinch, but nothing heavier than that will fit underneath, because the sleeves are tight against my entire arm. Not uncomfortably so, but enough to see veins in my forearms (and I don't have huge arms, at all).


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.