Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/)
-   -   December 40 Hour Challenge (https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1040177-december-40-hour-challenge.html)

StanSeven 12-01-15 09:53 PM


Originally Posted by DrIsotope (Post 18358845)
December the 1st


Originally Posted by FLvector (Post 18358942)
Dang, I forgot my Garmin today which is a rare event, so no proof of the ride. Guess I'll "officially" begin tomorrow.

No problem. My watch says today is the 31st

superdex 12-01-15 09:57 PM


Originally Posted by merlinextraligh (Post 18357944)
It's really to motivate yourself, so count whatever you want. Personally I train by time and intensity, so I'd count indoors, but hope to avoid that as much as possible.

Should be not too hard considering where you are ;)

Today: 0.
Tomorrow: >0 (stay tuned)

Nachoman 12-01-15 09:59 PM

Light 20 minute spin on the trainer.

.
edit: i've got a long way to go.

B. Carfree 12-01-15 11:02 PM


Originally Posted by superdex (Post 18359183)
Should be not too hard considering where you are ;)

That's what I was thinking, but then I remembered that I also live in a place with over 360 days per year of good cycling weather.

superdex 12-01-15 11:07 PM


Originally Posted by B. Carfree (Post 18359310)
That's what I was thinking, but then I remembered that I also live in a place with over 360 days per year of good cycling weather.

yeah I can't really throw anything his way, I'm in the same boat. Pretty rideable (provided you're clothed properly) all the time here too....

f4rrest 12-01-15 11:57 PM

Oh crap.

Just realized it's the last month of the year in which to hit my mileage goal.

Thanks for the reminder.

BoSoxYacht 12-02-15 06:30 AM


Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 18359153)
Here's the link to the CTS Cycling Challenge:
CTS December Cycling Challenge! Are you up for it? - CTS

which should answer a lot of questions about what counts. It says specifically and only "riding," by which I assume bicycle riding is meant. So indoor, outdoor, but it has to be done on a bike.

riding and pedaling are different. If you stay in one place, it is just pedaling. Training or racing at an indoor velodrome or bike park is riding, taking a spin class or using rollers is just pedaling.

BoSoxYacht 12-02-15 06:33 AM

December 1st 2:15:56 (41.69 miles).

YogaKat 12-02-15 06:42 AM

Dec 1st - 1.5 hours.

https://www.strava.com/activities/442643722

mcours2006 12-02-15 07:21 AM

2'45"

Carbonfiberboy 12-02-15 10:03 AM


Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 18359587)
riding and pedaling are different. If you stay in one place, it is just pedaling. Training or racing at an indoor velodrome or bike park is riding, taking a spin class or using rollers is just pedaling.

I just asked Chris. He might reply. However this means that you can't count any indoor.

BoSoxYacht 12-02-15 10:09 AM


Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 18360110)
I just asked Chris. He might reply. However this means that you can't count any indoor.

SpeshulEd is the only Arizonian that is riding indoors.

The whole thing of the challenge is that it's harder to ride outdoors because of cooler weather/lack of daylight. If you allow riding indoors, what is the challenge?

silversx80 12-02-15 10:46 AM

As I read it, the challenge is more due to many reasons. Yes, daylight hours and weather play a major role, but the holidays, travel, etc. also make getting hours in the saddle difficult. Spinning or riding, putting in the time (properly) will help your strength and performance on the bike. As I understand it, that's the point.

Carbonfiberboy 12-02-15 10:48 AM


Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 18360128)
SpeshulEd is the only Arizonian that is riding indoors.

The whole thing of the challenge is that it's harder to ride outdoors because of cooler weather/lack of daylight. If you allow riding indoors, what is the challenge?

The challenge for those of us who live north of Arizona would managing to ride outside at all. Would be, that is if indoors were disallowed. That places an artificial geographical barrier to meeting the challenge. "Cooler weather" is not the issue. How about pouring rain after dark during rush hour? Or how about we've had ice covered roads here for the last week? Anyone for a pelvic fracture? Our group just had one of those. This issue of yours is totally geographist.

BoSoxYacht 12-02-15 10:53 AM

Every winter it's the same thing.

People whine about the weather in their area, but never seem to realize that they can change it.

mcours2006 12-02-15 11:10 AM


Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 18360280)
Every winter it's the same thing.

People whine about the weather in their area, but never seem to realize that they can change it.

Curious, how would one change the weather/climate in an area?

mcours2006 12-02-15 11:11 AM

I agree. It doesn't make sense to count indoor miles. The challenge, if not, then should, be about getting outside to ride, especially for those who live in places with four seasons.

RidingMatthew 12-02-15 11:22 AM

Dec 1: 1h30m 21.8 miles

merlinextraligh 12-02-15 12:00 PM


Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 18360110)
I just asked Chris. He might reply. However this means that you can't count any indoor.

I'm pretty sure Carmichael will say trainer hours count. Training is all about time and intensity, whether its on a trainer or on the road. Some of the CTS workouts are actually better done on a trainer because you can control the variables, without interruption.

And anyone who sits on a trainer for 40 hours this month has a lot more willpower than I do.

I didn't link the CTS challenge web page originally because I didn't want the thread to become a Chris Carmichael bashing thread.

merlinextraligh 12-02-15 12:03 PM


Originally Posted by qcpmsame (Post 18359606)
Merlin, can we just update our initial post, or do you want new posts each day? Sorry for being dense, I just don't want to cause problems for anyone, Thanx.

Bill

I think it should be new posts. If we all jus edit our original post, the thread won't get bumped. And we'll have a more impressive page count!

merlinextraligh 12-02-15 12:05 PM


Originally Posted by superdex (Post 18359183)
Should be not too hard considering where you are ;)

Today: 0.
Tomorrow: >0 (stay tuned)

No doubt. You still have the problem of short days, and holiday distractions.

But given that I'm working as a consultant right now and have some control of my schedule, I can ride in the daylight.

Only problem I have is we're going to Europe last part of the month so I've got to get it in early.

merlinextraligh 12-02-15 12:07 PM

3'02" 56.2 miles

Activity | TrainingPeaks

5 hours down, 35 to go.

Carbonfiberboy 12-02-15 12:10 PM


Originally Posted by merlinextraligh (Post 18360535)
I'm pretty sure Carmichael will say trainer hours count. Training is all about time and intensity, whether its on a trainer or on the road. Some of the CTS workouts are actually better done on a trainer because you can control the variables, without interruption.

And anyone who sits on a trainer for 40 hours this month has a lot more willpower than I do.

I didn't link the CTS challenge web page originally because I didn't want the thread to become a Chris Carmichael bashing thread.

The thing about the page link it that's where you get the (almost) free hat. Though I suppose some would think it a badge of shame, as you say . . . But then there are the folks, like me, who are doing the 9-week November-December CTS trainer workouts Chris published earlier.

BoSoxYacht 12-02-15 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 18360334)
Curious, how would one change the weather/climate in an area?

You don't change the climate in an area, you change your address to an area with a better climate.

silversx80 12-02-15 12:27 PM


Originally Posted by BoSoxYacht (Post 18360582)
You don't change the climate in an area, you change your address to an area with a better climate.

Sam? Sam Kinison? I thought you were dead.

"live where the food is!!!"


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.